FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Obesity

Obesity

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

NHS reckon half the UK will be obese by 2030. I feel sorry for young kids who's parents dont give them a good start in life by feeding them fast food because they're too lazy to cook a proper meal.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

depends what they classing as obese. my son was called obese last year by the nhs even tho hes slim nearly 6ft. just cos hes a bit muscly up top from playing sports. some people are too quick to label these days.

kids these days are fussy though.

when i was a kid i would eat everything near enough that was put in front of me because my mum said it was wicked to waste food.

i had a job to get my son to eat what he was suposed to, he would just refuse to eat it.

he is lucky though because he has always been slim.

now he is grown up he lives on take aways.

he only eats when he is hungry though,

not for the sake of it.

Sometimes it's not people being lazy, there are those who are genuinely clueless in the kitchen. All my kids from an early age are shown how to cook.

By *ig jugsWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

Its not always the parents fault.my mum cooked health meals for us from scartch.banned sweets n fizzy drinks and really watched wat we ate but i was always big and it wasnt at home that did it it was friends houses and school meals etc.If kids want to eat they will do it away from their home.

By *hardonnay_slut84Woman  over a year ago

near you

we always had healthy meals at home from being a child, i played sports at school but still a size 18/20..

but too be fair i drink too much wine now ha

"NHS reckon half the UK will be obese by 2030. I feel sorry for young kids who's parents dont give them a good start in life by feeding them fast food because they're too lazy to cook a proper meal. "

Keeping them penned in their bedrooms wrapped in cotton wool and playing computer games instead of getting out and about playing out like my generation used to isn't helping either.

Wolf

This new bmi way is lazy i know a few people that were classed as obese from the weight to height method but when it was done properly they were classed as normal/ close to under weight so the new method doesnt really work all the time

Thes days it seems many that are actually just a tad 'chubby' are pigeonholed as 'obese' due to standardised statistical measures! Body shapes vary hugely, dependant on height and muscle development - do way more care needs to be taken before chucking labels at people!!

Doesn't help that it's much more expensive to eat healthy, If the government n supermarkets made healthier options cheaper, than a large bag of chips n fish fingers etc, then in this economy people would make those healthy choices as the necessity the way they do with fast food at the mo

"Thes days it seems many that are actually just a tad 'chubby' are pigeonholed as 'obese' due to standardised statistical measures! Body shapes vary hugely, dependant on height and muscle development - do way more care needs to be taken before chucking labels at people!! "

I have always tried to eat healthily, was good a sports and had several trophies for badminton and rugby. However overdoing the sports which damaged my joints, 12hour shifts in incident response eating irregularly plus 4 hours commuting doesn't help.

I am hoping to join a slimming club to address the problem.

Young people watch television fast-food adverts, I am sure it all add to it. TV make it all out to be the best food ever and the offer like super size meals dont help. I cant get over BIG MAC Over 500 Calories thats with out chips. My family like but its only now and again .Its food thats easy to get fast food and lots love it all. So thay need to be the ones to help people the Fast food Giants but thats only half cutting back on food loaded in Calories and moving more .

I think.it is easy to judge, I chloe am still now classed as obese but I am a curvy size 12.

That is not what I would call obese.

Xx

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Just walked along the sea front, pleasant enough day with some sun, no sign of rain...but a total lack of parents taking their children out for a healthy stroll.

When my kids were small I would take them out for a walk at every opportunity in the summer months....maybe it's a generation thing.

"Doesn't help that it's much more expensive to eat healthy, If the government n supermarkets made healthier options cheaper, than a large bag of chips n fish fingers etc, then in this economy people would make those healthy choices as the necessity the way they do with fast food at the mo "

Totally agree with this.

By *ilandlarryCouple  over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"Doesn't help that it's much more expensive to eat healthy, If the government n supermarkets made healthier options cheaper, than a large bag of chips n fish fingers etc, then in this economy people would make those healthy choices as the necessity the way they do with fast food at the mo "

I am currently trying to lose a bit of weight but can't afford the fresh meat and veg needed for meals. It's cheaper to pick up breaded chicken/fish from the supermarket which is packed full of calories.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

You can get a fresh chicken breast in a supermarket for around the One pound mark, a handful of vegetables added will get you a fresh healthy meal for less than Two pounds...

