FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > May Fitness Activities and Challenges

May Fitness Activities and Challenges

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have spent the last 6 weeks recovering from my foot injury following our recent running challenge (82 miles in 41 hours).

This hasn't stopped me from being as active as I can safely be, and so I have been enjoying the great outdoors with daily walks and I have also started kettle bell training sessions with my better half and my goodness we are enjoying the new challenge its giving us. If I keep going as I am then I should be running in 2 weeks.... fingers crossed.

How have everyone else's fitness activities coming along over the last month? Any new activities started? Any challenges achieved or being worked towards? Let's share our experiences and support for each other

NBVN x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I'm slowly but surely getting back to normal ish after last year. Been hiking up the Preselli hills and along the coastal path this weekend. My legs now feel like lead, but getting back to normal fitness slowly yay

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Terrible. Just. No. Willpower.

"I'm slowly but surely getting back to normal ish after last year. Been hiking up the Preselli hills and along the coastal path this weekend. My legs now feel like lead, but getting back to normal fitness slowly yay "

Hey that's fantastic news, well done you. Muscle ache is a good ache

NBVN x

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

So I accidentally beat my pre lockdown PB on lat pulldowns yesterday as I didn't realise one of the little add on weights was on . I'd only managed 5 reps of my previous PB the week before but this week I did 1 and a half sets of 2.3kg over my previous PB so I'm pretty pleased .

"Terrible. Just. No. Willpower. "

Aww no, lets see if we can help you? Which activities do you usually enjoy?

NBVN x

Still recovering from injury I sustained in January.

Stupidly slow progress, cant lift at heavy all, for me anyway.

Lost 12kg in just over 3 months, mostly muscle.

I hate being small

"So I accidentally beat my pre lockdown PB on lat pulldowns yesterday as I didn't realise one of the little add on weights was on . I'd only managed 5 reps of my previous PB the week before but this week I did 1 and a half sets of 2.3kg over my previous PB so I'm pretty pleased . "

Oh wow well done you I would be so pleased too. So what's next for you?

NBVN x

By *ancer36Woman  over a year ago

Stirling

Still going with my 1 million steps challenge for a mental health charity, ends on 1rst June - currently at 798,675 steps

Best of luck on getting back running, you look great xx

"Terrible. Just. No. Willpower.

NBVN x "

Running but can’t even walk for long anymore without getting out of breathe.

By *rMrsBrightsideCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

I joined the gym two weeks ago and absolutely loving it. I've gone to various gyms many times over the years but never felt this motivated.

My main aim is to build my strength so I am slowly building up my weights. I am also trying to increase my running distances, I am hoping what I am doing in the gym will help with this.

Kx

I've settled into a nice routine..

Walking 5 to 10km daily and gym every 1-2 days

My gym work is ok, not great yet, but I'm going through the motions and slowly but steadily getting there

I walked 266km in April, so I'd like to beat that

Just recently back at the gym after a long absence no real goals at the moment except getting back in shape and then bulking up

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"So I accidentally beat my pre lockdown PB on lat pulldowns yesterday as I didn't realise one of the little add on weights was on . I'd only managed 5 reps of my previous PB the week before but this week I did 1 and a half sets of 2.3kg over my previous PB so I'm pretty pleased .

NBVN x "

Keep going and getting stronger

I had built up a nice belly - 34’, I’ve the lockdowns. Decided, enough is enough in February and worked on a diligent plan to cut it down. Fit my 30’ jeans last week perfectly.

May and June is about now adding some abs ... and not losing this shape!

"Still recovering from injury I sustained in January.

I hate being small "

I bet you still look great but I completely understand when you feel disappointed with your progress and appearance. Keep with the progress, you know that you're doing it the right way and will benefit long term

NBVN x

"Still going with my 1 million steps challenge for a mental health charity, ends on 1rst June - currently at 798,675 steps

Best of luck on getting back running, you look great xx"

Hey you're doing fantastic lady, very well done keep this awesome effort going.

I can't wait to run but am so nervous too. I won't push it too much, baby steps (literally )

NBVN x

"Terrible. Just. No. Willpower.

