FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Not really sure what to call this thread lol..

Not really sure what to call this thread lol..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Only a small percentage of the people of the members of Fab's use the forums.

So when you post and ask for opinions or _iews on things to do you take what the majority _iew as gospel or do you take into consideration that a lot of posters do tend to be regular contributors therefore have seen the subjects raised several times and so have perhaps automatic _iews on various situations?

If you've seen 12 threads on the same subject do you tend to post your own opinions or is it just perhaps easier to follow others opinions to avoid conflict of interests?

Would you rather not post than post that you disagree with something so that it looks like a thread is all filled with opinions of the same _iew?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I always post my own opinions, some times the masses will agree sometimes i will be in the minority. Im not a sycophant as you can guess. There is however many people who read the forums and dont post, i do get quite a few pms from people that dont post things on the forums.

There are some people whose _iews i tend to agree with quite a lot of the time, some depends on the actual thread and some i will never agree with. But some mistake disagreeing with not liking a person

ok im pants with words maybe.. here's like an example of what im meaning

1000 people all listen to 5 songs, only 10% (100 people) buy one of the songs to determine that song number 2 was the best so it goes to the number 1 spot for that week

but infact if everyone had a free vote so to speak on which they song they thought was the best it could turn out with a completely different result, but we could only base the result from those who contributed and purchased the song.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

When I create a new thread I am essentially curious about everybody's _iews, no matter how far apart they are and in fact diversity and humour help to create an interesting thread.

When I respond to a post I say what I feel about the subject matter and I am not worried about this being in line with other people's _iews as each to their own.

"ok im pants with words maybe.. here's like an example of what im meaning

1000 people all listen to 5 songs, only 10% (100 people) buy one of the songs to determine that song number 2 was the best so it goes to the number 1 spot for that week

but infact if everyone had a free vote so to speak on which they song they thought was the best it could turn out with a completely different result, but we could only base the result from those who contributed and purchased the song. "

But that is the case for everything, when they say 9/10 cats prefer whatever brand they dont mean in the country but out of the ones they inter_iewed.

For my socialogy A level i had to conduct a survey i based it on 50 people. I got 94% and lost my other marks on the fact that i didnt say how many people i surveyed i still kick myself now.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

if i have an opinion i will say it i'm not gonna hide it isnt our opinion what makes us different from everybody else?

"But some mistake disagreeing with not liking a person"
That is such a good point!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

When I reply to a post it's always my own opinion (except when I'm being blatantly facetious or sarcastic).

But it is often filtered and tempered by various things:

if it's a newbie posting something we've heard before I try to answer in a considered manner - we were all new once

If a few people have already said just what I think I often don't bother.

If someone is wilfully posting the same lam threads then I may let rip - especially if I have laboriously typed a considered reply to the first thread!

And some contentious threads I steer clear of, its too easy to be misread and if it's a big issue then I want to be clearly understood or I'll keep stum.

And if it's one of Bussys threads (or a few others) then I feel free to be silly or sarky or hijack

I just remember reading a thread on people who play with their children at home and it came across that it was a massive no no (admittedly i agree with that _iew) from the majority

but in chat room its all talked about openly between users and it was like no one batted an eyelid or even questioned it.

So was just wondering what other subjects given a different selection of users to answer would be changed completely.. i love the variety the forums bring and the new input from the new posters.

"When I reply to a post it's always my own opinion (except when I'm being blatantly facetious or sarcastic).

But it is often filtered and tempered by various things:

if it's a newbie posting something we've heard before I try to answer in a considered manner - we were all new once

If a few people have already said just what I think I often don't bother.

If someone is wilfully posting the same lam threads then I may let rip - especially if I have laboriously typed a considered reply to the first thread!

And some contentious threads I steer clear of, its too easy to be misread and if it's a big issue then I want to be clearly understood or I'll keep stum.

And if it's one of Bussys threads (or a few others) then I feel free to be silly or sarky or hijack "

Thats another great point - if I notice a newbie I will be as gentle as possible and encourage them to post more. If it is somebody I know well and have had banter before I might be less "considerate" and continue with banter. Either way, when I have an opinion on something and I dont always do... I post this opinion as and when I think appropriate. As for Bussy's threads.....

and Blonde Caz' .... and KTFP's.....

"I just remember reading a thread on people who play with their children at home and it came across that it was a massive no no (admittedly i agree with that _iew) from the majority

but in chat room its all talked about openly between users and it was like no one batted an eyelid or even questioned it.

So was just wondering what other subjects given a different selection of users to answer would be changed completely.. i love the variety the forums bring and the new input from the new posters."

Every subject would have a different outcome, its all relative. If you asked 20 people on a run down council estate if they owned a dish washer the majority would probably say no. If you asked the same question to a group of middle class people you would get a different answer. Depending whose on the forums will depend on the answers you get.

