FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > NHS England back log

NHS England back log

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orny PT OP   Man  over a year ago

Peterborough

If Boris is going to clear this, then he should think about having hospitals open on Sundays as well as Saturdays. GP surgeries and dentists should do the same as well.

What do you think will happen?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

unless there is a whole load of doctors and other medical staff just qualified to fill those days i dont see how it helps

you ever worked constant 7 day weeks? its not sustainable , it would make me more concerned about the quality of care i would receive from someone exhausted from being over worked

Everyone will die.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Aren't hospitals open 24/7

"Aren't hospitals open 24/7 "

yes but i dont think routine surgery gets booked for weekends only emergency stuff

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

Sadly some of those waiting will die before they get the treatment they need. It must be a horrible situation for the doctors and nurses trying to work out who to prioritise with limited resources.

By *anae21Woman  over a year ago

Nearer than you think

"If Boris is going to clear this, then he should think about having hospitals open on Sundays as well as Saturdays. GP surgeries and dentists should do the same as well.

What do you think will happen?"

I think the Govt will soon realise that poor pay and stressed conditions for most NHS workers has resulted in a staffing nightmare and it'll take years to turn the tide.

Peterborough

"Aren't hospitals open 24/7 "

A&E: yes

Outpatients: no

Operating theatres: emergency only

Maternity wards: yes

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

What happened with all those new nurses he promised to hire?

Outpatients are currently running appointments in both Saturday and Sunday at the moment in my area.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I assume it goes by each trust. I know people that are having treatment and procedures on Saturdays and during the week the operating hours are longer and have been since September, all to catch up and fit everyone in.

Hospitals are doing extra clinics but you can't have a consultant doing an Op and a clinic at the same time. And Drs are working flat out with patients, hot sites and covid clinics I think the NHS is doing its best

A lot of services, scans, xrays, blood tests etc are already available at weekends. It's brilliant, car park empty, virtually no queues, longest wait past appointment was 10 minutes.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"Everyone will die."
one way of clearing the back log

Peterborough

"unless there is a whole load of doctors and other medical staff just qualified to fill those days i dont see how it helps

you ever worked constant 7 day weeks? its not sustainable , it would make me more concerned about the quality of care i would receive from someone exhausted from being over worked "

I'm not asking staff to work 7 days a week. That's ridiculous.

You can go shopping, to the pub (Yay!), buy petrol, visit some banks (METRO), get on a plane, train, bus and ferry etc, 7 days a week.

It can be done if there's money in the kitty for new staff, whilst using the otherwise unused operating theatres

So that's what I'm talking about.

Employ dedicated weekend staff and that's 100 days a year gained.

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

Is it time military medical staff were brought in to the theatres, as they have some of the best staff that are full timers and reservists, who are being used to great advantage in the Covid testing. Their surgeons would be most welcome to help in surgery. Dental staff would be an absolute lifesaver too!

Trying to get help for my mum has been difficult.

Just seems like things have grind to a halt

Peterborough

"Outpatients are currently running appointments in both Saturday and Sunday at the moment in my area. "

Excellent news: what county is this then?

Peterborough

"Everyone will die."

Daily Mail or Daily Express?

liverpool

"unless there is a whole load of doctors and other medical staff just qualified to fill those days i dont see how it helps

you ever worked constant 7 day weeks? its not sustainable , it would make me more concerned about the quality of care i would receive from someone exhausted from being over worked

You can go shopping, to the pub (Yay!), buy petrol, visit some banks (METRO), get on a plane, train, bus and ferry etc, 7 days a week.

It can be done if there's money in the kitty for new staff, whilst using the otherwise unused operating theatres

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

Is it time military medical staff were brought in to the theatres, as they have some of the best staff that are full timers and reservists, who are being used to great advantage in the Covid testing. Their surgeons would be most welcome to help in surgery. Dental staff would be an absolute lifesaver too!"

I thought the military staff numbers were tiny?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

Is it time military medical staff were brought in to the theatres, as they have some of the best staff that are full timers and reservists, who are being used to great advantage in the Covid testing. Their surgeons would be most welcome to help in surgery. Dental staff would be an absolute lifesaver too!"

But it's not just staffing, it's the operating costs of opening up theatres, labs etc. The cost I would imagine would be prohibitive which is awful to think when we're talking about people.

Would you be happy to pay increased taxes to fund weekend teams?

Peterborough

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

Is it time military medical staff were brought in to the theatres, as they have some of the best staff that are full timers and reservists, who are being used to great advantage in the Covid testing. Their surgeons would be most welcome to help in surgery. Dental staff would be an absolute lifesaver too!

I thought the military staff numbers were tiny?"

We need someone who knows, to answers this one. Either way every little helps.

