FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Attention seeker v Exhibitionist

Attention seeker v Exhibitionist

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *innie The Minx OP   Woman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Hey good people of FAB,I was having a convo re this recently and would be interested to hear your opinions.

What is the difference between an attention seeker and an exhibtionist? Is there a diffetence or does it depend on the context?

Which are you?

Is the diffence a sexual slant or is calling yourself an exhibtionist just a fancy way of saying you are (just) an an attention seeker?

Or is there a Venn diagram where the two ovelap?

Questions questions

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Even as recently as last year I would have argued that I was neither and any pics I post are just for fun.

However I will admit now that I am probably a part time exhibitionist. It's not something I do all the time but I do like to be looked at as I used to think I was invisible.

It's not attention seeking because in my mind rightly or wrongly that has more negative than positive connotations.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'd assume they mean the same thing but exhibitionist seems to be the word of choice in a sexual context. Maybe because it involves literally 'exhibiting' your body or sexual activity?

Attention seeker does sound milder so perhaps a spectrum rather than Venn crossover?

More questions !

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Imo an exhibitionist is someone who likes to display a certain flair in order to revel in appraisal, more of an artlike quality and they give approval to others who display

An attention seeker will say or do pretty much anything good or bad in order to be in the li_elight with all focus on them for as long as possible

I am neither x

Under the Duvet

"Even as recently as last year I would have argued that I was neither and any pics I post are just for fun.

However I will admit now that I am probably a part time exhibitionist. It's not something I do all the time but I do like to be looked at as I used to think I was invisible.

It's not attention seeking because in my mind rightly or wrongly that has more negative than positive connotations."

It's an intetmresting one. People on FAB seem to see "exhibitionist " as the acceptable version of "attention seeker" when in my eyes they are pretty much the same thing.

Neither is better or worse than the other.

By *issAphroditeWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

Exhibitionism is more physical and visual - flashing, showing photos, being watched having sex etc.

Attention seeker is more abstract - creating drama, turning everything around to be about them, being loud and "showy" when out so the focus is on them.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

You can spot the attention seekers easily by the number of people on their friends list.

It's their way of ensuring they get fabs.

Belfast

"Even as recently as last year I would have argued that I was neither and any pics I post are just for fun.

It's not attention seeking because in my mind rightly or wrongly that has more negative than positive connotations.

It's an intetmresting one. People on FAB seem to see "exhibitionist " as the acceptable version of "attention seeker" when in my eyes they are pretty much the same thing.

Neither is better or worse than the other."

I'm happy to be called an exhibtionist by others but I would fight my corner over ever being called an attention seeker.

To me the latter is all about image and status and neediness and as Posh Spice once told a tabloid editor. There is no such thing as bad press.

Attention seeking is an addiction for some.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Tbh I'm both x

I think they’re pretty much the same thing, and if they’re not they have a very large overlap.

I consider myself an exhivitionist/attention seeker when it comes to sex/fab. Which is funny because I hate being in the li_elight in every day life

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Been thinking about this weirdly this week and what it means on fab.

I'm a self confessed attention seeker and it's why I post pictures.

I think exhibitionism is more care free, and if someone sees a picture or whatever they see it. The fun is in the possibility of being seen, regardless it's it's one person or many.

I think attention seeking is more a premeditated thing and you look for validation from others.

By *iss pleasuringWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near

"Imo an exhibitionist is someone who likes to display a certain flair in order to revel in appraisal, more of an artlike quality and they give approval to others who display

An attention seeker will say or do pretty much anything good or bad in order to be in the li_elight with all focus on them for as long as possible

I am neither x"

Yeah that just about sums this up

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

"

I think exhibitionism is more care free, and if someone sees a picture or whatever they see it. The fun is in the possibility of being seen, regardless it's it's one person or many.

I think attention seeking is more a premeditated thing and you look for validation from others. "

Agreed. I also think people really, really don't like being called an attention seeker and see it as being a bad thing. We all, to some extent, seek attention. Some of us more than others ergo attention seeking. It's not a bad thing, sure it might not be universally liked but no person is.

