FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What is the best gym equipment to get fit?

What is the best gym equipment to get fit?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man  over a year ago

folkestone

Ive just rejoined my local gym after taking a break because of back problems(now fully cleared up). I tend to use the treadmill, cross trainer and the rowing machine the most.

I want to get my fitness levels up because im am due to do a 10k charity run in a few months, and find running outdoors quite boring, so want to mix it up by going down the gym and running outside. Anyone know what the best gym equipment to use for cardio fitness?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A bed...

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

My personal choices would be a cycling machine, cross trainer and a swimming pool! All non-impact on the knees! Rowing machines are OK but I think the back may come for a bit of punishment

How big a target is the run, if that is your primary objective why would you do anything other than run?

But if running outdoors is boring how on earth do you cope with 30-40 minutes treadmill session which is what you ideally need to do for a 10km. Oh and running on a treadmill is not the same as running outdoors.

Vibrating Plate.. thingy..

but make sure its not one of the cheap ones.. argos ones etc are = rubbish..

you can get a really good one from the likes of ebay for £150..

they really work and help to keep the fat off.. if you get a decent one..

you need to hit the road.

ipod with music which gives you drive and energy.

i run a lot and nothing beats running outdoors in all weathers including rain!

plan a run which includes climbs and descent.

pace yourself, i use a micoach and hear the voice commands over the music.

By *alopeteyMan  over a year ago

maghull

do HIIT's hi intensity interval training great for upping endurance and stamina also great for burning fat

basically the way they work is this, for 10 mins have a decent warm up then for 40 secs to a min give it you full effort, then for 2 - 3 mins walk or go slow enough to slow your heart rate and catch your breath, and that's one interval and then rinse and repeat as many times as u like i usually do ten intervals that does me

it doesn't seem like much of a work out but its what its doing after you stop exercising that counts :D your still burning calories and repairing muscle for up to 8 hours after the work out :D great exercise all in all as for the times of the intervals they cab longer or shorter depending om your fittness level happy training

Cross trainer, wave machines, n swimming are the best, next to a damn good sex-a-thon that is!

By *razysexyladyWoman  over a year ago

hull

I run a lot too cos running a 24 mile run next month. Last year I couldn't run for a bus and now doing 6 miles every hour. Best things for cardio are defo running, cycling and swimming. And outdoors runnig is MUCH easier then treadmill. Scenery is better for a start ... Unless you have some hot birds at your gym lol. Ipod on, and pound the pavements

Motivation...

"I run a lot too cos running a 24 mile run next month. Last year I couldn't run for a bus and now doing 6 miles every hour. Best things for cardio are defo running, cycling and swimming. And outdoors runnig is MUCH easier then treadmill. Scenery is better for a start ... Unless you have some hot birds at your gym lol. Ipod on, and pound the pavements "

Lol hot birds in the gym

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

I used to run, and as someone has already said, there's nothing like it once you're in the zone.

If you're talking gym equipment, then the cross trainer, rower and cycle are the ones for the best cardio workout in my opinion.

I used to really enjoy the rower and especially working out against the onboard computer.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Do some cross country running, if you can, where the impact on your joints should be lessened, compared to roads etc, but where you'll get inclines that will push your endurance and strength more.

As for which gym equipment, any cardio equipment will push your stamina, so aim to consistently increase your training time, so that your fitness level increases.

As others say, whilst non-running training will help focus on specific areas to be better trained, it will increase some core strength too. Most running machines are fairly standard, but can also become tedious, hence a little bit of mixing it up would add some variety. Running outdoors is way nicer, unless you don't like bad weather etc. If you use the cross trainer machine, it will help improve your legs, as well as some upper body power.

Good luck!

By *razysexyladyWoman  over a year ago

hull

"I run a lot too cos running a 24 mile run next month. Last year I couldn't run for a bus and now doing 6 miles every hour. Best things for cardio are defo running, cycling and swimming. And outdoors runnig is MUCH easier then treadmill. Scenery is better for a start ... Unless you have some hot birds at your gym lol. Ipod on, and pound the pavements

Lol hot birds in the gym"

There's some hot birds in my gym! Esp the spin instructor! Yum!

A pair of running shoes - 40 quid

folkestone

"I used to run, and as someone has already said, there's nothing like it once you're in the zone.

If you're talking gym equipment, then the cross trainer, rower and cycle are the ones for the best cardio workout in my opinion.

I used to really enjoy the rower and especially working out against the onboard computer.

"

Ive found the rower quite addictive. Ive managed to increase from doing 1000 meters at a time to 4000 meters at a time in a couple of weeks.

folkestone

"do HIIT's hi intensity interval training great for upping endurance and stamina also great for burning fat

basically the way they work is this, for 10 mins have a decent warm up then for 40 secs to a min give it you full effort, then for 2 - 3 mins walk or go slow enough to slow your heart rate and catch your breath, and that's one interval and then rinse and repeat as many times as u like i usually do ten intervals that does me

it doesn't seem like much of a work out but its what its doing after you stop exercising that counts :D your still burning calories and repairing muscle for up to 8 hours after the work out :D great exercise all in all as for the times of the intervals they cab longer or shorter depending om your fittness level happy training "

does that make you able to do quicker times?. I always seem to do around the same time each time i do a 10k run.

Surprised nobody has mentioned swimming as a way of building stamina and cardio, fitness levels up.

You could also try cycling once a week to gain more stamina and fitness levels, but there is no substitute for experience, as said by others on this thread, get your trainers and ipod on and run outdoors in the environment you'll be doing the big run in.

Good luck.

"do HIIT's hi intensity interval training great for upping endurance and stamina also great for burning fat

it doesn't seem like much of a work out but its what its doing after you stop exercising that counts :D your still burning calories and repairing muscle for up to 8 hours after the work out :D great exercise all in all as for the times of the intervals they cab longer or shorter depending om your fittness level happy training "

There is so much bad advice in this post. I really don't know whether to laugh or cry...

» Add a new message to this topic