"When I create a new thread I am essentially curious about everybody's _iews, no matter how far apart they are and in fact diversity and humour help to create an interesting thread.

When I respond to a post I say what I feel about the subject matter and I am not worried about this being in line with other people's _iews as each to their own. "

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"

Thats another great point - if I notice a newbie I will be as gentle as possible and encourage them to post more. If it is somebody I know well and have had banter before I might be less "considerate" and continue with banter. Either way, when I have an opinion on something and I dont always do... I post this opinion as and when I think appropriate. As for Bussy's threads.....

and Blonde Caz' .... and KTFP's....."

One of these days, I'm going to start a serious thread and surprise the lot of you......can I just add MarquisdeHappy's threads to the hijack/sarky/whooshes over some peoples head's list (it's often worth reading the entire thread, as he's caught a few out now and again)

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

"When I create a new thread I am essentially curious about everybody's _iews, no matter how far apart they are and in fact diversity and humour help to create an interesting thread.

When I respond to a post I say what I feel about the subject matter and I am not worried about this being in line with other people's _iews as each to their own. "

I agree.. the questions I ask are to find out peoples opinions and promote discussion. I have pretty strong _iews and tend to post them.. hence the norty step on occasion but I mean no malice .

Democracy is great word to describe free speech in our society, so with us lead to believe it is in place, we are free to voice our opinions, even if we do contradict ourselves sometimes, i'd rather people have an opinion than sit on the fence i think thats just pure laziness! plus asking people what they think about situations always opens my mind to different _iew points!! so i'd be happy to _iew every new post as an original post!

got to remember that a site like this which is free a lot of people join it and do not look at the past forum topics.

so they post a new one on similar lines, not there fault they are new and want to find things out.

sometimes linking them to a past discussion helps and also sending them a message directly.

new people we welcome as its better for us all.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I post as honest as I can, I upset at times but hey ho that's life.

I avoid threads for many reasons, if I don't believe them, think there is an agenda with them or if I believe it will be a love in ( nowt wrong with them ).

all in all though, I think it is still good fun

I post whatever my _iews are. I don't follow friends around the forum agreeing with everything they say and I don't kiss ass to people either.

I don't like to see people being picked on and I'm not afriad to challenge it on a thread. I sometimes do feel that some people won't challenge those who perhaps come across as having very strong _iews. I find that strange given that its only a forum and hardly important.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I spent the day being silly and hi-jacking so have only just seen this.

Some of my responses reflect the mood that I am in. Some, the intensification of polarised opinions mean I get more strident in my response.

There is a paper that sets out a case that 10% of opinions creates the tipping point and you can change _iews, votes and behaviouur just by getting 10% to support it. Look up Minority Rules - Tipping Point (I think, read it ages ago).

Now, the forum may only represent 10% of Fab users so the ratio is not high enough to get a representative perspective of Fab users. But, 10% of the 10% may tip the _iews of the other 90% on the forum.

I have never been a sheep, and am not going to start now at my old age.

But surely whilst reserving the right to change your opinion it’s best to speak your own mind without telling others what to think!

Doh,,,,,,I know what I meant !!!!!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"But surely whilst reserving the right to change your opinion it’s best to speak your own mind without telling others what to think!

Doh,,,,,,I know what I meant !!!!! "

Actually, I think that is a fantastic point and exactly what happens. You know what you meant but forum posts are not always the easiest or most expressive way of conveying that.

We've all seen threads where the OP responds to every post with 'none of you understand what I mean' when they _iew the different opinions as not supporting their point or going off on a tangent.

"But surely whilst reserving the right to change your opinion it’s best to speak your own mind without telling others what to think!

Doh,,,,,,I know what I meant !!!!!

Actually, I think that is a fantastic point and exactly what happens. You know what you meant but forum posts are not always the easiest or most expressive way of conveying that.

We've all seen threads where the OP responds to every post with 'none of you understand what I mean' when they _iew the different opinions as not supporting their point or going off on a tangent."

For me the beauty of forums is when people willingly engage in free thought exchange rather than attempt to gain positions of intellectual dominance

"

Every subject would have a different outcome, its all relative. If you asked 20 people on a run down council estate if they owned a dish washer the majority would probably say no. If you asked the same question to a group of middle class people you would get a different answer. Depending whose on the forums will depend on the answers you get."

Statistics are brilliant, you can make them prove anything. It totally depends on the sample and where it's taken from. Such as the example with chat people all thinking one thing and forum people all thinking another. And also which forum people respond to the thread. And what moods people are in- if everyone is in a foul mood that day it can turn a thread more sour than if everyone was in a good mood.

I post if I feel strongly about something, or if I'm feeling cheeky or bored or whatever really. Some thread types I always avoid as they just aren't my thing.

» Add a new message to this topic