FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Free School Meals

Free School Meals

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

16% of the kids in Essex are reported to be on FSM. That figure is high imo. I thought the south east was supposed to be wealthy. Not sure if it's higher in other parts. We need to feed our kids

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"16% of the kids in Essex are reported to be on FSM. That figure is high imo. I thought the south east was supposed to be wealthy. Not sure if it's higher in other parts. We need to feed our kids"

Essex parents probably more skilled at working the system!!

By *batMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Trouble is the wealth isn't evenly distributed. The SE as a whole is affluent, but that's a mix of all socio economic groups.

The current UK govt can even brag "we've never had this many food banks" as if that were an achievement.

Gbat

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"16% of the kids in Essex are reported to be on FSM. That figure is high imo. I thought the south east was supposed to be wealthy. Not sure if it's higher in other parts. We need to feed our kids"

Lots of people assume the south east is wealthy. What that actually means is that a high number of wealthy people live here, the rest of us are not wealthy

We do need to feed our kids and imo free school meals do just that

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Up to year 2, every child is entitled to free school meals regardless of parents finances. Does that figure include them?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"16% of the kids in Essex are reported to be on FSM. That figure is high imo. I thought the south east was supposed to be wealthy. Not sure if it's higher in other parts. We need to feed our kids

Up to year 2, every child is entitled to free school meals regardless of parents finances. Does that figure include them? "

Ah I didn't know that. I wonder if that figure is included too

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"16% of the kids in Essex are reported to be on FSM. That figure is high imo. I thought the south east was supposed to be wealthy. Not sure if it's higher in other parts. We need to feed our kids

Up to year 2, every child is entitled to free school meals regardless of parents finances. Does that figure include them? "

Didn’t know that when did that start? I miss out on everything

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

One London borough there are roughly 38,500 school children, 15,600 of them are entitled to free school meals. So the SE maybe seen as an affluent area, but there are large sections of it that are not

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Essex parents probably more skilled at working the system!!"

In what way?

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Up to year 2, every child is entitled to free school meals regardless of parents finances. Does that figure include them?

Didn’t know that when did that start? I miss out on everything "

Years ago! I was a school cook when it started and I not been working there at least 5 of 6 years x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"One London borough there are roughly 38,500 school children, 15,600 of them are entitled to free school meals. So the SE maybe seen as an affluent area, but there are large sections of it that are not "

Hastings is a very poor town in line with lots of seaside towns. I think the issue is national.

"Trouble is the wealth isn't evenly distributed. The SE as a whole is affluent, but that's a mix of all socio economic groups.

The current UK govt can even brag "we've never had this many food banks" as if that were an achievement.

Gbat"

By “wealth”, you must mean “tax”?

It’s hardly taken equally is it.

On a mooch

"One London borough there are roughly 38,500 school children, 15,600 of them are entitled to free school meals. So the SE maybe seen as an affluent area, but there are large sections of it that are not "

2014 I think, if they are in a government funded school

On a mooch

"One London borough there are roughly 38,500 school children, 15,600 of them are entitled to free school meals. So the SE maybe seen as an affluent area, but there are large sections of it that are not

Hastings is a very poor town in line with lots of seaside towns. I think the issue is national."

It is unfortunately

[Removed by poster at 26/06/21 13:29:38]

liverpool

When I was at school.que

Hovis tune...if your parents were unemployed, you qualified for free school dinners,dunno if this has changed or not?

I can imagine in some more affluent areas,it would be something to shout about

I would say not, children up to year 2 are entitled to fsm without filling in a form and because of this they won't bother. Some aren't aware of the form to be filling in and get a shock when they are told they have to start paying.

Thanx to the percentage of fsm my job doesn't exist in September due to funding being heavily based on this number. We are very surprised on the figure as we know alot of out children should be entitled.

Means they're missing out on what they are entitled to for what ever reason that form has not been filled out

It was in place about 8 years ago then it stopped for a bit and it's started back up again. It was a great way of getting my eldest to try different foods that she wouldn't try at home. Can't do it with the youngest unfortunately, he has a dairy allergy and I don't trust the school caterers.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Our children qualified for free school meals at one point

ashford

The whole r 1 and 2 scheme is ridiculous x

Paradise, Herts

Didn’t know that when did that start? I miss out on everything

Years ago! I was a school cook when it started and I not been working there at least 5 of 6 years x"

Ah right. After my youngest then. Annoys me in a way as as far as I know the benefits system goes on income and ignores outgoings. When I worked in London yeah I had a good job but what about the £500 a month it cost me in travel and the £500 a month it cost me in childcare?! My income was probably not a lot different to those getting free school meals.

liverpool

I would say not, children up to year 2 are entitled to fsm without filling in a form and because of this they won't bother. Some aren't aware of the form to be filling in and get a shock when they are told they have to start paying.

