FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > internet on phone

internet on phone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

how secure is using the internet on a phone?

i never use mine for banking, only ever use internet banking from home safe behind firewalls etc, but am i beeing paranoid?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have the Lloyd's tsb app on my phone, must be secure or they wouldn't be able to develop it x

"I have the Lloyd's tsb app on my phone, must be secure or they wouldn't be able to develop it x"

didnt know about that, im with lloyds so will have alook

Benz has earned me many times NEVER give out any details on your phone as there is no anti virus or spyware software on phone. I don't know about bank apps but I wouldnt feel comfortable but that's cause if something happened being told I told you so by Benz would not be fun

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

Digital phones reasonably secure compared to the very old ones. Never heard of phones being hacked apart from notw voicemail scandal and that is a totally different thing

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

On bbc news website on about apple codes being hacked off FBI laptop so would have thought these would get someone into your phone

"On bbc news website on about apple codes being hacked off FBI laptop so would have thought these would get someone into your phone "

not worried about people "getting into my phone" there isnt anything exiting to copy, but more worried about passwords etc over wifi or 3g

Most viruses, Trojans, worms etc are aimed at Microsoft and Microsoft by products.

It's all down to the operating system that the phone uses.

I think it's reasonable to accept that anything by apple is fairly secure as they don't use the same operating systems.

So if you're using an iPhone then you're fairly secure.

Can't speak for other smart phones, but as they say, "if you haven't got an iPhone, you haven't got an iPhone!"

Lol

[Removed by poster at 06/09/12 10:01:42]

It's actually quite difficult to sniff (eavesdrop) on mobile data connections. It requires thousands and thousands of pounds worth of equipment (basically, something that can spoof the cell towers that provide the mobile signal). It's possible, yes. But its in no way practical unless it's a very specific/targeted attack (due to the relatively short range of the fake signal) - say, for govt/law enforcement surveillance. There was a cool proof of concept demo at one of the security conferences the other year IIRC, but you should be fine for general day to day browsing unless MI5 are after you :p.

Just never ever use public WiFi without a VPN!

Other than that, the majority of malware out there for smartphones isn't made for data harvesting; its more for generating fraudulent charges via text/call/app store purchases.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

There are plenty of anti-virus and spyware apps for Android and iOS

Banking Apps, PayPal etc. run on secure severs, the same as their desktop equivalents.

Hinckley

"Most viruses, Trojans, worms etc are aimed at Microsoft and Microsoft by products.

I think it's reasonable to accept that anything by apple is fairly secure as they don't use the same operating systems.

Can't speak for other smart phones, but as they say, "if you haven't got an iPhone, you haven't got an iPhone!"

Lol

"

I though they said "if you haven't got an iPhone, you're probably not a self-absorbed, boring dickhead"

Sent from my iPad

"On bbc news website on about apple codes being hacked off FBI laptop so would have thought these would get someone into your phone "

Those were just the unique identifiers - similar to the imei code, not a way to access the phones.

"Most viruses, Trojans, worms etc are aimed at Microsoft and Microsoft by products.

Lol

"

Just about every smartphone in the world is running linux, underneath different GUI's. Even (ESPECIALLY) the precious iPhone :P

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

Is Linux prone to virus attack?

Lol

I though they said "if you haven't got an iPhone, you're probably not a self-absorbed, boring dickhead"

Sent from my iPad"

for when an iphone doesnt make you look a bigenough idiot

Hinckley

"Is Linux prone to virus attack?"

Nope, only geeks understand it !

Hinckley

Lol

Sent from my iPad

for when an iphone doesnt make you look a bigenough idiot "

I own a number of Apple products but oddly, I've never paid for one ! :D

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I have spyware and anti virus installed on my phone. You can get them from android store and google play.

Don't know about iphone. Don't like them!!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Sent from my iPad

for when an iphone doesnt make you look a bigenough idiot "

Oi... I was saving the nerdy "how soon will you get the Iphone 5" thread for next week...

I am thinking of camping out.....

Hinckley

"

Sent from my iPad

for when an iphone doesnt make you look a bigenough idiot

Oi... I was saving the nerdy "how soon will you get the Iphone 5" thread for next week...

I am thinking of camping out..... "

Fill yer boots

By *ainaldoMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Mobile phones are generally fairly secure because of the layers they have between browser and storage, unlike most pcs or Macs.

However none are totally secure because they're used by people, something you can't legislate for. If you're on android you're most susceptible because it's a fairly open platform and the most popular, therefore the naughty people concentrate more here because of the numbers and lower barriers to entry.

iPhone and windows phone 7 have far more closed platforms. Wp7 doesn't allow flash at all which helps and also stops IE from having any access to user storage. IPhone is a little more open but it's still a case that its unlikely you'll install any sort of virus or Trojan unless you go for the more obscure apps and games on the appstore.

So if on android, tool up with anti virus if it's available and keep away from dodgy looking apps. On the other platforms just use some common sense.

Now ain't I fun at a party

"Mobile phones are generally fairly secure because of the layers they have between browser and storage, unlike most pcs or Macs.

However none are totally secure because they're used by people, something you can't legislate for. If you're on android you're most susceptible because it's a fairly open platform and the most popular, therefore the naughty people concentrate more here because of the numbers and lower barriers to entry.

iPhone and windows phone 7 have far more closed platforms. Wp7 doesn't allow flash at all which helps and also stops IE from having any access to user storage. IPhone is a little more open but it's still a case that its unlikely you'll install any sort of virus or Trojan unless you go for the more obscure apps and games on the appstore.

So if on android, tool up with anti virus if it's available and keep away from dodgy looking apps. On the other platforms just use some common sense.

Now ain't I fun at a party "

Purely in terms of malware:

That said, you can still get a remote shell on an iPhone - even worse news if the user has a jailbreak: instant root privs.

Not sure about windows phone, but it ain't all a matter of downloading a dodgy app... All you need is a buffer overflow (client-side web server with a java exploit is popular - user hits a webpage, simple as that) to run arbitrary code, then the device is owned - game over.

» Add a new message to this topic