FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Schools !!

Schools !!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As you all know my daughter is disabled so she goes to a special school in Essex (Chelmsford)and i can't praise it enough, the Teacher's and LEA'S are constantly being beaten up etc yet they stand their ground with a smile on their face. This morning i wrote something on facebook which i would like to share with you also regarding the Headmaster!!

Just read a letter from Josie's Headmaster saying that he is pleased at how well she has come on since being in KS2. This is her final year in the lower school next year she goes up to the Columbus College until she is 23yrs of age. This Headmaster is amazing he is about 5ft 2 and takes anything that is thrown at him (even the fiercest tempers). He knows everybodys name from the age of 2 1/2 at nursery level to 23 college level. He is a friend to the family even more so when the inevitable happens, nobody calls him Sir as he considers himself as an equal. I love that school and i have another 10yrs of not having to worry :0)

I will be 61 yrs of age then and i wonder if i will be able to cope.

What i wondered is did any of you have children later in life, if so do you wish that maybe you had them earlier so that you had your lives to your self now or was you happy to live the high life when younger ?? (Perky)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can't answer your question but just wanted to say people who work with children with any sort of disability, be it mental or physical, are high up on my respect list!

I've worked on an inclusion play scheme in the past but found I didn't have the patience for it I hate that I'm like this but glad that I decided not to carry on working there instead of working there and not giving the children the best care they could get.

So well done to all the staff at your daughters school. They're doing something I know I could never do and they deserve all the praise in the world.

I've always thought about this too.

My conclusion is that ... when you have children when you're younger I think it's easier to just get on with it and enjoy it.

I had my daughter later, had a career and as far as I was concerned my job completely defined who I was. I had freedom and a good social life and a lot of friends my age who also hadn't got children. Although my daughter was planned, the complete change of lifestyle came as as quite a shock and I ended up with post natal depression. Although when you're older you're wiser, it doesn't always help.

I think it's good to have your family early (but not too early lol)

I don't think I'd change it if I could though.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Its difficult for me to answer really, i had a young mum (she had had three children by 23) i was 25 which i guess is average. There was however, 2 children in my sons class whose mothers where both 45 when they had them. Both studious children and i guess a little old fashioned in the way they where dressed. But as far as anything else went they where just the same as the other kids. Although i never planned an age to have children i think for me 25 was just about right

I hope this doesn't offend anyone its not ment too it Is just my opinion, but speaking as a child of someone who had me late in life I think It's quite a selfish act, don't get me wrong I loved my mom but she was in her 40's when she had me and suffered with age related ill health ever since I can remember so I never got a proper childhood so to speak I spent a lot of my time looking after her as my dad is disabled too, I never got the parents that came to sports day or played in the garden with me or anything active our yearly holiday was a day trip to blackpool and then had to push her in her chair, so to me it seems selfish to have children late in life,

And speaking as a parent now I was 23 and 26 when we had our kids and although it was tough when we first started Mrs liddy was only 18 and 21 I wouldn't change a thing, they are 15 and 11 and able to fend for themselves nearly and we are only 38 and 32 so although when everyone was enjoying themselves we were in once we hit 40 our life kicks off while others are still been parents, roll on them moving out lol

My experience is slightly different, I had my kids when I was 27. They are now grown up, have left home and I thought I was going to have a life of peace, doing what I wanted when I wanted. Then 18 months ago Pete's ex died suddenly, leaving 2 children then aged 6 & 8. Im now a full time mum all over again and I must admit I find it hard. I do resent it sometimes when we get invited out and cant get a sitter so have to cancel and im not really looking forward to having kids around for at least another 10 years. I think its easier having kids when you are younger when you have more patience and energy and having your own life later on.

We have had children both ends of the age group. I was 18 when i had my first. I now look back and see how stressed i was. All 3 of my children are now in their 2o's and no longer live at home.

We now have guardian ship of our grandchildren and are a lot more laid back and wouldn't change it for a single day.

When the eldest comes home and says says so and so thinks you and granddad are our mummy and daddy and we ask what did you say? Her reply is she didn't.

We are accepted as their parents even though we are a good 10 yrs older than the rest.

We are also a lot more laid back xx

Plus granddad gets away with doing silly things xx

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

I'm also experiencing motherhood at both ends of the scale. I had my 4 children from a young age and once I reached 40 was really glad I'd had them young and they had flown the nest. I was single by then, I returned to full time work, re-established my career, bought my first house on my own and started to enjoy life again. Then this grandson was born and that ended my life as I knew it. He was sent/brought round every weekend to stay (whether I wanted or not), or he and his mother moved in for months on end. Then when he was nearly 3 he was finally left here for good as his mother announced she didn't want him. End result I'm now a very much older 'mum', I work full time and am still single. It's bloody hard work and I'm still pretty angry about it all. I love this child but believe me, parenthood later in life is no joke. He starts school on Monday and guess who will be feeling a right geriatric!!

» Add a new message to this topic