FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lance Armstrong Drops Doping Fight

Lance Armstrong Drops Doping Fight

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Lance Armstrong has announced he will stop his fight against the doping charges that have been brought against him. The Doping Agencies have taken that as an admission. Armstrong now stands to lose all the titles won over his illustrious career.

He is clear that he does not admit the charges.

A very sad day, he achieved so much inside and outside of his sport.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

you still have to put in the miles no one rides that bike for you, do they ?? BUt they should do it without doping,drugs or whatever other means are available .....still think he wrote the best book about overcoming adversity .....dont see him as a cheat somehow whatever the outcome ......

"Lance Armstrong has announced he will stop his fight against the doping charges that have been brought against him. The Doping Agencies have taken that as an admission. Armstrong now stands to lose all the titles won over his illustrious career.

A very sad day, he achieved so much inside and outside of his sport. "

i would like to know more before makin an informed judgement but i does seem like a witch hunt if other posts are to be looked at.

not sure how the US doping authorities have the legal right to strip him of anything as surely this would be down to the International cycling union!!!

They have yet to find him guilty of anything but it seems he feels the fight is one sided.

allegations from one or two possibly disgruntled former colleagues i would take with a pinch of salt but as many as TEN people willing to testify against him makes me think.. WHY???

yet he never failed an dope test!!! He is either very fortunate or very clever not to have got caught doing it or he has seriously pissed off so many people that they all participate in a conspiracy to blacken his name.

what do any of them have to gain? Are they dopers themselves doing a deal??? and hoping for lenient treatment in exchange for big fish??

as i said i am not drawing any conclusion because i dont know the full details but it certainly made my head turn when i saw the news...

i like Lance a lot and yes he has done some tremendous things outside of the sport and i just dont want to believe its true but if its a conspiracy, i want to know WHY????

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

They should leave him alone. Some sad team mates are just trying to spoil his glory

By *drenaline rushMan  over a year ago

Burnley

Sad day watched him ride in all of the tours he won he has never failed a drugs test is it not innocent untill proven guilty shocking standards

"They should leave him alone. Some sad team mates are just trying to spoil his glory"

yes but my question would be.. why???

ten of them??? one or two maybe..

why wait till he wins 7 times, why not after 3 or 4...

something doesnt feel right to me..

but as is said i will defer judgement until i know more detail.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

I've always believed Lance to be clean, maybe naively so.

Far more to this than meets the eye, I think.

It was reported during the TdF that riders who testified against him would receive lenient sentences if their testimonies implicated them in doping too. George Hincapie seemed to be the odd one in the bunch though, made a lot of money out of his association with Armstrong over the years and I'm not aware of active doping allegations against him ?

A real shame if he was doping during all those years though. That one day in the Alps all those years ago would suggest he was though, looking at it from a cynical point of view. Stomach upsets and hitting the wall one day, blowing everyone away up a Hors Categories the next !

"Lance Armstrong has announced he will stop his fight against the doping charges that have been brought against him. The Doping Agencies have taken that as an admission. Armstrong now stands to lose all the titles won over his illustrious career.

A very sad day, he achieved so much inside and outside of his sport.

i would like to know more before makin an informed judgement but i does seem like a witch hunt if other posts are to be looked at.

not sure how the US doping authorities have the legal right to strip him of anything as surely this would be down to the International cycling union!!!

They have yet to find him guilty of anything but it seems he feels the fight is one sided.

allegations from one or two possibly disgruntled former colleagues i would take with a pinch of salt but as many as TEN people willing to testify against him makes me think.. WHY???

yet he never failed an dope test!!! He is either very fortunate or very clever not to have got caught doing it or he has seriously pissed off so many people that they all participate in a conspiracy to blacken his name.

what do any of them have to gain? Are they dopers themselves doing a deal??? and hoping for lenient treatment in exchange for big fish??

as i said i am not drawing any conclusion because i dont know the full details but it certainly made my head turn when i saw the news...

i like Lance a lot and yes he has done some tremendous things outside of the sport and i just dont want to believe its true but if its a conspiracy, i want to know WHY????"

What I would like to know is WHO is authorising or providing the money to continue the court action against Armstrong. They appear to want to make their point at any cost, and clearly Armstrong could be bankrupted by the legal fees to fight it.

Would not be surprised the French are behind it - they do NOT like non-French winners of the TdF - and they when an 'American' comes over and takes seven titles off them, they are are not going to be best pleased.