NBVN x

Running but can’t even walk for long anymore without getting out of breathe. "

OK... walking is fantastic though, have you thought of setting small achievable targets? Start with half a mile and increase weekly but keep the distance low and then focus on the effort to increase speed.

It doesn't matter if this takes weeks or months, you will be working to achieve personal manageable goals and will be healthier, fitter and stronger. Plus we are here to support you

NBVN x

"I joined the gym two weeks ago and absolutely loving it. I've gone to various gyms many times over the years but never felt this motivated.

My main aim is to build my strength so I am slowly building up my weights. I am also trying to increase my running distances, I am hoping what I am doing in the gym will help with this.

Kx"

I am loving the positivity from this response, good on you and well done for building up slowly. Keep it going and check back in next month with an update.

NBVN x

I did my first gym session in 4 years on Sunday, only 20 mins cardio, because I csnnot afford to get injured and I am very unfit. I plan to build up gradually, first cardio fitness, then endurance x

"I've settled into a nice routine..

My gym work is ok, not great yet, but I'm going through the motions and slowly but steadily getting there

I walked 266km in April, so I'd like to beat that "

As you know walking is fantastic, I am pleased that you're enjoying being back in the gym and are still blending your training with the great outdoors. Well done on your walking achievement, superb.

NBVN x

"Just recently back at the gym after a long absence no real goals at the moment except getting back in shape and then bulking up"

I hope you're enjoying being back in the gym. I dare say you will be on target to achieve your goals before you know it...well done.

NBVN x

"So I accidentally beat my pre lockdown PB on lat pulldowns yesterday as I didn't realise one of the little add on weights was on . I'd only managed 5 reps of my previous PB the week before but this week I did 1 and a half sets of 2.3kg over my previous PB so I'm pretty pleased .

NBVN x

Keep going and getting stronger "

Keep us posted

NBVN x

"I had built up a nice belly - 34’, I’ve the lockdowns. Decided, enough is enough in February and worked on a diligent plan to cut it down. Fit my 30’ jeans last week perfectly.

May and June is about now adding some abs ... and not losing this shape! "

Omg wow well done to you look forward to seeing and hearing your progress next month.

NBVN x

As you know walking is fantastic, I am pleased that you're enjoying being back in the gym and are still blending your training with the great outdoors. Well done on your walking achievement, superb.

NBVN x "

Thanks! I'm feeling very old and creaky, so going to try and get back to eating well... might invest in some supplements short term - feel like I'm lacking energy considering all the exercise I do

Glad your recovery program is going in the right direction!

By *nfin8yWoman  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

I’m doing a virtual long distance walking challenge which helps keep me motivated to do something. There’s an online community which is very supportive too.

"I did my first gym session in 4 years on Sunday, only 20 mins cardio, because I csnnot afford to get injured and I am very unfit. I plan to build up gradually, first cardio fitness, then endurance x"

This is awesome, well done to you. I really hope you enjoyed the session and are looking forward to returning. You are doing everything right by listening to your body too.

NBVN x

I am back in the saddle when ever i can be and of course always out for a walk

I'm enjoying yoga too

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Hello NBVN.

Sorry to hear of your injury, it's a bugger when that happens, but pleased to heat you're on the mend.

I've signed up to 8 weeks of bootcamp and some 1 to 1 PT sessions at a new place. I'm still going to my old gym too but just fancied a new challenge. It starts tomorrow, I'm feeling very anxious about it though

I've recently started personal training and have just bought an excersize bike that I plan on using...

I’m glad you’ve kept active that’s great! I hope your foot is healed in a couple of weeks I bet you’ve really missed your running!

I’ve been back in the gym I took it slow and light the first week but pretty much back to where I was before this last lockdown. So I’m quite happy with how it’s going.

I wish everyone well on their fitness journey you’ll get there!

By *ark ph0enixWoman  over a year ago

Teesside

I'm back to gym next week as seems my spine is behaving so far.

Slow and steady to start as really dont want to trigger a flare up.

Might even order some new gym gear tonight

"I’m doing a virtual long distance walking challenge which helps keep me motivated to do something. There’s an online community which is very supportive too.