"You can get a fresh chicken breast in a supermarket for around the One pound mark, a handful of vegetables added will get you a fresh healthy meal for less than Two pounds..."
Tecos have fresh fish on offer too .. i love fish had good offers on .

By *uckoldandWifeCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

its funny how everyone is wanting to define obese as somethng that suits them, one persons obese is another's tubby or big on top...obese is what it is, its being heavier with fat (not muscle) than you should be for your height. Don't think of it as the super fat which is how we might have thought about it in the past, it just means "not a healthy weight". Obesity leads to all kinds of health problems and Type II Diabetes and Gall Stones are problems, which are sky rocketing amongst people of all ages.

Kids are fat because their parents let them be whether they get food (with parents money)or at a mates, outside the house. Parents are supposed to influence their childrens decision where best they can. Now when you see kids under 7 who are obese, you have to wonder what new excuses the parents will come up with. Not looking after your kids health and best interest isn't good however it happens.

"NHS reckon half the UK will be obese by 2030. I feel sorry for young kids who's parents dont give them a good start in life by feeding them fast food because they're too lazy to cook a proper meal.

Keeping them penned in their bedrooms wrapped in cotton wool and playing computer games instead of getting out and about playing out like my generation used to isn't helping either.

Wolf

"

By *he one in the middleMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"kids these days are fussy though.

when i was a kid i would eat everything near enough that was put in front of me because my mum said it was wicked to waste food.

i had a job to get my son to eat what he was suposed to, he would just refuse to eat it.

he is lucky though because he has always been slim.

now he is grown up he lives on take aways.

he only eats when he is hungry though,

not for the sake of it."

I have just taken a look at your pics I see you do eat the right food

"This new bmi way is lazy i know a few people that were classed as obese from the weight to height method but when it was done properly they were classed as normal/ close to under weight so the new method doesnt really work all the time"

The 'BMI Index' is rapidly becoming discredited (thankfully). Most professional trainers and nutritionists are adopting the measure of body fat as the better guide to someones level of obesity - specially when it comes to well-built muscley rugby players! And yes, the Body Fat Measure IS a bit demeaning (you have to have your love handles etc measured between tongs!) but, as they say in the best books........ TOUGH!

I have lost six stone in the last two years simply by getting my head out of the slop bucket - only eat when you feel hungry (remember that feeling..... We used to call it meal time!!), and watch the carbs like a hawk!

Although kids nowadays get away with little or no exercise, it is the sugar content in their diets which is increasing the weight of the average teenager - not fat!! Funny how the obesity rate has INCREASED at almost exactly the same rate as the adoption of 'low fat' diets....?

Trouble is, there is so much misinformation out there, you just can't get at the truth...

Im sorry but i dont agree thats its too expensive to eat healthy.

In fact the cost of fish and chips and ready meals cost soooooooo much more.

I can cook a healthy balanced meal for 4 people , costing less than i ready meal. which is packed with tons of crap.

Shop wisely and it wont cost a fortune

Simple thing to do take away Xbox play station and tvs get them outside playing so they burn it off

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"

Trouble is, there is so much misinformation out there, you just can't get at the truth...

"

Apologies upfront for only quoting the last part of your post but you are so right - we get conflicting messages on a daily basis to a point where many parents are totally confused as to what to feed their offspring and themselves. Not offering an excuse for becoming vastly overweight but surely this does not help those who do want to eat the right things?

"Simple thing to do take away Xbox play station and tvs get them outside playing so they burn it off"

Thats the thing.

As kids we were never in the house.

Rush in, eat and then off again. roller skates, bikes, fishing net...

we had loads to do and see.

But i can look out my window now and there are no kids out playing. and thats out of about 12 kids in immediate area. they all sat indoors on their bums

"Simple thing to do take away Xbox play station and tvs get them outside playing so they burn it off

Thats the thing.

As kids we were never in the house.

Rush in, eat and then off again. roller skates, bikes, fishing net...

we had loads to do and see.

But i can look out my window now and there are no kids out playing. and thats out of about 12 kids in immediate area. they all sat indoors on their bums "

I wonder also whether the adults are not exactly good role models at times? I remember being dragged for walks I did not want to go on...

