FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Who stole the night?

Who stole the night?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I had a dream about The Astoria on Charing Cross Rd in the centre of London. I have some amazing memories of that venue.

I've since been thinking of all the other cool places we've lost to property development. Particularly because of Crossrail. The nearby 12bar and Crobar spring to mind, but there's many, many live music venues and night clubs / bars that are now a Pret or a Starbucks or some other bland crime against culture.

This won't be exclusive to London. So I thought; why not make a thread in loving memory of places gone by. The night is where the best memories are made. Where were yours? Who did you see there? Share please.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Many a good night's spent at the LA2 and round the corner at Metros.

Im one of the Popscene girls who would sneak off to London aged 16 in the mid 90s and dance to 60s, soul and indie until dawn.

It feels criminal that its been lost

"Many a good night's spent at the LA2 and round the corner at Metros.

Im one of the Popscene girls who would sneak off to London aged 16 in the mid 90s and dance to 60s, soul and indie until dawn.

It feels criminal that its been lost "

We were both on that particular dancefloor then. Oh to be that young again.

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

Leeds Town and Country club...it was a lovely small venue (around Brixton Academy size), I don't particularly like huge venues.

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

For me it would have to be the hacienda around 1988. It was gloriously chaotic and my memories of the place always seem hyper-colourful, luridly bright like a fever-dream.

It all turned in the 90s when the gangs and dealers got involved and things had to be run in a more organised way to avoid the worst trouble, but losing its shambolic charm left it with little else to recommend it and it's now the site of a block of flats.

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

Is the Scala still open in That London? That was a beautiful old venue (old cinema I think)? Had a few good, sweaty nights at Thhe Garage in Highbury too.

My heart lies with the old(and proper) Snobs in Birmingham. Nightclub as opposed to a venue, but the music (indie and soul/funk) was the best. Aamd everyone was really friendly.

Very friendly..

Oh. And the original Eddies(Edwards No. 8)club.so many nights dancing to alternative /rock music. Bliss.

"Leeds Town and Country club...it was a lovely small venue (around Brixton Academy size), I don't particularly like huge venues. "

Yeah I think Brixton is a big venue, and it really isn't, so nothing bigger than that. Never been to the O2 and have no intentions of ever doing so.

"For me it would have to be the hacienda around 1988. It was gloriously chaotic and my memories of the place always seem hyper-colourful, luridly bright like a fever-dream.

It all turned in the 90s when the gangs and dealers got involved and things had to be run in a more organised way to avoid the worst trouble, but losing its shambolic charm left it with little else to recommend it and it's now the site of a block of flats."

You went to the Hacienda!

So jealous.

"Is the Scala still open in That London? That was a beautiful old venue (old cinema I think)? Had a few good, sweaty nights at Thhe Garage in Highbury too.

My heart lies with the old(and proper) Snobs in Birmingham. Nightclub as opposed to a venue, but the music (indie and soul/funk) was the best. Aamd everyone was really friendly.

Very friendly..

Oh. And the original Eddies(Edwards No. 8)club.so many nights dancing to alternative /rock music. Bliss.

"

Eddies sounds great. Yeah La Scala and The Garage are still going strong. Great venues.

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

Not so much a club but a rave world dance Lydd airport. What a time I had there

By *usman 199Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Placemats 7 in Manchester 1980 7 dance floors happy days carefree got the all night bus service home

"Placemats 7 in Manchester 1980 7 dance floors happy days carefree got the all night bus service home "

7? Bet that's luxury flats now

"Not so much a club but a rave world dance Lydd airport. What a time I had there "

Just looked that up. Looks immense. Surprised I've never heard of it.

By *usman 199Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"Placemats 7 in Manchester 1980 7 dance floors happy days carefree got the all night bus service home

7? Bet that's luxury flats now"

Hi my friend its a hotel now things don't standstill

"Placemats 7 in Manchester 1980 7 dance floors happy days carefree got the all night bus service home

7? Bet that's luxury flats nowHi my friend its a hotel now things don't standstill "

No they don't, things change, not always for the better tho eh.

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"For me it would have to be the hacienda around 1988. It was gloriously chaotic and my memories of the place always seem hyper-colourful, luridly bright like a fever-dream.

It all turned in the 90s when the gangs and dealers got involved and things had to be run in a more organised way to avoid the worst trouble, but losing its shambolic charm left it with little else to recommend it and it's now the site of a block of flats.

So jealous."

