FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Understated Elegance

Understated Elegance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What does it mean to you?

To me, it means someone who appreciate quality when he/she sees it, not into displaying labels yet appreciate a good design when he/she sees it.

Often they would have items made to their exact requirements rather than to buy off the peg.

They wear labels, however, they do not let the labels wear them.

They smell divine only when up close and personal.

Jewellery are small and discreet, made of the finest materials, not brash or showy like Elton John or Liberace.

Always well groomed and polished.

Tom Ford and David Furnish springs to mind, and they are lush.

Someone else springs to mind too, however, I can't name him or he may slap me!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I believe, elegance and class, are something you grow to be. For me its the way someone carries themselves, behaves in public ect. I dont think it is necessarily to do with clothers all though its obvious by the cut of shirt or suit. But two people coud be wearing the same outfits yet one would look elegant and one wouldnt, it is aslo down to subtleness as well

I know what you mean, just need to look at the sharp-suited footballers - a lot of them look awkward in suits and do not know how to carry themselves!

Just look at Elton John, with all that money and stylists, he let the clothes and accessories wear him and not the other way round.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

labels always on the inside.

1 or 2 pieces of great jewellery rather than 100 of pieces of not so good.

classics.

I kept drooling at your rings over dinner, did you notice?

By *ue care and attentionWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

Bugger, I better take my Primani leggins and bangles back then!

By *ue care and attentionWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

"I kept drooling at your rings over dinner, did you notice? "

Damn! better put my glasses on before I mis read anything else!

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I don't believe the price of clothes really matters. More the way they are worn

"I kept drooling at your rings over dinner, did you notice?

Damn! better put my glasses on before I mis read anything else! "

Naughty girl!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

To me elegance comes from within, strip a person naked and if they have it it will still shine through.

i look good in anything

Forum Mod

"To me elegance comes from within, strip a person naked and if they have it it will still shine through. "

I agree with this and i also think it has nothing to do with cost its how you wear whatever it is you choose to wear, some people just have it and others can try as hard as they like but never carry it off regardless

"To me elegance comes from within, strip a person naked and if they have it it will still shine through. "

Need an apple in the mouth though!

Elegance and class are nothing to do with clothes or money.

Look at the difference between Princess Diana and Sarah Ferguson. Both high members of the Royal Family, both with wealth and privileges of private schooling. One a lady in the true sense of the word, the other a chav.

In celebrity land a lady who exudes elegance, charm and sophistication for me is Dita Von Teese. Burlesque stripper no less, a woman who takes her clothes off in public, but is pure class. Again offset against Katie Price or Kerry Katona, there is no comparison.

I do not believe people who are colourful dressers are necessarily not classy. I see that as flamboyance and unique. Elton John, who has been quoted here, is a very colourful flamboyant character, I wouldn't say he wasn't classy. He doesn't seem to be falling out of nightclubs every week d*unk, that to me is trashy and common.

Vivienne Westwood is a classy lady, a pioneer of fashion, very flamboyant in style, it works.

To me your behaviour separates you from being classy, not necessary your clothes or style. If you are common, act in a rough and ready manner, swearing all the time, drinking, shouting out brash comments, being vulgar, is what makes you trashy rather than classy.

I do agree with the OP about labels and appreciating good quality. I would rather have one piece of good jewellery than 20 pieces of tack. A woman said to me last night that she liked my silver key pendant and asked where I bought it from. I explained it was a Tiffany key and chain. She asked the price and I told her. She said no way would I pay that for silver when you can get a nice solid gold chain from Samuels much cheaper. But like everything in life, do what you like, behave how you like, but don't try and be like someone else or copy because you can't really cover what deep down you really are. Be proud of the person you are

I would not buy from Tiffany, or Miki, or any other branded jewellery for the sake of the brand.

"I would not buy from Tiffany, or Miki, or any other branded jewellery for the sake of the brand. "

yeh but if you liked it and it happened to be a brand you would

"I would not buy from Tiffany, or Miki, or any other branded jewellery for the sake of the brand.

yeh but if you liked it and it happened to be a brand you would "

No, I am more likely to commission something similar to be made for a lot less.

"I would not buy from Tiffany, or Miki, or any other branded jewellery for the sake of the brand.

No, I am more likely to commission something similar to be made for a lot less. "

wouldnt be the same tho

No, I am more likely to commission something similar to be made for a lot less.

wouldnt be the same tho "

It will be to my specification and design, therefore, unique to me.

well me personally if i see something i like ill buy it regardless of brand name

I personally wouldn't as its not just down to materials. The design and workmanship of the designers in Tiffany is obviously goping to be a lot better than some cheap back street jeweller.

I love my Tiffany necklace and my ring. My ideal would be to get prestigious jewellery designers to commission a piece for me but sadly I don't have those kind of funds.

I am not a jewellery designer therefore I do not know the intricacies involved. I would not go to a cheap jeweller to create a piece for me and believe that it is of the same standard as Tiffany and Cartier. Sorry but it is not the same and the quality would be rubbish

I believe a lot of goldsmiths who spent years perfecting their crafts would disagree!

I have a commissioned piece from a jeweler. It is white gold and star sapphires. I have no brand name or any makers mark. Yet again, the elegance of the piece speaks for itself. Its not shoddy or tacky the jeweller wouldn't sell anything if it was.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The thread is about understated elegance and I take that to mean not the elaborately showy. I also think of Vivienne Westwood as elegant but never understated. Equally Deeta Von Tease exudes elegance but it hardly feels understated.

Audrey Hepburn and Katherine Hepburn both spring to mind for understated elegance. Very different women but a real sense of inner confidence that allows them to wear a t-shirt and headscarf and still look elegant. Yes, the choice of headscarf and t-shirt play their part but without that confidence they are but clothes.

I wear too many rings - not particularly elegant but I am usually well enough put together and I wear what feels comfortable. Two rings were designed and made for me - they both garner comments and many people have asked where to get them. The craftsmanship on them is not perfect,the silver is good, but they are unique, reflective of me and both were made with love as gifts for me. That wins out over a brand name every time as far as I am concerned.

[Removed by poster at 19/08/12 14:46:26]

Joanna Lumley epitomises it for me. Unless she's playing Patsy!!

"What does it mean to you?

To me, it means someone who appreciate quality when he/she sees it, not into displaying labels yet appreciate a good design when he/she sees it.

"

Agree,understated elegance to me simply is quality without being ostentatious,i love to wear Nino Cerruti 1881 both clothes and perfume pour homme

If they can walk in flipflops without waddling then that is elegance!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"If they can walk in flipflops without waddling then that is elegance! "

That's so true!

"If they can walk in flipflops without waddling then that is elegance! "

Crocs or mock Crocs for me!

By *omnlynneCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

elegance has nothing to do with the clothes but how you wear them....as the saying goes ..."cant make a silk pure from a sows ear"

» Add a new message to this topic