FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > “Designer dogs “

“Designer dogs “

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ichaelangela OP   Couple  over a year ago

notts

Ok. I’m old. All through my life any dog that was mixed breed. Not pure bred. Was a mongrel and you couldn’t give away what would now be called a cockerpoo or a sprocker. (Other mixed breeds are available)

So when did a mongrel become expensive??

Just curious. Treat an old guy nice

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

At some point all dog breeds were mongrels/cross-breeds until they started to be bred amongst themselves for particular characteristics.

If cockapoos are bred with cockapoos and certain characteristics were aimed that then they'd become a breed.

To me a mongrel is one where you couldn't tell what breeds are involved and there is no planning involved.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

All dogs are mongrels surely ?

The one and only truly original would be the wolf ? Correct that if there's other ancestors I don't know about.

A cockerpoo is NOT a registered breed but it IS a recognised breed now. I guess people pay silly money as they look curly and cute like teddy bear.

There's no accounting for how easily parted with their money some people are.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

B.T.W........

When I was a girl any pups born in to a neighbour were GIVEN away to good homes.

No one was stupid enough to actually part with their hard earned income to own a dog.

By *ichaelangela OP   Couple  over a year ago

notts

"B.T.W........

When I was a girl any pups born in to a neighbour were GIVEN away to good homes.

No one was stupid enough to actually part with their hard earned income to own a dog. "

Same here. If you could manage to give them away

By *ustyshowoffCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"At some point all dog breeds were mongrels/cross-breeds until they started to be bred amongst themselves for particular characteristics.

If cockapoos are bred with cockapoos and certain characteristics were aimed that then they'd become a breed.

To me a mongrel is one where you couldn't tell what breeds are involved and there is no planning involved."

It would take several generations of breeding like to like to establish it as a breed.

You can now register them with the KC but only because they want the cash from registration fees

"B.T.W........

No one was stupid enough to actually part with their hard earned income to own a dog. "

Yep - I remember kittens and puppies in the local paper to collect for free.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We have messed around with the breeding of dogs for 100's of years, creating mongrels for our purpose. Its fascinating looking at how certain breeds looked 50+ years ago

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"B.T.W........

No one was stupid enough to actually part with their hard earned income to own a dog.

"

A large amount of these "free" pets will end up in puppy farms or as bait for dog fighting. It's a harsh reality. And that is not a new concept, it's been happening for years. The lucky ones end up in dog homes and shelters.

I fully agree that the unethical side to the dog breeding business is out of control,both in terms of prices and quantity.

As has been said though, the vast majority of dog breeds are cross breed. Pedigree is a human construct, and its purpose was for desired traits. Some of the "designer" dogs were bred specifically (well accidentally) to be hypoallergenic.

Some breeds are much older than others. There is a reason why Beagles, Bassett hounds, Harriers, and Foxhounds look similar but still very different.

"B.T.W........

A large amount of these "free" pets will end up in puppy farms or as bait for dog fighting. It's a harsh reality. And that is not a new concept, it's been happening for years. The lucky ones end up in dog homes and shelters.

I fully agree that the unethical side to the dog breeding business is out of control,both in terms of prices and quantity.

As has been said though, the vast majority of dog breeds are cross breed. Pedigree is a human construct, and its purpose was for desired traits. Some of the "designer" dogs were bred specifically (well accidentally) to be hypoallergenic.

Some breeds are much older than others. There is a reason why Beagles, Bassett hounds, Harriers, and Foxhounds look similar but still very different. "

What is a puppy farm?

And does dog fighting still exist

Liverpool

"We have messed around with the breeding of dogs for 100's of years, creating mongrels for our purpose. Its fascinating looking at how certain breeds looked 50+ years ago"

Except the selective breeding of the past was done purely for performance and with purpose. The desired traits were done in benefit of the dog.

Modern selective breeding is all about appearance at the expense of the dogs health.

Pugs and bulldogs are getting unhealthier all the time because people "want" flatter faces, which causes more breathing issues.

Pugs actually used to look like much more like Puggles (pug x Beagle).

GSD used to have a flat and straight back, with the hind legs level with the front. Now (mostly show dogs) their backs are far from straight and level.

Liverpool

"B.T.W........

Some breeds are much older than others. There is a reason why Beagles, Bassett hounds, Harriers, and Foxhounds look similar but still very different.

What is a puppy farm?

And does dog fighting still exist "

Rows of potentially hundreds of cages, filled with female dogs, forced to breed and produce litters of puppies every cycle. There are even puppy farms that front as barely respectable breeders.

And yes dog fighting still exists.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"We have messed around with the breeding of dogs for 100's of years, creating mongrels for our purpose. Its fascinating looking at how certain breeds looked 50+ years ago

Except the selective breeding of the past was done purely for performance and with purpose. The desired traits were done in benefit of the dog.

Modern selective breeding is all about appearance at the expense of the dogs health.

Pugs and bulldogs are getting unhealthier all the time because people "want" flatter faces, which causes more breathing issues.