Easier to do from here - you had the entirety of that there London to play in!

So jealous.

Easier to do from here - you had the entirety of that there London to play in!"

I've had a play in most of it too. Such a slut.

London

"Not so much a club but a rave world dance Lydd airport. What a time I had there

Just looked that up. Looks immense. Surprised I've never heard of it."

used to put on massive raves back in the day it that place was just somthing else loved it

"Not so much a club but a rave world dance Lydd airport. What a time I had there

Just looked that up. Looks immense. Surprised I've never heard of it. used to put on massive raves back in the day it that place was just somthing else loved it "

Huge looking at the videos.

Left London in 1999 so had to check but The Fridge in Brixton has gone Great memories of midweek nights there dancing next to Jimmy Sommerville (brilliant dancer) then walking home at 3 before work at 8.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Ritzy and Rios in Tottenham. Great memories

When I lived in Exeter it was Riverside and Tiffany’s.

Think all the above are houses now

London

Just looked that up. Looks immense. Surprised I've never heard of it. used to put on massive raves back in the day it that place was just somthing else loved it

Huge looking at the videos. "

10,000 people at least

"Ritzy and Rios in Tottenham. Great memories

When I lived in Exeter it was Riverside and Tiffany’s.

Think all the above are houses now "

Rios means something very different nowadays, eh?

"Left London in 1999 so had to check but The Fridge in Brixton has gone Great memories of midweek nights there dancing next to Jimmy Sommerville (brilliant dancer) then walking home at 3 before work at 8."

The Fridge is still there. They call it Electric Brixton these days. I went to a few raves at the Fridge 20 years or more ago. Great place.

"Left London in 1999 so had to check but The Fridge in Brixton has gone Great memories of midweek nights there dancing next to Jimmy Sommerville (brilliant dancer) then walking home at 3 before work at 8.

The Fridge is still there. They call it Electric Brixton these days. I went to a few raves at the Fridge 20 years or more ago. Great place."

Yaay, some good news !

I saw All about Eve and The Mission play at the old Marquee on Wardor St. Saw Soundgarden play at the Charring Cross Rd Marquee and the Astoria in the very early 90s and scores of bands throughout that decade. My best friend at the time was a DJ and did club nights there so so much of my misspent youth was spent there. In my local area its the pubs that are disappearing.

By *rMojoRisinMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

So many places, so many gigs, Hammersmith Palais, Bowwowwow supported by the Meteors, The Cramps, Siouxsie, Killing Joke, the Lyceum, saw The Ramones, Death Cult, Johnny Thunders, Virgin Prunes. The Clarendon and the Klub Foot.

And many, many more

"I saw All about Eve and The Mission play at the old Marquee on Wardor St. Saw Soundgarden play at the Charring Cross Rd Marquee and the Astoria in the very early 90s and scores of bands throughout that decade. My best friend at the time was a DJ and did club nights there so so much of my misspent youth was spent there. In my local area its the pubs that are disappearing. "

Oh God yeah the pubs are dropping like flies. They're stealing the night from us Cinnamon. There'll be nothing left of it, but Netflix and an endless stream of deliveroo drivers. (Sob)

"So many places, so many gigs, Hammersmith Palais, Bowwowwow supported by the Meteors, The Cramps, Siouxsie, Killing Joke, the Lyceum, saw The Ramones, Death Cult, Johnny Thunders, Virgin Prunes. The Clarendon and the Klub Foot.

And many, many more"

I always presumed the Palais (as in white man in hammersmith palais) was a smaller version of the Apollo?

Where was the Lyceum?

Sheffield

"Left London in 1999 so had to check but The Fridge in Brixton has gone Great memories of midweek nights there dancing next to Jimmy Sommerville (brilliant dancer) then walking home at 3 before work at 8.

The Fridge is still there. They call it Electric Brixton these days. I went to a few raves at the Fridge 20 years or more ago. Great place."

When I was a lad, the old cinema was the Ace and the Fridge was a smaller place round the corner. Am I right in thinking the fridge moved into the larger venue?

The Fridge is still there. They call it Electric Brixton these days. I went to a few raves at the Fridge 20 years or more ago. Great place.

When I was a lad, the old cinema was the Ace and the Fridge was a smaller place round the corner. Am I right in thinking the fridge moved into the larger venue? "

You got me there. No idea. I think I've only known it's current location.

