FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Smartphone

Smartphone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Mrs due upgrade I've told her meh they are all pretty much the same these day's.

Avoid over priced iPhone.

She currently has a pixel.

I told her Huawei all the way mines been hands down best brand I've ever owned .

But anyone suggest anything?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

OnePlus make great phones and are reasonably priced

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've got a Samsung S10 plus

I barely know how to work it so I'm probably tge wrong person to be giving advice

I like the big screen and the camera is pretty good.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I don't know what's available now, but my Nokia 9 punches well above its price point. (No it's not a brick. Lol)

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

I really like my Samsungs tbh. Had various versions now and they have all been great.

You say Huawei is great, but doesn't the US company ban cause issues for you?

For anyone who doesn't know, the US Gov banned American companies from working with Huawei, so there is no Google apps such as Chrome, Gmail, Assistant and the PlayStore (for getting more apps)

I know you can sideload some stuff, but that just seems so much hassle for very little benefits to me.

really like iPhone not so many stupid blocks etc but a way better security

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I really like my Samsungs tbh. Had various versions now and they have all been great.

For anyone who doesn't know, the US Gov banned American companies from working with Huawei, so there is no Google apps such as Chrome, Gmail, Assistant and the PlayStore (for getting more apps)

I know you can sideload some stuff, but that just seems so much hassle for very little benefits to me. "

Yes, I'd be wary of Huawei for that reason

Ive just got another google pixel - theyre great and not that expensive

By *hesblokeMan  over a year ago

Derbyshire village

I had the Huawei p20 pro and I loved it. The latest of theirs don't have Google or somesuch so I went for the oppo x2 neo and it's.... technically very good. I can't say it's as good as it could be, the operating system (colorOS) doesn't seem to get updated as much as, say, android on a Samsung.

I phone security is better

By *heNYCSausageMan  over a year ago

Everton

"Mrs due upgrade I've told her meh they are all pretty much the same these day's.

I told her Huawei all the way mines been hands down best brand I've ever owned .

But anyone suggest anything?"

I was a phone shop manager. Anyone giving recommendations needs to be ignored!!!

It all depends on what your wife uses it for. Is she happy with the pixel? What does she want it to do?

Too many questions need answering before I could give a recommendation

"I really like my Samsungs tbh. Had various versions now and they have all been great.

I know you can sideload some stuff, but that just seems so much hassle for very little benefits to me. "

From what I can gather.

This was retracted and Huawei are now back with Google play.

Derbyshire village

I know you can sideload some stuff, but that just seems so much hassle for very little benefits to me.

From what I can gather.

"

Really?! Ah for f........

Samsung A Range is decent.

By *ohnny4playMan  over a year ago

Kinross

"OnePlus make great phones and are reasonably priced"

I'll second OnePlus! I've enjoyed the two I've had, currently on a hand me down huawei, but still think on balance the older OnePlus was a better phone (declining battery life and a cracked screen aside)

Derbyshire village

Whichever you go for get one with the super fast charging (VOOP or something?) It's hilariously fast.

By *aughty_Smooth_OperatorMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Samsung are good have had my Note 9 since came out was going to upgrade to the S20 ultra but stuck with my Note 9 as ultra had no expandable memory.

Warwick

"really like iPhone not so many stupid blocks etc but a way better security"

Unfortunately that's only true if you start installing things from dodgy sites on Android.

There have been just as many vulnerabilities found in iOS software as in Android software, but iOS users still feel safer which actually makes them an easier target for malicious activities.

Also on Android if an issue is found you can normally work around it yourself, but with iOS you have to wait for Apple to resolve it.

People obviously still love Apple, but it's no longer the leading company it once was and IMHO the phones are not worth anywhere near their price.

I struggled with Apple after having android phones so maybe not a good idea to change to them. Love Samsung as they just seem so easy to use and well equipped. Have an S10 and they keep promoting the upgrades but I'm more than happy with the features, quality and battery life even as a 20 month old phone

By *aughty_Smooth_OperatorMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"really like iPhone not so many stupid blocks etc but a way better security

Unfortunately that's only true if you start installing things from dodgy sites on Android.

There have been just as many vulnerabilities found in iOS software as in Android software, but iOS users still feel safer which actually makes them an easier target for malicious activities.

