FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Uninterested GPs

Uninterested GPs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aitonel OP   Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

Why is it I always end up being seen by the Locum Doctors that barely seem interested?

Are the Locum because they have no bedside manner, or have none because they are Locum?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’m incredibly frustrated with my GP at the moment. The hospital have been amazing and prescribe me what I need. The GP then refuses to prescribe it or only prescribe me a weeks worth etc. I’ve never really had to deal with Drs for my own health until this pregnancy but gosh they are totally shit. I’m so glad I’m consultant lead rather than being left to the incompetent community team

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr southend

I know What you mean I am looking to change surgery as the one i am at ONLY has locum doctors and they are both crap, o we of them believes that all mental health meds are poison and shouldn't be taken

I think it's because they don't need to build rapport with patients as next time it won't be them and so they don't need to make an effort. Shoddy

Liverpool

"I know What you mean I am looking to change surgery as the one i am at ONLY has locum doctors and they are both crap, o we of them believes that all mental health meds are poison and shouldn't be taken "

I'm going to start requesting certain doctors. As the main 4 are great, but th Locums... I think I have had 2 thst were lovely. Helpful and seemed interested.

If you aren't happy certainly get yourself a new place if it's an option to do so. A good doctor is critical, especially bedside manner since they can reassure you about so many things and you feel better with advice they give.

By *lirtymr_mrsCouple  over a year ago

Stockton-on-Tees

" The GP then refuses to prescribe it or only prescribe me a weeks worth etc. "

I had this, complained to the CQC now I get 6 weeks medication at a time not 3 weeks... Still isn't the 3 months my last GP provided but at least the pharmacist isn't having to open the pack up and split it in half any more (doctor was prescribing 28 tablets of something that comes in packs of 56 because their practice policy was no more than 28days of meds on a prescription).

The CQC were really helpful in cutting through the BS. Doctor point blank refused to change their policy when talking to me, single phone call from CQC fixed the problem.

GP are a law unto themselves, sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not.

Liverpool

"I think it's because they don't need to build rapport with patients as next time it won't be them and so they don't need to make an effort. Shoddy "

That's a good point actually. As I just said above I have had 2 locums that have been great, and whenever the rare chance to see them the regular doctors are great too.

Rest of the time it's the grumpy ones, as you say just not looking to be around long enough.

There's a massive staffing issue in the NHS at the moment. Most senior GPs and staff have been redeployed to other area's through covid. I know it's frustrating but it's not their fault, cut them a little slack.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I was fucking a locum GP who confessed he was a "lazy boy".

I'm guessing they aren't going to be sticking around so they just go through the motions.

I dunno though (shrugs)

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I'll be honest and say the GP surgery I've been registered with for the last 17 years I really couldn't fault whether that be the GPs (locums or regulars), nurses, reception staff - always tried to fit me in, took an interest in whatever I was there for, and appropriate action.

Have recently changed to a new one, and if they're half as good as my last I'll be happy.

I guess from the locums perspective they don't have the familiarity and knowledge of the patients that a regular staff member might and that could lead them to appear disinterested even if they're not.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"There's a massive staffing issue in the NHS at the moment. Most senior GPs and staff have been redeployed to other area's through covid. I know it's frustrating but it's not their fault, cut them a little slack."

I agree ….. I work with GPS all the time. It’s not always that they don’t care, most of the time they just haven’t got the time to attend to every patient. The whole NHS is at breaking point. Thank your lucky stars we have a service free at the point of delivery.

GP practices that dispense their own medication are paid for a 28 day prescription because that’s the rule of thumb. A polite chat with dispensary staff would soon resolve your issue. Pharmacy dispensed prescriptions are an entirely different ball game. Neither service is a charity and both have to cover their costs!

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

To be fair there are plenty of doctors who don’t have a good bedside manner.

By *offiaCoolWoman  over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I’m incredibly frustrated with my GP at the moment. The hospital have been amazing and prescribe me what I need. The GP then refuses to prescribe it or only prescribe me a weeks worth etc. I’ve never really had to deal with Drs for my own health until this pregnancy but gosh they are totally shit. I’m so glad I’m consultant lead rather than being left to the incompetent community team "

I'm having the opposite problem. The hospital do anything they can to avoid consultations and throw blood tests and prescribing back to my GP.