Using good fresh veg, a small amount of meat makes for a balanced meal. my mom could make a meal out of nothing and im the same.

Young mums havent been taught the basics and are now struggling.

Think i will open up me own place teaching them to cook,.

just get ur kids active from a young age and they can eat a moderately healthy diet and not turn into lil blimps

"just get ur kids active from a young age and they can eat a moderately healthy diet and not turn into lil blimps

"

I think you have a point there - and also it is good for kids to have natural competition in running, kicking a ball, cycling etc...

"

Apologies upfront for only quoting the last part of your post but you are so right - we get conflicting messages on a daily basis to a point where many parents are totally confused as to what to feed their offspring and themselves. Not offering an excuse for becoming vastly overweight but surely this does not help those who do want to eat the right things? "

Absolutely - and the fact that take-away food is not required to be labelled in the same way as shop bought food (ie. fat, protein and carb/sugar contents) does not help at all! Hate to say it, but McDonalds (swiftly followed by KFC as they didn't want to be embarrassed!) partly did the 'right thing' by publicising the calorie content of their 'food'. Just a pity they didn't include the protein, fat and sugar......

yeh i had puppy fat as a kid but i was also one of the most active in the neighborhood aswell

jumpers for goalposts and all that

great days and fond memories

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

Well hey who knows what is good or bad for you ,we are not getting consistent food advice .The food standards agency has no expert in diabetes sitting on its advisory panel and that is shocking ,but lots of people associated with the Low fat food industry and people in marketing. its a total shambles this and previous governments should hang there heads in shame in my opinion.. the food industry is just too powerful.

Remember when eggs were bad for you and full of cholesterol ,yeah they are but its the good stuff ,the latest research is Grilling your food increases the chances of diabetes by 52% ,I mean come on at least give us a fighting chance of feeding our kids properly .!!!!

Don't know how much they are in Doncaster, but in my local chippie a large bag of chips is £1.80. In my nearest ASDA yesterday, for 20p more I got 10 good sized oranges.

When anyone walks in the shop or takeaway door, YOU have a choice. YOU can choose what to spend YOUR money on. If YOU choose to spend it on chips and fish fingers, that's YOUR choice. It's nothing to do with the Government or the supermarket.

The "going back to basics" we all read about is simple.

Cook fresh food, dont buy low fat crap,ready meals etc....

Just like 30 odd years ago...

"The "going back to basics" we all read about is simple.

Cook fresh food, dont buy low fat crap,ready meals etc....

Just like 30 odd years ago... "

I am lucky in that my kids have all had the x-box/playstation/wii experience, but it is also balanced by swimming/cycling/skateboarding/windsurfing/canoeing/skiing and playing out down the beach or park. All my life I've encouraging them to join me in sports etc. Some parents need to lead by example.

Balance in all things, from diet to exercise. Plus educating kids in good old fashioned cookery classes and not writing them notes to skive off from gym every week would help.

"I am lucky in that my kids have all had the x-box/playstation/wii experience, but it is also balanced by swimming/cycling/skateboarding/windsurfing/canoeing/skiing and playing out down the beach or park. All my life I've encouraging them to join me in sports etc. Some parents need to lead by example.

Balance in all things, from diet to exercise. Plus educating kids in good old fashioned cookery classes and not writing them notes to skive off from gym every week would help.

"

Could not agree more, I have encouraged mine to join me in things from swimming to cycling to going to the gym etc. Mine all love their food and it is a pleasure to cook for them without worrying about it.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Rationing. The healthiest the population has ever been.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

may the parents role model to the children and then they theirs.....

"Rationing. The healthiest the population has ever been."

Yep, the ultimate calorie-controlled diet! Certainly the sugar content, which you may have gathered is my little hobby horse..... lol!

I never experienced rationing, but my mum enforced portion control ..... she had to with three permanently starving kids.

My daughter was skinny until she was 3 years old. She then ballooned by huge amounts. We gave her healthy meals, she didn't eat sweets, she was walked to and from school every day.

I was given filthy looks in the street, "how could you let your daughter gt that big" were constant comments that I heard behind my back.

It wasn't until she was 7, and by then very upset by her size, and the comments made by other bullies, that we found out what the problem was.

She has a metabolic disorder.

