FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Social media blackout

Social media blackout

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ea monkey OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

If you haven’t heard of this, this is where many/most professional sporting bodies, clubs and professionals are planning on a social media blackout for four days to help combat abuse online.

What are your thoughts on this and do you think that it will help?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I'm not sure how that helps really. I don't track how often big organisations post online.

Tougher laws are needed to show people its not acceptable. Actual consequences for peoples actions.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Unfortunately the trolls will find others to abuse. while their favourite person they normally spout abuse at is away..

Just like a bully moving onto a new victim once they know their original victim isn't scared anymore...

Manchester (he/him)

"Unfortunately the trolls will find others to abuse. while their favourite person they normally spout abuse at is away..

Just like a bully moving onto a new victim once they know their original victim isn't scared anymore..."

I’m inclined to agree.

How do you think that it can be solved?

I think that part of the problem is that there’s little to no accountability on SM (the same as here) and people shorn of reprisal or accountability can be nasty creatures

Manchester (he/him)

"I'm not sure how that helps really. I don't track how often big organisations post online.

Tougher laws are needed to show people its not acceptable. Actual consequences for peoples actions. "

I don’t think that 4 days will change much but I think that it’s more the stance than the time and the attention that it draws

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

It won't change the people posting offensive material but it might make those companies apply more restrictive algorithms. I'm very wary of too much censorship

It highlights the problem and that can only be a good thing.

As for solving it, it'll take the social media companies doing something to combat that.

I’m glad I experienced life before social media and modern technology, cause then at least you have a foundation for the things that matter.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I’m glad I experienced life before social media and modern technology, cause then at least you have a foundation for the things that matter."

Hell yes. This is so true.

"Unfortunately the trolls will find others to abuse. while their favourite person they normally spout abuse at is away..

Just like a bully moving onto a new victim once they know their original victim isn't scared anymore...

I’m inclined to agree.

How do you think that it can be solved?

I think that part of the problem is that there’s little to no accountability on SM (the same as here) and people shorn of reprisal or accountability can be nasty creatures"

Until social media companies are able to verify accounts properly somehow so that they can permanently ban these users then I can't see how.

Otherwise as like fab it's just a merry-go-round of making accounts and deleting etc etc.

Manchester (he/him)

"It won't change the people posting offensive material but it might make those companies apply more restrictive algorithms. I'm very wary of too much censorship"

Isn’t censorship in this circumstance a good thing?

Manchester (he/him)

"I’m glad I experienced life before social media and modern technology, cause then at least you have a foundation for the things that matter."

I’m sure that the luddites felt exactly the same way. Like it or not, social media is a huge cultural fulcrum

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

It’s about raising the profile of the problem and an attempt to persuade the platforms to take stronger measures against the abusers. It’s not just the clubs but the players individual accounts that are going to be silent

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

If they want to do something about this serious problem they should come off social media altogether until the companies which run them change their rules.

"I’m glad I experienced life before social media and modern technology, cause then at least you have a foundation for the things that matter.

I’m sure that the luddites felt exactly the same way. Like it or not, social media is a huge cultural fulcrum"

I’m not a Luddite, I embrace things that enhance our lives, I don’t think the two are compatible, social media doesn’t make anything, it has no practical use. Not all progress is good, thinking it is doesn’t make you open minded, it shows naivety.

Manchester (he/him)

"I’m glad I experienced life before social media and modern technology, cause then at least you have a foundation for the things that matter.

I’m sure that the luddites felt exactly the same way. Like it or not, social media is a huge cultural fulcrum

I’m not a Luddite, I embrace things that enhance our lives, I don’t think the two are compatible, social media doesn’t make anything, it has no practical use. Not all progress is good, thinking it is doesn’t make you open minded, it shows naivety. "

No, not all progress is good but also just because you don’t think it’s a good thing, doesn’t mean that it’s not

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

"It won't change the people posting offensive material but it might make those companies apply more restrictive algorithms. I'm very wary of too much censorship

Isn’t censorship in this circumstance a good thing? "

It's tricky. For example, I've seen forum members take offence to comments that have left other members utterly bewildered as to why. Reflects life. People have different levels of tolerance. Do we cater to the lowest level? I'm sure there are those that are too scared to post incase someone somewhere will take offence.

