FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Euthanasia

Euthanasia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

With the fact that its been in the news with tony nicklson, what are your thoughts on the subject. Iknow its a contraversial subject.

I totally believe those that do not have a quality of life she be allowed to die with dignity. Ive already told my mother i wont let her suffer. But i guess the main question will be what do you class as a quality of life. For me it is when they are dependant on someone 24 hrs aday. Im certainly not saying everyone should be put to sleep but id like it to be an option for those that want it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I believe in it, albeit, governed by very tight legal controls.

In the UK we don't have the best track record of looking after our elderly ( in my opinion )

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

complicated topic. there is no black and white on this one. but if they can get this sorted in switzerland we need to move on and adopt this in all civilised countries.

By *ornyHousewife 68Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Been discussing this lately, hubby's gran passed away last week, she was suffering towards the end and wasn't nice to see.

Whilst in hospital for last two weeks, the women in beds either side both had advanced dementia, you wouldn't let a dog live like that, I'll never understand why our loved ones have to continue living and suffering

Surely if their quality of life is diminished to the extent of tony mickilson,and,this has gotta be a deciding factor,they are of sound enough mind to make the decision themselves then should it not be allowed?

what i never get is if you had a dog that had cancer (just an example) and you let ifs suffering drag on till the end you'd probably be reported to the RSPCA and at the very least seen as selfish and not putting the animals need first

Yet we're allowed to do this to human

"what i never get is if you had a dog that had cancer (just an example) and you let ifs suffering drag on till the end you'd probably be reported to the RSPCA and at the very least seen as selfish and not putting the animals need first

Yet we're allowed to do this to human "

This is incredibly difficult, but the main reason it won't be introduced is the danger of abuse. People who want rid of elderly members of the family for instance.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"This is incredibly difficult, but the main reason it won't be introduced is the danger of abuse. People who want rid of elderly members of the family for instance."

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"This is incredibly difficult, but the main reason it won't be introduced is the danger of abuse. People who want rid of elderly members of the family for instance."

But its not just the elderly that become terminally ill, its across the board that some people dont have any quality of life. Obviously it would have to be well thought out so you cant just go bumping people off

but its not about other people wanting it, its about the person dying wanting it, if someone wants to get rid of a elderly relative but the elderly relative in question says no you dont do it

Most people who want euthanasia will request this well before they get to the point they are to ill to ask for themselves

that's why the person being euthanised would have to be sound enough in mind to make the decision themselves

Yes as I said open to abuse. People that are saying they want to die may well be persuaded and forced into it. They could be brainwashed enough to believe they want to die.

I only believe in voluntary euthanasia unless a person has made a very specific living will.

You'd be surprised how many people are helped to die already though, but then the families have to just live with the fact they have helped people along. Palliative care does do alot in terms of dosing people up to the point where they can slip away. It's not done explicitly though.

"what i never get is if you had a dog that had cancer (just an example) and you let ifs suffering drag on till the end you'd probably be reported to the RSPCA and at the very least seen as selfish and not putting the animals need first

I think it should be up to the individual. Not fair to have to suffer.

Yet we're allowed to do this to human

I think it should be up to the individual. Not fair to have to suffer. "

Too true but you will always get some arsey bastard who relishes telling someone else how they should or shouldn't live their life.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I am very clear that I would want to take a 'peaceful pill' and all of my family know this. Just as I know their wishes.

An advanced directive helps, especially when made in sound mind. But it's not foolproof either way. You may make a directive and your nearest and dearest may think you are far enough gone to use it but you may not have reached that exact point yet.

I have watched a lot of people die, with horrendously dibilitating, degenerative illnesses and there is a point when you know they want it to end and can't fight anymore. That's where the 'good' palliative care nurses come into their own. My family and I have been grateful for it and I am sure the people they have helped were also grateful.

Dementia is a strange one though. When my mother was going through a really terrible phase and she could still recognise what was happening to her she asked to die. Deeply religious, suicide is sin as far as she is concerned, she wanted to kill herself. Then the disease progressed and she didn't know where she was, who she was, who we were and it's horrible to watch. But she is now back to the recognising us phase, albeit temporarily, and feels desperately unhappy. She has days when she relatively content. When is the right point?

I fully support dignity in dying and would welcome legal euthanasia in this country but I would not want it rushed through. We need to have an adult debate about it and we are only just getting to that point.

By *ue care and attentionWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

If Human Rights legislation gives us the right to a private life, why not the right to a dignified end? Surely both a freedom of choice?

very interesting question (which makes me wish i was on a pc rather than a phone).

I tthink that the vital question is the difference between Voluntary and involuntary euthenasia.

i dont realy have an issue with either tbh bht I do spare thoughts for the medical staff who get into the profesion to save life and may then be asked to end life against their ethics.....

I think Jehovas Witnesses are silly for not accepting many medical treatments (as well as for a whole host of other reasons) but they rarely havee to deal with being kept alive on an intubater.....

By *bfoxxxMan  over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

Ironic isn't it ? He was able to refuse food and they didn't force feed him, yet they have been force feeding Ian Brady for 15 yrs.

I think if you want to go, you should be allowed to. I wouldnt want to be like some vegetable, being kept alive.

all for it , if they want to die let them . Its their choie their lives , if they sane and have made an informed decision then yeah i dont see a problem .

i am clear in my mind about this.

it is my life and i do what i want with it because i am single.

if i had a partner and children i would lead a different life and not do the things i currently do.

as i am single if my health starts to go and i am warned that i will need constant care i will never let it get to that point.

but if i was with someone then they are a part of the decision process and i would have to sit down and talk about it with her.

and talk about everything, the kids, her,what she wants,how she will cope etc.

it is a serious major decision to give up your life to look after someone else.

i wouldn't like someone i loved to stay with me and watch me suffer. i'd want her to go and be happy with someone else unless she wanted to stay and stand by me.

never easy.its not meant to be and my heart goes out to anyone who has to face the heartbreak of seeing the person they love fade away.

