FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > UK holiday aka big up your home town

UK holiday aka big up your home town

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tudiousPip OP   Woman  over a year ago

W Yorks

As summer approaches, and foreign hols look unlikely, more of us are going to holiday in the UK this year. There are the obvious beach hot spots and city breaks that folk will be fighting over; but what about the overlooked places?

Why should I spend a weekend where you live? What's interesting to visit, fun to do etc

This is NOT a hook up request! If the best thing about your home town/city is your penis please don't answer. Please don't get my thread locked!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *en_Dover79Man  over a year ago

Oswaldtwistle

"As summer approaches, and foreign hols look unlikely, more of us are going to holiday in the UK this year. There are the obvious beach hot spots and city breaks that folk will be fighting over; but what about the overlooked places?

Why should I spend a weekend where you live? What's interesting to visit, fun to do etc

This is NOT a hook up request! If the best thing about your home town/city is your penis please don't answer. Please don't get my thread locked! "

we actually have a 5 star hotel in my town... bugger all else to see or do though haha

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oldest recorded Town in UK ! One time Roman capital but burned to the ground by vengeful Boudeica

- the layer of ashes can still be seen in places.

We have more canals than Venice

We have beer and Marmite.

And are as far inland as you can get!

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

It's a lovely place to live but not sure it's somewhere that we would say to visit.

By *azza12Man  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Home of Rabbie Burns & Johnny Walker whisky so just get d*unk listening to a Burns poem and have lots of fun lol

Land of the six-fingered high five.

We have a thriving homeless community..

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

It is free to visit the Royal Armouries

Whitley rhymes with shitley, can you guess why?... because its shit.

Nah to be honest this place is like a ghost town.. nearly everything is shutting down... one or two pubs left but I reckon they wont last.

One of the largest brick structures in the world

Hat museum

Fred Perry's House

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Ummmmmmmm, can we get back to you on that one? *Desperately searches for positive things*

W Yorks

"We have more canals than Venice"

Yeah, but do you have gondolas?

Actually, I'd love to hire a narrow boat. But you can't really do it on your own! Locks take teamwork!

W Yorks

"One of the largest brick structures in the world

Hat museum

Fred Perry's House "

This is useful! I'm gonna have 4 hours to kill where you live shortly. That and a coffee might just about do it

Castles, beano, dandy, oor wullie, cake, jam, marmalade, V&A, me

Hat museum

Fred Perry's House

This is useful! I'm gonna have 4 hours to kill where you live shortly. That and a coffee might just about do it "

What are you doing for the other 3 1/2 hours

"We have more canals than Venice

Yeah, but do you have gondolas?

Actually, I'd love to hire a narrow boat. But you can't really do it on your own! Locks take teamwork! "

Not gondolas but plenty of shopping trollies to navigate in the narrow boat

W Yorks

Where did you go on day trips with primary school? That's the kind of local I'm talking about!

Though I've just remembered that we had an afternoon out at a local supermarket once (with maths based question sheets) and one to the brickworks that bought, and demolished, my infant school to expand... So it wasn't all steam railways and museums

By *asygoingguy82Man  over a year ago

bognor

I live in bognor regis,don't think I need to say anything more

W Yorks

Hat museum

Fred Perry's House

This is useful! I'm gonna have 4 hours to kill where you live shortly. That and a coffee might just about do it

What are you doing for the other 3 1/2 hours "

I might get a pastry...

That's 5 mins eating and at least 30 mins fishing flakes out of my cleavage

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Armley Mills, Kirkstall Abbey, Shibden Hall (Gentleman Jack), Howarth Parsonage (Bronte's), Yorkshire Sculpure Park, Yorkshire Mining Museum, Bradford Media Museum, Lotherton Bird Garden, Tropical World, Harewood House, Temple Newsam House and Farm, Leeds City Museum and Art Gallery

W Yorks

"Whitley rhymes with shitley, can you guess why?... because its shit.

Nah to be honest this place is like a ghost town.. nearly everything is shutting down... one or two pubs left but I reckon they wont last. "

That's so sad! And it's not something that makes the news. I live on the M62 corridor. We aren't particularly thriving, but we aren't actively dying as a community. I really feel for you!

Maybe I should visit the North East... Maybe we all should!

Castles and an ancient hill fort and being on the Welsh borders we're not far from scenic mountain ranges

Sheffield - The steel city, famous for its steel and silverware production museums and hamlets dotted all over... but also has plenty of green space 80 parks and ten minutes from the Peak District!

The nightlife is/was fantastic so many independent unique bars, clubs and craft beer pubs/breweries

Always live music playing in places home to some big names Def Leppard, Artic Monkeys, Human League, Joe Cocker, Pulp and many more...

