FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Good Old Days...or were they?

The Good Old Days...or were they?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Were things better in days gone by or is nostalgia the solace of the misinformed.

Where do you stand, society is on a downward curve or 'we've never had it so good'?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

A work hard ethic and enjoy the rewards mantra will always work in my opinion. Raise your game to achieve rather than drag others down is a guiding principle that has served me well.

The only negative I see is the rise of bitterness and jealousy shown towards others who achieve. All very sad.

All in all, I feel positive moving forward feeling fortunate that I have a million memories of times gone by.

By *uyuksno1Man  over a year ago

poole

i love looking forward times are hard at the moment but i think every decade has its down side i loved being a child of the 80s and been a young parent in the 0s with all the new technology i think everyday brngs new challenges and new friendships i like to see the positive instead of the negative xx

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Same shit different day.

Some details change, I remember as a kid the filth on the streets, litter everywhere and the keep Britain tidy campaign. Things are certainly more tidy now!

Regarding violence and crime I don't think things are much different now to that of the 70, 60 or 50's only our attitudes toward it have changed.

Generally the only thing I see that is different now compared to the past is we are a little less naive and more cynical, there is good and bad in that.

It's the self righteous indignance to anything that goes against your personal grain that has crept into society that I despise. It's idiotic.

Overall it's just AWESOME to be alive what ever time you're in. I should know I've been to a few in my machine.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Live for the now !! You cant change the past only learn from it and make your future and present even better than it is

The good old days when children were seen and not heard.

when parents had the sense to actualy discipline and keep their kids under control. when the man of the house was the main bread winner, who always came first.

when there werent so many women on the television and less trafic on the roads.

women grew old gracefully instead of trying to look like their daughters.

people werent so obsesed with keeping up with the joneses.

I came back from the future to sperminate women...and I have sequels

arrrgh!-she's my MOTHER!!!!-this paradox shagging really isnt helping...dunno whether I'm cuming or going really...

"Were things better in days gone by or is nostalgia the solace of the misinformed.

Where do you stand, society is on a downward curve or 'we've never had it so good'?"

For some people its a pretty torrid time right now but there are others who have never had it so good.

The government says we are in a recession so things in theory should be worse than they were 5-10 years ago but if you go back to the 60's and 70's material possessions are far higher.

The rose tinted glasses for the good old days is probably a big factor though. For us I would say things are and have been on a nice steady incline for the past 10 years which is great.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Good things from the past was that homes and gardens were larger, and roads quieter. Those would be refreshing things to get back to... but there were major downsides too.

"Good things from the past was that homes and gardens were larger, and roads quieter. Those would be refreshing things to get back to... but there were major downsides too.

"

But they weren't people lived in small terraced houses with one or if lucky 2 bedrooms, no bathroom and outside toilets. Garden wise the majority didn't either having a small yard if they were lucky.

By *ingmasterMan  over a year ago

nottingham

Dont know which side of the fence im really on here but i must say that one observation ive made is , that the age of persons commiting the most serious and or violent crimes does seem to be getting lower with each passing year .and more and more women and young girls seem to be involved . what can we sumise from this ?

"The good old days when children were seen and not heard.

when parents had the sense to actualy discipline and keep their kids under control. when the man of the house was the main bread winner, who always came first.

people werent so obsesed with keeping up with the joneses."

Spot on also dont forget when teachers had control of pupils and not the other way round like today

Spot on also dont forget when teachers had control of pupils and not the other way round like today"

and some teachers abused that power...I was never on the receiving end, but witnessed teacher to pupil bullying on a number of occasions...the lack of professional self control was indeed staggering in the past at times.Have to say I did enjoy my friends kickboxer mother going head to head with a teacher who beat my friend with his shoe.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Those 'good old days' were before my time, sounds like your hankering after an era where they were also sent up chimneys...

Children have rights, however along with that goes responsibility..

Also depends on ones own definition of 'discipline', we made a decision not to use 'violence' on the kids to correct their behaviour etc when they got to about 6 or 7..

used other sanctions and they both have turned out well, thinh is some parents dont know the difference between a slap and a punch with a child to 'discipline' them...

the evidence is sadly borne out in dead children and ruined lives..

has society got worse, in some aspects yes in others there have been major improvements..

we still have too much child 'poverty', and a widening gap between the 'rich and the poor'..

women have greater opportunities yet there is still pay inequality..

we still seem to have a fixation with technology and the must have latest gadget, but were we ever not slaves to consumerism...