"

Walking is the best way to start back and I agree - community is really good standard

By *iggyStarjumpsMan  over a year ago

Stockport

I had my first swimming lesson last week, hoping to build some confidence and start wild swimming this year.

I run regularly and would like to start some weights to help with that - any advice for a beginner?

I hate being small

I bet you still look great but I completely understand when you feel disappointed with your progress and appearance. Keep with the progress, you know that you're doing it the right way and will benefit long term

NBVN x "

Nope, look like shit, no new photos until I'm back to 110kg +, just not happy being this size

Ramping up HIIT training. Even snuck an outdoor gym session in the day after my second jab. Glad I'm back doing HIIT. Running is not my first choice of exercise.

By *aramel.desiresMan  over a year ago

London

Unfortunately for my local gym I won’t be returning!

I have managed to build a small gym at home, use YouTube for HIIT routines and started doing Calisthenics again. And I am making nice progress.

My favourites on YouTube are MadFit (hot) and Simone Pander.

Always happy to help or give basic advice

NBVN x

Thanks! I'm feeling very old and creaky, so going to try and get back to eating well... might invest in some supplements short term - feel like I'm lacking energy considering all the exercise I do

Glad your recovery program is going in the right direction!

"

I think I need some supplements too.

NBVN x

"I’m doing a virtual long distance walking challenge which helps keep me motivated to do something. There’s an online community which is very supportive too.

"

This sounds awesome, I hope you enjoy it.

NBVN x

"I am back in the saddle when ever i can be and of course always out for a walk

I'm enjoying yoga too "

Ooh yoga, I have been thinking of restarting pillates.

NBVN x

"Hello NBVN.

Sorry to hear of your injury, it's a bugger when that happens, but pleased to heat you're on the mend.

I've signed up to 8 weeks of bootcamp and some 1 to 1 PT sessions at a new place. I'm still going to my old gym too but just fancied a new challenge. It starts tomorrow, I'm feeling very anxious about it though "

Hey well done for taking on a new challenge. It's always daunting when starting something new but you will be great and will feel awesome later. Keep us posted.

NBVN x

"I've recently started personal training and have just bought an excersize bike that I plan on using..."

Oh that's commitment, well done to you

NBVN x

"I’m glad you’ve kept active that’s great! I hope your foot is healed in a couple of weeks I bet you’ve really missed your running!

I’ve been back in the gym I took it slow and light the first week but pretty much back to where I was before this last lockdown. So I’m quite happy with how it’s going.

I wish everyone well on their fitness journey you’ll get there! "

Well done on your achievement, this must be a great confidence boost too.

NBVN x

"I'm back to gym next week as seems my spine is behaving so far.

Slow and steady to start as really dont want to trigger a flare up.

Might even order some new gym gear tonight "

Retail therapy is a must slow and steady is essential as too is listening to your body. You are doing everything correctly, well done.

NBVN x

"I had my first swimming lesson last week, hoping to build some confidence and start wild swimming this year.

I run regularly and would like to start some weights to help with that - any advice for a beginner? "

Oh wow you're doing so well. I have no doubt that you will get some advice on weight training from the lovely peeps here.

NBVN x

I hate being small

NBVN x

Nope, look like shit, no new photos until I'm back to 110kg +, just not happy being this size"

You will get it back, just be patient and be kind to yourself. We will all look forward to seeing your new pics when you're ready.

NBVN x

"Ramping up HIIT training. Even snuck an outdoor gym session in the day after my second jab. Glad I'm back doing HIIT. Running is not my first choice of exercise. "

This is great news, really positive.

NBVN x

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I've been going horse riding, am back in the gym and doing a mash-up of wheelchair basketball/cardio/random fitness in the park with my PT.

I was supposed to be pushing a very hilly 10k next weekend, but it's gone virtual. I might give it a bash anyway....

"Unfortunately for my local gym I won’t be returning!

I have managed to build a small gym at home, use YouTube for HIIT routines and started doing Calisthenics again. And I am making nice progress.

My favourites on YouTube are MadFit (hot) and Simone Pander.

Always happy to help or give basic advice

"

This is fantastic news and very well done on your achievement and it's success.

Thank you for being happy to support and share your experience with the rest of us.