I’m not a Luddite, I embrace things that enhance our lives, I don’t think the two are compatible, social media doesn’t make anything, it has no practical use. Not all progress is good, thinking it is doesn’t make you open minded, it shows naivety.

No, not all progress is good but also just because you don’t think it’s a good thing, doesn’t mean that it’s not"

I didn’t say it wasn’t a good thing for other people, I was talking from a personal level, growing up, I think I would have struggled mentally with social media and some modern technology, so to me it wouldn’t have been a good thing. But as an adult I’m better equipped to deal with these things, so to Reiterate my point, no social media and modern technology wouldn’t be good for me if I was growing up now, I’m glad I was blissfully unaware of things when I was younger.

Idiots will always find a way to abuse and hurt others internet or not.

My opinion is if you know these things happen on social media and you don't like it, don't join it.

Simple as that. No point complaining if your feeding the animals.

People know they gonna get a rise out of you they will continue.

Don't sign up to it.

The sentiment is a good one but I don't think it will help until people start taking responsibility for their own behaviour and actions.

Manchester (he/him)

No, not all progress is good but also just because you don’t think it’s a good thing, doesn’t mean that it’s not

I didn’t say it wasn’t a good thing for other people, I was talking from a personal level, growing up, I think I would have struggled mentally with social media and some modern technology, so to me it wouldn’t have been a good thing. But as an adult I’m better equipped to deal with these things, so to Reiterate my point, no social media and modern technology wouldn’t be good for me if I was growing up now, I’m glad I was blissfully unaware of things when I was younger. "

Thats fair

"The sentiment is a good one but I don't think it will help until people start taking responsibility for their own behaviour and actions."

I doubt very much that the people that spout abuse and hate via social media would do it direct to someone's face

Manchester (he/him)

"Idiots will always find a way to abuse and hurt others internet or not.

My opinion is if you know these things happen on social media and you don't like it, don't join it.

Simple as that. No point complaining if your feeding the animals.

People know they gonna get a rise out of you they will continue.

Don't sign up to it. "

Is that possible? Can companies avoid SM and should it be the case that those making the abuse effectively force others offline?

You seem to be saying that anyone who is liable to be hurt by abuse shouldn’t go online?

But they'll add more posts online during a shorter period after the 4 days , giving the trolls gesture pleasure when playing catch up. Social media shouldn't exist.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"If you haven’t heard of this, this is where many/most professional sporting bodies, clubs and professionals are planning on a social media blackout for four days to help combat abuse online.

What are your thoughts on this and do you think that it will help? "

My thoughts are. It's a pathetic waste of time. It's not as if we need to awareness. What we need are the platforms to get off their arses and take an action. And there is only one action that will fix it. Address the anonymity. What would make a difference is if they actually pulled their presence from it entirely or insisted on simple rules around anonymous posters. Or they were fined for enabling it. Like... Anonymous Can read but can't post unless you're identified by credit card or something similar.

But we do seem to love a good meaningless protest at the moment. #lookatmeimprotesting

Tin town

"But they'll add more posts online during a shorter period after the 4 days , giving the trolls gesture pleasure when playing catch up. Social media shouldn't exist."

Spot on

Manchester (he/him)

"It won't change the people posting offensive material but it might make those companies apply more restrictive algorithms. I'm very wary of too much censorship

Isn’t censorship in this circumstance a good thing?

It's tricky. For example, I've seen forum members take offence to comments that have left other members utterly bewildered as to why. Reflects life. People have different levels of tolerance. Do we cater to the lowest level? I'm sure there are those that are too scared to post incase someone somewhere will take offence."