If she doesn't eat something every couple of hours, to stimulate her metabolism, she gains weight, very very quickly.

SO all those people who judge us "neglectful parents" please think twice!

My other daughter is a size 8, and eats exactly the same food!

Sometimes they can get away with some junk food if they are active enough and encouraged to go play football or whatever instead of being parked in front of a tv/console all the time.

"My daughter was skinny until she was 3 years old. She then ballooned by huge amounts. We gave her healthy meals, she didn't eat sweets, she was walked to and from school every day.

I was given filthy looks in the street, "how could you let your daughter gt that big" were constant comments that I heard behind my back.

It wasn't until she was 7, and by then very upset by her size, and the comments made by other bullies, that we found out what the problem was.

She has a metabolic disorder.

If she doesn't eat something every couple of hours, to stimulate her metabolism, she gains weight, very very quickly.

SO all those people who judge us "neglectful parents" please think twice!

My other daughter is a size 8, and eats exactly the same food! "

The sheer fact that your daughter ballooned so quickly at such a young age should have had your GP rushing to get her referred to a specialist, but I'll bet it didn't.. Bet you had to push and push to get yourself taken seriously which is a terrible shame for your little girl..

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

There isn't one silver bullet answer to this problem because it's multifaceted.

Education - in terms of what to eat and what to avoid, as well as how to cook - is an issue, as has been mentioned.

Lack of exercise and too much time spent on computers and consoles is a real problem. We wrap kids in cotton wool instead of letting them play outside from sunrise to sunset.

I actually agree with the person who said healthy food is more expensive than TV dinners. I don't think it's the responsibility of anyone but the parents, however, and the State shouldn't interfere in pricing (it would just increase other prices rather than leading to a reduction).

One thing I have noticed is that British supermarkets are bad places to try and find ingredients to cook. Instead we have aisles full of spaghetti hoops and crisps and cook-in sauces. Having lived on the continent I've seenhow our European counterparts design their supermarkets and it puts us to shame.

Lastly when I was a nipper my mum only worked part time so was free to spend a couple of hours each day cooking. I don't know any of my son's friends whose parents don't both work. People tend to work longer hours these days so have neither the time nor the inclination to cook when they're only getting home at 6 or 7 o'clock at night.

So, like I said, it's a multifaceted problem sadly.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Doesn't help that it's much more expensive to eat healthy, If the government n supermarkets made healthier options cheaper, than a large bag of chips n fish fingers etc, then in this economy people would make those healthy choices as the necessity the way they do with fast food at the mo

Don't know how much they are in Doncaster, but in my local chippie a large bag of chips is £1.80. In my nearest ASDA yesterday, for 20p more I got 10 good sized oranges.

When anyone walks in the shop or takeaway door, YOU have a choice. YOU can choose what to spend YOUR money on. If YOU choose to spend it on chips and fish fingers, that's YOUR choice. It's nothing to do with the Government or the supermarket.

"

Oranges and chips are not comparable.

I feel the poster ( who is talking good sense ) meant a big family bag of frozen chips not chippy chips.

King's Crustacean

"There isn't one silver bullet answer to this problem because it's multifaceted.

Education - in terms of what to eat and what to avoid, as well as how to cook - is an issue, as has been mentioned.

Lack of exercise and too much time spent on computers and consoles is a real problem. We wrap kids in cotton wool instead of letting them play outside from sunrise to sunset.

I actually agree with the person who said healthy food is more expensive than TV dinners. I don't think it's the responsibility of anyone but the parents, however, and the State shouldn't interfere in pricing (it would just increase other prices rather than leading to a reduction).

One thing I have noticed is that British supermarkets are bad places to try and find ingredients to cook. Instead we have aisles full of spaghetti hoops and crisps and cook-in sauces. Having lived on the continent I've seenhow our European counterparts design their supermarkets and it puts us to shame.

Lastly when I was a nipper my mum only worked part time so was free to spend a couple of hours each day cooking. I don't know any of my son's friends whose parents don't both work. People tend to work longer hours these days so have neither the time nor the inclination to cook when they're only getting home at 6 or 7 o'clock at night.

So, like I said, it's a multifaceted problem sadly."

Well said.

