FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Banning books

Banning books

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tomCom OP   Man  over a year ago

Wellingborough

What do the followers of his forum thing about book banning.

Should all be books in the UK be allowed?

Or should we ban books about, violence, murder, child abuse etc..

We in the country (UK) have freedom of speech and freedom of thought. But should there not be some sort of limits?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nope!

No to banning books... let's ban Censorship instead

Wellingborough

We should allow books about child abuse and extreme murders to be published?

"

What do the followers of his forum thing about book banning.

Should all be books in the UK be allowed?

Or should we ban books about, violence, murder, child abuse etc..

We in the country (UK) have freedom of speech and freedom of thought. But should there not be some sort of limits?

"

It depends if the books are promoting violence, rape, antisocial behaviour etc. Some so called books are purely there to be decisive so maybe some books should be banned.

"We should allow books about child abuse and extreme murders to be published?

"

Well, in what context are you talking about?

Well, in what context are you talking about?"

Its self explanatory in his first post.

Its self explanatory in his first post. "

No its not!

Are the books he is talking about novels, or factual cases or just plain condoning violence?

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Nope, we all have a choice whether to read books with unsavoury subjects but banning them is the thin edge of the wedge (shit is that the right term?? My brain is fucked today) Next thing Harry Potter will be banned cos it promotes witchcraft and child abuse...

I read books on all the subjects mentioned on the first post.. I had to for uni...

I have also read books on survivors stories..

I dont think that they should be banned.

Cali

Wellingborough

Ok... lets me break it down ..

Would you ban any fiction book?

Would you ban any non-fiction book?

Or should all books be allowed in this country?

No its not!

Are the books he is talking about novels, or factual cases or just plain condoning violence?

"

Yes it is read again its about content not if its fact or fiction.

Wellingborough

"I read books on all the subjects mentioned on the first post.. I had to for uni...

Cali "

What about stories about incest, young children being abused. Surely there has to be some limits?

books will always be banned same with some films etc, if you think we have free speech in the uk, look at the facebook trolls who posted insulting things in that recent child murder case, they were arrested.

the problem with free speech is someone is always going to say something you dont agree with.

as to should books be banned then in mho then no they shouldnt, but we need to be ready for the problems true free speech brings.

I was in the usa on 9/11 and the american news had little or nothing to say about the subject, i learned more from phone calls home, and asking an american friend about this he said, we know our gov lie to us but we prefere not to know about somethingsand as long as we have our good life styles then we are happy this way, is this a road we want to go down?

"Ok... lets me break it down ..

Or should all books be allowed in this country?"

So how would you classify book that theoretically teaches someone how to build say a dirty bomb?

Its content be it factual or fictional than needs looking at. If it promotes extreme antisocial behaviour you have to question if it would be better not publicised.

To be honest, no book should be banned!

If it came down to banning a book it would have to be because of the wording in that book!

Then the flood gates would open and any book with similar wording/words would be next!

It is up to the reader to differentiate between right and wrong!

Not some gal/guy sitting in an office saying i shouldn't have the choice to buy/not to buy that book!

"To be honest, no book should be banned!

If it came down to banning a book it would have to be because of the wording in that book!

Then the flood gates would open and any book with similar wording/words would be next!

Not some gal/guy sitting in an office saying i shouldn't have the choice to buy/not to buy that book!"

So you wouldn't ban a book that gave information on how to kidnap people, abuse children, spread race hatred or promote intolerance on religious grounds?

Wellingborough

So how would you classify book that theoretically teaches someone how to build say a dirty bomb?

Its content be it factual or fictional than needs looking at. If it promotes extreme antisocial behaviour you have to question if it would be better not publicised. "

Stopping people reading how to make a dirty bomb would not stop someone wanting to do it do it. Banning drugs does not stop people taking them.

I find the whole thing about banning books I very very hard subject. I would love to say, no books should be banned. But I know that is truth there are books that need to be banned.

Example of a book that should be banned.

Someone writing a fictional book about how they would kidknap your young child, rape and then kill them. I am sure there is not one person that would say that a book like that should not be ban

Not some gal/guy sitting in an office saying i shouldn't have the choice to buy/not to buy that book!

So you wouldn't ban a book that gave information on how to kidnap people, abuse children, spread race hatred or promote intolerance on religious grounds? "

name ONE book in the shops/online at this moment in time that gives information on how to molest a child??

