So much more...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

BOJO for PM please

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"BOJO for PM please "

He certainly seems to be setting out his stall. Conference will be interesting this year.

To be honest, I have a little confidence in the vast majority of today’s career type politicians……

Although saying that, I do believe William Hague has matured into someone with statesman like qualities….!.

I would rather give him a second chance to lead the country than any of Cameron’s opponents or rivals ……

But strangely enough I do think Willy Hague and Bojo could form an extremly formidable partnership, but I’m slightly at a loss who I’d select as chancellor, unless of course Ken Clark would reprise the effective roll he undertook back in the day, but obviously minus any allegiance to joining the Euro etc….

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

Tories problem is lack of strength in depth, and having to appease the cleggites

Lack of ethnic minorities? People like kwarsie kwarteng are not good enough for a cabinet post even with an Eton education

Frank Dobson said to me once about Oliver letwin "educated beyond his intelligence"

It happens whichever party has been out of government for a long time. You never know who will have the talent when the time comes

I think there is a real issue that we are getting more and more politicians with little experience of anything else. PPE at Oxbridge, internship followed by a researcher role with an MP and then selection. How do they develop leadership skills in that environment?

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

"I think there is a real issue that we are getting more and more politicians with little experience of anything else. PPE at Oxbridge, internship followed by a researcher role with an MP and then selection. How do they develop leadership skills in that environment?"

I have argued the same for years, the days of the industrialist coming into politics late are over

Same with the traditional labour route of factory floor through the unions, now they are looking for a paid post within the union that is non electable to get their feet under the table with no real world experience

[Removed by poster at 07/09/12 10:26:17]

If anyone watched the Young Conservatives program on TV recently you'd have seen that to get anywhere in politics one needs connections. If your mater & pater aren't connected you've got no chance, even with an Oxbridge education, as your peers with connections will have left you lagging behind before you even get started. It applies to all the main parties these days which makes it harder for the common man to rise either through the unions or through business and gain a foothold in politics. The only exception to this rule is through the celebrity route but one can only rise so far in politics before it becomes another 'Regan for Pres' running joke.

As for a BoJo/Hague ticket - I think that could work as Cameron seems to dither too much instead of making the hard calls and getting on with it.

Have zero faith in the current government . Labour are weak at best , something about miliband just seems off , plus the fact they were at the helm when they took us into this shit but seem determined to balme everyone else for it . As for what i call posh boys being career politicians thats exactly the way its going , no experience of anything other than being yes men , no thanks the days of true genuine democracy and politcs are long gone , what we got now as i see it is a bunch of clones with no good ideas bewteen the lot of them . As for the lib dems ....seriously ? a political party ?? More like mercenaries to the highest bidder they utterly disgust me . Up here the SNP ....oh dear oh dear the politics is just dire ,childish and basically seems like a few hours of calling each other names with nothing getting done .

Agree with the above re-selection of MP's totally.

But we need to find a way of making this country less a 2 party system. There is no difference in any of the parties, or no-one with courage to speak up for change and break the party line.

Also the level of access to ministers from people who donate to the parties is frightening. Effectively forcing policy because they're big donors. Just wrong.

It is hard to get access to ministers but you can usually drag an MP into one of the Westminster pubs for a chat if you do it in the right way.

Seriously, we are a two party country already and there is little between them. There is only so much centre ground. I fear we end up voting for ideologies instead of ideas and policies.

"It is hard to get access to ministers but you can usually drag an MP into one of the Westminster pubs for a chat if you do it in the right way.

Seriously, we are a two party country already and there is little between them. There is only so much centre ground. I fear we end up voting for ideologies instead of ideas and policies."

That's not such a bad thing really if you think about it. If we had polarised political parties who were so far opposite each other we'd end up with a government where less than 50% of the electorate are represented idealogically. With the two main parties sitting almost in tandem in the centre ground most of the populace can find something to agree with in both sets of policies. All we need to do now is come up with a system that cherry picks the best policies, and the best people to implement them, from across the divide.

Did anyone hear the News Quiz on R4 today? Very amusing about Hunt getting the Health brief.

So, how do you all feel about the call for mandatory plastic bottles and glasses in pubs?

"So, how do you all feel about the call for mandatory plastic bottles and glasses in pubs?"

Is that the proposal?

Plastic glasses for Remy Martin?

Dicks.

