FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Creative block

Creative block

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How do you get out of a creative block?

What do you do to inspire yourself?

I'm working on a tattoo design and my brief is very loose...usually great cos I get to flex my creative muscles...but I just dunno what to do with this one!

Lu

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Work around it if I can. Sing, dance, move. Go into nature and reflect (notepad with me in case inspiration strikes at an inconvenient moment, lol)

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I fiddle with playdoh and empty my mind of everything

By *ear in the chairMan  over a year ago

Godstone

Asking ideas from someone else oft triggers my imagination. It may not turn out anything like their idea but can give you that spark.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"How do you get out of a creative block?

I'm working on a tattoo design and my brief is very loose...usually great cos I get to flex my creative muscles...but I just dunno what to do with this one!

Lu "

An early morning walk and a sunrise x

"How do you get out of a creative block?

Lu

An early morning walk and a sunrise x"

Bit late for sunrise now...

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

There’s a famous writer who has a rule for this. For 6 hours each day he can either write or do absolutely nothing , he’s barred from doing any other activity as it just distracts. All the stuff were taught about brainstorming and divergent thinking is rubbish , if you look at the great creative masterpieces they all come about through very focussed thinking and refining..... so stare at the page and just draw

"There’s a famous writer who has a rule for this. For 6 hours each day he can either write or do absolutely nothing , he’s barred from doing any other activity as it just distracts. All the stuff were taught about brainstorming and divergent thinking is rubbish , if you look at the great creative masterpieces they all come about through very focussed thinking and refining..... so stare at the page and just draw "

Yeah....that really doesn't work for me

Why don’t you get your client to tell you what this tattoo really means to them, get them to talk passionately about what it represents

That might just give you the inspiration to translate that in to an image

Manchester (she/her)

"There’s a famous writer who has a rule for this. For 6 hours each day he can either write or do absolutely nothing , he’s barred from doing any other activity as it just distracts. All the stuff were taught about brainstorming and divergent thinking is rubbish , if you look at the great creative masterpieces they all come about through very focussed thinking and refining..... so stare at the page and just draw

Yeah....that really doesn't work for me "

I'd take this - except I write, so, different - and write around it. I want to do X. What is X, what are the different meanings of X?

I mean, yes, I'd brainstorm it! - because thinking of different strands or directions does work for me.

I read fiction. While I'm enjoying a story I'm analysing, luxuriatung in if the author is good, the structure of sentences, the choice of words, particularly adjectives.

I wonder if something similar can be done with art? Can perusing other artworks and their technical details produce a similar effect?

Whatever, if it's time for writing and I can't write, then reading is at least immersing myself in my chosen field of creativity.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

visiting the beach

Have a shower. Seriously, it's where I most often have flashes of inspiration.

However, as one can't be showering all day. Just throwing myself into something completely different also helps.

visiting the beach

"I read fiction. While I'm enjoying a story I'm analysing, luxuriatung in if the author is good, the structure of sentences, the choice of words, particularly adjectives.

I wonder if something similar can be done with art? Can perusing other artworks and their technical details produce a similar effect?

Whatever, if it's time for writing and I can't write, then reading is at least immersing myself in my chosen field of creativity. "

100%, as Picasso said "good artists borrow, great artists steal".

"Why don’t you get your client to tell you what this tattoo really means to them, get them to talk passionately about what it represents

That might just give you the inspiration to translate that in to an image "

She's one of my best mates...its a tattoo for her parents...who I also know really well so I'm there...i have ideas floating around and we've discussed the elements she wants...its just putting it all together. .I don't often find this part hard!

Manchester (she/her)

"I read fiction. While I'm enjoying a story I'm analysing, luxuriatung in if the author is good, the structure of sentences, the choice of words, particularly adjectives.

Whatever, if it's time for writing and I can't write, then reading is at least immersing myself in my chosen field of creativity. "

Yes

I'm getting somewhere now...i know what I'm doing I think

Whatever, if it's time for writing and I can't write, then reading is at least immersing myself in my chosen field of creativity.

"

Interesting, where do the lines of inspiration and influence become plagiarism!

I step away and come back to it ... I go for a walk look at other things and inspire myself from those

"I'm getting somewhere now...i know what I'm doing I think "

Yayyy!!!

"

That's an absolute no in the tattoo industry.