Ffs, if your going to argue about something at least argue about something that is actually tangible!!

Its content be it factual or fictional than needs looking at. If it promotes extreme antisocial behaviour you have to question if it would be better not publicised.

Stopping people reading how to make a dirty bomb would not stop someone wanting to do it do it. Banning drugs does not stop people taking them.

I find the whole thing about banning books I very very hard subject. I would love to say, no books should be banned. But I know that is truth there are books that need to be banned.

Example of a book that should be banned.

Someone writing a fictional book about how they would kidknap your young child, rape and then kill them. I am sure there is not one person that would say that a book like that should not be ban"

So where is that book you gave as an example on sale then?

nothing should be hidden or swept under the carpet because we should never forget that there's sickos out there. Allowing stuff like that to be published just exposes how wrong things are ... the truth will out itself so to speak.

"

Someone writing a fictional book about how they would kidknap your young child, rape and then kill them. I am sure there is not one person that would say that a book like that should not be ban"

When you say 'your child' do you mean if the author actually named a 'real' child?

I think if they did that it could be considered incitement?

However if it was 'fiction' then sorry mate, I'm that one person (I doubt that sincerely) who would NOT ban the book.

No its not!

Yes it is read again its about content not if its fact or fiction."

Montecristo! you are totally missing the point of whats been said here so read it again.

When someone asked something along the lines of should books about extreme murders and child abuse be banned edinguy404 asked in what context the books should be about to be banned, example, is the book glorifying child abuse and murder or say a Crime novel for instance or say a biography by a forensic scientist or Police man\woman... that's what it means by asking in what context.... not that complicated is it ?

Forum Mod

Ive had to take some posts of that quoted a link that was'nt allowed incase you all wonder where they've gone

So you wouldn't ban a book that gave information on how to kidnap people, abuse children, spread race hatred or promote intolerance on religious grounds?

name ONE book in the shops/online at this moment in time that gives information on how to molest a child??

Ffs, if your going to argue about something at least argue about something that is actually tangible!!"

The tread is no about what is or is not available (and as there currently censorship to an extent) its about if books should be allowed so stick to the point. You are saying no books should be banned so taking that the above subjects I mentioned I take it you would allow to be published under your no ban rule! Is that correct?

"Ive had to take some posts of that quoted a link that was'nt allowed incase you all wonder where they've gone"

I can understand links been taken off that may be classed as competition to this site but not one that shows a book that has become part of this discussion.

Any how, I found it very extraordinary that the book mentioned could be mistaken for a "How to abuse your child" manual

No its not!

Yes it is read again its about content not if its fact or fiction.

Montecristo! you are totally missing the point of whats been said here so read it again.

When someone asked something along the lines of should books about extreme murders and child abuse be banned edinguy404 asked in what context the books should be about to be banned, example, is the book glorifying child abuse and murder or say a Crime novel for instance or say a biography by a forensic scientist or Police man\woman... that's what it means by asking in what context.... not that complicated is it ? "

No Im not missing the point at all read the opening thread its not that complicated at all.

I would hope that ANY book that promoted child abuse, murder or any other type of violence wouldn't get to print in first place!

BUT, when it comes to fictional novels, factual biographies and learning texts then surely its passed SOME sort of censorship to make it to print!

Therefore, its then up to indivuals to purchase that book or not!!

"

No Im not missing the point at all read the opening thread its not that complicated at all. "

Yes you are, he asked in what context the books should be before banning them not if they we're fact or fiction

No its not!

Yes it is read again its about content not if its fact or fiction."

That's the bit you're getting mixed up on.....

He's asking about the "context" of the content, not wether it's fact or fiction.

Ffs, if your going to argue about something at least argue about something that is actually tangible!!

The tread is no about what is or is not available (and as there currently censorship to an extent) its about if books should be allowed so stick to the point. You are saying no books should be banned so taking that the above subjects I mentioned I take it you would allow to be published under your no ban rule! Is that correct?"

yes! That is correct! The 'book' you mentioned was a guide on how to bring up your child! (albeit a bit mis-guided) NOT a book on how to molest a child!

Have you actually read the book! Or was it the first one you came across when you googled?

Forum Mod

"Ive had to take some posts of that quoted a link that was'nt allowed incase you all wonder where they've gone

I can understand links been taken off that may be classed as competition to this site but not one that shows a book that has become part of this discussion.

