FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Introducing a dog into a home with cat's

Introducing a dog into a home with cat's

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ampshirehotwife OP   Woman  over a year ago

Hampshire

I would really like a doggy,a little wuffa for company and walks.

But we have two cats one is the queen of the house and rules the roost and the other is a huge lump but the epitome of the phrase" scaredy-cat" am worried that a dog will upset the equilibrium and spoil my relationship with the cat's.

Anyone else had this issue and worked it out?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *pandjMan  over a year ago

Sparkford

Cats will end up resenting you and spending more time outside.

Dog will want to chase them either for fun or to protect their territory.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

We had two 5yo cats when we got a Spaniel pup. Absolutely mad she was, kept annoying the cats of course. So I thought it'd treat her a lesson to get a scratch on the nose...

One eyed puppy

£4k insurance claim

Still as loopy

But either way they soon settled in together, and one of the cats finally passed away at 17 last week.

By *ampshirehotwife OP   Woman  over a year ago

Hampshire

"We had two 5yo cats when we got a Spaniel pup. Absolutely mad she was, kept annoying the cats of course. So I thought it'd treat her a lesson to get a scratch on the nose...

One eyed puppy

£4k insurance claim

Still as loopy

But either way they soon settled in together, and one of the cats finally passed away at 17 last week. "

Crikey

By *luebellRacerCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

It doesn't sound like the ideal situation. We got our cat a few months before our first dog. Cat got first dibs of the house and used to each other when they were small.

Cat has his safe space upstairs, dogs aren't fussed by cats. However, we now have a cat that bullies the 50kg dog he'll sit with his ball and wait for his to come near to swipe

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

When we moved in with my mum I had a young dog and she had 4 mature cats. They surrounded him and roughed him up. Cats are feisty. They always seem to end up “top dog”.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Have a cat when got the dogs she was fine! As long as they knew their place x

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I have a cat. When my dad first brought his puppy around the cat wasn't impressed and either hid or hissed when she came near him. However, once he realised she was scared of him, that was that. Now they're adorable little buddies and nap together on the sofa. The cat is very happy being the boss .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

it will upset the balance completely unless you split your house into a dog and cat part.

By *abonWoman  over a year ago

L’boro/Ashby & Cheltenham

Get a puppy, and the cats will show it where it stands in the pecking order. Just not a prey-seeking breed. Use a stair gate so the cats have a safe dog-free zone, and keep their food in a high place.

It’ll be fine

Definitely get a puppy, the cat will soon put it in its place! Never had a problem introducing cats and dogs as long as the new comer is a baby!

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Consider the breed carefully, nothing that is prey driven.

Invest in baby gates. Crate train the dog.

Make sure the cats have escape routes/hidey holes/tall cat tree/instant access to outside.

It can be done, but slowly and carefully.

By *offiaCoolWoman  over a year ago

Kidsgrove

When I had a cat previously, we brought in two small puppies. They ran at the cat, the cat swiped their noses. The puppies never bothered the cat again.

The cats will be pissed off with you, but they’ll get over it. I would make sure the cats food/feeding time is protected from the dog; else the cats won’t get any food

My two cats don’t want to mix with my little dog. She would like to be friends and I had her tested for cats before I bought her.

One of the cats tolerates her but the other one is scared so in the daytime the cats stay in the second bedroom and go out the window to the garden and the dog has the living room.

At night I put the dog in her crate for bed and the cats go where they want and sleep on my bed.

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

Always had both.

With dogs they have always been young when introduced to one another (6mth + under).

With cats, well we seem to bring them home at various ages, most via them being abandoned at vets.

The cats have no issues telling a dog off at all, most cats are swines to dogs, talking random swipes when they please.

Had a colliexspaniel last & it would herd my cats f she heard a psst noise, she'd then try round up cats always resulting in a sore nose & her barking at cat as if she wasnt being an asshole! (Noise was banned in my house cos set off the dog sooo much).

Had a cat when young who had a german shepard/alsatian petrified of it.

Long as the cats have places to hide, dog isn't a prey type (terriers, lurcher, grey hound, whippet mostly) they should be fine, even with the above breeds if they are raised together there is rarely an issue.

» Add a new message to this topic