(end of xenophobic rant)

hes a drug cheat pure and simple,all be it 1 who battled back bravely from cancer.the old ''everyone is out to get me'' arguement wasnt goin 2 cut it faced wit all the evidence against him.i dont think anyone cud win 7 tours clean.dont think u cud win 1 clean.

"hes a drug cheat pure and simple,all be it 1 who battled back bravely from cancer.the old ''everyone is out to get me'' arguement wasnt goin 2 cut it faced wit all the evidence against him.i dont think anyone cud win 7 tours clean.dont think u cud win 1 clean."

so you are saying Bradley Wiggins is a doper??????

Hinckley

"hes a drug cheat pure and simple,all be it 1 who battled back bravely from cancer.the old ''everyone is out to get me'' arguement wasnt goin 2 cut it faced wit all the evidence against him.i dont think anyone cud win 7 tours clean.dont think u cud win 1 clean."

What a ridiculous, baseless statement !

shit didnt think dat 1 thru b4 postin.was delightd 2 c bradley win.but team g.b at olympics showed what happens when ur clean and ride a 250 km race 6 days after the tour.they were visibly spent,as they should have been.the sport is just too demandin

shit didnt think dat 1 thru b4 postin.was delightd 2 c bradley win.but team g.b at olympics showed what happens when ur clean and ride a 250 km race 6 days after the tour.they were visibly spent,as they should have been.the sport is just too demandin.mr c

Speaking from a complete outside perspective.

It does strike me as being a tad odd that someone who professes their innocence and who obviously has a strong competitive edge needed to reach the level of success he did during his career, is no longer willing to face the challenge of protecting his reputation….

After-all, surely he is innocent until proven guilty and the onus is on those who wish to discredit him… !

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

as soon as lance started to put a run together in the tour de france the french were out to get him!,they did not like the thought of anquetil and hinaults records being over taken and the french police hounded lance to the point of raiding his teams hotel and team bus at all hours,even disturbing the riders sleeep at night thus disturbing the preperation for the very next stage!,they searched the hotel & emptied the rubbish bins but guess what?,they still did not find anything~!.

this hounding in turn stopped lance from riding in france except for the big tour!,he did not ride the paris-nice or the midi libre traditional TDF preperation races instead he rode in holland & belgium then returned to the mountains of colorado for the mountainous preperation in much the same way brad wiggins went to tenerife to acclimatise.

you can bet the french are behind it all and lance is not going to pour his hard earned wages into a bottomless pit in legal fees to fight the french who have more money & venom for this farce.

Hey it's a bit like all those accusational people who raised gender issues about South African Athlete Caster Semenya….!.

Oh, what red faces they must have now….. !!! eh!

"I've always believed Lance to be clean, maybe naively so.

"

Same here. Maybe he's just to perfect and the rest have to stain his image to pander to their own imperfections.

Is sport really that unsporting these days?

Wolf

incidentally lance is still active in sport in usa regulary competing in and still winning mountain bike cross country events and also triathlon events such is the competitive edge that he has still.

you cannot stop a winner from wanting to keep on winning and that was his goal in TDF wanting to win and also to beat the french in their own race!.

Hinckley

It was tactics and the fact that all the other teams were prepared for anyone to win except GB/Sky that lost them the road race in the Olympics. Look at Chris Froome in the Tour of Spain currently for proof of how these guys go from event to event performing at peak or close to peak performance. Do you think they rest on rest days during the Tour too ?

"incidentally lance is still active in sport in usa regulary competing in and still winning mountain bike cross country events and also triathlon events such is the competitive edge that he has still.

you cannot stop a winner from wanting to keep on winning and that was his goal in TDF wanting to win and also to beat the french in their own race!."

he is currently suspended from world triathlon corporation events....

"incidentally lance is still active in sport in usa regulary competing in and still winning mountain bike cross country events and also triathlon events such is the competitive edge that he has still.

you cannot stop a winner from wanting to keep on winning and that was his goal in TDF wanting to win and also to beat the french in their own race!.

he is currently suspended from world triathlon corporation events...."

it happens!,if one authority suspends you it carries on down the line.

he had been regulary racing in mountain bike and triathlon events up until the suspension though.

the last bit is bull shit

This has nothing to do with the French, they are not behind it.

This is a US led investigation and it is rooted in an investigation into the use of public monies. The evidence against Armstrong was not the initial driving factor of the investigation, but became so as it came to light.

