FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Caterpillars and Aldi...

Caterpillars and Aldi...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *phrodite OP   Woman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Anybody following the online spat between Aldi and M & S? It is quite hilarious and by the sound of it, may lead to funds for charity...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Seems all M&S have managed to do is draw attention to to how many cheaper caterpillar cake options there are out there.

By *phrodite OP   Woman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Seems all M&S have managed to do is draw attention to to how many cheaper caterpillar cake options there are out there."
True - And just because they were trying to fight Aldi...

The online exchange is so funny, it is a completely new form of advertising and brand marketing.

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

I’ve loved reading about this. It’s awesome marketing and really good fun. Very clever

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Caterpillars for charity being the new thing, Aldi are returning Cuthbert to the shelves just for this

It’s fun to follow and some of the memes being created into previous headlines. Cuthbert even has his own Twitter account now

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

looks a bit sickly all that icing but its funny

i've found myself roaring at some of the exchanges

aldi's online media people need a raise! Px

Curly the caterpillar cake my nephew's get me one every year

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

If I understand correctly, legally, M&S are required to defend their intellectual property, even if they can't or won't win the social media vote.

By *winkleFairyCouple  over a year ago

UK

It might be cheaper, but apparently some foodie did a taste test of all the different supermarket caterpillar cakes and Aldi was right down at the bottom.

They do this with so many products. Some of the skin care / makeup stuff is outrageous in how blatantly the packaging is copied and the actual products are nothing like the original.

Manchester (she/her)

"It might be cheaper, but apparently some foodie did a taste test of all the different supermarket caterpillar cakes and Aldi was right down at the bottom.

They do this with so many products. Some of the skin care / makeup stuff is outrageous in how blatantly the packaging is copied and the actual products are nothing like the original. "

They definitely do take the piss.

As funny as it is it must be a pisstake that all the Supermarkets are in on

I saw Aldi tagging M&S in a post about raising money for cancer charities so maybe this is all a big build up to that

"It might be cheaper, but apparently some foodie did a taste test of all the different supermarket caterpillar cakes and Aldi was right down at the bottom.

They do this with so many products. Some of the skin care / makeup stuff is outrageous in how blatantly the packaging is copied and the actual products are nothing like the original. "

I do think some of the rip off items are just completely terribly unimaginative. I don’t select particular brands over others for one particular reason but if anything it puts me off when there are some items that just look like cheap imitations. Plus it works both ways - sometimes it must piss companies off, other times it just looks like such bad marketing it helps promote the original.

Evie did a thread about it the other day. I hadn't heard of it so went looking.

Absolutely fantastic responses from Aldi! Really unfortunate for M&S as they are just looking petty when there's so many other similar caterpillar cakes.

But the invite from Aldi to M&S to do the charity thing is a great idea.

Perhaps this was their original plan. Aldi and M&S working together behind the scenes.

Much like the Oasis bloke slagging off Lewis Capaldi and making him famous.

"As funny as it is it must be a pisstake that all the Supermarkets are in on

I saw Aldi tagging M&S in a post about raising money for cancer charities so maybe this is all a big build up to that"

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I saw Aldi tagging M&S in a post about raising money for cancer charities so maybe this is all a big build up to that"

It's face saving and a rather clever but cynical stab at M&S, the gloves are clearly off.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I love the mini Colins

Aldi have smashed it on the social media front. They have made M&S look like idiots.

#freecuthbert

I saw Aldi tagging M&S in a post about raising money for cancer charities so maybe this is all a big build up to that

It's face saving and a rather clever but cynical stab at M&S, the gloves are clearly off. "

i dont think aldi ever needed to save face , literally every supermarket does own brand version of practically every branded product in store , it just happens to be that colin is made by another supermarket rather than a brand that dont have their own retail outlet

m&s have made themselves look so much worse with the petty response to the charity idea tbh - they really can’t read a room

It's face saving and a rather clever but cynical stab at M&S, the gloves are clearly off.

i dont think aldi ever needed to save face , literally every supermarket does own brand version of practically every branded product in store , it just happens to be that colin is made by another supermarket rather than a brand that dont have their own retail outlet

m&s have made themselves look so much worse with the petty response to the charity idea tbh - they really can’t read a room "

I saw the M&S response last night. Aldi have won this.

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Mold

"Anybody following the online spat between Aldi and M & S? It is quite hilarious and by the sound of it, may lead to funds for charity..."

We should set up a sploshing event where we can have a Colin and Cuthbert "eat off"

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

"If I understand correctly, legally, M&S are required to defend their intellectual property, even if they can't or won't win the social media vote. "

I wondered why they haven't done it with other rip offs though. Sainsbury's absolutely ripped Colin of years ago, so I wondered if, presuming they had not chased this too, that'd be proof of them not protecting their IP previously.

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

Whats funny is i've bought caterpillar cakes from Tesco, asda, morrisons.

Funny how just aldi get sued, they all look the damn same & not many bugs are classed as cute, don't think anyone would by edgar the earwig do ya.

Manchester (she/her)

"If I understand correctly, legally, M&S are required to defend their intellectual property, even if they can't or won't win the social media vote.

I wondered why they haven't done it with other rip offs though. Sainsbury's absolutely ripped Colin of years ago, so I wondered if, presuming they had not chased this too, that'd be proof of them not protecting their IP previously."

It is an odd one. I don't know.

» Add a new message to this topic