I also think it's very subjective. One person's exhibitionist will be another's attention seeker.

La la land

"

I think attention seeking is more a premeditated thing and you look for validation from others.

Agreed. I also think people really, really don't like being called an attention seeker and see it as being a bad thing. We all, to some extent, seek attention. Some of us more than others ergo attention seeking. It's not a bad thing, sure it might not be universally liked but no person is.

I also think it's very subjective. One person's exhibitionist will be another's attention seeker."

See it's strange I see myself on fab as an attention seeker and I don't see it as a bad thing. Be it from posting a picture of my tits or trying to come across as half knowledgeable about something.

To me exhibitionism is something else less constrained and less worried about the opinions of others.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Neither is better or worse than the other."

I agree. There's nothing wrong with seeking attention from people who are happy to give it.

Belfast

"

I also think it's very subjective. One person's exhibitionist will be another's attention seeker.

See it's strange I see myself on fab as an attention seeker and I don't see it as a bad thing. Be it from posting a picture of my tits or trying to come across as half knowledgeable about something.

To me exhibitionism is something else less constrained and less worried about the opinions of others. "

If you post a pic of your tits and you want people to look at them and/or fab them that's one thing that could be classed as exhibitionism or attention seeking depending on how you as the poster want others to see the pic.

Attention seeking in a negative context doesn't have to involve the visual aspect at all.

An attention seeker nudges their way to the front, ignores whatever other conversation is going on and asks what you think of her tits or his dick.

An exhibitionist can exist without comment or acknowledgement from others. Attention seekers need that validation like oxygen.

La la land

"

To me exhibitionism is something else less constrained and less worried about the opinions of others.

If you post a pic of your tits and you want people to look at them and/or fab them that's one thing that could be classed as exhibitionism or attention seeking depending on how you as the poster want others to see the pic.

Attention seeking in a negative context doesn't have to involve the visual aspect at all.

An attention seeker nudges their way to the front, ignores whatever other conversation is going on and asks what you think of her tits or his dick.

An exhibitionist can exist without comment or acknowledgement from others. Attention seekers need that validation like oxygen.

"

We all want attention now again and that's not a bad thing. We're all looking for a someone to say a kind word be it about our looks or how our minds works. Else we'd all live in a bubble oblivious to others, which the vast majority of don't.

Attention seeking and exhibitionism can be positive or negative things. Attention seeking can be negative for the reasons you stated, exhibitionism can be if that person doesn't care about the appropriateness of their exhibitionism to others.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

I've had people say u just doing this or that for attention! I say well I'm not doing it to b feking ignored!pmsl! x

Belfast

"

We all want attention now again and that's not a bad thing. We're all looking for a someone to say a kind word be it about our looks or how our minds works. Else we'd all live in a bubble oblivious to others, which the vast majority of don't.

Attention seeking and exhibitionism can be positive or negative things. Attention seeking can be negative for the reasons you stated, exhibitionism can be if that person doesn't care about the appropriateness of their exhibitionism to others. "

Agreed. My thoughts on attention seeking are based on experience and it has mostly been negative but I can see that exhibitionism can also be a negative experience for some.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

( o ( lo ) v )

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Imo an exhibitionist is someone who likes to display a certain flair in order to revel in appraisal, more of an artlike quality and they give approval to others who display

I am neither x"

That’s a great analogy of both and I would agree with how you worded it

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

As OP it is always about context, but attention and exhibitionism have an inextricable affinity.

guys post pictures of their partners to say to other guys - look what I have that you don't - they are exhibiting for attention and self gratification and adoration, partners may also enjoy being exhibited because it gets them attention they find that gratifying. Women post pictures for attention but they are exhibiting themselves again for adoration and self gratification.

There is exhibitionism in a sexual context and exhibitionism in a non sexual context, personal or material context

I am an exhibitionist- I actualy exhibit. My exhibiting draws attention but also financial gain but it is my work that gets the attention and the adoration not me but I find it gratifying on both a personal and material level.