The innocent until proven guilty thing is a bit of a red herring here. Armstrong was charged with doping by USADA. He had two options. He could contest the charges in arbitration, allowing his lawyers to cross examine both the evidence and those testifying against him. Or he could accept USADA's findings and punishment, and not contest the charges. He chose the latter. His guilt is established by his refusing arbitration.

As for the 'never failed a drugs test' line, neither have a string of other top Cyclists who were doping and have been banned - Britain's David Millar being one of them.

The sad fact is that Armstrong rode during the worst period of doping in the history of Cycling. He was an average rider before the cancer - certainly never a TDF contender. The idea that he managed to ride clean and beat the best riders in the world, most of whom have been shown to be doping, is ridiculous.

It's sad. He would have been an inspiration just by getting beating cancer and getting back on his bike.

"He was an average rider before the cancer - certainly never a TDF contender."

an average rider?, he turned pro late in 1992 after a successfull career as a tri-athlete but was found to be good at the cycling leg so took up pro cycling after the 1992 olympics,in his first full season(1993)he won 10 single day races including a stage of the tour de france and became youngest world champion when he won the world championship in norway sept of that year,hardly average!.

Average in terms of being a Grand Tour contender, yes. He was, however, a good one day racer, capable of picking up stage wins and the odd classic. But that wasn't my point.

"Average in terms of being a Grand Tour contender, yes. He was, however, a good one day racer, capable of picking up stage wins and the odd classic. But that wasn't my point."

in your first season or two as a pro rider you generally only ride one day races and up to the mini tours like dauphine-libere and the midi-libre so how can you describe as not a tour de france contender?,remembet jan ullrich won the amateur worlds championship the day before lance became world champion and he was built for one day races but did win TDF.

people hear the words "drugs in sport" and automatically think drugs make you go faster but its not like that at all,you do still have to get many miles in,put in hours of effort,bikeriders/sportsmen might take something to help the recuperation period after such efforts and even to help breathing but do not engineers,judges,policemen,teachers,shopkeepers etc take something before they go to work after a night out?,or if they have a cold?,sportsmen have to be so careful if they take a cold medicine or something to ease breathing if under the weather.

its not a little pill to suddenly turn the postman into a world class sprinter at all.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Sport wise the Americans are a very proud nation, really can't see them getting embroiled in a French led conspiracy to discredit one of their highest achieving sportsmen ever....

The fact that it is the Americans themselves who pushed this says to me that he is unfortunately guilty.

Great shame....

"in your first season or two as a pro rider you generally only ride one day races and up to the mini tours like dauphine-libere and the midi-libre so how can you describe as not a tour de france contender?,remembet jan ullrich won the amateur worlds championship the day before lance became world champion and he was built for one day races but did win TDF."

There is no comparison between Ullrich and Armstrong in their early years. Both rode Grand Tours 4 times between the ages of 21-22 and 25. Armstrong only completed 1, withdrawing from the other 3. He finished 36th in the one he finished, an hour and a half behind. He was regularly left trailing in the mountains, and showed little sign of the time trialling ability of later years.

Ullrich, at a similar age, won the TDF and Vuelta, and finished 2nd the other two TDF's. He was a contender from his first Grand Tour. Ullrich was built for cycling. He was an all-rounder and could climb and time trial from the start. Armstrong only became an all rounder when he returned having beat his cancer.

Yeah, he did everything he could to stop the case being brought forward and when he failed he announces he will not contest it. Why? I guess because that stops further disclosures and he retains what little is left of his credibility.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

not read all this ;but why can he still win triathlons ?

why could he win the leadvill 100

when he came back?

in his last two tdf he still placed

high .

i dont think he did dope

and hope he gets answers to why they turned on him.

ripon

just one more thing who takes

the wins 99;2006 jan ulrich is a great rider who i admire but hes been done

for epo i think

also contador is a doper

Armstrong has got what was coming to him. Stupid thing was if it wasn;t for his arrogance he would not have been purused. He has got of lighht that the federal investigation didn't put him inside.

He is wise quitting now, as damage limitation goes it is a wise move. The finances of Livestrong the charity, Livestrong the business and his other business links are shady to say the least. One of his businesses owns a private jet, paid for by a loan from the Livestrong the business, leased (at a far higher cost) to Livestrong the charity and for the personal use of LA. Likewise Livestrong the charity spends far more on promoting LA than it does promoting cancer awareness.