"Same shit different day.

Some details change, I remember as a kid the filth on the streets, litter everywhere and the keep Britain tidy campaign. Things are certainly more tidy now!

Regarding violence and crime I don't think things are much different now to that of the 70, 60 or 50's only our attitudes toward it have changed.

Generally the only thing I see that is different now compared to the past is we are a little less naive and more cynical, there is good and bad in that.

It's the self righteous indignance to anything that goes against your personal grain that has crept into society that I despise. It's idiotic.

Overall it's just AWESOME to be alive what ever time you're in. I should know I've been to a few in my machine."

Crime statistics make it abundantly clear that society is far more violent and crime ridden today than it was in the 50s, 60s and 70s. And with all due resoect to you, you are not old enough to remember much of the seventies, never mind the decades before the 7Os.

I grew up in different parts of South London and stayed there after I left my parental home in 1975 until 1987. There was very little gun crime which is why the shooting of one Hells Angel type by another on Chelsea Bridge in 1970 was national news, and very little knife crime. Even gangsters like the Richardsons and their East End counterparts the Krays were more at home with pick axe handles and knuckledusters than guns and knives. It was in the eighties that violent crime began increasing drastically and became far nastier.

It would also have been unthinkable for school pupils to have knifed to death their headmaster-even at the schools in Battersea and Wandsworth I went to.

My mother's side of the family lived in Rhondda in South Wales and even in the 70s they and their neighbours were able to leave their front doors unlocked. If they did that now they would probably have crack heads coming into their houses and stealing everything they have.

It's one thing to be positive, but it's another to bury one's head in the sand.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes they where the good old days, for two reasons. Simplicity and innocence

Spot on also dont forget when teachers had control of pupils and not the other way round like today

and some teachers abused that power...I was never on the receiving end, but witnessed teacher to pupil bullying on a number of occasions...the lack of professional self control was indeed staggering in the past at times.Have to say I did enjoy my friends kickboxer mother going head to head with a teacher who beat my friend with his shoe."

In 1929, at the age of 7, my Dad was deafened in one ear by a teacher who thought it perfectly acceptable to thump in the side of the head for not being able to write his name. My Dad turned out to be one the first in this country to be diagnosed as Dyslexic.

Were they the good old days? Okay, there is a lot wrong with our society these days, but I would NEVER want to go back to the days of unquestioning 'respect' for authority, and the ignorant attitudes of those who were in positions where they could have made a difference to peoples lives and did nothing but abuse their positions.

[Removed by poster at 13/08/12 15:14:26]

people werent so obsesed with keeping up with the joneses."

I love your line about growing old gracefully - especially when it's accommpanied by a photo of you with with a cock in your mouth lol

The UK was a much simpler place perhaps in the 40s,50s and early 60s in terms of people having clearly and rigidly defined class structures / gender roles /sexual roles to conform to / The UK being largely mono-ethnic and mono - cultural..

Certainly as once rigid social structures have became more fluid and the ethnic / culture make-up of the uk has changed with immigration / different cultures .. new challenges have presented themselves.. every era had it's challenges though it's probably inaccurate to idealize certain eras as being some sort of beacon / societal model to aspire to.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

In 1952..Alan Turing, who had been the head of the section responsible for cracking the code of the German Enigma machine in WW11, and acknowledged father of modern computer science, was convicted of committing a homosexual act.

He was given the choice of a prison sentence or chemical castration..he chose castration. In 1954 he killed himself by eating an apple laced with cyanide.

It is thought that the hormonal imbalance caused by the castration affected his ability to sustain the kind of intellectual rigour his work demanded, something that he couldn't live with.

Today the manner of how he was treated would be considered barbaric..some things have changed for the better!!

"In 1952..Alan Turing, who had been the head of the section responsible for cracking the code of the German Enigma machine in WW11, and acknowledged father of modern computer science, was convicted of committing a homosexual act.

