FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Living in another country

Living in another country

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I needed some advice on moving to another country. Only Europe. Is it better to work for yourself or find a job out there? Are there any websites that can help the initial move? X

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

After Covid obvs lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Depends on which country and what you can do. I would suggest at first to find s job and acclimate yourself to their new ways of life, then you can start doing something else

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

I lived and worked in Malaysia for 10 years and enjoyed working for someone else.

It depends on you and the experiences you are looking for.

What would you rather do?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There are websites and stuff with that kind of thing - Expats Everywhere pops up on my YouTube suggestions from time to time.

Jobs - depends on the market, attitude/laws to digital/remote working, etc.

It's not something I'm looking to do, it's something I have done (I'm an immigrant), but make sure your immigration materials are 150% correct - these are not people and processes you want to be on the wrong side of.

By *ustyshowoffCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"I needed some advice on moving to another country. Only Europe. Is it better to work for yourself or find a job out there? Are there any websites that can help the initial move? X"

Not easy to answer

Working for someone else potentially offers greater security but self employed can be more rewarding.

It will vary a lot from country to country depending on what you intend to do.

Also bear in mind that moving to Europe isn’t quite as easy post Brexit, you will need visas and permits to work

Mark

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Read up on the country you want to move to immigration rules, I think that from January 1st UK citizens no longer have the automatic right to live in an EU country ?

A lot depends on your skill set, for example if you are a skilled handyman you might be able to set up on yourself in an expat community.

I think working for someone else might be better I initially so you have a guaranteed income.

What languages do you speak ?

Good luck

So I was looking at Portugal. I wanted somewhere close to home and good weather. Currently learning Portuguese, ive been there many times. But in the current climate job opportunities might be slim.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"So I was looking at Portugal. I wanted somewhere close to home and good weather. Currently learning Portuguese, ive been there many times. But in the current climate job opportunities might be slim. "

Follow your dreams, hope it works out for you

By *ustyshowoffCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"So I was looking at Portugal. I wanted somewhere close to home and good weather. Currently learning Portuguese, ive been there many times. But in the current climate job opportunities might be slim. "

Post Brexit you can only visit for 90 days in any 180 days. You would need to contact their immigration department to establish which residency visa and work permit you would need.

It’s a bit catch 22 because if you haven’t got a job to go to you have to prove that you can support yourself financially. If it’s anything like here in Cyprus you will also need a rental tenancy agreement and private medical insurance

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"So I was looking at Portugal. I wanted somewhere close to home and good weather. Currently learning Portuguese, ive been there many times. But in the current climate job opportunities might be slim.

Post Brexit you can only visit for 90 days in any 180 days. You would need to contact their immigration department to establish which residency visa and work permit you would need.

It’s a bit catch 22 because if you haven’t got a job to go to you have to prove that you can support yourself financially. If it’s anything like here in Cyprus you will also need a rental tenancy agreement and private medical insurance "

That’s my experience but you can often get in showing bank statements and private medical insurance and get 180 day tourist visa / VOA. Then sort out your opportunity’s in country, it can take a while to start a business then leave and re-enter with correct paperwork , that’s how I used to do it in New Zealand, I had a 4WD business for a few years.

» Add a new message to this topic