"So, how do you all feel about the call for mandatory plastic bottles and glasses in pubs?

Is that the proposal?

Dicks."

It was the debate on Tuesday afternoon. It comes from the evidence of maxilo facial surgeons saying that it would reduce injuries in the same way that seat belts have.

"So, how do you all feel about the call for mandatory plastic bottles and glasses in pubs?

Is that the proposal?

Dicks.

It was the debate on Tuesday afternoon. It comes from the evidence of maxilo facial surgeons saying that it would reduce injuries in the same way that seat belts have."

Why would they suggest a measure that would seriously impact on thier earning potential?

There was some old bint on TV today, Joan Bakewell, 'suggesting' that a minimum price per unit of alcohol would save the lives of thousands of old people from binge drinking... so it's the old fuckers fault now huh? not the youngsters?

See where I'm going with this

Is that the proposal?

Dicks.

It was the debate on Tuesday afternoon. It comes from the evidence of maxilo facial surgeons saying that it would reduce injuries in the same way that seat belts have.

Why would they suggest a measure that would seriously impact on thier earning potential?

There was some old bint on TV today, Joan Bakewell, 'suggesting' that a minimum price per unit of alcohol would save the lives of thousands of old people from binge drinking... so it's the old fuckers fault now huh? not the youngsters?

See where I'm going with this"

We could just use sippy cups - from cradle to grave.

just another way of the government deciding whats good for you and whats not . Honestly i think they look at the general population of the country as nothing more than kids at best and an intolerable blot at worst on their wondeful country that they "work" and "serve" for . Cant remember the song was it im an asshole ? anyway basically the guy talks about if he wants to walk down the road smoking a big fuck off cigar munching the worst food possible and a bottle of jack in his hand then thats fine or words to that effect anyway , i personally hate it when the government comes out with this rubbish ,sorry but im an adult i'll make my own decisions on things .

Ed Balls and Vince Cable cosying up to each other on the Andrew Marr Show.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

an open letter saying let's fix it together...lol..a lot of bluff and double bluff happening me thinks.

"just another way of the government deciding whats good for you and whats not . Honestly i think they look at the general population of the country as nothing more than kids at best and an intolerable blot at worst on their wondeful country that they "work" and "serve" for . Cant remember the song was it im an asshole ? anyway basically the guy talks about if he wants to walk down the road smoking a big fuck off cigar munching the worst food possible and a bottle of jack in his hand then thats fine or words to that effect anyway , i personally hate it when the government comes out with this rubbish ,sorry but im an adult i'll make my own decisions on things . "

Was Denis Leary, back when he was funny in his 'No Cure for Cancer' show.

I think that government can succesfully legislate for our collective H+S good, occasionally. Seatbelts being the prime example. No-one could argue that it hasn't reduced road deaths overall.

Its just the hair brained stuff they come up with that the Daily Wail loves to bang on about thats the problem.

Sometimes you can't legislate for peoples stupidity. The level crossing thing makes me laugh. The activists that want all of them abolished in favour of bridges/tunnels just because people insist on going through flashing lights. If you cannot see the health and safety implications of putting yourself in the path of several hundred tons of train then you deserve all you get. No legislation is needed and the world is better off with you out of the gene pool.

As for plastic glasses, I would agree with that in the nightclub areas of towns

and cities. Places with loads of pissheads where bottling and glassing are common. Your rural pub is a completely different case and theres no need.

I saw a headline in a paper today that said Cameron has run out of ideas. On another page was an editorial that Labour is on the rise and at their most critical point. Sadly, I couldn't read either article.

Anyone care to fill me in?

"I saw a headline in a paper today that said Cameron has run out of ideas. On another page was an editorial that Labour is on the rise and at their most critical point. Sadly, I couldn't read either article.

Anyone care to fill me in?"

Serious replys please ref - please fill me in

"Anyone care to fill me in?

Serious replys please ref - please fill me in"

Erm, I'll claim Freudian slip

Chuka Umunna on Newsnight - he'd get my vote.

"Anyone care to fill me in?

Serious replys please ref - please fill me in

Erm, I'll claim Freudian slip "

I'll let you off on this occasion

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Chuka Umunna on Newsnight - he'd get my vote."

He's the rising star of the Labour party, a very credible candidate for a future leader....a very clever young man.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

it's a bit sad,and considerably more worrying.

that today's politicians are so weak,and unimpressive,bojo is considered a viable alternative,and potential prime minister,scary.

don't get me wrong,i like bojo,but prime minister material,he is not.