Also on Android if an issue is found you can normally work around it yourself, but with iOS you have to wait for Apple to resolve it.

People obviously still love Apple, but it's no longer the leading company it once was and IMHO the phones are not worth anywhere near their price. "

IPhone's are over rated over priced limited with what you can do and hardly come with big upgrades when new one is released and still behind Samsung or other phones out there.

Warwick

From what I can gather.

"

Really? I was pretty sure it was still in place last month.

Trump extended the ban into 2021 and I hadn't heard that Biden had retracted the ban or it had expired.

I thought that would have been bigger news on the gadget sites if it had.

Only ever had Samsung right from the original galaxy, other than damage I've caused myself, I've never had any issues, apart from time when the phone was 18 months old and apparently the main board died and Samsung repaired free of charge and gave me a loan phone

Derbyshire village

"I struggled with Apple after having android phones so maybe not a good idea to change to them. Love Samsung as they just seem so easy to use and well equipped. Have an S10 and they keep promoting the upgrades but I'm more than happy with the features, quality and battery life even as a 20 month old phone "

Mrs. CC refuses to upgrade from her s10, it does everything she wants!

By *wiftieeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Huawei still have problems with Play, so avoid. And Honor are made by Hauwei.

Iphones, well if you've got money to burn, go ahead, but you can buy Android phones at a fraction of the price.

I've had Motos for quite a number of years now, they're all I need, current phone is a G8 Plus.

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Cheers for replies.

I have been using Huawei for about 5 year's my current phone is coming into its 3rd year of use and all android functions including Google maps play store ... Work perfectly.

I think I'm am going to get her to stay with the pixel.

Easy to use and does everything she needs it to do.

I have a samsung something or other, the cameras mega, it does everything i want it too and the battery lasts 18h a day with lots of use i used to have iphones upuntil 2 years ago and decided i didnt want to pay 60 odd quid on a phone anymore... the samsung trouces on the iphone and costs me £18 a month

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

I'm suspicious saying Samsung Galaxy note 20 Ultra as have been the only smartphone mobile brand and model i ever had i still have the first model , i don't have the last but the note 9 and always been happy with all motes i had

Well my recommendation defenitly is Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

By *ussieChrisMan  over a year ago

Walsall

I went for Huawei (cheap old model) to the newer p30 Pro.. Best decision I've made concerning phones.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Mrs due upgrade I've told her meh they are all pretty much the same these day's.

But anyone suggest anything?"

I was going to say avoid Huawei.... Mines shit. And its also Chinese and I'm on a not buy Chinese unless I have to thing.

By *ussieChrisMan  over a year ago

Walsall

"I was going to say avoid Huawei.... Mines shit. And its also Chinese and I'm on a not buy Chinese unless I have to thing. "

Nothing wrong with Chinese brands.. (most stuff is made in China or Taiwan these days anyway.)

I have a Chinese 125cc motorbike, and still runs nicely after 10years not much tlc either (my bad), and my phone (even if I've only had it a few months) works like a dream.. And takes good pics.. So don't knock Chinese stuff

"I've got a Samsung S10 plus

I barely know how to work it so I'm probably tge wrong person to be giving advice

I like the big screen and the camera is pretty good."

Agreed..

Not got a problem with my S10 plus either

Also not long found out I can use it to cam in the chat rooms also...bonus...

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I love my Huawei, definitely good value. And then I just have a cheap Tesco SIM card

I really like iPhones ... I think mines an 11 something and I really like it .... but I’ve had iPhones since blackberry days xxx

From what I can gather.

Really? I was pretty sure it was still in place last month.

Trump extended the ban into 2021 and I hadn't heard that Biden had retracted the ban or it had expired.

I thought that would have been bigger news on the gadget sites if it had. "

From what I remember, once the p40 series arrived, they lacked Google, though the best latest edition of the p40,pro plus whatever.

That was to include Google.

I've not looked into it any further, I went for the p30 lite instead.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"Samsung A Range is decent. "

I'd second that - spec is not *that* different from the S Range but the price is about half - had an A5, now an A70 and would go for an A again when I come to change

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I phone security is better "

I really can’t understand why anyone would not have an iPhone, even if you don’t care about security / privacy they just function properly and aren’t full of bugs

» Add a new message to this topic