So it's about the gain I guess in one form or another that is defined by the context of the gain

Under the Duvet

Interesting thoughtful responses. Thank you all

For me, everyone that posts a thread, a pic or a comment, surely you’re seeking attention, purely because you’re putting something out there? That could be good or bad attention seeking, but on the whole I’m not sure what’s wrong with it, unless it becomes toxic.

Being an exhibitionist is not dissimilar in my opinion, but equally, isn’t necessarily bad.

In addition, I would add, just because people like to seek attention/be an exhibitionist, doesn’t mean they need the validation, maybe they like it, maybe it’s appreciated, but it doesn’t mean it’s needed.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Neither x

Also, if you are an attention seeker or an exhibitionist, if you aren’t hurting anyone, then I don’t see the problem. You could argue that the numerous people posting pictures are of benefit to the site and it’s users?

La la land

Coming back to this after doing the dishes. In a work context I demand the attention of the room.

Seeking validation is not necessarily a bad thing either. My work is validated by my peers, we all seek validation now and again. It's why we ask people for their opinions after say an argument with someone.

Rarely is anything black or white.

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I’m a bit of an exhibitionist, I get turned on by being watched but mostly by people that I fancy.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

"Exhibitionism is more physical and visual - flashing, showing photos, being watched having sex etc.

Attention seeker is more abstract - creating drama, turning everything around to be about them, being loud and "showy" when out so the focus is on them."

I'd agree with this. I (Luke) don't seek attention. I seek to find people who enjoy seeing me exposed. If somebody wouldn't enjoy that (and not many do), I don't feel the need to get them to notice me just for the sake of it.

I think exhibitionism is around the enjoyment of the viewer (at least it is for me), whereas attention-seeking is not about any pleasure for anybody else.

Naked cleaner, anybody?

Passed Beyond Reach

"For me, everyone that posts a thread, a pic or a comment, surely you’re seeking attention, purely because you’re putting something out there? That could be good or bad attention seeking, but on the whole I’m not sure what’s wrong with it, unless it becomes toxic.

Being an exhibitionist is not dissimilar in my opinion, but equally, isn’t necessarily bad.

In addition, I would add, just because people like to seek attention/be an exhibitionist, doesn’t mean they need the validation, maybe they like it, maybe it’s appreciated, but it doesn’t mean it’s needed.

"

Attention is closely associated with some sort of gain and majority some kind of validation, adoration or exoneration - what if a post is made simply to make a point -

When there is nothing to gain or simply needs to be said - how can it be attention seeking.

How the intent in which the thread/post is made determines if attention seeking or just simply is.

Can't simply rationalise them into attention seeking because it suits.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

To me they are totally different.

I hate being the centre of attention, and due to that I don't enjoy dancing, joining in games with people watching, giving speeches, etc. Anything where people are looking at me like that makes me feel ill.

However, I have discovered that I love taking and sharing photos of myself, and in clubs I enjoy walking around in my boxers, or even playing in public. That gives me a bit of a thrill.

So I'd say I'm not an attention seeker, but I am an exhibitionist.

"For me, everyone that posts a thread, a pic or a comment, surely you’re seeking attention, purely because you’re putting something out there? That could be good or bad attention seeking, but on the whole I’m not sure what’s wrong with it, unless it becomes toxic.

Attention is closely associated with some sort of gain and majority some kind of validation, adoration or exoneration - what if a post is made simply to make a point -

When there is nothing to gain or simply needs to be said - how can it be attention seeking.

How the intent in which the thread/post is made determines if attention seeking or just simply is.

"

I hear what you’re saying, and I agree to an extent, but surely, if I post a thread, for whatever reason, it’s to get attention, whether it’s comments, feedback, jokes, people’s thoughts?

An attention seeker needs to be the center of attention.

They actively take attention away from other people. In group sex sessions they will moan louder or shout dirty talk to get eyes on them.

An exhibitionist enjoys being looked at. In group sex sessions they don't mind people watching.

"To me they are totally different.

I hate being the centre of attention, and due to that I don't enjoy dancing, joining in games with people watching, giving speeches, etc. Anything where people are looking at me like that makes me feel ill.

However, I have discovered that I love taking and sharing photos of myself, and in clubs I enjoy walking around in my boxers, or even playing in public. That gives me a bit of a thrill.