He was given the choice of a prison sentence or chemical castration..he chose castration. In 1954 he killed himself by eating an apple laced with cyanide.

It is thought that the hormonal imbalance caused by the castration affected his ability to sustain the kind of intellectual rigour his work demanded, something that he couldn't live with.

Today the manner of how he was treated would be considered barbaric..some things have changed for the better!!"

or just the general fact he could never expressive his sexuality and find love?-depressing times, for those poor people.

[Removed by poster at 13/08/12 18:11:46]

[Removed by poster at 13/08/12 18:12:30]

I'd also hark back to the 80's, and the media, such as The Sun-

I think if we googled back issues from that era we could find some of the most horrific racial and homophobic shite u'd ever hear of.

then of course nearer to todays times they embrace or disgrace race and sexuality..IF it sells.SCUM!.

By *entscotscplCouple  over a year ago

falkirk ish

times are realy getting better for us here

me mr cents is fortunate enough to still be in work

after being held back with an oppressive supervisor , i now have a new manager and in the last 2 months i have earned a 8 k

rise in salary and a 2 k rise in salary which starts on the ist of september

so i am lucky in the climate that is out there older days were good but today is even better

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Even Greek philosophers stated a few thousand years ago that society was in decline ...

For me it is about the perception of a loss of morality that people are concnerned with for example more outlandish d*unken teenage behaviour, more news about terible acts of violence and crime against vulnerable members of society.

Perhaps things have got worse - maybe we have got more accustomed to a moral decline, a lack of mutual respect and a general slipping of standards - I dont know.

I do feel though that it is up to me as an individual and take responsibility for MY actions and that includes trying to be a good role model for example for my children whenever I can.

"In 1952..Alan Turing, who had been the head of the section responsible for cracking the code of the German Enigma machine in WW11, and acknowledged father of modern computer science, was convicted of committing a homosexual act.

Today the manner of how he was treated would be considered barbaric..some things have changed for the better!!

or just the general fact he could never expressive his sexuality and find love?-depressing times, for those poor people."

Given what Turing did for this Country, the way he was treated by the very system which used his talents less than 10 years earlier, was nothing short of shameful and, given that many of those working within the Government at the time were secretly gay, all the more hypocritical. Thankfully things have changed for the better, but we're still not there yet...

I do not appreciate the rise of the "me me me" culture, and feel peeps have become more selfish.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Same shit different day.

Overall it's just AWESOME to be alive what ever time you're in. I should know I've been to a few in my machine."

I'd go with that and add watch London a Modern Babylon just to prove Funky's time machine is real and he speaks the truth.

"Good things from the past was that homes and gardens were larger, and roads quieter. Those would be refreshing things to get back to... but there were major downsides too.

But they weren't people lived in small terraced houses with one or if lucky 2 bedrooms, no bathroom and outside toilets. Garden wise the majority didn't either having a small yard if they were lucky."

Look at the census data for 100 years ago - families of 5 -15 in one room and houses filled with families like that. A few had bigger houses and more space. There was a 'joke' amongst census takers that they would knock on the door and ask how many lived in a house. The person answering the door would say that they have 8 in their room but couldn't say for the rest of the house.

or just the general fact he could never expressive his sexuality and find love?-depressing times, for those poor people.

Given what Turing did for this Country, the way he was treated by the very system which used his talents less than 10 years earlier, was nothing short of shameful and, given that many of those working within the Government at the time were secretly gay, all the more hypocritical. Thankfully things have changed for the better, but we're still not there yet...

"

And yet, there was a dispute about him being counted as one of the Modern Elizabethans for R4.

But they weren't people lived in small terraced houses with one or if lucky 2 bedrooms, no bathroom and outside toilets. Garden wise the majority didn't either having a small yard if they were lucky.

Look at the census data for 100 years ago - families of 5 -15 in one room and houses filled with families like that. A few had bigger houses and more space. There was a 'joke' amongst census takers that they would knock on the door and ask how many lived in a house. The person answering the door would say that they have 8 in their room but couldn't say for the rest of the house."

I suppose its fair to say who would trust the data on many things from the last century?-crime stats,WMD's..and a whole host of shite...

» Add a new message to this topic