FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Females

Females

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ntrepid Explorers OP   Couple  over a year ago

Birmingham

Anyone else hate women being called females? It used to be seen to be the language of stinky mouth breathing nerds living in their parents basements, but over the last... 5-10 years it's become so normal somehow?! Same for male, but far less prevalent it seems. Male? Male what? Male Dog? Male Elephant? Oh Male Human? That's a man...

Let Female be the adjective it always had been!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm not keen on it

okay

Ummm never heard anyone say they found the word female horrible.

By *omptationMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Anyone else hate women being called females? It used to be seen to be the language of stinky mouth breathing nerds living in their parents basements, but over the last... 5-10 years it's become so normal somehow?! Same for male, but far less prevalent it seems. Male? Male what? Male Dog? Male Elephant? Oh Male Human? That's a man...

Let Female be the adjective it always had been!"

I guess it depends on the context. There is the difference between being called the "female half of a couple", and the "woman half of a couple". Both would technically be the same but it doesnt scan right.

I think a lot of the more common usage of the term female over woman is becuase the world is becomming more tran-acceptable (i myself have dated T-girls), but ultimately just describe yourself as you want be described, be it female, woman, duck, zucchini, whatever...

Birmingham

"Anyone else hate women being called females? It used to be seen to be the language of stinky mouth breathing nerds living in their parents basements, but over the last... 5-10 years it's become so normal somehow?! Same for male, but far less prevalent it seems. Male? Male what? Male Dog? Male Elephant? Oh Male Human? That's a man...

Let Female be the adjective it always had been!

I guess it depends on the context. There is the difference between being called the "female half of a couple", and the "woman half of a couple". Both would technically be the same but it doesnt scan right.

I think a lot of the more common usage of the term female over woman is becuase the world is becomming more tran-acceptable (i myself have dated T-girls), but ultimately just describe yourself as you want be described, be it female, woman, duck, zucchini, whatever...

"

Well, it doesn't scan as woman in a noun and female is an adjective. it literally doesn't make sense, and that's why it sounds weird... When you talk about a couple, female is doing it's correct thing, being an adjective.

Birmingham

"Ummm never heard anyone say they found the word female horrible."
I didn't either. Maybe read the context?

Yes, I can’t stand it.

Birmingham

The other massively important context of course... (Paul Ritter RIP...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZMNiiS0WiM

Any formal application your obliged to tick a box asking male or female, this really annoy's me as I hate being put in a box, but can anyone really tell me an alternative way of asking this question ??

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I agree. When I read passages like ‘looking for females’ or ‘females are sexy’ it makes my skin crawl.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

It doesn't bother me at all, unsure if it's because I'm a biologist and use it daily. It normally reminds me of the song female of the species by Space

Better female than ‘girl’. At my age I'm not a girl

I prefer lady or woman.

I hate the term female...makes me think of Ferengi in Star Trek

I hate the term women...makes me feel old and dull

Would say girl, but not sure everyone likes it

So...kickass amazonian goddess is the alternative, thank you!

Tabitha x

By *lice MaliceWoman  over a year ago

The Facility

I use whichever descriptor I feel works the best at the time for me.

"Ummm never heard anyone say they found the word female horrible.I didn't either. Maybe read the context?"

OK they hated the word female.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yeah when I read it as a noun my skin crawls and I immediately look for other red flags.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Different people like different things. Language is a minefield. I usually say woman or women. It sounds quite functional and unfriendly to me. Girl is more fun and friendly but can be seen as patronising. Female is correct but biological and impersonal.

In the absence of an obvious candidate word, I just accept different people say different things.

Let Female be the adjective it always had been!"

Like lots of things, your reaction to peoples descriptors are often an indicator of how well you match. I think whichever terms we use for anything, someone will disagree. Natural filtering at its finest.

Birmingham

"Different people like different things. Language is a minefield. I usually say woman or women. It sounds quite functional and unfriendly to me. Girl is more fun and friendly but can be seen as patronising. Female is correct but biological and impersonal.

In the absence of an obvious candidate word, I just accept different people say different things. "

With language evolving I get, and love, that words are there to mean what people want them to mean. And female can be used as a noun. so ehhhh I suppose it's sort of "correct", and we all *know* what the intent is in the language. But it seems some people literally don't understand the difference being pointed out, in terms of nouns and adjectives and such.

"you are a woman" - identifies your gender as a human

"you are female" - identifies your gender without species

"you are a female" - identifies their mum buys their pants... or it used to!

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

"Different people like different things. Language is a minefield. I usually say woman or women. It sounds quite functional and unfriendly to me. Girl is more fun and friendly but can be seen as patronising. Female is correct but biological and impersonal.

In the absence of an obvious candidate word, I just accept different people say different things.

With language evolving I get, and love, that words are there to mean what people want them to mean. And female can be used as a noun. so ehhhh I suppose it's sort of "correct", and we all *know* what the intent is in the language. But it seems some people literally don't understand the difference being pointed out, in terms of nouns and adjectives and such.

"you are a female" - identifies their mum buys their pants... or it used to!"

I take your point on the first two. I'm not sure about the third, but it made me laugh! ()

"you are a female" - identifies their mum buys their pants... or it used to!"

By *xhibitionisticvoyeurMan  over a year ago

wrexham

Thought this would be about Friday night dinner...

No, does not bother me unless I'm being referred to directly as one! Then I think they could have done better with a choice of words

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

Much prefer woman or lady x

Birmingham

"Thought this would be about Friday night dinner... "
It is, scroll up.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

On here it doesn't bother me as that's how we are described by the site.

If that's what they think is appropriate, then we can go along with it, the same as not replying to messages.

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

I noticed when Rachel Blackmore won the grand national much was said in the media of the first female jockey to win the race. I noticed however that interviews with people in racing referred to her as a lady jockey which struck me as nicer.

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

"Thought this would be about Friday night dinner... "

Nice bit of squirrel.

Birmingham

"I noticed when Rachel Blackmore won the grand national much was said in the media of the first female jockey to win the race. I noticed however that interviews with people in racing referred to her as a lady jockey which struck me as nicer. "

It's pretty sad if they had to labour the point she was female either way. Hopefully it was only in passing to acknowledge that interesting fact, and then let her be an talented individual rather than a statistic.

But in that context, I think female is far more appropriate in language. That's all getting closer to drifting towards gender politics, which really isn't anything to do with why it annoys me.

» Add a new message to this topic