Add to this sensible non accusative answer the fact that governments are directly involved with American Sugar and Oil companies and you will always get cheap non nutritious foods marketed in wonderful ways.

King's Crustacean

Yep That slip of a lad Winston Churchill ..... you could slip him through the railings.

"Rationing. The healthiest the population has ever been.

Yep That slip of a lad Winston Churchill ..... you could slip him through the railings. "

But he lived to a ripe old age.

King's Crustacean

Yep That slip of a lad Winston Churchill ..... you could slip him through the railings.

But he lived to a ripe old age."

You said ripe on purpose!

My wife who is much younger than I am remarked that the people she has seen in documentaries and films from the 60s and 70s were much slimmer than people she sees in documentaries she sees now.

Of course they were. People didn't drive everywhere like they do today. Far fewer people had cars and far more people walked-even if it was just to the bus stop-and cycled. They didn't have all the labour saving devices that people have today such as electrically or petrol fuelled lawnmowers and strimmers, electrically powered kitchen items like whisks, electric toothbrushes, electric shoe-polishers and, for Christ's sake remote control so they didn't have to get off their backsides to switch channels on their televisions (if they had one). When they travelled by train they had to turn handles to open doors and windows rather than just pressing buttons, and they had to walk up stairs rather than just stand motionless on escalators and lifts.

Far more people gardened because far more people grew fruit and vegetables in their gardens or on allotments. School children spent far more time playing because they didn't have televisions and computers to slob out in front of, and when they were at school they did more games and sports, and far more of them walked and cycled to school than they do now .

People ate more healthily because they didn't have all the junk food which has been foisted on us now. (And I'm sorry, but to those who claim that junk food is cheaper, this is just not true. How much does it cost to buy some fresh liver, potatoes and two veg and some Bramley apples to make an apple pie for pudding? For two of us, a meal like this cost us £3.00 not including the gas we used to cook it).

Personally I think it is a national disgrace that we have allowed ourselves to become a nation fat slobs and that the excuses people make should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"(And I'm sorry, but to those who claim that junk food is cheaper, this is just not true. How much does it cost to buy some fresh liver, potatoes and two veg and some Bramley apples to make an apple pie for pudding? For two of us, a meal like this cost us £3.00 not including the gas we used to cook it).

Personally I think it is a national disgrace that we have allowed ourselves to become a nation fat slobs and that the excuses people make should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

"

I agree with almost everything that you wrote... except the part about healthier food costing less than processed, unhealthy food.

Tesco sells 8 "Everyday Value" beefburgers for 80p, 400g of "Everyday Value" tinned spaghetti is 20p and 1.5kg of "Everyday Value" frozen chips is 82p. And for desserts you can have 8 "Everyday Value" choc ices for 60p.

My shopping list comes in at £2.42 and is enough for more than just one meal... although you may need more tins of spaghetti.

I'm not saying that this is healthy or tasty - but it is cheaper than your shopping list (which, incidentally, also didn't include eggs, flour, sugar, etc... for your dessert).

Anyone fancy coming over to mine for burgers, chips and spaghetti tonight?

Well I have been fat all my life and from bully's at school to twats at work never got away from being called fat

But I changed my life had a gastric band fitted and now lost 5stone

Yea me !!!

"Well I have been fat all my life and from bully's at school to twats at work never got away from being called fat

Yea me !!!"

Well done you

Only those with said problem will know how bloody hard it is

"Well I have been fat all my life and from bully's at school to twats at work never got away from being called fat

Yea me !!!"

Well done. It's a state of mind as much as anything else.

I have been skinny and fatter than I am now and hated both. Even skinny (size 8) because I was curvy with it one of my aunts used to call me fatso and when fat my paternal grandmother told me that no man would ever want me like that. The only real difference is that I now feel comfortable in my skin - that's about my head not my body. Still fat, not obese, but healthier.

Keep up the positive thoughts.

I find that trying to buy the healthy option whilst living alone is just too expensive, occasionally I'll buy fresh stuff as a treat but then feel guilty & worried that I've spent too much on it

I'm not complaining as such, it's just how it is and I've gotten used to it, I'll eat some right bleedin' concoctions so long as it's cheap

I think a lot has been said about kids not going out to play as we did as kids, but I think something needs to be said about how kids aren't encouraged to go out to play nowadays. The media plays a large part in this in reporting how society is a more dangerous place and that there are more paedophiles/dangerous people out there, when, personally, I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. But I understand given the way stories relating to children are reported, why parents are wary.

