FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hotel prices since covid

Hotel prices since covid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *esmond and Molly Jones OP   Couple  over a year ago

Watford

We have used Travelodges often over the years and used to stay at Heathrow T5 for Abfab visits and sometimes the Cheshunt one. Prices at the latter were usually £65 ish up to about £80.

I just checked for a stay for tonight, and it's over £150!

Forget it!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yes I have noticed. What used to be affordable for an overnight stay if you'd been out is now out of the question.

By *ave1963BarnsleyMan  over a year ago

Barnsley

Yep, I spent the night with a fellow Fabber in a Travelodge recently and noticed the price increase.

Hopefully soon though I'll be moving so will be able to accommodate.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Prices are particularly high at the moment. I'm hoping once the schools go back and everyone has enjoyed a staycation things will become more settled as we head into September. If not hotels will sit empty. That's my hope anyway, if not we will all have to buy a tent

Mrs C

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I understand that the hotel and holiday industry needs to recoup it's losses but can't help but feel they're taking advantage.

By *l MateMan  over a year ago

Sheffield Centre

I noticed that as well. Many chain hotels that were £60 a night are now £80. I know they are trying to recoup losses from the pandemic, but is that the best way to win people back?

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

"I noticed that as well. Many chain hotels that were £60 a night are now £80. I know they are trying to recoup losses from the pandemic, but is that the best way to win people back?"

It's not just that they are trying to recoup losses, most hotels work on an algorithm, the more demand and greater occupancy levels, the higher the price and what with the majority of us holidaying in the UK, it stands to reason the prices will be higher.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I would think it’s because most people are staying in the Uk to holiday.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I would think it’s because most people are staying in the Uk to holiday. "

Yes me too. It might prove counter productive in the long run but people have short memories.

King's Crustacean

"I noticed that as well. Many chain hotels that were £60 a night are now £80. I know they are trying to recoup losses from the pandemic, but is that the best way to win people back?

It's not just that they are trying to recoup losses, most hotels work on an algorithm, the more demand and greater occupancy levels, the higher the price and what with the majority of us holidaying in the UK, it stands to reason the prices will be higher.

"

The short term for that is robbery.

King's Crustacean

Profiteering......

Robbing people blind.

Overcharging

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Go on Booking.com and check hotel prices for tonight Saturday. I’ve never seen anything as ridiculous in my life!

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s also bank holiday weekend, prices are always higher

By *earded_ChapMan  over a year ago

London

Prices are higher at the moment because it’s a) school holidays and b) people are holidaying in the U.K. because of covid. If you look at dates from the week after next onwards, the prices do drop massively.

During the lockdown months I've been paying £29-35 for hotel rooms at the weekend in Manchester and London. Guess they need to recoup their losses. Hopefully it will just be for a bit then they will put prices down as there is less demand, kinda doubt it though.

By *esmond and Molly Jones OP   Couple  over a year ago

Watford

"During the lockdown months I've been paying £29-35 for hotel rooms at the weekend in Manchester and London. Guess they need to recoup their losses. Hopefully it will just be for a bit then they will put prices down as there is less demand, kinda doubt it though. "

Once prices go up, they have a habit of never going back to pre-hike levels.

"During the lockdown months I've been paying £29-35 for hotel rooms at the weekend in Manchester and London. Guess they need to recoup their losses. Hopefully it will just be for a bit then they will put prices down as there is less demand, kinda doubt it though.

Once prices go up, they have a habit of never going back to pre-hike levels."

That's kind of my feeling too. Shame they didn't keep them lower when they went down lol

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Off to Blackpool for Club Play Bi Night, free bar after entering but I’m going to have to drive there and back, due to the hotel prices.

Normally I stay at the Travelodge for around £55 to £70 per night but it was £199 for one night earlier this week and now no rooms at all.

However as already commented on, it’s a bank holiday and people are staying locally for their holidays. So I don’t blame them for the price increase.

It's a mixture of being bank holiday and school holiday season, they always ramp up the prices at this time. Sometimes quadruple the normal prices.

By *l MateMan  over a year ago

Sheffield Centre

"Off to Blackpool for Club Play Bi Night, free bar after entering but I’m going to have to drive there and back, due to the hotel prices.

