FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Joy of having an allotment

Joy of having an allotment

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubal1 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

When I lived in England, I managed to secure a nearby allotment, but they seem to be rare in Ireland.

I grew all the vegetables I needed and there were soft fruit bushes, such as as gooseberries and Tay berries that I managed to to revive.

Years before I acquired the allotment, one of the previous owners had planted a Jargonelle pear tree and an Ashmeads Kernel apple tree; these produced superb fruit but I have never seen these varieties in either fruit shops or supermarkets, but they are occasionally available at farmers markets.

Has anyone ever had an allotment, what did you grow and if current, have you found it to be psychologically beneficial during the last horrendous year?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I grew sweet potatoes on mine, it was very exciting!

By *xhibitionisticvoyeurMan  over a year ago

wrexham

I've only got a small one (half plot) but it's what you do with it that counts... I grow all sorts on it, love growing potatoes and onions. I have a greenhouse for the first time this year too and am looking forward to trying to grow some juicy melons. Absolutely love it, especially as we don't have a garden, that bit of outdoor space has been very beneficial over the last year.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

My Grampy had one. He grew cabbages (always seemed to be problems with the cabbages), carrots, runner beans, potatoes, beetroot, and tonnes of rhubarb.

He grew tomatoes in his greenhouse and you can’t beat that smell

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I don’t have an allotment but I do have a vegetable patch. I’ve just planted, courgette, cauliflower, broccoli and rainbow chard.

I made a raised bed in lockdown last year. This year Im growing broad beans, peas, toms, lots of salad and herbs. Mixing it up with flowers.

The small garden and rausee bed has bought me a lot of pleasure over the last year

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

" I've only got a small one (half plot) but it's what you do with it that counts... I grow all sorts on it, love growing potatoes and onions. I have a greenhouse for the first time this year too and am looking forward to trying to grow some juicy melons. Absolutely love it, especially as we don't have a garden, that bit of outdoor space has been very beneficial over the last year. "

Thats excellent. My dad had one, then two allotments and grew all sorts. His sweetcorn straight from the plant and his tomatoes were amazing.

I might plant some spuds this year.

I don't have an allotment, but I do grow tomatoes, blueberries & strawberries in my garden.

And I have a lovely cherry tree which gave a very good crop last year.

It is so rewarding growing your own produce. & you know it hasn't been drenched in pesticides!

Bella.

By *inkyfilthymindMan  over a year ago

Berks / Heathrow

I just got an allotment in Jan and have spent too much time clearing the couch grass (only 50% of the plot done)

But got a lot planted and lot of seedlings on the way - I am so excited to have the extra space and spending more time doing physical work (I am desk bound for normal work)

Any ideas on how to deal with couch grass without breaking my break are warmly received

Newry Down

My front garden was filled with couch grass; it was simply a matter of donning a good pair of knee pads and picking out every root with a hand grubber.

This job took weeks, on my knees, but I removed every one. It has never reappeared.

Berks / Heathrow

"My front garden was filled with couch grass; it was simply a matter of donning a good pair of knee pads and picking out every root with a hand grubber.

This job took weeks, on my knees, but I removed every one. It has never reappeared."

I have the border plot and the field over the fence is full of it I am afraid. I have dug and removed a lot. But not sure if there is a way to stop the spread from the field

By *ark ph0enixWoman  over a year ago

Teesside

I had one for a year but had to give it up as was due a series of medical hurdles and later a relocation. Instead I've put my heart and limited ability into taming my new wild garden. Such a rewarding way to spend time. Almost finished now so will need a new project. Maybe get another allotment but suspect it may be too much digging for my capabilities now

Berks / Heathrow

"I had one for a year but had to give it up as was due a series of medical hurdles and later a relocation. Instead I've put my heart and limited ability into taming my new wild garden. Such a rewarding way to spend time. Almost finished now so will need a new project. Maybe get another allotment but suspect it may be too much digging for my capabilities now"

It is the most rewarding way to spend a sunny afternoon (and sometimes not so sunny

No dig? I do no dig at my garden and it’s great. Can’t get my hands on so much compost for an allotment, otherwise will do it in a heartbeat

By *ark ph0enixWoman  over a year ago

Teesside

"I had one for a year but had to give it up as was due a series of medical hurdles and later a relocation. Instead I've put my heart and limited ability into taming my new wild garden. Such a rewarding way to spend time. Almost finished now so will need a new project. Maybe get another allotment but suspect it may be too much digging for my capabilities now

It is the most rewarding way to spend a sunny afternoon (and sometimes not so sunny

No dig? I do no dig at my garden and it’s great. Can’t get my hands on so much compost for an allotment, otherwise will do it in a heartbeat "

No dig has worked in my garden but not sure how it would work in an allotment. I may just offer to makeover a neighbor's garden instead. Shes elderly and struggling bless. And I seem to have more luck with flowers and foliage than veg

By *irtydevil666Man  over a year ago

bristol

I don't have one but loving growing peppers tomatoes etc in pots in my back garden.....