Any how, I found it very extraordinary that the book mentioned could be mistaken for a "How to abuse your child" manual "

Just to clarify as its admin that make the rules and not me

this thread is about allowed links

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/14562

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

" Next thing Harry Potter will be banned cos it promotes witchcraft and child abuse..."

Sure read some time ago that it was for those reasons in some US states

"Ive had to take some posts of that quoted a link that was'nt allowed incase you all wonder where they've gone

Any how, I found it very extraordinary that the book mentioned could be mistaken for a "How to abuse your child" manual

Just to clarify as its admin that make the rules and not me

this thread is about allowed links

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/14562"

oh I'm not blaming you, just some of the fab rules are a bit .... odd

The tread is no about what is or is not available (and as there currently censorship to an extent) its about if books should be allowed so stick to the point. You are saying no books should be banned so taking that the above subjects I mentioned I take it you would allow to be published under your no ban rule! Is that correct?

yes! That is correct! The 'book' you mentioned was a guide on how to bring up your child! (albeit a bit mis-guided) NOT a book on how to molest a child!

Have you actually read the book! Or was it the first one you came across when you googled?"

Excuse me the book I quoted? Well lets get it right dreamboy I DIDN'T quote any book ask the mods! So I'm NOT misguided unlike you seem to be. When people get facts wrong they ten to make themselves look like a bit of a..... well I am sure you have been told many times before.

If you where to ban books containing violence/murder surely the bible would be the first to go? that's one of the most violent books i've read

I think its important for any civilised society to demonstrate its disapproval of literature which attempts to subvert the laws of governance or safety of its people….

But obviously because of the Internet, it’s now become impossible to effectively restrict all access to subversive malicious information …….

But yes, I do think "some" subversive books should be banned for no other reason than to send a clear message their malicious content does not get an easy-ear among our population..

There are already fictional works out there with subjects OP mentioned, it is down to the buyer to exercise caution in buying.

Don't we already have classification for any extremes in literature?

I think that would come under pornographic material and it is illegal not just banned.

"If you where to ban books containing violence/murder surely the bible would be the first to go? that's one of the most violent books i've read"

There is censorship currently in place, some books, films, websites are currently not allowed to be seen or be available for the general public. The bible along with many millions of books and films are allowed Others are restricted to adults.

"I think its important for any civilised society to demonstrate its disapproval of literature which attempts to subvert the laws of governance or safety of its people….

But obviously because of the Internet, it’s now become impossible to effectively restrict all access to subversive malicious information …….

But yes, I do think "some" subversive books should be banned for no other reason than to send a clear message their malicious content does not get an easy-ear among our population..

"

Well said you have it to a T there.

Have you actually read the book! Or was it the first one you came across when you googled?

Excuse me the book I quoted? Well lets get it right dreamboy I DIDN'T quote any book ask the mods! So I'm NOT misguided unlike you seem to be. When people get facts wrong they ten to make themselves look like a bit of a..... well I am sure you have been told many times before. "

oops, sorry! I didn't know the rule that says if your post has been removed by a mod then it didn't exist!!

I think it all comes down to the context the book is written in. As lots of people say, if it's promoting something like child abuse or extreme violence then my "personal" opinion is that it shouldn't be published. However in the UK they ban pornography which depicts any sort of extreme violence (I think the definition involves knives) so if your into bdsm and the idea of two consenting adults pushing each others limits then you might not agree with this ruling.

The problem with censorship is its an opinion of what is "too much" and this would change with each person on each subject. There will always be someone who thinks that the subject is taboo and equally some one who thinks it's acceptable.

I think people are too easily offended now a days and if you don't like what's on tv, rather than complaining and getting the show / subject banned, just turn over the channel. It's a freedom to watch as well as the freedom to not watch.

Yes some books be banned but I would hate to be the person to do it!

Censorship can be a good thing, as in things like bomb making websites are generally closed down as soon as they are detected if they are based on a UK server.

If someone is determined enough to make a bomb or kidnap a child they will find the literature they want. The internet is a vast world of nasty if you have the mindset to exploit it.

Excuse me the book I quoted? Well lets get it right dreamboy I DIDN'T quote any book ask the mods! So I'm NOT misguided unlike you seem to be. When people get facts wrong they ten to make themselves look like a bit of a..... well I am sure you have been told many times before.

oops, sorry! I didn't know the rule that says if your post has been removed by a mod then it didn't exist!!"