Peterborough

"A lot of services, scans, xrays, blood tests etc are already available at weekends. It's brilliant, car park empty, virtually no queues, longest wait past appointment was 10 minutes."

More good news.

Peterborough

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

But it's not just staffing, it's the operating costs of opening up theatres, labs etc. The cost I would imagine would be prohibitive which is awful to think when we're talking about people.

Would you be happy to pay increased taxes to fund weekend teams? "

When it comes to dental work, we in England pay through the teeth.

"Outpatients are currently running appointments in both Saturday and Sunday at the moment in my area.

Excellent news: what county is this then?"

Sussex

Peterborough

"Outpatients are currently running appointments in both Saturday and Sunday at the moment in my area.

Excellent news: what county is this then?

Sussex "

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

As someone who works in a hospital...

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

Though they're doing it anyway... More overtime for the poor, exhausted staff. We're literally haemorrhaging doctors as they've had enough.

Peterborough

"As someone who works in a hospital...

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

Though they're doing it anyway... More overtime for the poor, exhausted staff. We're literally haemorrhaging doctors as they've had enough. "

MOD could help out.

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

Though they're doing it anyway... More overtime for the poor, exhausted staff. We're literally haemorrhaging doctors as they've had enough.

MOD could help out."

this is a fantasy , it was widely discussed last year why were the MOD medics not able to help when we were at the peak and the nightingales couldnt be staffed ... the truth is most of the MOD medics are TA and already work for the NHS

liverpool

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

Though they're doing it anyway... More overtime for the poor, exhausted staff. We're literally haemorrhaging doctors as they've had enough. "

Dont fret..boris said he is going to hite another 30,000..any day now...

Peterborough

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

MOD could help out.

this is a fantasy , it was widely discussed last year why were the MOD medics not able to help when we were at the peak and the nightingales couldnt be staffed ... the truth is most of the MOD medics are TA and already work for the NHS "

What about the others, Air Force and Navy/Marines?

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Weekend clinics are happening. Mr KC had weekend appointments about his neck lump. My Dad had a colonoscopy on a Sunday. Etc. They are doing the best they can with the resources they have and the other pressures.

By *inkySeeKinkyDoWoman  over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

MOD could help out."

I work for NHSE, and the MOD did acually help out, more from a logistics perspective but some medics were actally utilsed during the height of the pandemic, so there you go...

North West

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

MOD could help out.

this is a fantasy , it was widely discussed last year why were the MOD medics not able to help when we were at the peak and the nightingales couldnt be staffed ... the truth is most of the MOD medics are TA and already work for the NHS

What about the others, Air Force and Navy/Marines?"

They're still working in the NHS! It doesn't matter which armed service you pick, the medics are pretty much all seconded from the NHS.

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

I thought the military staff numbers were tiny?"

Military uses mainly NHS now and lots of their medical staff are reservists who only get called up for action in emergencies or when they do their routine training

By *penallhrsMan  over a year ago

Northampton

I find myself being absolutely fortunate to have gone thru 2 large procedures October/December 2020. Triple Heart Bypass and then a Cancer operation. Both times the staff were amazing. I feel for them entirely when people moan about wanting more working hours. They do an awesome job and it’s so full on for long hours. Surgeons are under immense stress to get operations done but with ICU beds taken up this is difficult. I was in ICU and HDU and witnessed first hand how Covid was taking over bed space and wards.

Unfortunately even if you had bigger hospitals with lots of rooms you’ve still got to fully staff them with competent people. I can’t see them ever getting back to a normal because Covid will still be a factor for a long time yet.

North West

"I find myself being absolutely fortunate to have gone thru 2 large procedures October/December 2020. Triple Heart Bypass and then a Cancer operation. Both times the staff were amazing. I feel for them entirely when people moan about wanting more working hours. They do an awesome job and it’s so full on for long hours. Surgeons are under immense stress to get operations done but with ICU beds taken up this is difficult. I was in ICU and HDU and witnessed first hand how Covid was taking over bed space and wards.

Unfortunately even if you had bigger hospitals with lots of rooms you’ve still got to fully staff them with competent people. I can’t see them ever getting back to a normal because Covid will still be a factor for a long time yet. "

I had gynae surgery in August 2020

Mr KC had a suspect neck lump removed in November 2020

My Dad has had various diagnostic tests and investigations throughout the pandemic period.

The NHS didn't stop...

Northampton

WITH WHAT STAFF!?