Berks / Heathrow

"I had one for a year but had to give it up as was due a series of medical hurdles and later a relocation. Instead I've put my heart and limited ability into taming my new wild garden. Such a rewarding way to spend time. Almost finished now so will need a new project. Maybe get another allotment but suspect it may be too much digging for my capabilities now

No dig? I do no dig at my garden and it’s great. Can’t get my hands on so much compost for an allotment, otherwise will do it in a heartbeat

No dig has worked in my garden but not sure how it would work in an allotment. I may just offer to makeover a neighbor's garden instead. Shes elderly and struggling bless. And I seem to have more luck with flowers and foliage than veg"

She is lucky to have you as neighbour

Flower looks good on you too - based on the sample size of one

Berks / Heathrow

"I don't have one but loving growing peppers tomatoes etc in pots in my back garden..... "

Chilli or sweet? I have rotten luck with sweet, chilli - much better

bristol

"I don't have one but loving growing peppers tomatoes etc in pots in my back garden.....

Chilli or sweet? I have rotten luck with sweet, chilli - much better "

Not decided at mo which to grow yet whatever I can get my hands on that is close to home

Berks / Heathrow

"I don't have one but loving growing peppers tomatoes etc in pots in my back garden.....

Not decided at mo which to grow yet whatever I can get my hands on that is close to home "

good luck. I am doing both this year (plus 37 other things - go big or go home right?)

bristol

Not decided at mo which to grow yet whatever I can get my hands on that is close to home

good luck. I am doing both this year (plus 37 other things - go big or go home right?)"

Thanks you too

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"My front garden was filled with couch grass; it was simply a matter of donning a good pair of knee pads and picking out every root with a hand grubber.

This job took weeks, on my knees, but I removed every one. It has never reappeared.

I have the border plot and the field over the fence is full of it I am afraid. I have dug and removed a lot. But not sure if there is a way to stop the spread from the field "

I remember a piece of ground we had alongside a neighbours back garden which consisted of 100% couch grass you have to stop it at the source of where its coming from to be really free of it has in your case we never were due to those circumstances, but clearing it annually as we did gave plants a chance to grow for the season but it was a frustrating situation to be in regarding the time spent digging the stuff out and hard work to it would soon take over a plot of ground given the chance and probably did so after we left there.

Berks / Heathrow

I have the border plot and the field over the fence is full of it I am afraid. I have dug and removed a lot. But not sure if there is a way to stop the spread from the field I remember a piece of ground we had alongside a neighbours back garden which consisted of 100% couch grass you have to stop it at the source of where its coming from to be really free of it has in your case we never were due to those circumstances, but clearing it annually as we did gave plants a chance to grow for the season but it was a frustrating situation to be in regarding the time spent digging the stuff out and hard work to it would soon take over a plot of ground given the chance and probably did so after we left there. "

That’s what I am worried about. Thanks for the reference point.

I am testing with turnips on one of beds borders as they are supposed to block couch grass from invading. Will know in a cpl of months.

My grandparents had 1 up till about 15 yrs ago (my grandma went 100 in December) they grew also onions, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, beetroot, herbs, raspberrys, blackberry's strawberrys, rubarb, apples, pears and tomatoes, peas which when I pick I ate more than I took home lol. I miss long summer days helping out

By *hat Guy with the RopesMan  over a year ago

Kingston upon Hull

Fee for a double allotment and gris everything from beans to sweetcorn. We have a few dwarf apple trees, a part tree, gooseberry bush and raspberries. Strawberries, okra and melons this year not its an experiment. It's been a God send during lockdown and the sun and fresh air make me exceedingly randy!