Meadowhall if you like shopping centres

W Yorks

"Armley Mills, Kirkstall Abbey, Shibden Hall (Gentleman Jack), Howarth Parsonage (Bronte's), Yorkshire Sculpure Park, Yorkshire Mining Museum, Bradford Media Museum, Lotherton Bird Garden, Tropical World, Harewood House, Temple Newsam House and Farm, Leeds City Museum and Art Gallery"

I love Tropical World! I've taken so many friends there that I'm sure the staff think I'm a carer

North wales, the scenery, mountains, beaches, culture, space, nature the people, the language and many many more reasons

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Because it's Edinburgh.

W Yorks

"Castles and an ancient hill fort and being on the Welsh borders we're not far from scenic mountain ranges "

Am I expected to walk to appreciate the scenic mountain ranges?...

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Come to Peterborough - it has very nice........... erm

Also well known for it's............ erm.

OK - I live tgere. Maybe that's a good enough excuse.

W Yorks

"Because it's Edinburgh. "

I kind of included Edinburgh as one of the usual city breaks folk will be fighting over...

But if you know of something that tourists should be doing but don't, please share!

I do love Edinburgh. Gorgeous city! And if you're up for a house guest when the festival is on... I'm toilet trained and know how to wash up

By *icola2202Couple  over a year ago

Chatham

Steer clear of Medway in Kent I live here it’s like the fucking bronx lol

"Castles and an ancient hill fort and being on the Welsh borders we're not far from scenic mountain ranges

Am I expected to walk to appreciate the scenic mountain ranges?... "

I'll drive you, will even buy the chips

The home of Damien Hirst’s Verity statue which is taller than The angel of the North. It looks so much worst in reality.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Malmesbury; it's got an Abbey where in one of the graves are the remains of a person killed by a lion from a visiting circus and a garden that's open to the public where the couple that own it wonder around naked... A must see for anyone coming to the Cotswalds.

W Yorks

"Castles and an ancient hill fort and being on the Welsh borders we're not far from scenic mountain ranges

Am I expected to walk to appreciate the scenic mountain ranges?...

I'll drive you, will even buy the chips "

That's a frightening proposition!

Not the driving, not the meeting.

It's the offer of chips! Do your chippies do gravy? Curry sauce? Mushy peas? Am I going to be expected to eat chips adorned with nothing but ketchup? Do they come in a *shudder* cone?

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Because it's Edinburgh.

I kind of included Edinburgh as one of the usual city breaks folk will be fighting over...

But if you know of something that tourists should be doing but don't, please share!

I do love Edinburgh. Gorgeous city! And if you're up for a house guest when the festival is on... I'm toilet trained and know how to wash up "

You'd absolutely be welcome - Festival the best time to visit by a long way! It's so well-visited there aren't many hidden treasures, but I'm sure we could find one or two less well known attractions.

"Because it's Edinburgh.

I do love Edinburgh. Gorgeous city! And if you're up for a house guest when the festival is on... I'm toilet trained and know how to wash up "

We are in Edinburgh (ish). Decent pubs, people and Square sausage rolls. What more do people need?!

W Yorks

"

We are in Edinburgh (ish). Decent pubs, people and Square sausage rolls. What more do people need?!"

One of my earliest memories is of my uncle flattening sausages in a pan with a spatula saying, "Why did they make these bastards round?"

"

We are in Edinburgh (ish). Decent pubs, people and Square sausage rolls. What more do people need?!

One of my earliest memories is of my uncle flattening sausages in a pan with a spatula saying, "Why did they make these bastards round?" "

He sounds like a forward thinking man that would appreciate the four sided sausage!

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Right on the edge of the pennines above Manchester lots of walking trekking cycling around the moors lakes resevoirs yet less than 20 mins from city center . B&bs and campsites probly more famous for moorland fires and moors murders

Gosh arent we lucky to live herec

By *londie8399Couple  over a year ago

blackpool

We live in the lake district sells it self really always packed with tourist's

I’m not sure why anyone would want to come to my town apart from to see the church that’s as good as it gets

I'm going to put Plymouth up for consideration... not only do we have a fairly good shopping center for retail therapy we also are Britain's ocean city with wonderful walks along the barbican and the hooe with smeetons Tower (a lighthouse) that you can go up. We have the box museum which is worth a visit the deepest aquarium in Europe and as an added bonus we are a short trio away from some wonderful cornish beaches. Another plus we are not far from dartmoor if you enjoy country walks. Any of course I'm here

By *aptain VMan  over a year ago

Birstall, Leicester

Leicester

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

I try not to attract people to the area in the summer as you can hardly move through the crowds as it is. Go to Newquay, it has beaches, a interactive pirate place and a shop that will basically stick whatever you want with ice-cream and whizz it into a milkshake.