He needs to stop it coming out just how corrupt he truly is (he is believed to have bribed the equally corrupt UCI several years ago) because if/when Livestrong unravels then he loses all credibility and with it his political aspirations.

If they were to take his wins who would get them?they would need to know 100 percent the next man was drug free.that is now impossible! It would also open so many flood gates.eddie merx would loose his titles.then in everyother sport the repercusions would be endless.

Still an inspiration

"just one more thing who takes

the wins 99;2006 jan ulrich is a great rider who i admire but hes been done

for epo i think

also contador is a doper"

I have read that in 1999 the first rider not subsequently implicated in doping finished outside the top 10 and that in every tour LA won the top 5 in each one have all subsequently been implicated.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

if he is innocent he would fight it..

yes usada have not 'proven any guilt' in a hearing but pretty sure now they will publish their case..

the guy has fought cancer, why not fight for his reputation which lets be honest is now tainted as a drug cheat..

"if he is innocent he would fight it..

yes usada have not 'proven any guilt' in a hearing but pretty sure now they will publish their case..

the guy has fought cancer, why not fight for his reputation which lets be honest is now tainted as a drug cheat.."

The fact he hs chose not to fight it anymore is not proof of guilt.

He has had years of it.I would be sick of it by now.

It may be costing him a lot of money.

He has never failed a test

Piss and blood don't lie

People do

the guy has fought cancer, why not fight for his reputation which lets be honest is now tainted as a drug cheat.."

He has fought it. 2 challenges were turned down, on one he was pretty much laughed out of court because his challenge had no legal basis but went for his usual tactic of discreditting witnesses.

the guy has fought cancer, why not fight for his reputation which lets be honest is now tainted as a drug cheat..

Piss and blood don't lie

People do "

People do. Including Armstrong. He regularly claimed to be the most tested cyclist on earth. The reality is he was not even the most tested American cyclist called Armstrong (that honour fell to Kirsten Armstrong).

He's a nasty piece of work. Interesting piece in one of the magazines recently by a journalist who states that after an article Armstrong took exception to he rang him and made thinly veiled threats against both him and his family.

And then there are the attacks on Lemond. On Kimmage. On Simeoni. They are just the high profile ones.

The guy is a unrepentent bully.

ripon

cant believe he discused

how to cheat with fellow riders

if he took drugs noone

would see;he would not be that daft.

to have witneses about'

but the one thing that bugs me is

evryone did them in that era

dont think indurain has ever been accussed though?

"cant believe he discused

how to cheat with fellow riders

if he took drugs noone

would see;he would not be that daft.

to have witneses about'

but the one thing that bugs me is

evryone did them in that era

dont think indurain has ever been accussed though?"

Indurain has never been accused but similarly he's never talked about when discussing clean riders. The turning point was Bjarne Ris' tour win when he was known as Mr 60%, a reference to how much he was abusing EPO. But EPO had been around for a fair time by then so it stands to reason Indurain used it. But Indurain is also known and respected for his humility, maybe the difference is he didn;t piss the wrong people off?

"

The guy is a unrepentent bully."

or an american sportsman.the two are largely the same

not only was he charged wit doping but also administring drugs 2 his team mates,thats how his team mates knew bout it.reason he didnt contest charges was lying wud hav been a federal offence and he didnt want 2 end up like marion jones.in jail.hes an arrogant bully.todays a good day for sport

in Lancashire

Piss and blood don't lie

People do "

yes but thats not what a lot of folk will conclude, is'nt it...

just an ordinary bod here but i would be fucked if i laid down and accepted i was guilty if i knew i was innocent..

he has plenty of money i would imagine, yes a legal defence is not cheap..

if i had never failed a test thats even more reason i would fight to clear my name..

"

he has plenty of money i would imagine, yes a legal defence is not cheap..

."

He is incredibly wealthy. Prior to his first tour win he was wealthy enough to be able to retire from a very skilled use of stocks and shares. With endorsements not even being discussed for less than 6 figures and public speaking demanding a quarter of a million on top of a multi-million dollar pay cheque, his wealth has NOTHING to do with why he is not contesting this.

"not only was he charged wit doping but also administring drugs 2 his team mates,"

This is actually pretty much the norm in cycling. Unusal in that he was the team leader but drugs were always secured from more more senior team-mates who also advised how best to use them.

when you dope in a doped up tour and win 7 times thats still 7 wins.

epo and steroids dont make a world class athlete

im on trenbolone and testosterone and i get knackered walking the dog,let alone whacking out 500watts for an hour up alpe d huez

[Removed by poster at 24/08/12 20:49:35]

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

A couple of interesting Titbits here...