My favourite will always be potatoes. Buried treasure!

derby

No dig has worked in my garden but not sure how it would work in an allotment. I may just offer to makeover a neighbor's garden instead. Shes elderly and struggling bless. And I seem to have more luck with flowers and foliage than veg"

Yes I,ve had more luck with flowers than veg thou you get your share of pest species for both we get a number of wood pigeons in our garden now and any thing they can find edible its soon on their menu I get as much pleasure at seeing self seeded plants grow every year in the garden and flower thou short lived the majority they make a return the following year.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We had ones years ago, it was such a mess the council let us have it free. It was too much work especially as the children were quite little so we have it up when we moved somewhere with a bigger garden.

Atm I've got raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, red & white onions, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes, chillies and will plant some beans, parsnips and beetroot

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

[Removed by poster at 20/04/21 21:46:50]

By *offiaCoolWoman  over a year ago

Kidsgrove

I have the border plot and the field over the fence is full of it I am afraid. I have dug and removed a lot. But not sure if there is a way to stop the spread from the field I remember a piece of ground we had alongside a neighbours back garden which consisted of 100% couch grass you have to stop it at the source of where its coming from to be really free of it has in your case we never were due to those circumstances, but clearing it annually as we did gave plants a chance to grow for the season but it was a frustrating situation to be in regarding the time spent digging the stuff out and hard work to it would soon take over a plot of ground given the chance and probably did so after we left there.

I am testing with turnips on one of beds borders as they are supposed to block couch grass from invading. Will know in a cpl of months. "

Dig as much as you can out if you don't want to use glycosphate, then cover and exclude light for a full season.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Just recently revamped the garden so able to grow vegetables and herbs built few cold frames it's therapeutic and if all goes well nice to see the end results and taste better plus save a small fortune

Berks / Heathrow

I have the border plot and the field over the fence is full of it I am afraid. I have dug and removed a lot. But not sure if there is a way to stop the spread from the field I remember a piece of ground we had alongside a neighbours back garden which consisted of 100% couch grass you have to stop it at the source of where its coming from to be really free of it has in your case we never were due to those circumstances, but clearing it annually as we did gave plants a chance to grow for the season but it was a frustrating situation to be in regarding the time spent digging the stuff out and hard work to it would soon take over a plot of ground given the chance and probably did so after we left there.

I am testing with turnips on one of beds borders as they are supposed to block couch grass from invading. Will know in a cpl of months.

Dig as much as you can out if you don't want to use glycosphate, then cover and exclude light for a full season."

I didn’t think of light exclusion. Thanks, I will probably do that depending on which beds get how much regrowth

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

My grandad used to have an allotment. He never seemed to come home with many fruits of his labour.

Thinking about it, he probably had it to get seen space from my nan

It was his quiet place.

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

No allotment here but been making good use of our garden growing tomatoes, spinach, chillies, strawberries, blueberries, apples, plums, cherries, pears, lemons, oranges, mint, sage, rosemary, horseradish. It's been great having a garden during this bloody covid thing and even cutting the grass and hedges has become a sort of pleasure.

derby

I am testing with turnips on one of beds borders as they are supposed to block couch grass from invading. Will know in a cpl of months. "

That's Interesting about the turnips well all I can say is I hope your on to a winner there because you need all the luck you can find against this Invading species but all the best on that one

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Had a large south facing garden when I was younger and grew all sorts including fennel, corn and asparagus , it’s hard work and often more expensive but is satisfying . Will always try and grow herbs, tomatoes and chillies but don't have for much else now plus it’s difficult to travel in the summer when you grow or have chickens.

Berks / Heathrow

I am testing with turnips on one of beds borders as they are supposed to block couch grass from invading. Will know in a cpl of months. That's Interesting about the turnips well all I can say is I hope your on to a winner there because you need all the luck you can find against this Invading species but all the best on that one "

Thanks

Berks / Heathrow

"No allotment here but been making good use of our garden growing tomatoes, spinach, chillies, strawberries, blueberries, apples, plums, cherries, pears, lemons, oranges, mint, sage, rosemary, horseradish. It's been great having a garden during this bloody covid thing and even cutting the grass and hedges has become a sort of pleasure."

Lemon - sounds impressive. Do you grow them in a greenhouse?

Kidsgrove

"No allotment here but been making good use of our garden growing tomatoes, spinach, chillies, strawberries, blueberries, apples, plums, cherries, pears, lemons, oranges, mint, sage, rosemary, horseradish. It's been great having a garden during this bloody covid thing and even cutting the grass and hedges has become a sort of pleasure.