And lets not forget that even 20 yrs ago, there wasnt the choice we have today. Humans are programmed to eat to excess when food is plentyful in order to survive the days of no food. Only we dont have days of no food and the choice is everywhere .

I know when i was younger we never ate out at all. there was no mcdonalds etc. We as human beings are overwhelmed with food at every corner, unfortunately some choose to eat at every corner....hence the problem

"And lets not forget that even 20 yrs ago, there wasnt the choice we have today. Humans are programmed to eat to excess when food is plentyful in order to survive the days of no food. Only we dont have days of no food and the choice is everywhere .

I know when i was younger we never ate out at all. there was no mcdonalds etc. We as human beings are overwhelmed with food at every corner, unfortunately some choose to eat at every corner....hence the problem "

Totally agree, I remember going to McDonalds as being a HUGE treat. And a getting a takeaway was a once a year event.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

"I find that trying to buy the healthy option whilst living alone is just too expensive, occasionally I'll buy fresh stuff as a treat but then feel guilty & worried that I've spent too much on it

I'm not complaining as such, it's just how it is and I've gotten used to it, I'll eat some right bleedin' concoctions so long as it's cheap "

I cook for myself, occasionally I'll eat with the other members of the house, but usually I cook my own meals.

I spend a day a month cooking bulk, and freezing. In the freezer at the moment I have seafood jambalaya, chicken jambalaya, tuna bake, lamb kofti, falafel, and various other things.

All hand made from scratch, healthy ingredients. I just defrost when I want them, microwave some frozen veggies and jobs a good 'un. It doesn't have to be expensive.

And I really can't cook, I just follow recipes I find online.

You can say no...pleny do!!

Too easy to gorge yourself!

"You can say no...pleny do!!

Too easy to gorge yourself!"

You will find that over eating is a physcological(wrong spelling..oops) problem so the reasons why need to be dealt with first . Only those who dont have a problem find the answer easy

the push of globalization means that advertising is constantly showing unhealthy choices from fizzy drinks to food. according to one study i read if you drink 3 glasses of fizzy drink a day you are likely to be obese in later life by up to 33%.

the fact is we are not educated well enough in school to learn to take our time as the brain takes 20mins to tell your body its full.

its all about moderation and thats were the uk struggles as we cannot take our time with food but instead eat it to quickly, with many people not even chewing properly before swallowing (not a sexual pun)

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I dropped a dress size a few years ago simply by giving up fizzy drinks, no other lifestyle changes.

But I was drinking about 2litres of a day.

Bad eating habbits are passed down, over weight kids as a rule will have over weight parents

You feed your kids the same shit you feed yourself and its a vicious circle, you think your being a good mum by buying your kids 'nice' food but in reality your setting them up for a unhealthy eating habbits and life style

About 5 years ago i was a size 24 and all my kids was over weight for this very reason, id go to the chiipy so id buy my kids a chippy, i ordered pizza so i ordered enough for everyone and so it goes

Then i decided enough was enough and i joining slimming world and the gym and went from a size 24 to a size 10, tho i have put some of the weight back on, stopped buying crap, no cakes, no chocolate, ete started eating healthy and cooked the same for everyone and guess what, all my kids are now a healthy weigtht too

You hear it so many times....oh fat runs in my family, its my medication, peope going on about the 'fat gene' when in reality most (note i said most and not all) people are over weight because they simply eat to much they just dont want to admit it so look for reasons ro justify it, i know i used them all myself

its very hard to look at yourself as a size 24 and say...i didn this to me, but in reality i did and only you can change it and pass down better eating habbits to our kids

"Bad eating habbits are passed down, over weight kids as a rule will have over weight parents

You feed your kids the same shit you feed yourself and its a vicious circle, you think your being a good mum by buying your kids 'nice' food but in reality your setting them up for a unhealthy eating habbits and life style

About 5 years ago i was a size 24 and all my kids was over weight for this very reason, id go to the chiipy so id buy my kids a chippy, i ordered pizza so i ordered enough for everyone and so it goes