So I'd say I'm not an attention seeker, but I am an exhibitionist. "

I feel similarly. Outside of fab I don't particularly enjoy attention, nor do I seek it. I'm quite introverted.

But I've discovered that people looking at me while naked is surprisingly arousing, and I suppose fabs quantify that. 100 fabs means 100 people have looked, and enjoyed. It gives me a thrill. Frankly, I couldn't give a shit about hot pics, they could close that part of the site and I'd still enjoy the fabs because they show me who's looked and enjoyed. It's hard to explain the feeling and some people choose to just judge me instead, but I simply do what gives me pleasure, and it hurts no one else, so I'll keep doing it. I'm an exhibitionist and I'm not ashamed of that.

I hear what you’re saying, and I agree to an extent, but surely, if I post a thread, for whatever reason, it’s to get attention, whether it’s comments, feedback, jokes, people’s thoughts? "

I would see you as an exhibitionist FA. You like to show off what gifts you have. You get attention yes but you don't create scenes to get it. You will also highlight other people giving them attention.

An attention seeker requires attention and doesn't share. In my humble opinion.

I hear what you’re saying, and I agree to an extent, but surely, if I post a thread, for whatever reason, it’s to get attention, whether it’s comments, feedback, jokes, people’s thoughts? I would see you as an exhibitionist FA. You like to show off what gifts you have. You get attention yes but you don't create scenes to get it. You will also highlight other people giving them attention.

An attention seeker requires attention and doesn't share. In my humble opinion. "

Thank you, I appreciate this more than you know

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"To me they are totally different.

So I'd say I'm not an attention seeker, but I am an exhibitionist.

I feel similarly. Outside of fab I don't particularly enjoy attention, nor do I seek it. I'm quite introverted.

But I've discovered that people looking at me while naked is surprisingly arousing, and I suppose fabs quantify that. 100 fabs means 100 people have looked, and enjoyed. It gives me a thrill. Frankly, I couldn't give a shit about hot pics, they could close that part of the site and I'd still enjoy the fabs because they show me who's looked and enjoyed. It's hard to explain the feeling and some people choose to just judge me instead, but I simply do what gives me pleasure, and it hurts no one else, so I'll keep doing it. I'm an exhibitionist and I'm not ashamed of that."

Yes. That's exactly me... though I'll never be on the Hot Pics, and I'm still far away from getting 100 fabs

But every one I get gives me that same feeling (even more so when they are from someone lovely themselves)

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

There is a difference. And yet also an overlap.

And neither is a bad thing, although "attention seeker" is often used in a derogatory way despite the fact that most people seek attention in one way or another, from whoever they want it from at the time.

On fab, everyone is seeking attention to some extent, whether they are an exhibitionist or not. Some people find they are more inclined to exhibitionism over time, some always knew they were, and some never will be. Personally, I'm in the first category.

The forum lends itself to attention seeking and attention getting, anyone who posts anything at all is looking for some attention even if it is purely throwing a statement out and thinking someone may read it. Most people are looking for more attention than that, and hoping for a reply or a reaction.

And I'll reiterate, that's not a bad thing. It's the nature of online interaction. We may not all want a lot of attention, or want attention all the time from what we say on here, but if we didn't then we wouldn't get involved.

Passed Beyond Reach

I hear what you’re saying, and I agree to an extent, but surely, if I post a thread, for whatever reason, it’s to get attention, whether it’s comments, feedback, jokes, people’s thoughts? "

I post because I believe it needs to be said or from my experiences that someone may find useful - whether people agree or not or ignore - I do not post anything for any kind of attention - I have strong views on certain things and will voice my opinions and fight certain corners - but again its never for any kind of attention good or bad it is just because I feel it is the right thing to do rather than do nothing - same as I would always call someone out for certain behaviour friend or not

xx

I hear what you’re saying, and I agree to an extent, but surely, if I post a thread, for whatever reason, it’s to get attention, whether it’s comments, feedback, jokes, people’s thoughts?