1) the USADA are in no position to strip him of his TDF wins... its not their jusisdiction... that would be the UCI

2) Said UCI have in fact asked the USADA for the evidence... so far the USADA have refused....

"when you dope in a doped up tour and win 7 times thats still 7 wins.

epo and steroids dont make a world class athlete

im on trenbolone and testosterone and i get knackered walking the dog,let alone whacking out 500watts for an hour up alpe d huez"

Not long ago you were saying he was innocent, now you accept that he doped but he didn't matter...

That's not a criticism , but my earlier point was damage limitation and your opinion will be far from uncommon in America which is all that matters.

But you are wrong on EPO, I vaguely know someone that has taken it and it makes an amazing difference. Would it make a donkey like me a world class rider no. Would it turn a good solid pro into a tour podium finisher, then yes undoubtedly.

I've never said h guilty or innocent,we don't know.chances are as per the tour in that era he was.

What he did was amazing.the battles that era left us are the ones that get talked about.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

have actually read most of the USADA document and it is actually really damning and very through... I wish they had given this to the UCI earlier rather than making a splash for their own reputation...

the fact that some of sports most respected figures blew the whistle on him tells its own story....

the shame is that livestrong did a great job in promoting treatment against cancer.....

in Lancashire

"hav

the fact that some of sports most respected figures blew the whistle on him tells its own story....

the shame is that livestrong did a great job in promoting treatment against cancer....."

i think some of the other facts coming out about just how many were unclean and for how long is damning also..

cancer is a vile disease, heard a guy on 5live today actually question whether armstrong actually had it or was it a marketing ploy..

if the guy is as corrupt as a person, who knows..

RIght so let's say he is guilty, but as its been pointed out so were the other top 10 riders so does that mean he was doing more or doing it more efficiently than everyone else, or that he was a better rider than everyone else from the start? ALso watched road to glory about team sky and they said doping gives you an extra 15 percent does 15 percent turn an average rider into a tour winner?

RIght so let's say he is guilty, but as its been pointed out so were the other top 10 riders so does that mean he was doing more or doing it more efficiently than everyone else, or that he was a better rider than everyone else from the start? ALso watched road to glory about team sky and they said doping gives you an extra 15 percent does 15 percent turn an average rider into a tour winner?

[Removed by poster at 11/10/12 14:38:53]

I'll never be able to watch Dodgeball again, or at least the bit where Lance Armstrong has a cameo role.

Hinckley

"hav

the shame is that livestrong did a great job in promoting treatment against cancer.....

i think some of the other facts coming out about just how many were unclean and for how long is damning also..

cancer is a vile disease, heard a guy on 5live today actually question whether armstrong actually had it or was it a marketing ploy..

if the guy is as corrupt as a person, who knows.. "

He went through a lot of shit to fake cancer if that's the case...seen the photos of when he was ill ?

"hav

if the guy is as corrupt as a person, who knows..

He went through a lot of shit to fake cancer if that's the case...seen the photos of when he was ill ? "

One of the few truths of the LA story is that he definitely had cancer. It is also true that his drug use was linked to both it's seriousness and the late detection.

Allegedly fessed up to a shedload of usage to the doctor's treating him, much like Pantantani when he almost lost his leg, doctor's can't talk though can they else this would have been put to bed years ago.

Now let's see how much dirt they dig on Livestrongs finances - that will just about finish him off but it is all out there already.

"RIght so let's say he is guilty, but as its been pointed out so were the other top 10 riders so does that mean he was doing more or doing it more efficiently than everyone else, or that he was a better rider than everyone else from the start? ALso watched road to glory about team sky and they said doping gives you an extra 15 percent does 15 percent turn an average rider into a tour winner?"

EPO did turn donkeys into racehorses. Bjarne Ris (aka Mr 60%) went from barely about to get over a motorway bridge to being a great climber.

Raimond Rumsas is another.

Still cant believe its true, absolutely gutted for Lance ..... I`ll still wear my LIVESTRONG band with pride ...

as people have said on other forums , you throw enough S**T , and some will eventually stick

Whats amazing is the doping agency even went outside there OWN guidelines to try and prove he doped !!