That’s true but also, we don’t know peoples triggers or their history. Is it offensive if a survivor of abuse is angered by a comment or a LGBTQ person disliking the word ‘fag’?

It’s not about the lowest level in many instances and I’ve often found that some people who complain that they can’t speak their mind are actually complaining because they can’t say something offensive.

Manchester (he/him)

"But they'll add more posts online during a shorter period after the 4 days , giving the trolls gesture pleasure when playing catch up. Social media shouldn't exist."

A bold statement! So long fab!

Manchester (he/him)

"If you haven’t heard of this, this is where many/most professional sporting bodies, clubs and professionals are planning on a social media blackout for four days to help combat abuse online.

My thoughts are. It's a pathetic waste of time. It's not as if we need to awareness. What we need are the platforms to get off their arses and take an action. And there is only one action that will fix it. Address the anonymity. What would make a difference is if they actually pulled their presence from it entirely or insisted on simple rules around anonymous posters. Or they were fined for enabling it. Like... Anonymous Can read but can't post unless you're identified by credit card or something similar.

But we do seem to love a good meaningless protest at the moment. #lookatmeimprotesting"

I do tend to agree. Making people accountable for their words and actions online would seem to be the only resolution but that opens up a whole other can of worms!

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

I didn’t say it wasn’t a good thing for other people, I was talking from a personal level, growing up, I think I would have struggled mentally with social media and some modern technology, so to me it wouldn’t have been a good thing. But as an adult I’m better equipped to deal with these things, so to Reiterate my point, no social media and modern technology wouldn’t be good for me if I was growing up now, I’m glad I was blissfully unaware of things when I was younger. "

Having used the internet since first when dial up etc. The number of chat rooms that started as getting people together with the same interests . Music etc. Now all shut down . This due to the isp providers being unable to moderate the chat rooms. Yes there are newer versions. The younger generations. Teens etc are always looking for , if they post something , how many “ likes “ they get. It is very easy for bulling to take place. Setting up new emails etc , can be done in minutes. Tracing the trolls is near impossible. Most will be using a vpn , so again people can hide behind. I am not sure how to get around this .

Tin town

But we do seem to love a good meaningless protest at the moment. #lookatmeimprotesting

I do tend to agree. Making people accountable for their words and actions online would seem to be the only resolution but that opens up a whole other can of worms! "

Sometimes the answer is so simple and blindingly obvious. The fear is who blinks first. If the platforms won't do it then the govt need to ban it. Stop the meaningless protests and take action.

I don't understand why some of the organisations don't launch their own platform that does not permit anonymous posters. It's not as if its a massive tech overhead now.

Manchester (he/him)

I do tend to agree. Making people accountable for their words and actions online would seem to be the only resolution but that opens up a whole other can of worms!

Sometimes the answer is so simple and blindingly obvious. The fear is who blinks first. If the platforms won't do it then the govt need to ban it. Stop the meaningless protests and take action.

I don't understand why some of the organisations don't launch their own platform that does not permit anonymous posters. It's not as if its a massive tech overhead now. "

That’s true but how would it be policed and under which country’s laws? Is giving Google, FB, Twitter, et al more personal information the way forwards? Especially as users aren’t the customers, they’re the merchandise in SM

I believe it's being done to draw people's attention to it more than thinking it'll have an actual effect ... and I, personally, applaud them for especially as it has got people talking about it!!

Big changes come from little steps ...

Last weekend a 13 year old boy playing football was racially abused by a player on the opposing team. This is learned behaviour and initiatives like this weekend highlight that it is wrong and needs to be stopped.

Tin town

I don't understand why some of the organisations don't launch their own platform that does not permit anonymous posters. It's not as if its a massive tech overhead now.

That’s true but how would it be policed and under which country’s laws? Is giving Google, FB, Twitter, et al more personal information the way forwards? Especially as users aren’t the customers, they’re the merchandise in SM "

I'm absolutely sure that those giant brains can solve this in 5 minutes if they were motivated to. And legally it would have to be in the countries jurisdiction. Take a meaningful action, take the first step or it will never make a difference. These are corporate entities not imaginary super beings that can't be touched.

