FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cookies

Cookies

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *partharmony OP   Couple  over a year ago

Ruislip

No, not the edible kind (which I would call biscuits, anyway) but the type on web sites that you get messages about when you first arrive at a site.

I used to just click OK to everything. Then I learned more about them and find them really creepy and invasive.

I bought a spice rack online a month ago and I'm still getting endless adverts for spice racks on YouTube, including for the one I already bought! I had an online conversation recently with somebody I know in Nigeria, and now I'm getting adverts for companies that do conversion for whatever the Nigerian currency is.

I feel like I'm being watched all the time for opportunities to extract money out of me. I don't like it. I consciously switch off all the cookies I can.

Do you switch cookies off or let them do their thing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I switch off third party cookies and have an adblocker.

Some websites may not work properly without cookies turned on (you can give those websites permission to leave cookies if you have cookies completely turned off). Essentially they are just a text file on your device.

By *ionaScarletTV/TS  over a year ago

Dundee

"No, not the edible kind (which I would call biscuits, anyway) but the type on web sites that you get messages about when you first arrive at a site.

I used to just click OK to everything. Then I learned more about them and find them really creepy and invasive.

I bought a spice rack online a month ago and I'm still getting endless adverts for spice racks on YouTube, including for the one I already bought! I had an online conversation recently with somebody I know in Nigeria, and now I'm getting adverts for companies that do conversion for whatever the Nigerian currency is.

I feel like I'm being watched all the time for opportunities to extract money out of me. I don't like it. I consciously switch off all the cookies I can.

Do you switch cookies off or let them do their thing?"

I use a different browser to most called Brave. Its got pretty much all the same functionality as chrome (its built on the chromium engine) but has better privacy tools.

It has a bunch of other nice features too, like Ecosia search integration and support for crytpo payments.

And its not some shonky back room thing facerolled out by tinfoil hat wearing crypto nerds. The CEO is Brendan Eich - the guy who created Javascript and used to be CEO of Mozilla, so there's serious levels of technical expertise behind this.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"No, not the edible kind (which I would call biscuits, anyway) but the type on web sites that you get messages about when you first arrive at a site.

Do you switch cookies off or let them do their thing?

I use a different browser to most called Brave. Its got pretty much all the same functionality as chrome (its built on the chromium engine) but has better privacy tools.

It has a bunch of other nice features too, like Ecosia search integration and support for crytpo payments.

And its not some shonky back room thing facerolled out by tinfoil hat wearing crypto nerds. The CEO is Brendan Eich - the guy who created Javascript and used to be CEO of Mozilla, so there's serious levels of technical expertise behind this.

"

On Android I use Bromite which is Chrome with all the Google stuff patched out and in-built adblocker and more secure settings switched on by default.

» Add a new message to this topic