Torquay

"it's a bit sad,and considerably more worrying.

that today's politicians are so weak,and unimpressive,bojo is considered a viable alternative,and potential prime minister,scary.

don't get me wrong,i like bojo,but prime minister material,he is not. "

Ssssshhhhh......we want the Tories to have him as their leader....it's the Labour secret weapon for 2015.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

re... reshuffle...

all i will say is this....

so we now have a climate change sceptic as enviroment secretary...

a minister for health who prefers homeopathy...

a culture secretary who isn't that interester in culture

a transport secretary who is scared of flying...

the person in charge of the arts council is the person responsible for big brother...

and the justice secretary has a history in tv production

but other than that..... changing the seats on the titanic springs to mind....

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

Ssssshhhhh......we want the Tories to have him as their leader....it's the Labour secret weapon for 2015.

"

unfortunately,he'll still give ed a run for his money.

we need a change of brother.

Torquay

unfortunately,he'll still give ed a run for his money.

we need a change of brother. "

Ed's just the night watchman.....

"

Labour will definitely lose if BoJo is Tory Leader and stands as Prime Minister. The fact the more of the electorate can identify him and name him will swing the vote for Tories. Ed Milliband has not developed a screen persona.

"re... reshuffle...

all i will say is this....

so we now have a climate change sceptic as enviroment secretary...

a minister for health who prefers homeopathy...

a culture secretary who isn't that interester in culture

a transport secretary who is scared of flying...

the person in charge of the arts council is the person responsible for big brother...

and the justice secretary has a history in tv production

but other than that..... changing the seats on the titanic springs to mind...."

Don't forget no shuffle of a chancellor who is booed on an international stage.

By *astpoetMan  over a year ago

where the world takes me

The last time a man portrayed as a buffoon in the media won the seat of power in a major international state we ended up at war.

Judge not Mr Johnson on his "humour" but instead on his articles in the Telegraph/Spectator, calling for the dismantling of the NHS or privatisation of prisons.

An idiot he is not, a scarily Thatcherite politician, with interests in keeping power in the hands of the rich he is.

"The last time a man portrayed as a buffoon in the media won the seat of power in a major international state we ended up at war.

Judge not Mr Johnson on his "humour" but instead on his articles in the Telegraph/Spectator, calling for the dismantling of the NHS or privatisation of prisons.

An idiot he is not, a scarily Thatcherite politician, with interests in keeping power in the hands of the rich he is."

He is disarmingly charming and most people will not be aware of his published views. He liked for HIGNFY and now for the 2012 Games. Getting stuck on a zipwire has endeared him to people instead of putting them off.

Politicians as celebrity is sadly where it is at.

By *astpoetMan  over a year ago

where the world takes me

"The last time a man portrayed as a buffoon in the media won the seat of power in a major international state we ended up at war.

An idiot he is not, a scarily Thatcherite politician, with interests in keeping power in the hands of the rich he is.

He is disarmingly charming and most people will not be aware of his published views. He liked for HIGNFY and now for the 2012 Games. Getting stuck on a zipwire has endeared him to people instead of putting them off.

Politicians as celebrity is sadly where it is at."

Yup sadly i realise that one, personally i blame a press that has a vested in interested in keeping people stupid.

Far easier to build a picture of Boris the charming buffoon than to print real critiques of his views and policies.

And to me that's the real corrosion of democracy

By *andyguy59Man  over a year ago

Gatwick

"Far easier to build a picture of Boris the charming buffoon than to print real critiques of his views and policies."

As you say Boris is not stupid and he knows this image is getting him votes....He actively seeks out opportunities to make himself more Amusing / Entertaining for the press to publish and he is very good at doing it.

The majority of the Public who vote for him have no idea of his politics. They do vote for him because he makes them laugh.

In the main Mr average is not interested in politics (until it has a direct effect on them). The Politicians that have realised that have now know that there are 'better' methods of getting a vote that have nothing to do with politics at all.

Maybe it's not a corrosion of democracy, as people still have the choise of for whom they vote, it is what they are voting for that is being manipulated by the political players.

It was a good speech yesterday though - I would like him in any place where I need a motivational build up? YES

Would I want him to run the country?

Of course not - but I think one day he will.

» Add a new message to this topic