GSD used to have a flat and straight back, with the hind legs level with the front. Now (mostly show dogs) their backs are far from straight and level."

And education is the only way forward, I wonder if the new trends will outbreed the health problems we introduced from poor breeding selections in the past

"B.T.W........

What is a puppy farm?

And does dog fighting still exist

Rows of potentially hundreds of cages, filled with female dogs, forced to breed and produce litters of puppies every cycle. There are even puppy farms that front as barely respectable breeders.

And yes dog fighting still exists. "

humans are disgusting

By *oody HuddsonMan  over a year ago

sexy town

Super Stars, fashion trends and social media are what drives most things and dog breads are no exception.

The cost of any breed of dog at the moment is ludicrous and Covid lock downs have driven this. I suspect now we are back to as normal as it’s going to get the rescue centres will see a huge influx again.

In general we are an awful race in some respects.

Well yesterday in a well known leafy suburb of Dublin I saw a women walking down the road with a small white dog in a designer handbag. I dont mind people pampering dogs (to a point) but is this not excessive? After thousands of years of evolution has the dog species come to this? Being carried down the Street in a Hermes handbag?

Here in France there are a lot less designer mongrels. Small purebred pups are popular and expensive. There are many reputable breeders in France but they are far outnumbered by the very bad. Animal charity's do a great job but generally I'm sad to say that many dogs here get a very bad deal. I'm writing this while my 8 week old pup sleeps on my knees. He's 3/4 springer and a quarter jack Russel. Came from a hunter and was kept in pretty dire conditions. Never had any flea or worm treatment and kept outside in a plastic Wendy house. My other 3 dogs are all rescues 2 ex Hunting dogs who had spent 3 of their 4 years in rescue kennels, and a gsd x dutch who we also rescued as a pup. I'd like to think that if folk are paying mega bucks for a designer pup that it will have a good life but I fear the same in the UK, that many breeders just look at it as a cash cow, they can have litter after litter and no need to kc register. At least if you breed pedigree pups and want to register them the kennel club have quite strict rules about how many litters a dog can have. But I've seen supposedly non registered pedigree pups for similar amounts and no legislation for how many litters. Its a minefield and I also noticed uk prices for any pups has soared since lockdown. Greed is greed and its just sad that animals have to suffer the consequences.

"We have messed around with the breeding of dogs for 100's of years, creating mongrels for our purpose. Its fascinating looking at how certain breeds looked 50+ years ago

GSD used to have a flat and straight back, with the hind legs level with the front. Now (mostly show dogs) their backs are far from straight and level."

Perhaps you could educate those unethical breeders on flat faces and the introduction of boss testing and respiratory function testing scheme.

Those very same so called ‘top’ breeders who accidentally let the Pomeranian in with the bulldog so the line crossed so generations down it created a Merle with no end of health issues.

You want the names of the big designer kennels who are responsible??? The same man who has the only ‘pink’ frenchie in the world currently classed as priceless!.

Not all breeders of pugs and bulldogs are bad many follow the respiratory function scheme as they want to better the breed it’s the others who are still doing their damedest to destroy it.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

"...because people "want" flatter faces, which causes more breathing issues."

Dogs with flattened faces are called brachycephalic dogs.

There'a lot of info online about these type of canines.

Dogs of mixed breeds have the benefit of a concept called hybrid vigour; the characteristics of both parents.

"...because people "want" flatter faces, which causes more breathing issues.

Dogs of mixed breeds have the benefit of a concept called hybrid vigour; the characteristics of both parents."

Yes but just because your crossing two different breeds does not always mean they inherit hybrid vigour. You could just end up with a puppy who has the worst from both parents. If the parents are not genetically or conformationally correct then the pups have a very slim chance of being the exception.

GSD used to have a flat and straight back, with the hind legs level with the front. Now (mostly show dogs) their backs are far from straight and level.

Perhaps you could educate those unethical breeders on flat faces and the introduction of boss testing and respiratory function testing scheme.

Those very same so called ‘top’ breeders who accidentally let the Pomeranian in with the bulldog so the line crossed so generations down it created a Merle with no end of health issues.

You want the names of the big designer kennels who are responsible??? The same man who has the only ‘pink’ frenchie in the world currently classed as priceless!.

Not all breeders of pugs and bulldogs are bad many follow the respiratory function scheme as they want to better the breed it’s the others who are still doing their damedest to destroy it.

"

Having bred rough collies ( other end of the spectrum face wise I know) it's also likely that the merle gene alone is responsible for some of the problems. It's really really frowned upon to put two blues together ( only blue merle in roughs)as it it can cause a whole heap of issues. Its safer if its a tri bred blue to blue but still risky. I've know of pups born with all sorts of anomalies as I'm sure you can guess. Blindness and deafness, empty orbital sockets etc etc.

By *J coupleCouple  over a year ago

stone

It amazes me how much folk are prepared to pay. We are more than likely rehoming a boxer/staffy 6 year old. She will hopefully be a friend for our other boxer/staffy cross.

