FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > poverty in UK

poverty in UK

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just been listening to the news about a new poverty charity. Have they just realised that families in this Country are finding it a struggle? Or are young parents not taught how to manage their money?

Felt very guilty driving home after spending £150 on school bits for my son when some families cant afford to buy shoes for their kids!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Its shocking, every month when i get paid i go the supermarket and fill a trolley and take it to the local food bank, i mean why a country like ours needs this kind of charity is beyond me, but i do know that the people who use the food bank must be in such a dire situation that they need this help.

I know how lucky i am to have a good income and i make sure my boys always appriciate how lucky they are too.

Doesnt it just bug you a bit then that our government sends millions of pounds to other countries for rebels to buy guns or to fund a space programe? Famine aid yes.Guns and spaceships no.

I agree and hope this Charity can give some families a life line..about time this Country helped our Country out!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

This is just me playing devils doodah here as I do think that things need to change etc but......

How many parent if these children who go without hot meals smoke or drink. How many have got top of the range tellys and games consoles.

I do think that in SOME cases priorities are not thought about. Of course not all cases are like this but it does get me when I work full time yet some of these 'poor' families have got better stuff than I have!

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

i think its dreadful that some people cant afford to feed their kids but there are so many people on benefits who drink and smoke dress their kids in next or designer clothes but cant afford a decent meal for them or always moan they are broke despite the fact they are on the fiddle with benefits it annoys me. I have worked since i was 16 and am out of work at the moment but i pay my bills and budget for everything i need i cant afford luxury but i cope i went from 22k to about 3 but i have learnt whats important. If i need a new telly i go to freecycle or clothes i go to charity shops or ebay. There isnt much excuse for these people to not be living within their means. May be im a heartless cow but you have to learn to adpapt

I agree with this too..the woman that was being interviewed had big tv and dvd collection and the Journalist did say 'you dont look that bad off' lol

As i said in opening post 'is this down to money management skills?'

...so... how do you get the free grub from the food bank?

"...so... how do you get the free grub from the food bank? "

we got a couple of food banks in town..tonight we have sirloin steak with all the trimmings lol

"...so... how do you get the free grub from the food bank?

we got a couple of food banks in town..tonight we have sirloin steak with all the trimmings lol "

droooools

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

The "serial" benefit families know every trick in the book to play and seem to be the ones with the big televisions and latest mobile phones. But there is lots on benefit through no fault of there own, sudden illness, sudden job loss, then they have to wait so many weeks for their benefit to come through.

I do think there should be money management classes, especially for the younger ones who havent learnt. I go round the charity shops and there are the most beautiful childrens clothes in there for next to nothing. Im not poor but i dont have the latest mobile phones, the brand new television. I make do and mend and i save up for things. But im desperatly sorry for those who through no fault of their own cant make ends meet. We have an organization called home start here where you give what you dont want and they give it to families setting up home which is a good idea

I actually run a foodbank, and worked with some of the most vulnerable families when I worked in a school.

Both sides of the coin here, those families, who like myself when made redundant, face the prospect of huge cuts in income, and have to alter their lifestyles. These are some of the people we help.

On the other hand, there are people, who are on benefits, who wear better clothes than my kids, who have the latest phones, turn up in taxis, and expect to be able to apply for food.

I worked in a school, and the government removed all "common sense" and "life skills lessons from primary schools.

Why? to save money!

By the time children are taught it, they already have bad habits, and are around 15. By which time it is far too late, and then more money is needed to teach them it in college!

Costing extra money.

Perhaps the "money management classes need to start with those at the top...the Government!

As someone who work in aerospace building satellites, I take issue with those being a waste of money.

Some projects can only be funded by central government and in the past Britain in the long run has gained greatly in monetary terms and expertise, much more so than we deserve.

I do agree however kids should have all the equipment they need to attend school ay least to give them a chance, I would happily see my tax being spent on free shoes, clothes, sportswear and meals for hard up families.

I'm a child of the 60's and 70's and from a single parent family in Lewisham, this was available to me and a university education. I've paid top rate tax grade ever since, I'd say I was value for money.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"

I do agree however kids should have all the equipment they need to attend school ay least to give them a chance, I would happily see my tax being spent on free shoes, clothes, sportswear and meals for hard up families.

"

Could not agree with you more

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Do they not do free school uniforms now? I came from a one parent family and they gave a voucher to buy a uniform from the "proper" school uniform shop, we always had the best uniforms cause the vouchers where only for trutex. Plus we had free school dinners i hated it cause you had a red star on your dinner card. I was the first in my class to come from divorced parents, but not once did we go without, but in those days noone had/wanted the stuff they have nowadays

"I agree and hope this Charity can give some families a life line..about time this Country helped our Country out! "

I've seen poverty in this country and it is getting worse - especially since May 2010 and the Tories cutbacks.

However, having previously worked abroad for a large charity I can tell you that poverty in some other countires is at a completely different level.

Their governments might be crap /corrupt / dishonest but the people have real need and we should support them because their need is so great.

Scrap the proposed HS2 rail project for starters and invest the money wisely in the education system. Even free milk has been scrapped in local schools in my area. For pity sake.. Makes me so angry.. Grrrr apologises for my rant!!

"Scrap the proposed HS2 rail project for starters and invest the money wisely in the education system. Even free milk has been scrapped in local schools in my area. For pity sake.. Makes me so angry.. Grrrr apologises for my rant!!"

Why?

Its just what this country wants more mass transit.

I can easily afford a car, just as well I have no choice. One of the many things I miss about no longer living in London is the absence of a decent public transport system, The Tube, I love it.

One of the great blocks to employment to lower paid workers is transport. I'd love it if you use public transport for commuting to work you can claim 20p in the £ back.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

"Do they not do free school uniforms now? I came from a one parent family and they gave a voucher to buy a uniform from the "proper" school uniform shop, we always had the best uniforms cause the vouchers where only for trutex. Plus we had free school dinners i hated it cause you had a red star on your dinner card. I was the first in my class to come from divorced parents, but not once did we go without, but in those days noone had/wanted the stuff they have nowadays"

Free school uniforms were scrapped a few years ago. Must be about 7 years or so because I lost my job & became a single mum due to ill health and I was too frightened to start claiming benefits for the 1st 18 months, so missed out on the last vouchers. Free school meals are still available thou x

By *hyguy 43Man  over a year ago

Swansea

"i think its dreadful that some people cant afford to feed their kids but there are so many people on benefits who drink and smoke dress their kids in next or designer clothes but cant afford a decent meal for them or always moan they are broke despite the fact they are on the fiddle with benefits it annoys me. I have worked since i was 16 and am out of work at the moment but i pay my bills and budget for everything i need i cant afford luxury but i cope i went from 22k to about 3 but i have learnt whats important. If i need a new telly i go to freecycle or clothes i go to charity shops or ebay. There isnt much excuse for these people to not be living within their means. May be im a heartless cow but you have to learn to adpapt"

Very well said. I am 43 now and have always worked. I lost my job a few weeks ago and havent had a penny off the state as yet but i have learnt to cut back and live within my means. I do feel sorry for some of the families but a lot of them have never worked and only take from the state. If they were that interested in feeding their kids they wouldnt spend so much time in the pub or bookies. They would be out looking for work to feed their families

» Add a new message to this topic