NBVN x

By *arol321Woman  over a year ago

Poole

I’m back to the gym - waiting outside when they reopened!

We are limited to 2 hours a day so I do that 6 days a week. I bought a myzone heart monitor last September which motivates me no end. I’ve set the bar at 1000 calories and average heart rate of over 70% of maximum for a 2 hour workout and I hit that target probably 95% of the time.

So overall it’s going great

Hope you get back to full fitness soon.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"Hello NBVN.

I've signed up to 8 weeks of bootcamp and some 1 to 1 PT sessions at a new place. I'm still going to my old gym too but just fancied a new challenge. It starts tomorrow, I'm feeling very anxious about it though

Hey well done for taking on a new challenge. It's always daunting when starting something new but you will be great and will feel awesome later. Keep us posted.

NBVN x "

Thank you

By *arpePinguisWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

My lardy arse is doing Shelters 100 squats a day in May. I've been doing some half hour exercise classes via Zoom a few mornings a week for a couple of months now to improve my health. Can't help thinking that the squats will be handy for when meets are allowed again!

"I've been going horse riding, am back in the gym and doing a mash-up of wheelchair basketball/cardio/random fitness in the park with my PT.

I was supposed to be pushing a very hilly 10k next weekend, but it's gone virtual. I might give it a bash anyway...."

Oh my goodness you are doing absolutely awesome, give the 10k a go and keep us posted. Good luck

NBVN x

"I’m back to the gym - waiting outside when they reopened!

We are limited to 2 hours a day so I do that 6 days a week. I bought a myzone heart monitor last September which motivates me no end. I’ve set the bar at 1000 calories and average heart rate of over 70% of maximum for a 2 hour workout and I hit that target probably 95% of the time.

So overall it’s going great

Hope you get back to full fitness soon. "

This is fantastic, well done to you. Thanks, I hope to be improving this month in readiness for marathon training in July.

NBVN x

"My lardy arse is doing Shelters 100 squats a day in May. I've been doing some half hour exercise classes via Zoom a few mornings a week for a couple of months now to improve my health. Can't help thinking that the squats will be handy for when meets are allowed again!"

The squats will definitely help and the exercise classes via Zoom are great.

NBVN x

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Hello gorgeous, fingers crossed for your running soon x

I am on 10 pool laps a day this week, pushing up to 15/20 next week depending on how I settle in with it all again. I want to be back to 30 a day to regain my upper strength and cardio levels I attained before lockdown x

By *agertha73Couple  over a year ago

Cardiff

We'll be spending the next month trying to get our squat, bench and deadlift back to reasonable numbers after five months off.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I've been going horse riding, am back in the gym and doing a mash-up of wheelchair basketball/cardio/random fitness in the park with my PT.

I was supposed to be pushing a very hilly 10k next weekend, but it's gone virtual. I might give it a bash anyway....

Oh my goodness you are doing absolutely awesome, give the 10k a go and keep us posted. Good luck

NBVN x "

I probably will, just want to do it in good weather! Hopefully your foot heals soon too. Take a look at Ella's Wheelchair Workouts (as seen on The One Show tonight) for some seated exercise. It can be done from a regular chair, wheelchairs aren't compulsory!

"Hello gorgeous, fingers crossed for your running soon x

I am on 10 pool laps a day this week, pushing up to 15/20 next week depending on how I settle in with it all again. I want to be back to 30 a day to regain my upper strength and cardio levels I attained before lockdown x

"

Hello lovely lady

You're doing great and approaching it right. I bet its wonderful to be back in the pool.

I am excited at the thought of running but it will be hard for the first few weeks.

NBVN x

"We'll be spending the next month trying to get our squat, bench and deadlift back to reasonable numbers after five months off."

I am sure that together you will achieve your goals and regain previous successes. Enjoy the journey both.

NBVN x

NBVN x

I probably will, just want to do it in good weather! Hopefully your foot heals soon too. Take a look at Ella's Wheelchair Workouts (as seen on The One Show tonight) for some seated exercise. It can be done from a regular chair, wheelchairs aren't compulsory!"