By *ddie_72Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

If it throws light on the racist scum of the earth in todays society then all good. Twitter is so much better without scum like Trump. Action and small victories count. And hopefully it will lead to more people challenging the racists in day to day life. Their views should never be legitimised otherwise it becomes a race to the bottom. Farage comes to mind.

Manchester (he/him)

"Last weekend a 13 year old boy playing football was racially abused by a player on the opposing team. This is learned behaviour and initiatives like this weekend highlight that it is wrong and needs to be stopped. "

This is true.

I do find it interesting though that last summer an awful lot of people were questioning the BLM protests and stating how ‘there isn’t a problem here’, yet here we are...

Tin town

That’s true but how would it be policed and under which country’s laws? Is giving Google, FB, Twitter, et al more personal information the way forwards? Especially as users aren’t the customers, they’re the merchandise in SM

I'm absolutely sure that those giant brains can solve this in 5 minutes if they were motivated to. And legally it would have to be in the countries jurisdiction. Take a meaningful action, take the first step or it will never make a difference. These are corporate entities not imaginary super beings that can't be touched. "

And as for more information... Really? So the posts are made from a handset that has an airtime contract that has an account attached to it. From which we use any of the platforms that know to the nearest 1m where you are stood. You use a media plahform that has to be registered for. All the details are already there.

Manchester (he/him)

I do wonder if these piecemeal approaches are only putting plasters on gun wounds. If these approaches are only going to force abusers/racists onto other platforms or into echo chambers.

How can we address the root issue?

Tin town

"Last weekend a 13 year old boy playing football was racially abused by a player on the opposing team. This is learned behaviour and initiatives like this weekend highlight that it is wrong and needs to be stopped.

This is true.

I do find it interesting though that last summer an awful lot of people were questioning the BLM protests and stating how ‘there isn’t a problem here’, yet here we are..."

Of course there a problem and not just with racist abuse. This is about so much more. But if people think a few people not spending a few minutes on their handsets for a few days is going to do anything about it they are deluded. The footballer above wasn't abused because of twitter and its naive to think that was the cause. People don't need to be told its wrong.. They know it's wrong. They need to have consequences that make them change behaviour.

As for blm last summer, they lost a good amount of legitimacy once they started vandalising and breaking the law. We don't need more awareness, we need more action.

Tin town

"I do wonder if these piecemeal approaches are only putting plasters on gun wounds. If these approaches are only going to force abusers/racists onto other platforms or into echo chambers.

How can we address the root issue? "

I think you have a point. But if it forces them away from one platform then people will presumably like to be associated with a platform that can say its taking an action.? Equally people need to start thinking a bit more about the whole concept. So perhaps monetising social media clicks is a contributor? And perhaps some people / influences need to reflect upon if they are also enabling the problem.

Take away their football and they can't play. Remove the anonymity. Fine the platforms and advertisers who sustain the abuse and it will stop on that platform.

There are two causes

1-: thinking it’s ok to make abusive comments

2-: knowing it’s wrong but believing that the chances of being caught and subsequent consequences are non existent.

Tin town

"There are two causes

1-: thinking it’s ok to make abusive comments

2-: knowing it’s wrong but believing that the chances of being caught and subsequent consequences are non existent. "

I think it's more complicated than that... There are after all some sinister organisations with destabilising agendas and there are also groups that push agendas but your 2nd point is spot on....and is protected and caused by anonymity. If registration to a credit card to post any comment was obligatory it would be fixed at a stroke. Kids would have to register on their parents / guardians.

At a stroke youd have a responsible social media platform and the wild jungle of the irresponsible... Step in knowing what you're getting into.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

visiting the beach

UNESCO have just released a report about "online violence" towards female journalists.

Some of the extracts I've seen are horrendous.

» Add a new message to this topic