Liverpool

"...because people "want" flatter faces, which causes more breathing issues.

Dogs of mixed breeds have the benefit of a concept called hybrid vigour; the characteristics of both parents.

Yes but just because your crossing two different breeds does not always mean they inherit hybrid vigour. You could just end up with a puppy who has the worst from both parents. If the parents are not genetically or conformationally correct then the pups have a very slim chance of being the exception. "

"We have messed around with the breeding of dogs for 100's of years, creating mongrels for our purpose. Its fascinating looking at how certain breeds looked 50+ years ago"

I agree with you totally . . We bought a little cavalier King Charles 7 years ago . . Even though I'm not a dog lover it was well loved by the kids and the wife . . Just recently her health had gone down to point yesterday we decided to have her out to sleep .. Jesus I didn't realised I'd miss her so much .. all me , wife and kids have done is cry getting up this morning at 7 and her not scratching at door to be let out really hit home .. we're well and truly devastated .. Wife's eyes looks like she's been in a boxing ring ..

The messing of dogs to get em to look a certain way needs to stop x

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

Definitely something needs to be done to stop these stupid breeders harming the health of the breed

I had a long haired chihuahua before the likes of reality tv made them 'trendy' id like another but theyre just obscene money and bread with alot of issues now.

Newry Down

My ideal dog would be a breed called the Korthal's Griffon; although I am also partial to Ovtcharkas

The most child-friendly dog is the Scottish breed called the Dandie Dinmont.

I recently met a guy out walking an illegal breed: a Perro de Presa Canario; unpredictable, dangerous and prone to killing their owners!

If you want peace and quiet, get a Basenji-an African breed that has been bred not to bark!

"My ideal dog would be a breed called the Korthal's Griffon; although I am also partial to Ovtcharkas

I recently met a guy out walking an illegal breed: a Perro de Presa Canario; unpredictable, dangerous and prone to killing their owners!

If you want peace and quiet, get a Basenji-an African breed that has been bred not to bark!"

Bred not to bark.. ffs isn't a dig suppose to bark.... what shit has that breed gone. Through not v to bank ..b

By *iromancergirl1Woman  over a year ago

bolton

I have a short haired male chihuahua and a long haired female Chinese crested they had a litter and I kept there son those two mixed are called chi chi’s

Newry Down

"My ideal dog would be a breed called the Korthal's Griffon; although I am also partial to Ovtcharkas

If you want peace and quiet, get a Basenji-an African breed that has been bred not to bark!

Bred not to bark.. ffs isn't a dig suppose to bark.... what shit has that breed gone. Through not v to bank ..b "

The rationale for having a Basenji in Africa, is that on hunting trips the dog would not spook the target of the hunt; they are very rare- I've only ever seen one, in real life.

If you want peace and quiet, get a Basenji-an African breed that has been bred not to bark!"

I have a Korthaal .

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Bred not to bark.. ffs isn't a dig suppose to bark.... what shit has that breed gone. Through not v to bank ..b

The rationale for having a Basenji in Africa, is that on hunting trips the dog would not spook the target of the hunt; they are very rare- I've only ever seen one, in real life. "

They are not at all rare I've seen plenty of them over the years.

Newry Down

The rationale for having a Basenji in Africa, is that on hunting trips the dog would not spook the target of the hunt; they are very rare- I've only ever seen one, in real life.

They are not at all rare I've seen plenty of them over the years. "

Over the years, I have spoken to lots of owners of very rare breeds; a great ice breaker: a NZ Huntaway, Dogo Argentino, Cane Corso, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Ovtcharka, Dutch Barge Dog, Spinone, Ethelhund, Kelpie, Dandie Dinmont, Bouvier des Flandres, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Lakenois, Terveuren. Lovely dogs and really friendly owners.

The lady with the Huntaway was delightfully charming.

By *jorkishMan  over a year ago

Seaforth

There is a movement focusing on taking the pug backwards. A pug and jack Russell mix called a Jug extends the nose to make breathing better. Some call it retro pug. Cute looking dog

Newry Down

There is a movement focusing on taking the pug backwards. A pug and jack Russell mix called a Jug extends the nose to make breathing better. Some call it retro pug. Cute looking dog"

I saw one yesterday in Belfast!

They are not at all rare I've seen plenty of them over the years.

Over the years, I have spoken to lots of owners of very rare breeds; a great ice breaker: a NZ Huntaway, Dogo Argentino, Cane Corso, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Ovtcharka, Dutch Barge Dog, Spinone, Ethelhund, Kelpie, Dandie Dinmont, Bouvier des Flandres, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Lakenois, Terveuren. Lovely dogs and really friendly owners.

The lady with the Huntaway was delightfully charming.

"

Hate to break it to you but many of the breeds you've mentioned aren't really that rare. I remember being at crufts the year they decided to group all the Belgian shepherd's in the same category, prior to this the 4 types were all judged in separate groups.

» Add a new message to this topic