Lemon - sounds impressive. Do you grow them in a greenhouse? "

They need shelter through winter, but fruit quite happily in a warm sunny spot, they need feeding as well as water.

derby

"No allotment here but been making good use of our garden growing tomatoes, spinach, chillies, strawberries, blueberries, apples, plums, cherries, pears, lemons, oranges, mint, sage, rosemary, horseradish. It's been great having a garden during this bloody covid thing and even cutting the grass and hedges has become a sort of pleasure."
You,ve certainly got green fingers there is nothing better than being outdoors in a lovely environment..

I tend a walled garden with a big vegetable patch, cold frames, greenhouse, peach house, vine house, lots of fruit trees, and many types of soft fruit bushes and canes. We try to do a few new things each year to keep it interesting as well as the usual stuff. Last year's successes were celtuce, kidney beans and quinoa. Chickpeas were a massive let down.

derby

"Had a large south facing garden when I was younger and grew all sorts including fennel, corn and asparagus , it’s hard work and often more expensive but is satisfying . Will always try and grow herbs, tomatoes and chillies but don't have for much else now plus it’s difficult to travel in the summer when you grow or have chickens. "
Thyme is a good self setting plant in the garden I give them their freedom to do so and they return the favour with their aromatic scented leaves which I use to cook with occasionally, I lost a old sage this year perhaps 25 years old could have been the frosts but I have a younger plant from that one growing in another pot I might transfer it into open ground sometime.

Berks / Heathrow

"I tend a walled garden with a big vegetable patch, cold frames, greenhouse, peach house, vine house, lots of fruit trees, and many types of soft fruit bushes and canes. We try to do a few new things each year to keep it interesting as well as the usual stuff. Last year's successes were celtuce, kidney beans and quinoa. Chickpeas were a massive let down."

Wow! Walled garden sounds amazing - one of my retirement plans /early retirement dream jobs

Berks / Heathrow

"No allotment here but been making good use of our garden growing tomatoes, spinach, chillies, strawberries, blueberries, apples, plums, cherries, pears, lemons, oranges, mint, sage, rosemary, horseradish. It's been great having a garden during this bloody covid thing and even cutting the grass and hedges has become a sort of pleasure.

They need shelter through winter, but fruit quite happily in a warm sunny spot, they need feeding as well as water."

Thanks. Sounds easy enough for me to do. I will research

derby

They need shelter through winter, but fruit quite happily in a warm sunny spot, they need feeding as well as water."

My mum grew a lemon plant from seed but it got to large to keep in doors and got quite spindly I'm sure with a bit of loving tender care we could have nurtured that plant into something special thinking back.

Kidsgrove

They need shelter through winter, but fruit quite happily in a warm sunny spot, they need feeding as well as water.

Thanks. Sounds easy enough for me to do. I will research "

Easy peassy for you man, you live darn sarf

Berks / Heathrow

Thanks. Sounds easy enough for me to do. I will research

Easy peassy for you man, you live darn sarf "

you are welcome for a fruit tasting anytime

Newry Down

I have the border plot and the field over the fence is full of it I am afraid. I have dug and removed a lot. But not sure if there is a way to stop the spread from the field "

Put in an impermeable barrier that the couch grass roots are incapable of passing through.

If you do research online, and then visit a good garden centre which stocks a product that you can get your hands on; and ask probing questions from the staff.

Some are excellent, but from my experience some know very little and are only there on a temporary bssis, at minimum cost.

Newry Down

David Cemlyn who did a series of DVDs about 10+ years ago, in Bristol, called The Allotment.

He is a proponent of no dig, and on the DVD he demonstrates his approach very well.

These DVDs are, in my opi ion, very enjoyable, informative and well made with high production values.

Newry Down

"My grandparents had 1 up till about 15 yrs ago (my grandma went 100 in December) they grew also onions, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, beetroot, herbs, raspberrys, blackberry's strawberrys, rubarb, apples, pears and tomatoes, peas which when I pick I ate more than I took home lol. I miss long summer days helping out "

It sounds wonderful and undoubtedly tasted that way too!

Newry Down

"I tend a walled garden with a big vegetable patch, cold frames, greenhouse, peach house, vine house, lots of fruit trees, and many types of soft fruit bushes and canes. We try to do a few new things each year to keep it interesting as well as the usual stuff. Last year's successes were celtuce, kidney beans and quinoa. Chickpeas were a massive let down."

Have you ever seen the 13 episodes of The Victorian Kitchen Garden from 1987 with Peter Thoday and Harry Dodson. Magical.

» Add a new message to this topic