Thanx to the percentage of fsm my job doesn't exist in September due to funding being heavily based on this number. We are very surprised on the figure as we know alot of out children should be entitled.

Means they're missing out on what they are entitled to for what ever reason that form has not been filled out "

Maybe there is an element of shame about?

I remember someone on here saying they were embarrassed as they had to sign on.

Utterly scandalous thanks to the daily mail and its ilk.

By *indergirlWoman  over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

My oldest didn't get it and she's just going into year 7, but my youngest did, so about 5 years ago x

Chelmsford

Means they're missing out on what they are entitled to for what ever reason that form has not been filled out

Utterly scandalous thanks to the daily mail and its ilk."

Blimey Lionel...

You would blame the Daily Mail if your Doner Kebab had too much salad....

Paradise, Herts

Blimey Lionel...

You would blame the Daily Mail if your Doner Kebab had too much salad...."

I think its disgraceful that any child should have to pay for school meals...they should be supplied free to every child regardless of status.

liverpool

Blimey Lionel...

You would blame the Daily Mail if your Doner Kebab had too much salad...."

Fucking hell

What type of school did you go too?

Donner kebabs for dinner?

On a mooch

"I think its disgraceful that any child should have to pay for school meals...they should be supplied free to every child regardless of status.

"

May I ask why ?

Paradise, Herts

"I think its disgraceful that any child should have to pay for school meals...they should be supplied free to every child regardless of status.

"

Why?

By *irty desireWoman  over a year ago

newcatle

They are feeding them?

Chelmsford

Why?"

So that there is no stigma or judgment. When I was at primary school the free school meal kids got a third of a pint of free school milk in a bottle. Even at that age they were singled out as poor.

Why?"

All we here these days are about "5 a day" and "obesity" etc etc ... we all pay enough taxes to cover an exceptable cost of ensuring our children have at least one healthy balanced meal a day

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Why?

So that there is no stigma or judgment. When I was at primary school the free school meal kids got a third of a pint of free school milk in a bottle. Even at that age they were singled out as poor. "

There’s a budget and it only goes so far. So if you wanna give people that don’t need it help so others don’t feel “judged” be prepared for proper that need it to get less

Paradise, Herts

Why?

So that there is no stigma or judgment. When I was at primary school the free school meal kids got a third of a pint of free school milk in a bottle. Even at that age they were singled out as poor. "

When I was at school everyone got a small bottle of lukewarm milk if I remember rightly (yuk). Where’s the money going to come from to give every child a free school meal?!!

w

Why?

All we here these days are about "5 a day" and "obesity" etc etc ... we all pay enough taxes to cover an exceptable cost of ensuring our children have at least one healthy balanced meal a day"

How ridiculous to suggest that the government has to provide children their one healthy balanced meal a day.

What are the parents doing?

On a mooch

Why?

There is no stigma. At our school each child has a unique code they tell the teller, no money crosses hands or vouchers. Those that pay top up their accounts with cash, those that don’t enter voucher codes or are exempt. The child doesn’t even know they are getting FSM

Paradise, Herts

Why?

All we here these days are about "5 a day" and "obesity" etc etc ... we all pay enough taxes to cover an exceptable cost of ensuring our children have at least one healthy balanced meal a day

How ridiculous to suggest that the government has to provide children their one healthy balanced meal a day.

What are the parents doing? "

Exactly! Bloody hell. Nobody’s “entitled” to anything! It’s getting ridiculous.

liverpool

Why?

Probslly struggling to survive

liverpool

Why?

Exactly! Bloody hell. Nobody’s “entitled” to anything! It’s getting ridiculous. "

So kids should starve?

w

Why?

Probslly struggling to survive "

What does that even mean? It’s just a dribble comment.

If they’re struggling to survive they can access help and free school meals. We’re talking about why he’s suggesting ALL kids should get a free school meal

ashford

"

No way! They shd all be means tested! The free meals for stage 1 is given to all and shouldn't b! There are more needy kids of working parents on low income x

Paradise, Herts

Why?

So kids should starve?"

Lionel he was saying everyone should get free school meals regardless of income. So

No kids shouldn’t starve! Stop trying to twist peoples words. You’re good at that.

On a mooch

Why?

All we here these days are about "5 a day" and "obesity" etc etc ... we all pay enough taxes to cover an exceptable cost of ensuring our children have at least one healthy balanced meal a day"

It’s no ones responsibility but mine to feed my child, that would only change if I fell on dire circumstances. That one school meal isn’t as balanced or nutritious as you may think, it’s something to help fill a hole in the middle of the day.

w

Why?

So kids should starve?"

Absolute dribble

No ones even saying this. Is this a master class on how to just not read the comments?

liverpool

Why?

