FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any plumbers in tonight please?

Any plumbers in tonight please?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple  over a year ago

Brizzle

We have a new flat & keep running out of hot water, we have a hot water tank which heats up water overnight.

The plumbers been out once to have a look & can’t find anything wrong, but he upped the water temperature so we should use less for baths.

I can’t remember how much our tank holds, but he reckons we should get at least 2 baths from it ( we don’t) he also says it’s at its peak in the morning & by 7/8pm when we want a bath, it will have lost a bit of heat but not that much.

Tonight we washed one pan & then I had a shower, that left enough hot water for 2 thirds of a bath!

Somethings not right does anybody know what’s wrong, is there any way of testing how much hot water is produced without physically running the taps? (we’re on a meter)

I want to ask the question to the neighbours but we don’t have any yet, it’s a new build.

Thanks in advance.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman  over a year ago

lancashire

"We have a new flat & keep running out of hot water, we have a hot water tank which heats up water overnight.

The plumbers been out once to have a look & can’t find anything wrong, but he upped the water temperature so we should use less for baths.

I can’t remember how much our tank holds, but he reckons we should get at least 2 baths from it ( we don’t) he also says it’s at its peak in the morning & by 7/8pm when we want a bath, it will have lost a bit of heat but not that much.

Tonight we washed one pan & then I had a shower, that left enough hot water for 2 thirds of a bath!

Somethings not right does anybody know what’s wrong, is there any way of testing how much hot water is produced without physically running the taps? (we’re on a meter)

I want to ask the question to the neighbours but we don’t have any yet, it’s a new build.

Thanks in advance.

"

I'm not a plumber but sounds like some thing isn't right, maybe it's the size of the water tank? if you have gas I'd consider getting a combi' boiler? can you look up the make online?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If it's a new build why do you have a tank most modern system heat the hot water on demand

By *exas46Man  over a year ago

South East

Im afraid a lot of the tanks in flats are small and wont hold a great deal of water in them. I know you heat your water over night when its cheaper but you should be able to switch the immersion on manually if you want to top up the hot water, just make sure you switch it off again. I dont think there is an issue its purely the size of the cylinder you have

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Ive googled. If the coiks are the wrong way round, you wont get much hot water.

Stick to showers?

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Cant understand why a new build would have a hot water tank. Most houses dont even have a cold water tank these days.

If your hot water is coming from an immersion heater, then you could run some hot water, but the tank will top up with cold ready to heat up again. It could be topping up too quickly, rather than allowing you to use up the hot water you have stored, first.

You really should have a combi boiler in a new build. I would look at getting one anyway. It will probably save you money in the long run.

Brizzle

"If it's a new build why do you have a tank most modern system heat the hot water on demand "

We have a tank as that’s what’s been installed, so if we could persuade them to take it out what should they replace it with?

Bolton

"If it's a new build why do you have a tank most modern system heat the hot water on demand

We have a tank as that’s what’s been installed, so if we could persuade them to take it out what should they replace it with?"

A combi boiler.

Brizzle

"Im afraid a lot of the tanks in flats are small and wont hold a great deal of water in them. I know you heat your water over night when its cheaper but you should be able to switch the immersion on manually if you want to top up the hot water, just make sure you switch it off again. I dont think there is an issue its purely the size of the cylinder you have"

I kind of agree with what you’re saying but even the plumber agrees with me, after one bath 70% hot 30% cold you shouldn’t be out of water. There’s a separate timer but he says it’s not the best system he says there should be a separate switch, all we have is a boost button.

By *ogic 500TV/TS  over a year ago

Gloustershire

The is heating overnight night on E7 so it’s cheeper to heat, if and when you run out of water you would normally look for the controller which would probably be a box 8”x10” with a boost button or more likely dial which will result-heat at full cost but gets the 2nd Bath. Most of this is educated guess work from what you have said.

The cylinder is probably 36” tall or 42” if it looks strange which would be a cylinder with tank on top. It’s a very old fashioned/ cheep way of giving you basic hot water. If possible the way it would work best long term is to have an electric shower over the Bath which then means you hardly need any hot water for general life. It’s also probably the cheapest option but does need a large cable running directly to your fuse board for power.

Hope that helps you can send pics ask questions if I haven’t made sense

Bolton

"The is heating overnight night on E7 so it’s cheeper to heat, if and when you run out of water you would normally look for the controller which would probably be a box 8”x10” with a boost button or more likely dial which will result-heat at full cost but gets the 2nd Bath. Most of this is educated guess work from what you have said.

The cylinder is probably 36” tall or 42” if it looks strange which would be a cylinder with tank on top. It’s a very old fashioned/ cheep way of giving you basic hot water. If possible the way it would work best long term is to have an electric shower over the Bath which then means you hardly need any hot water for general life. It’s also probably the cheapest option but does need a large cable running directly to your fuse board for power.

Hope that helps you can send pics ask questions if I haven’t made sense

"

Be cheaper to get an electric shower intalled too. A combi would mean running more water pipes and you might not have any gas supply near where your boiler would have to go. When the shower eventually packs in, its a damn sight cheaper to replace than a boiler and a lot simpler. You can DIY it.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

A lot of flats don't have gas for a combi boiler. It's E7. Have you checked that the timer is set correctly and that it's charging at the right times? You should have a boost button to get a top up, but it's expensive this way.

Bolton

I can remember the bad old days in the 70s and eighties. We had a back boiler and an immersion heater. Who betide anyone who dared tò switch the immersion on. Dad would be furious. That was with mam, dad and 3 of my brothers in the house. Hot water was at a premium. Manys the time i had 4 pans on the stove and the kettle on as well to top it up to somewhere near hot.

"We have a new flat & keep running out of hot water, we have a hot water tank which heats up water overnight.

Thanks in advance.

"

Do you have electric or gas?

If it’s an old system it can be a build up of shit over the years, the element could have went or the dip tube could need replacing?

An average power shower uses 12 litres of water per minute.

Your tank will never fully heat the entire volume of water it can hold, simply because the thermostat built into the immersion will cut out when it reaches the set temperature.

Because it is located at the top of the tank it will heat the water from the top down therfore there will only be roughly 70% of the tanks capacity at the set temperature.

If your tank holds 200 litres, you have 140 litres of hot water, a 10 minute shower will use 120 litres.

Adding to that,,,, you have the hot instantly being replaced with cold decreasing the cooling down period of the remaining hot water....

So bigger tank,,, or,,, combi boiler

» Add a new message to this topic