I'm often inspired by other tattooers work, but I won't copy. It's an asshole move to copy another artists work. Wouldn't do it. My tattoos are custom, unless it's Disney or summat

Manchester (she/her)

I'm often inspired by other tattooers work, but I won't copy. It's an asshole move to copy another artists work. Wouldn't do it. My tattoos are custom, unless it's Disney or summat "

Sure, but I think we all stand on the shoulders of giants. You might not copy, but the colour composition of X might make sense with the particular style of Y. (Look at me talking like I can draw )

I'm often inspired by other tattooers work, but I won't copy. It's an asshole move to copy another artists work. Wouldn't do it. My tattoos are custom, unless it's Disney or summat

Sure, but I think we all stand on the shoulders of giants. You might not copy, but the colour composition of X might make sense with the particular style of Y. (Look at me talking like I can draw )"

all art is inspired by other things...tattooing is it's own beast tho. I use techniques, ideas and colour palettes I may Ser from other artists, but the artwork is always my own.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I lost all my creativity years back.

Nothing I do can bring it back

Manchester (she/her)

Sure, but I think we all stand on the shoulders of giants. You might not copy, but the colour composition of X might make sense with the particular style of Y. (Look at me talking like I can draw )

all art is inspired by other things...tattooing is it's own beast tho. I use techniques, ideas and colour palettes I may Ser from other artists, but the artwork is always my own."

For sure. I write so - the fuck would I know but also related thought process. My character might riff off someone from here (weirder things have happened) with dialogue from a school friend and pacing from a novel I read as a child. I borrow, chuck it in a blender, and it becomes my own.

By *ffanotdykeCouple  over a year ago

Telford

At my age if I leave it more than 15 seconds I will have forgotten what I was thinking about and I'm off on another topic.

Now where was I?

Oh yes got to sort out the washing or was it the Hoover needs emptying.

Who knows or who cares.

Oh yes just remembered I need to go to the loo. So easy to forget at my age.

To clear or reboot you mind sit down with a HB pencil and a blank piece of paper and divide 22 by 7 which will give you the decimal equivalent of pi.

The number has an infinite remainder and will have you focused on nothing but the next remainder for sometime! I guarantee you will be ready to commence the creative process with renewed vigour.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Walk away and do something else for a bit

You can't force creativity...do something mundane and maybe it will come to you

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"I fiddle with playdoh and empty my mind of everything "

Is that what you call it?

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

"Why don’t you get your client to tell you what this tattoo really means to them, get them to talk passionately about what it represents

That might just give you the inspiration to translate that in to an image "

This was my thought too.

Well I pulled summat out my ass...she's happy!

Something totally different and new for me too! Excited and nervous to tattoo it now!

Lu

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

She's one of my best mates...its a tattoo for her parents...who I also know really well so I'm there...i have ideas floating around and we've discussed the elements she wants...its just putting it all together. .I don't often find this part hard! "

It's obviously because you are putting so much pressure on yourself for it to be perfect and amazing because they mean so much to you. Maybe try doing bits that remind them of you as a family but not necessarily for the tattoo but just things about them and something may flow from there

the abyss

"Well I pulled summat out my ass...she's happy!

Something totally different and new for me too! Excited and nervous to tattoo it now!

Lu "

Knew you'd manage

She's one of my best mates...its a tattoo for her parents...who I also know really well so I'm there...i have ideas floating around and we've discussed the elements she wants...its just putting it all together. .I don't often find this part hard!

It's obviously because you are putting so much pressure on yourself for it to be perfect and amazing because they mean so much to you. Maybe try doing bits that remind them of you as a family but not necessarily for the tattoo but just things about them and something may flow from there "

I've managed to draw something she loves

Her parents are big into the rockabilly scene so I drew a couple dancing, leather jacket, swing skirt...music notes plus "Keep rocking and rolling" as requested. She's all excited and has swapped her appointment so we're doing it tomorrow

the abyss

It's obviously because you are putting so much pressure on yourself for it to be perfect and amazing because they mean so much to you. Maybe try doing bits that remind them of you as a family but not necessarily for the tattoo but just things about them and something may flow from there

Her parents are big into the rockabilly scene so I drew a couple dancing, leather jacket, swing skirt...music notes plus "Keep rocking and rolling" as requested. She's all excited and has swapped her appointment so we're doing it tomorrow "

Oh wow that sounds amazing!!! You'll do an amazing job

Her parents are big into the rockabilly scene so I drew a couple dancing, leather jacket, swing skirt...music notes plus "Keep rocking and rolling" as requested. She's all excited and has swapped her appointment so we're doing it tomorrow

Oh wow that sounds amazing!!! You'll do an amazing job "

I hope so!

