FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > One-up manship

One-up manship

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anything you can do i can do better, or can you?

Do you find in life sometimes, you’ll share an experience, good or bad and someone will come along and completely out do or diminish your situation with their own?!

Do you or salute the person who is one upping you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rMojoRisinMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

My dads bigger than your dad!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"My dads bigger than your dad! "

I know I've fucked your dad!

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I used to be guilty of this when I was younger but as I’ve got older I’m much more comfortable in my own skin. Not everything is a competition.

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

Honestly I would let them tell their story, others know when someone is embellishing a tale so I don’t tend to react

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

This is a bug bear with me, I am open to hearing someone's story, but when people don't show importance to my story first and try to outdo me then I shut down and walk away...

If they show importance to mine then tell me theirs then I am honestly happy to listen and provide the right response to them

By *urplechesterCouple  over a year ago

chester

Im the least competitive person I know, and always seem to attract those who feel they are superior or better! It drives me Insane when people cut you off just so they can jump in and talk about themselves! At that point I’ve lost interest and the convo is over. Miss pc

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Im the least competitive person I know, and always seem to attract those who feel they are superior or better! It drives me Insane when people cut you off just so they can jump in and talk about themselves! At that point I’ve lost interest and the convo is over. Miss pc "

Well said

One up manship,, I don’t get involved with that shit, I know my limitations and strengths and I’m comfortable with myself

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Oh my old boss used to do this constantly. We used to roll our eyes and then laugh about it

By *andsome HandMan  over a year ago

roundabout

An old acquaintance was leathal for this. If you'd drank eight pints he'd had ten. I just learnt to let him ramble on

By *aturegentdurhamMan  over a year ago

Stanley

Used to have a friend who would do that if anyone had been bad or in hospital.

They had always had it or had worse.

So i used to say oh i had ( would name something that cattle or sheep would get sway back, laminitis.

Foul of the foot, aurgescies disease)

They would say oh yes i had that.

It was fun just seeing how many they would say they had had.

As my daughter says about her step-mum...if you have been to Tenerife then she's been to Elevenerife

NBVN x

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Im the least competitive person I know, and always seem to attract those who feel they are superior or better! It drives me Insane when people cut you off just so they can jump in and talk about themselves! At that point I’ve lost interest and the convo is over. Miss pc "

Some people don’t really listen to what you’re saying, they’re literally just waiting for a gap or a hook so they can talk about themselves. They are completely unaware that they do it or how boring they are and they have no interest in people. I notice these people rarely ask questions , or at least interesting ones, they don’t need to as they know everything already

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I've been to elevenerife

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

I know I'm pretty good at what I do, not fussed if others think they can do it better

A colleague told me "don't tell them you drive an Aston Martin, just offer then a lift home", i.e. don't brag as the person you are talking to might drive a Rolls Royce.

There is always someone doing better than you, so to try one upmanship is to set yourself up for humiliation!

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Not to make it all about me, but I do sometimes wonder if I do this.

For me it's not about outdoing anyone or negating their experience, it's about saying "Yes I can empathise, I've been through a similar situation". Lately though I've taken to wondering whether that's how it comes across.

I don't tend to do it when someone is telling me about their achievements or great experiences they've lived, normally because I have a million questions to ask but also because I don't feel like I need to show understanding. I'm just not very good at giving sympathy without sounding sarcastic, so I try to find some commonality of experience.

By *jorkishMan  over a year ago

Seaforth

"Anything you can do i can do better, or can you?

Do you find in life sometimes, you’ll share an experience, good or bad and someone will come along and completely out do or diminish your situation with their own?!

Do you or salute the person who is one upping you? "

Those kind of people are very insecure

God yes. The best way to learn are from people who are better than you. Learn what they know to get to their level.

By *rMojoRisinMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

"My dads bigger than your dad!

I know I've fucked your dad!"

Bet he complained all the way through it!

"Not to make it all about me, but I do sometimes wonder if I do this.

For me it's not about outdoing anyone or negating their experience, it's about saying "Yes I can empathise, I've been through a similar situation". Lately though I've taken to wondering whether that's how it comes across.

I don't tend to do it when someone is telling me about their achievements or great experiences they've lived, normally because I have a million questions to ask but also because I don't feel like I need to show understanding. I'm just not very good at giving sympathy without sounding sarcastic, so I try to find some commonality of experience."

We have to be careful when sharing similar experiences as not to invalidate someone else’s. I only share when asked

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"As my daughter says about her step-mum...if you have been to Tenerife then she's been to Elevenerife

NBVN x"

Love that

By *ustamanMan  over a year ago

weymouth

It's probably apparent to folks that I dive, one of my dive buddies loves to regale newbies with his tales of derring do and extreme depths he's been to. What he always forgets is I was on all if those dives with him and they weren't as extreme as he's making out

By *issAphroditeWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

Also known as "Billy 2 sheds"

» Add a new message to this topic