Then i decided enough was enough and i joining slimming world and the gym and went from a size 24 to a size 10, tho i have put some of the weight back on, stopped buying crap, no cakes, no chocolate, ete started eating healthy and cooked the same for everyone and guess what, all my kids are now a healthy weigtht too

You hear it so many times....oh fat runs in my family, its my medication, peope going on about the 'fat gene' when in reality most (note i said most and not all) people are over weight because they simply eat to much they just dont want to admit it so look for reasons ro justify it, i know i used them all myself

its very hard to look at yourself as a size 24 and say...i didn this to me, but in reality i did and only you can change it and pass down better eating habbits to our kids"

Still say this is all about PERSONAL CHOICE.

Okay, there are some ridiculously cheap 'foods' in the shops today, but do you HAVE to buy them? And when was the last time you kept a food diary of EXACTLY what you have eaten in a day? You've only got to watch one episode of C4's Secret Eaters to realise that far too many people have no idea whatsoever what they put down their throats in the course of a day.

If you actually stuck to the calorie and carobohydrate guidelines the Government gives out (ah yes - it's all THEIR fault isn't it) most people would be surprised to find that it costs pretty the same to eat 'healthily' (or, as it should be, 'correctly') when you're exercising proper portion control, as it does when you don't give a stuff and just pile the plate ever higher.

I tried kidding myself and making all the excuses for years. My weight went up to 27st and was a contributing factor in my relationship with my boys mother breaking up. Since I faced up to the fact that it was MY CHOICE to be the way I was, I have lost half the excess I need to, and feel so much better for it.

And, surprise-surprise, my food bill hasn't gone up. But the food I am buying now is so much more enjoyable than the crap I lived in for years...

"Bad eating habbits are passed down, over weight kids as a rule will have over weight parents

its very hard to look at yourself as a size 24 and say...i didn this to me, but in reality i did and only you can change it and pass down better eating habbits to our kids"

Brilliant post NN and sume of the harsh truth of the situation perfectly. So many of the posts on this thread are full of bullshit excuses because people won't take responsibility.

I regularly get told that I'm "lucky because I can eat what I like and not put weight on" - well no it's not luck it's called exercising everyday and the minute I get ill or injured I cut the portions right down to avoid piling on the pounds.

If you starve a child it's abuse, you feed it full of crap so that it's obese and socially that's fine.

You will find that over eating is a physcological(wrong spelling..oops) problem so the reasons why need to be dealt with first . Only those who dont have a problem find the answer easy "

Absolutely agree. This is my big bug-bear with programmes like 'Biggest Loser' etc. They put moridly obese people through sheer hell, and levels of exercise which are just plain bloody dangerous to make a 'TV show', but they never show any of them sitting with a Psychiatrist going over the issues as to how they got to the size they are and WHY they eat the way they do.

The fact that people, in general, do not do this before embarking on a diet regime is why the diet 'industry' is practically self-perpetuating - they are doomed to ultimate failure as they address the symptoms, not the cause...

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"You can get a fresh chicken breast in a supermarket for around the One pound mark, a handful of vegetables added will get you a fresh healthy meal for less than Two pounds..."

And an apple costs less than a mars bar.

its very hard to look at yourself as a size 24 and say...i didn this to me, but in reality i did and only you can change it and pass down better eating habbits to our kids

Brilliant post NN and sume of the harsh truth of the situation perfectly. So many of the posts on this thread are full of bullshit excuses because people won't take responsibility.

I regularly get told that I'm "lucky because I can eat what I like and not put weight on" - well no it's not luck it's called exercising everyday and the minute I get ill or injured I cut the portions right down to avoid piling on the pounds.

If you starve a child it's abuse, you feed it full of crap so that it's obese and socially that's fine. "

Well said, 2wheels

Choice and control assumes that everyone is mentally healthy enough to manage their weight. I know what I eat and why I am fat. I have also met people over the years that really cannot exercise control as they are unwell.

The reasons we clad ourselves in fat are complex. Just as the reasons are for those that starve themselves. Just are the reasons for those that exercise to excess. Some do have genuine medical reasons for gaining weight, and that affects how you feel mentally about it all too.