Thanks lovely

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Some days you have about as much creativity as a bog brush & others it's like an angel is your creative muse! On crap days I look at the person below. On good days I look at the person below. Don't beat yourself up - it's negative energy not being used correctly. Find other ways at coming from the same point or a good work around.

I had a book bought for me either last Christmas or the one before written by a tattoo guy called Cort Bengston. It's title is "Polynesian skatreboards and posters", and I bought it off amazon. Tattoo wise it's I guess what you would box it as "tribal art" tattoo stuff!

I'm interested in designing skateboards...

So I thoght it was interesting after looking on Amazon. When I got it I could not put it down! I look at it every day whether I want to be inspired or not! He takes his designs from nature, different types of saw blades, waves, turtles, patterns etc.

Try looking on Youtube. Look at how traditionally the Japanese tatooists do their craft or Mauri artists even. See if you can find the tattooist who did Eminem's tattoos or the black rap artists. You may have other tatooists in mind. Seek them out too!

I also have a book on Manga art Japanese woodblock prints. Monet, Manet, Whistler, Degas and the other Impressionist were interested in Japonism. If you want the title & author I have it but I'm an avid art book collector & it's inder a massive pile of books! It's about 4/5 inches thick (the book that is!)I have to scooch soon I'll be quickish...

Seek out music that relaxes you. I put my favourite tracks on or band videos that I realy like. I look at my favourite bands art album covers, photographs from inner sleeves.

Go & look at art books that get you to do different drawing exercises you would not have thought of. There are all sorts of techniques covered in art books to get you drawing loosley and freely.

Loosen up the neck,shoulders, wrists with Qigong or Tai Chi exercises that suit - youtube again!

There is a lady called Hayley Fieldes or or she is better known as "Fieldy". She has a tattoo art style finish. She is on youtube too!

There Is a guy called Drew Brophy. His wife Maria is on youtube giving advice to artists. She has written a top selling book too on the subject. Drew's style is like the Californian art designers who did the Grateful dead albums meets Robert Crumb (comic book artist) Go check him out.

Failing that do a Spider plan? List the main style/brief & link other thoughts and Ideas you have and link them to this one brief. Maybe lyrics from a song, fave artists, music, their influences.

Do yourself a "Mood board" - pick themes, colours, influences, seasons, music, fashion styles, fabrics, textures etc Theres tons more things you could pick. Join "Pinterest" that is very good for like minded individuals. Try Instagram & other social media platforms - see what they have to offer if any? Go and look in a book store likw Waterstones or whatever. If they are open at the moment.... I thought I saw something on the television the other day about opening. I love Waterstones - got quite a few ideas from there in the past!

What I have suggested may not help but it may give you ideas.. and a push you in the right direction!

Good luck

visiting the beach

I just read this on twitter (a lady called Joy Clarkson wrote it).

It seemed relevant...

"You are not a machine. you are more like a garden. you need different things on different days. a little sun today, a little less water tomorrow. you have fallow and fruitful seasons. it is not a design flaw. it is wiser than perpetual sameness. what does your garden need today?"

"I just read this on twitter (a lady called Joy Clarkson wrote it).

It seemed relevant...

"You are not a machine. you are more like a garden. you need different things on different days. a little sun today, a little less water tomorrow. you have fallow and fruitful seasons. it is not a design flaw. it is wiser than perpetual sameness. what does your garden need today?""

Love this!

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"There’s a famous writer who has a rule for this. For 6 hours each day he can either write or do absolutely nothing , he’s barred from doing any other activity as it just distracts. All the stuff were taught about brainstorming and divergent thinking is rubbish , if you look at the great creative masterpieces they all come about through very focussed thinking and refining..... so stare at the page and just draw

Yeah....that really doesn't work for me

I'd take this - except I write, so, different - and write around it. I want to do X. What is X, what are the different meanings of X?

I mean, yes, I'd brainstorm it! - because thinking of different strands or directions does work for me. "

So the idea being that the best creative works come though being created twice , first in the mind and then very slowly, bit by bit into reality , like a symphony, sculpture, , painting, slowly refined redrafted and perfected until they exactly match what you imagined, not brainstormed.

Can you imagine Beethoven or Van Gough brainstorming for ideas ?

But you are right , writing, lyrics and poetry can come about a bit like like that, like using a thesaurus. But isn’t that just another way to get to the vision you had and just couldn’t find the right words. That’s how poetry works for me, draft 1 is crap but captures the end result, then I change the words, move stuff, add rhythm again and again until it’s right. Without that initial concept/idea to work towards it’s hard, creativity isn’t linear it comes when it’s ready in its own time usually through life experiences

» Add a new message to this topic