FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Exploitation of our GOLD winning disabled people

Exploitation of our GOLD winning disabled people

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he tactile technician OP   Man  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

At a time when we are celebrating the achievements of our Gold winning disabled athletes and the joy of living in a multi diverse society where disability is nothing to be ashamed of certain of our global corporations and many more of our businesses that are only too happy to be seen promoting and supporting disability are constantly exploiting disabled people for their own commercial benefit and so as to take an advantage over their compettitors.

Perhaps a pat on the head and a token thanks is all that disabled people deserve after all?

Google will soon be releasing their NEW Chrome Box product. Currently R&D is concentrating on accessibility and usability, a potentially costly business with how R&D budgets can run away with themselves, so Google have found a solution to avoid that. Recruit a user group of volunteers to soak test the beta listen to their feedback, recommendations and suggestions on how to improve the accessibility and then insult them with a pat on the head and a token thank you in the form of a M&S gift card. Exploitation at its best, but nothing unique to Google, Sky adopt the same appauling tactics, and many disability equipment and auxilary aid manufacturers rely on user groups in their product R&D stages thanking participants with nothing more than a token gesture.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *arnayguyMan  over a year ago

Durham Tees

I am not disabled. I have not done much of this but in the past I have done a couple of these consumer feedback / product testing things. I wasn't paid, I just got refreshments and a token thank you. I didn't mind, it was intersting to do something different.

If that is the norm in consumer testing, disabled people may not be getting exploited any more than anyone else.

I would be interested to know what generally happens from someone in marketing/R&D.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"At a time when we are celebrating the achievements of our Gold winning disabled athletes and the joy of living in a multi diverse society where disability is nothing to be ashamed of certain of our global corporations and many more of our businesses that are only too happy to be seen promoting and supporting disability are constantly exploiting disabled people for their own commercial benefit and so as to take an advantage over their compettitors.

Perhaps a pat on the head and a token thanks is all that disabled people deserve after all?

Google will soon be releasing their NEW Chrome Box product. Currently R&D is concentrating on accessibility and usability, a potentially costly business with how R&D budgets can run away with themselves, so Google have found a solution to avoid that. Recruit a user group of volunteers to soak test the beta listen to their feedback, recommendations and suggestions on how to improve the accessibility and then insult them with a pat on the head and a token thank you in the form of a M&S gift card. Exploitation at its best, but nothing unique to Google, Sky adopt the same appauling tactics, and many disability equipment and auxilary aid manufacturers rely on user groups in their product R&D stages thanking participants with nothing more than a token gesture.

"

How is that any different to how consumer tests for any other product with a niche target market are done? I am sure that Chrome users with a disability would prefer to be involved with its development rather than forgotten about.

Google are just doing through RnD

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

What are you expecting them to get?

"What are you expecting them to get? "
you would have thought that travelling costs could be reimbursed at the very minimum, many disabled people incur additional travel expense and costs for the necessity to take with them a PA, would it be too much to ask that costs such as those are covered by the business doing the user group study?

evesham

"What are you expecting them to get? you would have thought that travelling costs could be reimbursed at the very minimum, many disabled people incur additional travel expense and costs for the necessity to take with them a PA, would it be too much to ask that costs such as those are covered by the business doing the user group study?"

Do google pay travel costs to able bodied people doing consumer testing?

As far as I was aware the law is there to ensure equality. If they were to get more than able bodied people that would be positive discrimination. If someone needs a pa then the cost of that pa is covered by the benefits the disabled person receives surely?

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

TT, there's not much that thee and me would really disagree on when it comes to exploitation of certain sectors of society I don't think. However, this is one of them. I do not know of ANY new product or service testing that pays the participants with more than 'a pat on the head and a token'. Sometimes it's a goody bag, a sample of the product and more material on their other products. Sometimes it's a lunch and travel expenses. Sometimes it's a gift token for a particular shop.

It's standard practice. Whether it is right or not it is how unbiased consumer testing is done. There may be a skewing of results if people are paid for their participation.

Would you argue that disabled people should be treated differently to other consumer groups in the testing of products and services? If so, why?

"TT, there's not much that thee and me would really disagree on when it comes to exploitation of certain sectors of society I don't think. However, this is one of them. I do not know of ANY new product or service testing that pays the participants with more than 'a pat on the head and a token'. Sometimes it's a goody bag, a sample of the product and more material on their other products. Sometimes it's a lunch and travel expenses. Sometimes it's a gift token for a particular shop.

It's standard practice. Whether it is right or not it is how unbiased consumer testing is done. There may be a skewing of results if people are paid for their participation.

Would you argue that disabled people should be treated differently to other consumer groups in the testing of products and services? If so, why?"

If we concentrate on product testing for one minute, no, I support a level playing field wherever possible, let us not forget though that the equality act and the disability discrimination act before that supported treating disabled people at an advantage over someone for whom such a disability wouldn't apply.

In respect of R&D of products though, I stand by my original claim that exploitation of disabled people is rife; it may also be that companies exploit non disabled people, somehow in the field of R&D I don't think that they do so much, they pay freelance consultants and employ agencies to gather together specific user groups according to the research they are conducting at the time. Disabled people could and in some instances do have additional expenses related to daily living, travelling and being accompanied by their PA. I think that it is only right that multi million global corporations recognise that and reimburse out of pocket expenses in addition to patting disabled people on the head and sending them off with a £10 amazon gift card.

evesham

" If we concentrate on product testing for one minute, no, I support a level playing field wherever possible, let us not forget though that the equality act and the disability discrimination act before that supported treating disabled people at an advantage over someone for whom such a disability wouldn't apply.

"

does it really? as far as i know its about EQUALITY....not one party at an advantage over another.

could be wrong so will go and check.

» Add a new message to this topic