Totally agree, witnessed the stresses last year and can only imagine how bad it must be now. Saw 12-14 hour shifts with limited breaks. Any other work place it wouldn’t be allowed. I applaud the staff and that includes nurses, porters and consultants. Let’s not forget the tea lady who had to bring extra biscuits to our ward after some bribery from us patients

Northampton

[Removed by poster at 13/05/21 23:46:54]

Northampton

"I find myself being absolutely fortunate to have gone thru 2 large procedures October/December 2020. Triple Heart Bypass and then a Cancer operation. Both times the staff were amazing. I feel for them entirely when people moan about wanting more working hours. They do an awesome job and it’s so full on for long hours. Surgeons are under immense stress to get operations done but with ICU beds taken up this is difficult. I was in ICU and HDU and witnessed first hand how Covid was taking over bed space and wards.

Unfortunately even if you had bigger hospitals with lots of rooms you’ve still got to fully staff them with competent people. I can’t see them ever getting back to a normal because Covid will still be a factor for a long time yet.

I had gynae surgery in August 2020

Mr KC had a suspect neck lump removed in November 2020

My Dad has had various diagnostic tests and investigations throughout the pandemic period.

The NHS didn't stop..."

Glad you had your treatments and can see first hand how fortunate we were.

The staff were amazing from both hospitals I went to,

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

Its not that easy 2 just get staff. The staff have 2 have at least 3-4 years training before being qualified to work. The uptake on people wanting 2 train has dropped due to uni fees

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

"If Boris is going to clear this, then he should think about having hospitals open on Sundays as well as Saturdays. GP surgeries and dentists should do the same as well.

What do you think will happen?"

Have you not realised the hospitals have been quite busy with another emergency for over a year now?

I don't really see how it's Boris's fault and as has been said where will all the trained surgeons, doctors etc come from to clear the backlog?

By *ostonJoeMan  over a year ago

Boston

We are all going to die.

Im sorry. You are.

I am. My children will too.

How we die is not as important as how we live.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

There isn't money in the kitty for new staff. In fact we're being asked to save money now that the pandemic is easing. Staff that we're taken on temporarily during the pandemic are being let go and those who came back from retirement are returning to their retirement.

The thing is that even if we had an entirely new government that actually gave us decent funding to be able to increase surgical capacity long term, it wouldn't be something possible to do overnight. It would have to be a 5 year goal rather than now. It isn't just a case of staffing theatres, we would need more cleaners, more porters, more admin staff, more receptionists, more ICU capacity, more beds on wards, etc. Not to mention that recruiting doctors and nurses is insanely difficult at the moment. We don't train enough in this country because the government doesn't want to fund the training places (even with students paying their own tuition fees there is still a lot of additional costs involved). Increasing training places now would give us more nurses in 4 years time and more doctors in 6 years time. Junior doctors mind. It takes them another 2 years after that to even be able to assist in surgery and then a further 2 years to be able to operate with minimal supervision. A further 5 years to be able to become a Consultant which is when you become a fully qualified surgeon and can operate without supervision. As for bringing in staff from other countries who are already qualified, it's increasingly harder now we've left the EU as we need to provide certificates of sponsorship which costs money. A nurses starting salary is also below the minimum salary for a "skilled worker" so you have to jump through loads of additional hoops to be able to employ nurses from abroad.

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

For new staff.... How about paying those who are already there properly ffs!!!!! Nurses in particular are being screwed already with the minimum rise this year as an embarrassing insult.

By *inkySeeKinkyDoWoman  over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

"For new staff.... How about paying those who are already there properly ffs!!!!! Nurses in particular are being screwed already with the minimum rise this year as an embarrassing insult. "

...and us! We don't do ANALytics for the love of it do we!

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

The battle to open GP surgeries 7 days a weeks has been going on since long before the pandemic!

They refuse to play ball

Peterborough

Unfortunately even if you had bigger hospitals with lots of rooms you’ve still got to fully staff them with competent people. I can’t see them ever getting back to a normal because Covid will still be a factor for a long time yet. "

Good to see you on the mend and on the way to rude health.

Peterborough

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

Its not that easy 2 just get staff. The staff have 2 have at least 3-4 years training before being qualified to work. The uptake on people wanting 2 train has dropped due to uni fees "

Uni fees are stopping a lot of people from reaching their true potential and becoming a higher rate tax payer too. Bad move HM GOV.

Peterborough

"The battle to open GP surgeries 7 days a weeks has been going on since long before the pandemic!

They refuse to play ball "

It's time for change. My surgery expects me to be on the phone for 30 minutes, like everybody else trying to win the appointment lottery. This is incompatible if you are working. Same day appointments and bookings don't work when it's a scrum to speak to the single receptionist.

Peterborough

(A&E is 7 days a week.)

Would you be happy to pay increased taxes to fund weekend teams? "

I'd be happy to see senior staff have their pay rises frozen.

» Add a new message to this topic