So kids should starve?

Lionel he was saying everyone should get free school meals regardless of income. So

No kids shouldn’t starve! Stop trying to twist peoples words. You’re good at that. "

You both suggested people shouldnt be entitled to anything.

If people can afford school dinners they should do

If people can't there should be help.

what i dont get is why did they give out meal vouchers in the lockdown when it was school holidays, dont people feed thier kids when they are on holiday?

Paradise, Herts

No way! They shd all be means tested! The free meals for stage 1 is given to all and shouldn't b! There are more needy kids of working parents on low income x"

Exactly. I don’t even think everyone should get child benefit. Although that is now more means tested. It never used to be.

Paradise, Herts

[Removed by poster at 26/06/21 13:49:04]

Paradise, Herts

"what i dont get is why did they give out meal vouchers in the lockdown when it was school holidays, dont people feed thier kids when they are on holiday?"

Yeah I didn’t understand that either.

On a mooch

Why?

So kids should starve?

No kids shouldn’t starve! Stop trying to twist peoples words. You’re good at that.

If people can't there should be help."

Read the first paragraph of this conversation, what is being said is all children should receive FSM irrespective.

Why?

You say ridiculous, I say paying 100s of millions of pounds on a unneeded royal yacht is ridiculous.

Most parents be it single or as a couple are both working longer hours just to survive these days.

Look, I'm not saying it will ever happen and I'm realistic to know it never will, but we'd all love a perfect world

w

Why?

So kids should starve?

No ones said that, you’ve said that

We’re both saying maybe we should prioritise people that are seriously in need instead of giving people that don’t need it help

What’s up with this guy?

Everyone should get free meals

“Well maybe not everyone, just those in need”

Oh so you want to starve children?

WTF

Paradise, Herts

Why?

So kids should starve?

I agree. The original comment was saying all children should be entitled to free school meals.

That, I don’t agree with.

On a mooch

"what i dont get is why did they give out meal vouchers in the lockdown when it was school holidays, dont people feed thier kids when they are on holiday?"

I think that comes down to where you are. I know our borough provides food all through the holidays for those entitled to it. All comes out of the borough budget

w

Why?

You say ridiculous, I say paying 100s of millions of pounds on a unneeded royal yacht is ridiculous.

Most parents be it single or as a couple are both working longer hours just to survive these days.

Look, I'm not saying it will ever happen and I'm realistic to know it never will, but we'd all love a perfect world"

Then why don’t you fight against that? Coz I agree, it’s ridiculous

But so is blindly giving people that don’t need it free meals

The logic in here is crazy

How does a total yacht lead to “free meals for all!”

liverpool

Why?

Look, I'm not saying it will ever happen and I'm realistic to know it never will, but we'd all love a perfect world

How does a total yacht lead to “free meals for all!”"

Because recently the gmnt voted to stop free school meals.

Yet they are quite happy to pay for a fuck off yacht for an obscenely rich family.

Priorities eh?

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 26/06/21 14:01:45]

ashford

No way! They shd all be means tested! The free meals for stage 1 is given to all and shouldn't b! There are more needy kids of working parents on low income x

Exactly. I don’t even think everyone should get child benefit. Although that is now more means tested. It never used to be. "

Used to have a pair of brothers come in sometimes without a proper packed lunch sometimes none! But as parents worked they were not entitled to free meals! I allways made sure they ate! It was a little country school and some very wealthy families kids got the key stage one free meals just seemed unfair! X

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I know of one child whose well off parent witheld food as a punishment. Free school meals would have ensured they ate while the safeguarding issues were sorted.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

If the percentage is important or newsworthy then

It's important to clarify how the 16 percent is arrived at? All school kids? A selection of school kids.? Does one meal a year count.? One meal a week? Every meal for all 36 weeks?

And yes the principle of our kids being fed healthy food is important.

"what i dont get is why did they give out meal vouchers in the lockdown when it was school holidays, dont people feed thier kids when they are on holiday?

I think that comes down to where you are. I know our borough provides food all through the holidays for those entitled to it. All comes out of the borough budget"

Arri's kids have never had free meals in the holidays until covid happened then she was offered them, she refused

Why?

How does a total yacht lead to “free meals for all!”

Because recently the gmnt voted to stop free school meals.

Yet they are quite happy to pay for a fuck off yacht for an obscenely rich family.

Priorities eh?"

think you are mis understanding the role of the royal yacht

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

School meals should just be free for everyone

I thought all children are entitled to GSM up to a certain age, but after that FSM was determined by the parents income irrespective of where you live. We use to get dinner tickets when we were at secondary school in Bermondsey (South East London).

Sorry I meant 'FSM' not GSM.

» Add a new message to this topic