FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Back to the office....

Back to the office....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After working from home for the past year and currently planned on continuing to do so for about more six months at least I've been thinking about whether or not I ever really want to go back.... I sure as hell don't miss the commute and knowing I was definitely going to be late in if I heard 'thought for the day'.

What about you? Want to stay at home, eager to get back to the office and that slightly creepy guy who stands too close or a mix of both?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Has your office got a water cooler ?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Has your office got a water cooler ? "

You're so 90's

"Has your office got a water cooler ?

You're so 90's"

Whatttsssuuuuuuuuppp ?!

Went back just before Christmas...It was depressing but had no choice.

We aren’t back until at least Christmas if not longer. Suits me

we are probably another 6 months before we have the option and hoping to do a blend of office and home working

if i am honest its the lazy part of me that wants to stay home, and the sociable part of me that wants to be in the office ... pros and cons of both and my drivers aren’t all that business related

i do think if people are honest though, after that first flip to home when things seemed to go great for a while (probably because we were comparing to our expectation of it all falling apart) , productivity has slowed over time, team morale isnt really a thing anymore, ability to train staff easily and just pick up snippets of useful knowledge from being around other people working and talking all day is probably lost forever and its not as great for business as the first thoughts were

the difficulty is though finding a balance that works for staff and the company - not in too much that the flexibility people have become used to is lost, but not in so little that none of the office benefits have really come back and its become just a tick box showed my face one day exercise

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We all do a mix of days on a rota so I’m in the office on a Tuesday & Thursday. We have no phone access at home so get loads done at home & then in the office for phone calls, queries, complaints etc..

I hated working from home at first but once I found my feet I realised how much more flexible it is.

J x

By *izzibeth9Couple  over a year ago

Loughborough

I'm hoping to avoid it if at all possible. The lack of commute has made me realise just how much of my life was being eaten up just getting to and from work.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"

i do think if people are honest though, after that first flip to home when things seemed to go great for a while (probably because we were comparing to our expectation of it all falling apart) , productivity has slowed over time, team morale isnt really a thing anymore, ability to train staff easily and just pick up snippets of useful knowledge from being around other people working and talking all day is probably lost forever and its not as great for business as the first thoughts were

"

This is probably the best way I've seen it summed up. Recruitment and training has been a nightmare and if I'm being honest I haven't really learnt much over the past number of months and always used to be picking up valuable bits and bobs. But that ten hours a week I'm not fannying about on the M60..... pure bliss

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"we are probably another 6 months before we have the option and hoping to do a blend of office and home working

if i am honest its the lazy part of me that wants to stay home, and the sociable part of me that wants to be in the office ... pros and cons of both and my drivers aren’t all that business related

the difficulty is though finding a balance that works for staff and the company - not in too much that the flexibility people have become used to is lost, but not in so little that none of the office benefits have really come back and its become just a tick box showed my face one day exercise "

A very balanced analysis - I am torn as well. I am leaning towards the office as I think so many things get lost when you only see disembodied heads on screen and aren't working alongside people day in day out. As much as anything, I forget to do things because the visual reminder of seeing people keeps things present in my head that otherwise fall out!

"we are probably another 6 months before we have the option and hoping to do a blend of office and home working

the difficulty is though finding a balance that works for staff and the company - not in too much that the flexibility people have become used to is lost, but not in so little that none of the office benefits have really come back and its become just a tick box showed my face one day exercise

A very balanced analysis - I am torn as well. I am leaning towards the office as I think so many things get lost when you only see disembodied heads on screen and aren't working alongside people day in day out. As much as anything, I forget to do things because the visual reminder of seeing people keeps things present in my head that otherwise fall out!"

the problem with that is if those other people chose to stay at home and you are just in the office yourself none of those office benefits are there

this is why i think offices need to put a little structure round plans going forward, i know they want to be all for promoting flexibility, but so much flexibility that its a free for all you might as well all just stay at home

it will be interesting how companies navigate finding the balance

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

A very balanced analysis - I am torn as well. I am leaning towards the office as I think so many things get lost when you only see disembodied heads on screen and aren't working alongside people day in day out. As much as anything, I forget to do things because the visual reminder of seeing people keeps things present in my head that otherwise fall out!

the problem with that is if those other people chose to stay at home and you are just in the office yourself none of those office benefits are there

this is why i think offices need to put a little structure round plans going forward, i know they want to be all for promoting flexibility, but so much flexibility that its a free for all you might as well all just stay at home

it will be interesting how companies navigate finding the balance "

Yes, that's true. Asynchronous working is already a problem when everyone is working remotely. A two tier workforce could emerge without careful management.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

We're moving to an "as required" physically in the college from Monday until September. We'll see what the world brings then. So, I'm physically in tomorrow and 3 days next week. We've been pretty much 100% WFH since 17 March 2020. It's been nice to get back to seeing colleagues in the flesh. The traffic sucks. Mr KC and I have enjoyed working together at home, overall

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

"I'm hoping to avoid it if at all possible. The lack of commute has made me realise just how much of my life was being eaten up just getting to and from work. "

The commute is the worst bit. Waste of time and money. I saved so much of both working from home, however, I really do miss my workmates who are aces and do get less distracted in the office. I'm very torn

» Add a new message to this topic