As NN has said we also influence our children with these choices. These include rushing meals and eating in front of the television. Eating standing up and doing other things. Eat mindfully and allow your body to know it's satisfied. Have a sip of water if you feel hungry just to check it isn't thirst.

Getting well takes on different forms but everyone I have met and all that I have read show that when you change your whole attitude to what you are eating you make the permanent changes. Losing weight quickly is never the answer but we all want instant results.

Yes, a fat person spouting all of this because I know what choices I have made and why.

You will find that over eating is a physcological(wrong spelling..oops) problem so the reasons why need to be dealt with first . Only those who dont have a problem find the answer easy

Absolutely agree. This is my big bug-bear with programmes like 'Biggest Loser' etc. They put moridly obese people through sheer hell, and levels of exercise which are just plain bloody dangerous to make a 'TV show', but they never show any of them sitting with a Psychiatrist going over the issues as to how they got to the size they are and WHY they eat the way they do.

The fact that people, in general, do not do this before embarking on a diet regime is why the diet 'industry' is practically self-perpetuating - they are doomed to ultimate failure as they address the symptoms, not the cause...

"

Much more succinct than the rant I was writing at the same time.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I can't remember not being anything but a size 24. My daughters 21, 25 and 29 are sizes 8, 8 and 6 respectively. My eldest is usually an 8 too but got down to a 6 for her wedding last week.

My girls have never been fat or raised on junk food. I remember my dad being upset when he came to visit as he wanted to take them to McDonald's and they weren't interested.

My husband and I cooked healthy food for our girls. Difference is, my husband and my girls went walking, swimming, gym, running etc, while I studied for my law exams and munched.

Not everyone fat has fat kids, same as not all gym slip mums become grans at 30...but I get your point.

Apart from any health issues related to being very over or very underweight - if we were all a perfect size (whatever this shold be as depending on height etc) ... wouldnt that be a bit boring? Long live diversity!

Didn't this work the other way though, and led to a malnourished population.

It is just as unhealthy to be underweight than it is to be overweight.

I'm currently a member of a diet class, it's more expensive due to healthy food costing more, but far more beneficial.

Didn't this work the other way though, and led to a malnourished population.

It is just as unhealthy to be underweight than it is to be overweight.

I'm currently a member of a diet class, it's more expensive due to healthy food costing more, but far more beneficial.

"

No, the population was anything but malnourished due to wartime rations. The wartime rationed diet was meticulously worked out to provide exactly what both adults and children needed to stay healthy - maintaining health was vital in wartime. A population which KNEW it was getting unhealthy due to the rations was one which may not have stayed the course of the war, and protests to bring us out of the war could well have been the result.

As for the healthy foods costing more - are these branded ones promoted by the diet class? If so, then of course they will be. But you can eat healthily/correctly buying 'ordinary' foods and keep within a normal family budget, just by going back to basic principles, much as others have already said in this thread.

"

As for the healthy foods costing more - are these branded ones promoted by the diet class? If so, then of course they will be. But you can eat healthily/correctly buying 'ordinary' foods and keep within a normal family budget, just by going back to basic principles, much as others have already said in this thread.

"

And there was a program a while back where a former Blue Peter presenter agreed to follow a so-called "lite" diet for a month. It was costly, she felt ill and actually had gained a pound or so after 4 weeks.

"

And there was a program a while back where a former Blue Peter presenter agreed to follow a so-called "lite" diet for a month. It was costly, she felt ill and actually had gained a pound or so after 4 weeks. "

Probably cos it was so low in calories, her body went into survival mode and stored every bit of food she did it as fat just to keep her alive....

Yea me !!!

Well done you

Only those with said problem will know how bloody hard it is "

Yep your right

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

think exercise is the key .. for example .. sir chris hoy eats 8000 calories a day .. way ova RDA but he works it off ! input .. output ... need to correspond

Yea me !!!

Well done. It's a state of mind as much as anything else.

I have been skinny and fatter than I am now and hated both. Even skinny (size 8) because I was curvy with it one of my aunts used to call me fatso and when fat my paternal grandmother told me that no man would ever want me like that. The only real difference is that I now feel comfortable in my skin - that's about my head not my body. Still fat, not obese, but healthier.

Keep up the positive thoughts."

» Add a new message to this topic