I have ms and although at the moment have still got a decent amount of mobility I do have a lot of pain and fatigue. I have told my family that if It ever gets to a time were I don't have any quality of life thn I want to be able to die with dignity

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

With appropriate controls, then if someone wants assistance to end their lives, due to understandable reasons, and them having faculties to be able to take a reasonable decision, then it should be available.

We have our own bodies and lives, and we should be allowed full legal control over them.

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"

I think Jehovas Witnesses are silly for not accepting many medical treatments (as well as for a whole host of other reasons) but they rarely havee to deal with being kept alive on an intubater....."

You do not have to be a Jehovah witness to refuse medical treatment, anybody has the right to do so. But I can't see the link to being kept alive and refusal to accept medical treatment.

As for Euthanasia, I like many posting support it in theory wholeheartedly. We can learn from other countries who are well advanced when it comes to assisted death, where the prognosis is death and there is no means to prevent that happening.

I (H) lost my mum last wednesday after she was taken ill on the sunday, she was hooked up to every drip you can imagine and in the end it was only the adrenalin they kept constantly pumping into her that was keeping her alive along with the oxygen, the hospital did everything in their power right until the last minute to keep her here with us, but i was told they had put a do not resussitate on her on the monday morning which i totally agreed with.

I am a firm believer in a persons right to die in the right circumstances and truly believe that had my mum pulled through she would have had no quality of life so it was better to let her slip away, it does'nt make the pain any less for me or mean i would'nt prefer her here with us, but i know she is at peace

I would like to be able to choose when to end my life, and if required, ask someone to help me succeed, without him/her being prosecuted.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I (H) lost my mum last wednesday after she was taken ill on the sunday, she was hooked up to every drip you can imagine and in the end it was only the adrenalin they kept constantly pumping into her that was keeping her alive along with the oxygen, the hospital did everything in their power right until the last minute to keep her here with us, but i was told they had put a do not resussitate on her on the monday morning which i totally agreed with.

I am a firm believer in a persons right to die in the right circumstances and truly believe that had my mum pulled through she would have had no quality of life so it was better to let her slip away, it does'nt make the pain any less for me or mean i would'nt prefer her here with us, but i know she is at peace "

I am sorry to hear of your loss. The manner of passing does not affect one's grieving. Loss is loss. Thank you for sharing that.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

When I saw that poor man's face, crying, distraught and desperate when he lost his case I couldn't not agree that it would have been right for him (Tony Nicklinson) to be assisted in his death.

It's a huge responsibility to make that call though, not like you can fix it later if you have second thoughts.

Overall I think it's right in very exceptional cases. But I wouldn't like to be the one deciding.

"complicated topic. there is no black and white on this one. but if they can get this sorted in switzerland we need to move on and adopt this in all civilised countries. "

Whose to say Switzerland has got it right?

uneducated question here so dont jump down my throat lol

I believe people should be able to choose themselves.

My father developed a brain disease a few years ago (PSP )

it was highlighted in a drama, where Julie Walters played a lady with this terrible disease. She did go ahead with euthanasia .

My day really suffered , it was like caring for a child over again was very sad to see him this way. His brain worked fine but communication was getting worse by the day. He didn't

want to live, given the choice i know he would have choose euthanasia . One day we just found him dead, the condition didn't kill him and there was no apparent cause. If euthanasia was legal so much torment and suffering could have been avoided.

My mum had a severe brain hermarage nearly two years ago and was given her last rights etc. However she pulled through. I wanted her to go into her to go into home, knowing that she would die quickly, howver my sister and dad wanted her home, constantly telling her she would get better. Knowing full well that she had over 65/80% brain damage that would never repair itself. She is a nearly a vegatble cant do anything, has total care and suffers daily. She cant express herself or anything. I hate it. She has no quality of life and I Know she wants to die. The family want her to live thinking its best she is alive than dead. her feelings dont come into it.

There is no love loss between my mum and me and only this year did she manage to show a tiny bit of affection by placing her hand eventually on my face. Even though it was 43yrs too late and I was so extremely angry with her. I just wish my family would let her die as I do hate seeing her like it. I want to give her all the bad news that has happened hoping she would have another stroke or heart attack but i have to adhere to the family.

I hope and pray all the time for her to pass so she would not be in pain anymore.

I believe in the right for people to die with dignity as the worse thing is to see them suffer. Its cruel not to.

By *adcowWoman  over a year ago

kirkcaldy

I personally agree with it as long as the strict rules (such as those used in Switzerland etc) are followed. These help reduce the risks of family members abusing the system for financial gain. Again as some have said it is about quality of life not prolonging life at all costs. I for one know I would rather slip away in my sleep than life a life of excruciating pain and unable to speak or do anything for myself- even committing suicide as can't take the medicines myself.

So so many different situations but at the end of the day I believe it is down to the individual and only the individual to make the decision as it is THEIR body and no one elses.My mother was kept alive by drugs for many years after open heart surgery and wasnt expected to live, after many years her quality of life was reduced to not how she wanted to live so she instructed the medical team she wanted no more drugs,within 24 hours she passed away peacefully.

» Add a new message to this topic