Oddly enough, I have just mailed my surgery thanking them for their recent telephone consultations and their support.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I’m incredibly frustrated with my GP at the moment. The hospital have been amazing and prescribe me what I need. The GP then refuses to prescribe it or only prescribe me a weeks worth etc. I’ve never really had to deal with Drs for my own health until this pregnancy but gosh they are totally shit. I’m so glad I’m consultant lead rather than being left to the incompetent community team

I'm having the opposite problem. The hospital do anything they can to avoid consultations and throw blood tests and prescribing back to my GP.

Oddly enough, I have just mailed my surgery thanking them for their recent telephone consultations and their support."

Which they will greatly appreciate - that rarely happens!

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I can’t fault my surgery or GPS and the last two I’ve seen have been locums. In my opinion, they have been over eager - a 45 minute appointment, followed by 3 phone calls and 2 texts all within a 48 hour time period.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

It's a bit odd people are blaming covid for a breakdown in service - if anything covid has helped as they can deal with you by email or chat.

My practice before covid had a a 7 week wait for an appointment - physical or by tel, that is if their systems allowed that amount of forward booking, otherwise you were advised nothing for 2 months. Simply getting through reception was a 10-15 minute q&a where only a heart condition meant it was urgent.

Covid has meant issues receive either a phone call on day by my own GP, or at minimum email response.

Liverpool

"There's a massive staffing issue in the NHS at the moment. Most senior GPs and staff have been redeployed to other area's through covid. I know it's frustrating but it's not their fault, cut them a little slack."
Cut who some slack? The Locums? What's their excuse to be uninterested and miserable with patients for the past 20 years or so?

Liverpool

As I said the regular staff have been brilliant. Always have been through the years. It's always the Locums (2 exceptions) that have given little interest in what I'm telling them and rushed me out the door. Not just during covid.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I want to know why there is a repeated message that says, "Our busiest times are between 8 and 9am, if you have non life threating enquiry, then you may wish to call back later", then after you have finally manged to get a ringtone and are number 7,658 in the queue, and have to put your phone on charge again, they say, "Go to the walk in centre"..

Do these people that get through at 8am have a magic phone or something?

By *lirtymr_mrsCouple  over a year ago

Stockton-on-Tees

"GP practices that dispense their own medication are paid for a 28 day prescription because that’s the rule of thumb. A polite chat with dispensary staff would soon resolve your issue. Pharmacy dispensed prescriptions are an entirely different ball game. Neither service is a charity and both have to cover their costs! "

A polite chat with the pharmacy yielded the response that everyone is treated the same and I should stop asking to be special. Hence having a chat with CQC, would have been easier if they just applied common sense in the first place (if I have been taking the medication for 10 years and live 5 miles from the doctors, perhaps common sense would trust me with a longer prescription, as was the case at my previous doctors).

Correct that they are not a charity, GP's are often private businesses that bill the NHS for a profit... And the NHS is funded from taxation not some magic wishing tree, which makes me the customer, all be it indirectly, so it's not unreasonable to expect a basic standard of service and courtesy.

Interestingly COvid has improved both the telephone manner and pragmatism of our GP staff and greatly reduced waiting times for consultations, shame it took a pandemic for them to up their game and modernise their business to better meet customer needs.

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Best GP I ever had was a locum. He took me seriously and got me the treatment and referrals I needed when none of the other staff at that practice would. I was disappointed when he moved on again, but not when then the practice closed down.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

I went to see GP on Monday, made me feel like I was wasting his time. I have a lump growing in my lower abdomen and he just said to wait a couple of weeks to see if it goes or gets worse. I never go to docs unless I'm really worried and this is first time in a few years

"There's a massive staffing issue in the NHS at the moment. Most senior GPs and staff have been redeployed to other area's through covid. I know it's frustrating but it's not their fault, cut them a little slack.

