FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > taekwondo politics!!

taekwondo politics!!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

i have just been reading up on the Aaron Cook situation in the taekwondo selection argument.

now i have no knowledge of the sport or its structure but reading what i have, i am leaning towards his side of the street feeling that he was overlooked purely because he decided to opt out of the recognised GB development programme and go it alone. His subsequent success under his own training and development programme suggest that this has worked and surely we should be taking our best athletes to the games??

A big well done to Lutalo Muhammad for his bronze medal and i feel for him after the abuse he has received from some quarters, for something that wasnt his fault.

Do people think that GB taekwondo were justified in their selection or could Cook have gone further and made the final?? or were they just pissed off that their development programme didnt work for him but his own did and the decision was politically motivated?

as i said, i have no in depth knowledge so welcome other views.

discuss

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

okay..... the other arguement that was put forward is that there has been a change in some of the scoring rules (the electronic pads, the scoring area, and video replay/appeals) that would benefit the style of muhammad...

i felt sorry for both cook, and muhammad for having to go thru this.... and the british taekwondo federation handled it really badly.....

they could have had a fight off for the place.. and muhammad and cook were happy to do this, but the federation didn't want to....

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't know if many remember how Bruce Lee decided to teach his own method of Martial Arts but he was pretty much ostracised by the established masters of the art until he became so famous that they couldn't ignore him any longer. Martial Arts is not just about fighting, there is a whole culture of discipline and respect built into it and to step outside of that is considered to be saying, "Stuff you!" to the established order. If you watched the Taekwondo at the Olympics you should have noticed that almost all of the judges were Japanese (not match referees), and there is a lot of bowing going on.

I think it's appalling. The Federation is simply 'protecting' it's development programme, in my opinion. I feel sorry for both fighters, people will always wonder whether Cook would have got gold.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I think it's appalling. The Federation is simply 'protecting' it's development programme, in my opinion. I feel sorry for both fighters, people will always wonder whether Cook would have got gold. "

the federation do come out of it looking like amateurs in every sense of the word..

5 live guy said yesterday that cook had beaten mohammed's opponent twice in the last 12 months..

we will never know how far cook may have gone..

mohammed did well with all the pressure etc, scumbags who sent hate mail should be prosecuted..

"I don't know if many remember how Bruce Lee decided to teach his own method of Martial Arts but he was pretty much ostracised by the established masters of the art until he became so famous that they couldn't ignore him any longer. Martial Arts is not just about fighting, there is a whole culture of discipline and respect built into it and to step outside of that is considered to be saying, "Stuff you!" to the established order. If you watched the Taekwondo at the Olympics you should have noticed that almost all of the judges were Japanese (not match referees), and there is a lot of bowing going on."
So what have the Japaneese got to do with Tae Kwan Do???????

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I don't know if many remember how Bruce Lee decided to teach his own method of Martial Arts but he was pretty much ostracised by the established masters of the art until he became so famous that they couldn't ignore him any longer. Martial Arts is not just about fighting, there is a whole culture of discipline and respect built into it and to step outside of that is considered to be saying, "Stuff you!" to the established order. If you watched the Taekwondo at the Olympics you should have noticed that almost all of the judges were Japanese (not match referees), and there is a lot of bowing going on. So what have the Japaneese got to do with Tae Kwan Do???????"

exactly, its a Korean sport not japanese

i understand the issue of respect within the codes but in that case then surely the 'establishment' should respect that there may be a better development and training programme, and take that on board, rather than ignore someone who is clearly a world class player.

to the layman it just looks like an 'its my ball and we play it my way' type of argument and in my eyes it makes the establishment look unprofessional in the way it was handled.

Cook obviously felt he was not going to develop well enough within the system so went his own way. i dont think that sis 'sticking 2 fingers up' its a sportsman who desires the best training to become the best and i think the last year shows he made the right decision from a personal point of view and i think the association should have put the best interests of Team GB as a whole first and selected the better player.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

i heard commentator on bbc tv say that cook had been in to watch contests in the arena but on the day his weight/division was on he could not face coming in to see the contests that he felt he should be contesting!,sickening for him to be treated in this shabby amateurish way considering his record.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I don't know if many remember how Bruce Lee decided to teach his own method of Martial Arts but he was pretty much ostracised by the established masters of the art until he became so famous that they couldn't ignore him any longer. Martial Arts is not just about fighting, there is a whole culture of discipline and respect built into it and to step outside of that is considered to be saying, "Stuff you!" to the established order. If you watched the Taekwondo at the Olympics you should have noticed that almost all of the judges were Japanese (not match referees), and there is a lot of bowing going on."

think they are mainly Korean, it being a discipline from their country..

» Add a new message to this topic