Normally I stay at the Travelodge for around £55 to £70 per night but it was £199 for one night earlier this week and now no rooms at all.

However as already commented on, it’s a bank holiday and people are staying locally for their holidays. So I don’t blame them for the price increase.

"

Surely loads of cheap b&bs in Blackpool.

King's Crustacean

I love the way people are justifying rip offs.....

It's like if I normally murder two people in August it'd be odd if I only murdered one.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

"Off to Blackpool for Club Play Bi Night, free bar after entering but I’m going to have to drive there and back, due to the hotel prices.

Surely loads of cheap b&bs in Blackpool. "

You’d think, but no, not on the four apps I’ve been using.

"I love the way people are justifying rip offs.....

It's like if I normally murder two people in August it'd be odd if I only murdered one."

I get having to recoup losses but it is a liberty take.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

As soon as we came out of the most recent lockdown, hotel bookings went through the roof and hotels didn’t have to come up with offers to get their rooms used.

I’m starting to receive details of special offers for October, so the heat is starting to come out of the levels of bookings.

By *ollipop88888Couple  over a year ago

norwich

[Removed by poster at 28/08/21 14:22:23]

Funny how the hospitality industry was kept affloat by tax payers money during the pandemic and now they hit us with inflated prices. Bitter pill to swallow.

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

"We have used Travelodges often over the years and used to stay at Heathrow T5 for Abfab visits and sometimes the Cheshunt one. Prices at the latter were usually £65 ish up to about £80.

I just checked for a stay for tonight, and it's over £150!

Forget it!"

Hi op. I’ve found the same whenever I’ve looked at staying somewhere instead of having to drive. Sadly I’ve had to opt for driving every time! X

By *ollipop88888Couple  over a year ago

norwich

It’s going to take most hotels a long time to recoup the losses from the last eighteen months. Ultimately if it’s too expensive, people won’t stay.

By *anshee99Woman  over a year ago

all over

It's BH weekend though...

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

Every year we’ve had a family holiday at a caravan park in wales every year we have payed 300 for 5 days ,priced it for us a few weeks ago and it was 700.00 …I can’t justify paying that would rather put the money away and go abroad next year staying closer to home is just to expensive ..

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

Surely loads of cheap b&bs in Blackpool. "

Normally yes - but when I looked in July the cheapest was £150 for the night - and it looked grubby to say the least! X

By *ookie46Woman  over a year ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Two weeks ago I stayed in a Premier inn in central London, a family room and three nights total was £180

Last weekend in Leeds one of the travelodges wanted £326 for the weekend

Yeah they are very expensive especially recently 150-250 for a room in Sheffield most weekends they’ve been all sold out though!

By *entakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

It's all very well cranking up the prices due to the current situation but if they get cranked up to a point where most people can't afford to pay or simply refuse to, I can't see how it's going to help their business model in the longer term. It seems to me that actually lowering prices to stimulate demand would be more sensible. Although perhaps demand is artificially high at the moment due to the uncertainty surrounding overseas travel meaning that bumping the prices up is actually helping in the shorter term? No matter what, I don't see wages increasing in line with price inflation.

By *entakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

"Two weeks ago I stayed in a Premier inn in central London, a family room and three nights total was £180

Last weekend in Leeds one of the travelodges wanted £326 for the weekend "

That strikes me as cheap as chips for Central London. I don't think you could stay in my local Premier Inn (Exeter) for less than 60 per night even before the Pandemon.

By *.R.MMan  over a year ago

Norfolk

The premier inns were £35 at Heathrow last week

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"I would think it’s because most people are staying in the Uk to holiday. "
its also bank holiday weekend and it's always cost more on this weekend

Theres also a huge staff shortage throughout the hospitality industry, so a lot of these hotels are needing to outsource things like housekeeping, which will involve a price increase.

It isn't all about trying to rip off customers

By *ookie46Woman  over a year ago

Deepest darkest Peru

"Two weeks ago I stayed in a Premier inn in central London, a family room and three nights total was £180

Last weekend in Leeds one of the travelodges wanted £326 for the weekend

That strikes me as cheap as chips for Central London. I don't think you could stay in my local Premier Inn (Exeter) for less than 60 per night even before the Pandemon. "

It was booked seven weeks in advance but still a great deal…. It was midweek Tues-Fri

» Add a new message to this topic