I agree ….. I work with GPS all the time. It’s not always that they don’t care, most of the time they just haven’t got the time to attend to every patient. The whole NHS is at breaking point. Thank your lucky stars we have a service free at the point of delivery.

GP practices that dispense their own medication are paid for a 28 day prescription because that’s the rule of thumb. A polite chat with dispensary staff would soon resolve your issue. Pharmacy dispensed prescriptions are an entirely different ball game. Neither service is a charity and both have to cover their costs! "

I agree! I work for a healthcare charity that runs cancer units in NHS hospital and the amount of pressure both doctors and nurses are under is immense. It was bad before but COVID has left them even more understaffed. We actually leant some of our nurses to the NHS when COVID hit!

"I went to see GP on Monday, made me feel like I was wasting his time. I have a lump growing in my lower abdomen and he just said to wait a couple of weeks to see if it goes or gets worse. I never go to docs unless I'm really worried and this is first time in a few years "

As someone who works for a cancer charity please, please get a second opinion or harass your GP to get tested! It’s probably nothing but always best to check. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people I know who had to harass and harass to get tested. Bearing in mind that we look after 13-24 year olds.

Port talbot

"I went to see GP on Monday, made me feel like I was wasting his time. I have a lump growing in my lower abdomen and he just said to wait a couple of weeks to see if it goes or gets worse. I never go to docs unless I'm really worried and this is first time in a few years

As someone who works for a cancer charity please, please get a second opinion or harass your GP to get tested! It’s probably nothing but always best to check. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people I know who had to harass and harass to get tested. Bearing in mind that we look after 13-24 year olds."

I'm going to call again next week a request to see a different doctor, my mum was seen by same one in the past and wasn't until she went to someone else they found out she had major problems.

Something definitely isn't right down there, I know my body

"There's a massive staffing issue in the NHS at the moment. Most senior GPs and staff have been redeployed to other area's through covid. I know it's frustrating but it's not their fault, cut them a little slack. Cut who some slack? The Locums? What's their excuse to be uninterested and miserable with patients for the past 20 years or so? "

Maybe you would be miserable too if you saw the pressures we face everyday. My job has broke me down to nothing the past year or so, unless you work in the NHS you don't understand. Even the most caring of folk can reach their breaking point and once that has passed it's hard to have the same love for a job you did before.

"I went to see GP on Monday, made me feel like I was wasting his time. I have a lump growing in my lower abdomen and he just said to wait a couple of weeks to see if it goes or gets worse. I never go to docs unless I'm really worried and this is first time in a few years

As someone who works for a cancer charity please, please get a second opinion or harass your GP to get tested! It’s probably nothing but always best to check. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people I know who had to harass and harass to get tested. Bearing in mind that we look after 13-24 year olds.

I'm going to call again next week a request to see a different doctor, my mum was seen by same one in the past and wasn't until she went to someone else they found out she had major problems.

Something definitely isn't right down there, I know my body "

So glad to hear that, so many people are avoiding contacting GPs at the moment. Predicted that half a million people with symptoms that could be cancer have not been tested since COVID. I did a whole campaign last year pleading people not to ignore the symptoms. A cause close to my heart so I’m relieved

"There's a massive staffing issue in the NHS at the moment. Most senior GPs and staff have been redeployed to other area's through covid. I know it's frustrating but it's not their fault, cut them a little slack. Cut who some slack? The Locums? What's their excuse to be uninterested and miserable with patients for the past 20 years or so?

Maybe you would be miserable too if you saw the pressures we face everyday. My job has broke me down to nothing the past year or so, unless you work in the NHS you don't understand. Even the most caring of folk can reach their breaking point and once that has passed it's hard to have the same love for a job you did before."

Just know that I and many many others truly appreciate the work you do. I see the difference people like you make to the lives of others.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Until the last few years, I have rarely needed any medical attention, apart from during pregnancy 25 years ago.

My GP and the hospital have been great and after a lot of trial and error, my thyroid and menopausal symptoms are both under control.

national shortage of drs is the problem

I've changed surgery because my GP practice had rude staff, I complained and found it impossible to get appointments.