Aww thank you, I really appreciate your advice and tips. I will look at it

NBVN x

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

It is all going fine. I am continuing as usual with my training at home. I am maingaining and I train 3 times a week with a full body workout and my fitness challenge that I try to keep up with every month is to walk 10000 steps aday, it usually gets more, some days 15000 steps, it is fun

"It is all going fine. I am continuing as usual with my training at home. I am maingaining and I train 3 times a week with a full body workout and my fitness challenge that I try to keep up with every month is to walk 10000 steps aday, it usually gets more, some days 15000 steps, it is fun "

You're doing great, and the results are clearly going in your favour... very well done.

NBVN x

By *arker secrets 321Man  over a year ago

West Bromwich

My workout as gone well 4 last 14 wks 3 times a wk training at home .slipped a bit on my stomach so need 2 get 6 pack back happy with top half thou x

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Purchased an adjustable exercise bench and cast iron adjustable dumbbell / barbell set to 50kg. Doing home training regime 4-5x a week paired with actual gym going 2-3x a week for specific exercises that I can't do at home.

I've a form to maintain and enhance

Went back to the gym for the first time in 6 months. Had 2 workouts and happy to find out I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Blimey. You lot make me wanna get up off this sofa! Almost!

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

"It is all going fine. I am continuing as usual with my training at home. I am maingaining and I train 3 times a week with a full body workout and my fitness challenge that I try to keep up with every month is to walk 10000 steps aday, it usually gets more, some days 15000 steps, it is fun

You're doing great, and the results are clearly going in your favour... very well done.

NBVN x "

Ty and yes it does, the key is to eat mostly at maintenance level x

"My workout as gone well 4 last 14 wks 3 times a wk training at home .slipped a bit on my stomach so need 2 get 6 pack back happy with top half thou x "

Home workouts have really worked well for so many people, well done. I am sure you will get the results you want.

NBVN x

"Purchased an adjustable exercise bench and cast iron adjustable dumbbell / barbell set to 50kg. Doing home training regime 4-5x a week paired with actual gym going 2-3x a week for specific exercises that I can't do at home.

I've a form to maintain and enhance "

This is great news, well done

NBVN x

"Went back to the gym for the first time in 6 months. Had 2 workouts and happy to find out I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was. "

Congratulations, that's always a welcome result. Keep up the good work and use this to keep your enthusiasm.

NBVN x

"Blimey. You lot make me wanna get up off this sofa! Almost!"

I know, aren't they wonderful and inspirational.

NBVN x

By *lueeyedblonde78Woman  over a year ago

Huddersfield

I was back up to half marathon distance running but picked up a chest infection so taking it easy until its gone. Focus is on the training plan for 53 mile event mid June so 4 runs a week plus at leat one strength gym session.

Short yoga session each evening. That's the plan anyways. Heading back in the surf just as soon as I'm less stiff. Lost it all in 2021 after long covid.

Any recommendations for 10 min beginners yoga vids on yootoob?

"I was back up to half marathon distance running but picked up a chest infection so taking it easy until its gone. Focus is on the training plan for 53 mile event mid June so 4 runs a week plus at leat one strength gym session."

As a fellow runner I know only too well how a set back feels when you're focused on a training plan. You have done everything right, well done and best wishes for your 53 miles in June...super happy for you

NBVN x

"Short yoga session each evening. That's the plan anyways. Heading back in the surf just as soon as I'm less stiff. Lost it all in 2021 after long covid.

Any recommendations for 10 min beginners yoga vids on yootoob? "

I hope you're feeling OK, glad to hear you're getting your fitness back.

There are lots of yoga vids on YouTube, we do yoga for runners but there so many others to choose from. I am sure someone else will offer a suggestion too.

NBVN x

Thank you.

I do love my fitbit clone and aim for 10k steps a day before 5pm. It helps motivate me.

I do miss jogging. Dodgy knee. Just found out my local Xercise4Less gym in Swansea has closed down. Bugger. It used to be great value

"Thank you.

I do love my fitbit clone and aim for 10k steps a day before 5pm. It helps motivate me.

I do miss jogging. Dodgy knee. Just found out my local Xercise4Less gym in Swansea has closed down. Bugger. It used to be great value"

Have you found an alternative gym or will you just continue with the walking for now?

NBVN x

» Add a new message to this topic