He`s the most tested cyclist of all time .. between 500-600 tests during his career and NOT 1 positive result !

Hinckley

The revised (obviously hypothetical) standings for the past nearly 20 years make interesting reading now !!

http://cypresstrees.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/revised-tour-de-france-top-10-clean.html

"He`s the most tested cyclist of all time .. between 500-600 tests during his career and NOT 1 positive result !"

Errr that is yet another LA lie. Not even the most tested American cyclist called Armstrong...

This whole affair sadly reminds me of the kids story, the Emperor has no clothes! Surely we all suspect by now that doping in top level cycling over the last couple of decades has been endemic, and yet because we like his story we believe a man has managed to produce the superhuman feat of 7 Tour victories beating other men who were drugged to the eyeballs along the way.

If something seems too good, maybe it is too good to be true, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but you can't help but wish we could have opened our eyes earlier.

right ok so epo makes a big difference but why did he win so many tours in an era when everyone was doping??? was he doing more than anyone else or was he just better than everyone else??

this is my main issue i cant understand why he was so far ahead of everyone else in a sport that was full of dopers...

"A very sad day, he achieved so much inside and outside of his sport. "

Not without the regular assistance of banned performance enhacing substances that denied his fellow competitors the opportunity to compete against him on a level playing field. He cheated on an industrial scale and there it nothing sad about a cheat being found out and punished accordingly. He deserves to stripped of his titles and I think his sponsors over the years who have funded him believing him to be a true athlete should sue him to recover their money. He should end up with nothing.

"right ok so epo makes a big difference but why did he win so many tours in an era when everyone was doping??? was he doing more than anyone else or was he just better than everyone else??

this is my main issue i cant understand why he was so far ahead of everyone else in a sport that was full of dopers... "

Armstrong trained obsessively.While his chief rival in those years Jan Ulrich would put weight on in the winter and was known to party had LA was known to train on Christmas day.

But his doing was way ahead of everyone else's. Ferrari was and is a genius. Armstrong has paid him over $1million in transfers plus quantified amounts of cash. Many of his rivals were busted in operation Puerto and were paying a fraction of that amount.

"I think his sponsors over the years who have funded him believing him to be a true athlete should sue him to recover their money. He should end up with nhing. "

Nike have categorically stated their support for him.

But he was sponsored by United states postal service. This was all funded by American taxpayers. There has already been 1 federal investigation but it was dropped. I suspect it could be reopened.

The Usada report also offers enough evidence to convict Armstrong of pergory. Which is why Maria Jones went down. He is very well connected, he is on first name terms with George bush and in livestrong has a very convincing jimmy saville line of defence but he must surely be sitting it right now

"A very sad day, he achieved so much inside and outside of his sport.

Not without the regular assistance of banned performance enhacing substances that denied his fellow competitors the opportunity to compete against him on a level playing field. He cheated on an industrial scale and there it nothing sad about a cheat being found out and punished accordingly. He deserves to stripped of his titles and I think his sponsors over the years who have funded him believing him to be a true athlete should sue him to recover their money. He should end up with nothing. "

You're right but seven weeks ago when the story broke and I made that quote we didn't have the benefit of seeing the evidence. Many of us who followed this guy reacted with a sense of sadness as all we had to go on was the incredible achievements of a man who had never failed a drugs test.

I now feel genuinely cheated by the man because he has obtained my admiration by deception, but that is still tinged with a fair helping of sadness.

For me cycling will not fully recover from this.

"right ok so epo makes a big difference but why did he win so many tours in an era when everyone was doping??? was he doing more than anyone else or was he just better than everyone else??

this is my main issue i cant understand why he was so far ahead of everyone else in a sport that was full of dopers...

Armstrong trained obsessively.While his chief rival in those years Jan Ulrich would put weight on in the winter and was known to party had LA was known to train on Christmas day.

But his doing was way ahead of everyone else's. Ferrari was and is a genius. Armstrong has paid him over $1million in transfers plus quantified amounts of cash. Many of his rivals were busted in operation Puerto and were paying a fraction of that amount."

RIght so the way I see it Is Armstrong was the best rider of that generation because he put the effort in all year unlike he's rivals who thought that cheating alone would get the job done, now I'm not an Armstrong fan but let's be honest to come through what he did and even race again is an inspiration for many, plus he had that mentality of a great sportsman can we say without everyone cheating a full clean race he wouldn't of won them 7 tours anyway?

» Add a new message to this topic