My new surgery has been outstanding. After surgery last year my GP realised that the pain killers I had been given were about to become a problem so he called me and suggested I do a weekly drop. I had no problem with this and asked if I could just stop. He said " god no I don't want to make you suffer" a few weeks later I just have the occasional paracetamol.

The local surgery is so bad my partner has had to go to a private doctor at costs of APPX £1500 (still waiting for bill) for testing what should be the norm for someone with an underactive thyroid. When I tried to get her an appointment I was told to call NHS 111. They, and many other surgeries across the country, are using covid to hide there own bad service. Because of this the wrong dose of meds has been given and health has had some major effects. So possible legal action for medical negligence may follow.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"Best GP I ever had was a locum. He took me seriously and got me the treatment and referrals I needed when none of the other staff at that practice would. I was disappointed when he moved on again, but not when then the practice closed down."

Best help I ever had was from an asthma nurse, she listened to me, as I had spent 38 years being treated for exercised induced asthma.

Thing is I had always been non responsive to the rainbow selection of inhalers and Montelukast. So being a cyclist I downloaded my 4th place KOM metrics from STRAVA, my peak flow meter readings seconds after that HIIT effort and explained that I wanteed to go on the tread mill and get a nosepeg/face mask test.

She obliged, I got the tests, not on the tread mill though

I have now been diagnosed with the following

Dust allergy

Deviated septum (had surgery lost 50% of my sense of smell)

Acollapsing right nostril (Think La Toyah Jackson)

Long term heart burn aka GERD

And Dysfunctional breathing, caused by the above (I breathe too fast and too shallow at rest)

Why did it take this long for the Nhs to listen to me, I've been taking drugs that weren't meant for me, all because they wouldn't heed my request.

So as you can see GPS may now what they know, pharmacists know their stock: but paitients know their symptoms.

Doctors hate TV med programmes, but programmes like House do teach you to link unconnected things together and come up with a holistic answer, if not a cure.

No wonder the system is faulty and underfunded.

I knew something was wrong, but I never knew what else it could be: I've never been to uni and studdied medicine, so what's their excuse?

Port talbot

So glad to hear that, so many people are avoiding contacting GPs at the moment. Predicted that half a million people with symptoms that could be cancer have not been tested since COVID. I did a whole campaign last year pleading people not to ignore the symptoms. A cause close to my heart so I’m relieved "

I waited a few weeks before booking appointment, I don't like going as always feel someone else needs appointment more

Peterborough

So glad to hear that, so many people are avoiding contacting GPs at the moment. Predicted that half a million people with symptoms that could be cancer have not been tested since COVID. I did a whole campaign last year pleading people not to ignore the symptoms. A cause close to my heart so I’m relieved

I waited a few weeks before booking appointment, I don't like going as always feel someone else needs appointment more "

You need it, so take it: just don't waste it.

I waited a few weeks before booking appointment, I don't like going as always feel someone else needs appointment more "

It’s just so British so many people think like that but the important thing is that you are getting checked

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Why is it I always end up being seen by the Locum Doctors that barely seem interested?

Are the Locum because they have no bedside manner, or have none because they are Locum?"

I had a locum dr in our one and she was boss.

She was only young,prob just qualified, but she was dead keen and friendly and didnt just fob you off.

She was fit aswell.

Was gutted when she left.

verble is not good enough if your going to complain then you need a paper trail .. ask for a copy of the surgery's complaints procedure and use google too no dr likes a complaint if its down on paper ... i deal with drs every day with my job another thing they dont like is asking for a second opinion ... those that dont shout or complain get nowhere

remember drs are there to serve you not themselves

Peterborough

"verble is not good enough if your going to complain then you need a paper trail .. ask for a copy of the surgery's complaints procedure and use google too no dr likes a complaint if its down on paper ... i deal with drs every day with my job another thing they dont like is asking for a second opinion ... those that dont shout or complain get nowhere

remember drs are there to serve you not themselves"

If you shout: they will accuse you of being agressive and go on the offensive in a heartbeat. I had that this week.

Stop employing receptionists who are hard of hearing.

» Add a new message to this topic