By *oneyand_ICouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"I try not to attract people to the area in the summer as you can hardly move through the crowds as it is. Go to Newquay, it has beaches, a interactive pirate place and a shop that will basically stick whatever you want with ice-cream and whizz it into a milkshake."

Seems to be the top destination this year

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"I try not to attract people to the area in the summer as you can hardly move through the crowds as it is. Go to Newquay, it has beaches, a interactive pirate place and a shop that will basically stick whatever you want with ice-cream and whizz it into a milkshake.

Seems to be the top destination this year "

Well the milkshakes are really really good

By *oneyand_ICouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"I try not to attract people to the area in the summer as you can hardly move through the crowds as it is. Go to Newquay, it has beaches, a interactive pirate place and a shop that will basically stick whatever you want with ice-cream and whizz it into a milkshake.

Seems to be the top destination this year

Well the milkshakes are really really good"

Might have to try

By *ittyandtheboyCouple  over a year ago

Back of the bins.

We have a good sized county town and we are also close to exmoor the blackdowns and the mendips. We’re also close to the sea at Minehead and to the south the Jurassic coast!

By *entlemenpipMan  over a year ago

not far

We where xcommunocated from the Catholic Church and as such at the time the rest of Britain for out raucous and debauched behaviour o and a Bishop who was sent to Investigate was stabbed and killed in the street

A good quality tyre factory, a barbers with a bar , 8 pubs , 3 clubs and a shit load of fast food and hair dressers

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I live in Northampton so.....

Erm.. I'm here

Other than that I got nothing sorry

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

We can't play, Bournemouth & Poole. Lesser known facts, Mary Shelly autor of Frankenstein is buried in a town centre church. Enid Blytons Famous five, is based on scenes around the Perbecks and Brownsie Island.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I’m surrounded by the moors, gorgeous but I only want people up there that know how to look after it

By *asycouple777Couple  over a year ago

bristol

It’s got a nice sunset and beach

Do t go In The sea though

By *herry OnatopWoman  over a year ago

Just over there

Birthplace of British motor racing. Home of Alistair Crowley, Desmond Llwelyn, Spike Milligan, Eddie Izzard and the original swinger Earl De La Warr! First beach to allow mixed bathing and now a beautiful bustling though quiet seaside town with 3 miles of beautiful beach including a nudist section! Come visit me! We'll get ice cream and watch the best sunsets in the country!

By *ydia_LovegoodWoman  over a year ago

St. Ives

Gorgeous market town on the river, lovely people, lots of pubs and eateries, small independent shops, 20 minutes from Cambridge..

By *dward_TeagueMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

I’m bigging up Brum!

More Michelin starred restaurants than anywhere else in the country outside of London

The biggest Primark store in the world

Great bars, theatres and independent restaurants

Beautiful old buildings, interesting modern buildings. Great hotels and it’s so green!

There’s something for everyone.

There's a good choice of accommodation from camping/glamping to 4* b&b

Hadrian's wall is very close so could go play legionnaires

There is an old stone circle not far where we could make fire and dance around naked

Then to a local cosy pub where people will look at you as though you have two heads coz your not from around here

By *luebellRacerCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

Don't come here there's no hills or views. There's a big old castle, cathedral and lots of air force shizzle though

"We have a good sized county town and we are also close to exmoor the blackdowns and the mendips. We’re also close to the sea at Minehead and to the south the Jurassic coast! "

So you're basically saying that all the good things about Taunton are outside of Taunton

By *ittyandtheboyCouple  over a year ago

Back of the bins.

"We have a good sized county town and we are also close to exmoor the blackdowns and the mendips. We’re also close to the sea at Minehead and to the south the Jurassic coast!

So you're basically saying that all the good things about Taunton are outside of Taunton "

yea pretty much!

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

It’s very green

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

Who wouldn't want to spend a weekend in Derbados

Seriously though, it's a bit shit

Welcome to Farnborough.

Where the smell of drugs is everywhere.

Co2 cylinders litter the streets and shopping centres that are empty.

Most of the aircraft parts suppliers have abandoned for Thailand and plenty of affordable housing is being built on the old army land prices starting at 400,000 for a 2 bed flat.

One hour by train to London. Farnborough is your dream ticket for a horrible life.

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Lots to do here.

Historic dockyard, naval base, Charles Dickens birthplace, Southsea castle, Portchester castle, seafront, fun fair, theatres, loads of good independent shopping/eateries/pubs, Gunwharf quays, quick trip on the hover craft to the Isle of Wight, great for kitesurfing, paddle boarding, loads for the kids to do...

W Yorks

I guess I should do my home town!

An iron age settlement that spread to village size in the 17th century (part of my secondary school was built in the 1600s!). Boomed during the industrial revolution - the town itself was built almost from scratch by the Victorians.

Lovely architecture, several great Victorian parks (with bandstands that still have brass band performances some weekends, that's great to stumble upon!). The decline of heavy industry has seen a rise in breweries - many with a tap room attached!