I post because I believe it needs to be said or from my experiences that someone may find useful - whether people agree or not or ignore - I do not post anything for any kind of attention - I have strong views on certain things and will voice my opinions and fight certain corners - but again its never for any kind of attention good or bad it is just because I feel it is the right thing to do rather than do nothing - same as I would always call someone out for certain behaviour friend or not

xx"

So when I post a thread that I think people will find interesting, and I’m curious to hear their thoughts, and to get them thinking, is it attention seeking or not, because I’m awaiting people’s attention? Kind of, am I making sense? (I’m tired and my ducks ate my worms, and neither are in a row!)

Passed Beyond Reach

"For me, everyone that posts a thread, a pic or a comment, surely you’re seeking attention, purely because you’re putting something out there?

"

It was your post that was drawing the the association and conclusion that anyone posting to a thread is seeking attention I was simply saying not all

By *ancer36Woman  over a year ago

Stirling

I’m doing my own thing, I don’t like being categorised or pigeon holed into one or the other when it comes to exhibitionism or attention

I enjoy taking pictures, having fun with photo challenges and sharing images of my body- I’m a confident woman if people perceive that as seeking attention or exhibitionism that also fine but I’m by no means looking for what is essentially a stranger to validate me.

Hot pics could be eradicated and I’d still continue to post images I enjoy, if others fab in appreciation so be it, I fab male and female pics I like, I comment on threads where I enjoy the subject, and I compliment those when I genuinely agree with there opinion or visually I like what I see

I’m doing me and I always will x

"I’m doing my own thing, I don’t like being categorised or pigeon holed into one or the other when it comes to exhibitionism or attention

I enjoy taking pictures, having fun with photo challenges and sharing images of my body- I’m a confident woman if people perceive that as seeking attention or exhibitionism that also fine but I’m by no means looking for what is essentially a stranger to validate me.

Hot pics could be eradicated and I’d still continue to post images I enjoy, if others fab in appreciation so be it, I fab male and female pics I like, I comment on threads where I enjoy the subject, and I compliment those when I genuinely agree with there opinion or visually I like what I see

I’m doing me and I always will x"

I love your attitude to everything, it’s brilliant

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

I think there are similarities and differences. Neither right or wrong. What makes me laugh is when attention seeking is used in a deliberately negative context because someone doesn’t like a person. Yet the same behaviour from a friend is not so…

If people just did their thing and focussed on their own journey life would be so much prettier

You do you always.

By *ancer36Woman  over a year ago

Stirling

"I’m doing my own thing, I don’t like being categorised or pigeon holed into one or the other when it comes to exhibitionism or attention

I love your attitude to everything, it’s brilliant "

Aw thank you lovely x

Exhibitionism. What I do. And people I like.

Attention seeking. Everyone else.

I love your attitude to everything, it’s brilliant

Aw thank you lovely x"

Get a room.

And a camera.

And a place for me to sit.

I think I'm an attention seeker at times.

And I know I'm an exhibitionist.

By *asual_WandererWoman  over a year ago

A spot you want me

As some have said, I'd say attention seeking is about mass adulation and exhibitionism is more about being gazed at. Singularly, on mass or indeed selectively chosen.

I'm an exhibitionist generally in life and on Fab

... However, I'm definitely attention seeking with my Daddy who has to give me all of his attention

Are we the viewer not also the ones categorising??

I think we all come into both categories at times.

I have a FAB profile - seeking attention from ladies & couples

I play in public - exhibitionist

By *C79Man  over a year ago

Caterham

In my "real" life, I shy away from any attention or spotlight, especially at work. In contrast, I have two sides to my "adult" activities. I like to broadcast on cam when I feel like I need attention. The more viewers I have, the better. Camming is also focused on always being hard & showing off. This is my attention seeking persona. When I'm in a different mood, I'm happy to sit quietly, knowing that I can be seen but I don't actively seek attention. I'd consider this my exhibitionist side (which is far less sexual but still very enjoyable). In short, I'm a venn diagram all by myself

Passed Beyond Reach

^^^^^^^ Said they have an affinity they go hand in hand they can't be separated only contextualised to interpretation.

One is an action the other is a result of that action - causality

» Add a new message to this topic