Sheffield

Channel 4 did a music show called something else, the music from the Ace, in the early 80’s, I remember seeing the Cocteau’s, Southern Death Cult, Killing Joke et al.

I could be wrong though, my memories not what it was.

"Channel 4 did a music show called something else, the music from the Ace, in the early 80’s, I remember seeing the Cocteau’s, Southern Death Cult, Killing Joke et al.

I could be wrong though, my memories not what it was. "

I wish The Cocteau Twins would reform. I've been in love with her voice as long as I can remember.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I didn't really have a youth for reasons. Mainly went to gigs at what's now the MEN Arena, Apollo or Academy venues, all of which still exist. There was Jilly's Rockworld in Manchester that a lot of my friends went to, but I was too busy being a mum

"I didn't really have a youth for reasons. Mainly went to gigs at what's now the MEN Arena, Apollo or Academy venues, all of which still exist. There was Jilly's Rockworld in Manchester that a lot of my friends went to, but I was too busy being a mum "

Good for you. I'm pretty sure I've heard of Jilly's. The rest I have been to. I like a party up north.

Sheffield

"Channel 4 did a music show called something else, the music from the Ace, in the early 80’s, I remember seeing the Cocteau’s, Southern Death Cult, Killing Joke et al.

I could be wrong though, my memories not what it was.

I wish The Cocteau Twins would reform. I've been in love with her voice as long as I can remember. "

I can’t believe I never saw them, DOH!

I was sad to hear that The Cockpit in Leeds closed. I used to love going to the Brighton Beach night there when I was a Student.

In Manchester, I only went to Jilly's a few times (I was more of a Monday night at the Ritz boy) but it is a shame it had to go but most of all I miss Jabez Clegg

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

"I was sad to hear that The Cockpit in Leeds closed. I used to love going to the Brighton Beach night there when I was a Student.

In Manchester, I only went to Jilly's a few times (I was more of a Monday night at the Ritz boy) but it is a shame it had to go but most of all I miss Jabez Clegg "

I literally was going to point out Jilly’s closed a few years ago, loved that place. Glad I’m not the only one who remembers it.

"I saw All about Eve and The Mission play at the old Marquee on Wardor St. Saw Soundgarden play at the Charring Cross Rd Marquee and the Astoria in the very early 90s and scores of bands throughout that decade. My best friend at the time was a DJ and did club nights there so so much of my misspent youth was spent there. In my local area its the pubs that are disappearing.

Oh God yeah the pubs are dropping like flies. They're stealing the night from us Cinnamon. There'll be nothing left of it, but Netflix and an endless stream of deliveroo drivers. (Sob)"

I shall defy them by scouring the night in search of dive bars and back street boozers.

"I saw All about Eve and The Mission play at the old Marquee on Wardor St. Saw Soundgarden play at the Charring Cross Rd Marquee and the Astoria in the very early 90s and scores of bands throughout that decade. My best friend at the time was a DJ and did club nights there so so much of my misspent youth was spent there. In my local area its the pubs that are disappearing.

Oh God yeah the pubs are dropping like flies. They're stealing the night from us Cinnamon. There'll be nothing left of it, but Netflix and an endless stream of deliveroo drivers. (Sob)

I shall defy them by scouring the night in search of dive bars and back street boozers. "

Evaristos (Trisha's) has survived so far. My fav dive bar ever.

"I was sad to hear that The Cockpit in Leeds closed. I used to love going to the Brighton Beach night there when I was a Student.

In Manchester, I only went to Jilly's a few times (I was more of a Monday night at the Ritz boy) but it is a shame it had to go but most of all I miss Jabez Clegg "

But the Cockpit was legendary!

In Manchester, I only went to Jilly's a few times (I was more of a Monday night at the Ritz boy) but it is a shame it had to go but most of all I miss Jabez Clegg

I literally was going to point out Jilly’s closed a few years ago, loved that place. Glad I’m not the only one who remembers it. "

I've heard tell of it. All good things I guess...

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

The waterboys

I shall defy them by scouring the night in search of dive bars and back street boozers.

Evaristos (Trisha's) has survived so far. My fav dive bar ever."

Ooh, I've never been. Might give it a look.

Evaristos (Trisha's) has survived so far. My fav dive bar ever.

Ooh, I've never been. Might give it a look. "

It's hard to find, but I smell a pub crawl of Soho though

"The waterboys "

Where'd you see them, lovely?

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"The waterboys

Where'd you see them, lovely?"

At a concert xd