Truly multicultural - never had a race riot here, even when neighbouring towns were kicking off. Name a cuisine and I can prob get it delivered from Just Eat! The town also hosts a fantastic food and drink festival every August.

The University gives the town additional vibrancy too. There's enough here to occupy a weekend - escape rooms, museums, shops, restaurants, walks etc. But we are stuck between Leeds and Manchester. So nobody looks at little old Huddersfield... It really is a lovely town!

And, if that doesn't do it for you, how's this? Home to both the UK's largest freestanding erection AND the longest, deepest and wettest (canal) tunnel. Come for the innuendo, stay for the welcome you got

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Not sure that I would recommend Scunthorpe as a tourist destination, but there's lots to do in the area.

In town we have a really good small museum and an art centre along with pretty churches, parks, gardens and woodland.

In the area we have.

Normanby Hall country park and farming museum.

The Humber Bridge

Thornton Curtis Abbey

Barton-upon-Humber has a historic church and 2 museums.

Blyton Icecream

Winteringham Fields - Michelin starred restaurant (I believe)

By *heMightySpud69Man  over a year ago

Milton keynes

You want roundabouts?!

We got 'em!!

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Torquay, why would I big up Torquay? It's just a town in the English Riviera, lovely views, lovely beaches, lots of stuff near by. No reason to big up Torquay.

W Yorks

"You want roundabouts?!

We got 'em!!"

Yay! I love roundabouts! Do they have the fibreglass horsies that go up and down?

Wait... Incoming information in my ear right now... Oh... Oh.... OK. You mean the boring roundabouts, don't you? For cars.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

"You want roundabouts?!

We got 'em!!

Yay! I love roundabouts! Do they have the fibreglass horsies that go up and down?

Wait... Incoming information in my ear right now... Oh... Oh.... OK. You mean the boring roundabouts, don't you? For cars. "

Swindon?

Milton keynes

"You want roundabouts?!

We got 'em!!

Wait... Incoming information in my ear right now... Oh... Oh.... OK. You mean the boring roundabouts, don't you? For cars. "

I'm rather afraid they are the boring ones! Milton Keynes

W Yorks

"You want roundabouts?!

We got 'em!!

Wait... Incoming information in my ear right now... Oh... Oh.... OK. You mean the boring roundabouts, don't you? For cars.

I'm rather afraid they are the boring ones! Milton Keynes"

I drive a convertible sports car... I did once pull up next to a boy racer at a roundabout when my roof was down and shouted "Scream if you want to go faster!" as I pulled out when he was afraid to go!

But I'm old enough to get cheap insurance without a black box and dash cam monitoring my every move

I'd love to have the body of a 25 yr old. But I'd hate to be a 25 yr old in 2021...

Milton keynes

"You want roundabouts?!

We got 'em!!

I drive a convertible sports car... I did once pull up next to a boy racer at a roundabout when my roof was down and shouted "Scream if you want to go faster!" as I pulled out when he was afraid to go!

But I'm old enough to get cheap insurance without a black box and dash cam monitoring my every move

I'd love to have the body of a 25 yr old. But I'd hate to be a 25 yr old in 2021... "

Yeah, fuck that!!

gotta find fun where you can!!

By *asilForty77Man  over a year ago

a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road

Woolwich arsenal and it's a dump

Grays has decent Indian and Turkish Restaurants, otherwise it’s a struggle to understand why it exists.

"You want roundabouts?!

We got 'em!!

I'd love to have the body of a 25 yr old. But I'd hate to be a 25 yr old in 2021... "

What car have you got

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I've carefully considered this for two days now, but am yet to find anything to recommend about the town in which we live. Sorry, OP. Try Bolton-by-Bowland instead

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

Devons shite stay away you bastards. It’s gonna rain all summer

We have five miles of golden sand beaches, historic pier, beautiful promenade and holiday resorts, won the blue flag beach award in 2019, a great place for paddle boarding or kite surfing it offers fun for all the family.... But also its Cleethorpes so I don't recommend lol, defo a one star costal town

"We have five miles of golden sand beaches, historic pier, beautiful promenade and holiday resorts, won the blue flag beach award in 2019, a great place for paddle boarding or kite surfing it offers fun for all the family.... But also its Cleethorpes so I don't recommend lol, defo a one star costal town "

A few early years holidays over there as a kid

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

We have more coffee shops in the town center than anywhere else in the world!

(not sure if this is true, but it definitely feels like every shop that opens is one)

Apart from that, we have a castle (and a castle ruins not too far away), some lovely parks, great rivers to kayak on and are surrounded by beautiful countryside.

By *helroyCouple  over a year ago

Skegness

skegness lovely beach shops and pubs

» Add a new message to this topic