Get your facts RIGHT and stop dreaming! I DID NOT put up any links to any books either present or removed in this thread. The I refers to ME not someone else but ME now you are proving beyond a doubt you don't deal in facts but prefer fiction so go ask the mod in question if she has removed any post by me referring to any book on this thread then come back and apologise for you mistake.

I believe some of the stuff I'm reading in this thread should be banned.

Forum Mod

Ok I need to clarify this before it gets all out of hand

Montecristo did'nt post the link it was someone else

Can all those knickers that have become twisted now unravel themselves

"I read books on all the subjects mentioned on the first post.. I had to for uni...

Cali

What about stories about incest, young children being abused. Surely there has to be some limits?"

these books in which surivors tell there stories no they shouldn't some people who suffer extreme child abuse go on to make amazing lifes for themselves they r an inspiration. also to ban them is (in my opnion) to pretend it doesn't exsit

Apologies to montecristo!

But i stand by what i said about censorship!

For an example!

A novel was written years ago called 'flowers in the attic'! I'm sure a lot of gals on here will know it!

It involved incest, child abuse and violence, BUT, has been critically aclaimed and made into a movie!

Now, should THAT book be banned! Or should we just take it as it was meant? A STORY!!

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I don't think any book should ever be banned.

How to molest a child, people don't need books for that. It will happen whether books are published about it or not. How to build a bomb? When the first one was built they didn't have an instruction book.

Written words and thoughts should never be censored. If you can read and write you can decide what is suitable for you to read.

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

what is a book?....

a compedeium of spoken words in print form.....

certain spoken words are banned when said in a certain context and can incur a criminal prosecution...

so yes...certain books/works should be banned.

You don't NEED to legislate about what books are allowed. A book needs to be published. A publishing house will not want to go near something that it considers offensive to most people. Censorship is a very dangerous path to go down. It is the same reason we have the press governing themselves. Freedom is everything. Why hand over everything in your life to a government dictator?

By *rumCoupleCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

[Removed by poster at 06/09/12 15:06:49]

I'd vote for a ban on 50 shades!

Sooooooooo sodding bored of hearing about it!

There is some gruesome stuff in that tome.

"[Removed by poster at 06/09/12 15:06:49]"

Bestselling work of fiction of all time!!

Endings a bit crap tho, i worked out whoddunnit by page 1029!!

It was me!!!

"I don't think any book should ever be banned.

How to build a bomb? When the first one was built they didn't have an instruction book."

The little tiny bit your missing is the first bombs we're built by very very clever people over a very long period of time to come to the sort of bombs that can be produced today by some dumb grown at home wannbee terrorist with a book and a home made shopping list.

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

I dont agree with books being banned. However, what I dont agree with is under 15's (for example) going into Waterstones and buying something like 50 shades (sorry for swearing!)

I do agree there should be an age restriction on books, but back in my day, the Judy Bloom books would be under the counter!

As for the how to make a bomb etc kind of books, if people want to do it, it will be on the net somewhere for free, so why would kids waste their pocket money on something they were so determined to do?

As I said, there should be an age restriction on some books. Some books should never make it to publicists (but they do), some books are educational, and some books aren't worthy of wping my arse on, but it is up to the publicists, bookstores and buyers.

I dd Lord of the Flies at school, and looking back, it was such a violent and mind twisting book for teenagers to read. Should that have been censored? I dont know, but I do remember how deppraved and evil that book was.

Would Salmond Rushdie (apologies if name spelt wrong) be as well known now if his initial book was banned in the UK?

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Also, wouldnt Wuthering Heights/Lolita and so on be banned or restricted nowadays if there was such a ban/restriction?

no. no censoring, no burning all knowledge is important but we need discrimination to know what knowledge is valuable and whats not.

By *gentprovocateurWoman  over a year ago

leeds

I think if books are written based on actual cases then the victims and their families should be able to have censorship rights as their suffering should not be added to and i dont think that the criminal should profit in any way.

If I wanted to make a bomb, I would not look for a book entitled "How To Build A Bomb". I would buy scientific books and use those facts to build one. In theory I can make a bomb out of household and garden chemicals. Quite simple, but I am not going to do it. So do we ban all science books?

» Add a new message to this topic