FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Modern F1 engines

Modern F1 engines

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hillout OP   Man  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Sound awful! Sure the sport is exciting, but the engine noise comes across as anything but.

Who else misses the scream F1 engines would have back when you had normally aspirated or turbocharged V10 or V12 instead of the hybrid job we see today?

Any petrol heads agree?

The immortal Ayrton at Suzuka in a Honda V10. This was excitement

https://youtu.be/iWJB-azRMu4

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Have to agree with what you’ve said. Whilst I admire the tech that goes in to these engines and the now added reliability I can’t get used to the noise. I remember going to the Spanish gp some years ago and the BAR sounded epic and much much louder than all the other engines.

Bring back the 1500hp qually spec engines that lasted a session and were binned

Unfortunately this is the world we now live in.

The issue is two fold, the main one being pressed is eco-bs. However with a 1.6l hybrid turbo v6 putting out the bet part of 1000hp the real issue is the power the 3.5l v10’s would be putting out now and the increase in lap times and indeed safety that would ensue.

But yeah, they sound like a wet fart.

By *ogNMuseCouple  over a year ago

Surrey

The V10 and V12 weren’t ever turbocharged, it’s the turbo on the current ones that make them sound quieter than they are.

The last V8 na engines were awful! Too high pitched

"The V10 and V12 weren’t ever turbocharged, it’s the turbo on the current ones that make them sound quieter than they are.

The last V8 na engines were awful! Too high pitched "

Agreed. I don't mind the hybrid sound personally but that high pitch was just to off putting.

"The V10 and V12 weren’t ever turbocharged, it’s the turbo on the current ones that make them sound quieter than they are.

The last V8 na engines were awful! Too high pitched "

Yes you're right. The Mp4/4 was a V6 turbo I believe

We bought a mustang We put asupercharger on it it sounds so much better then rice burners. Borland exhaust . Love the rumbling noise.

Yep, they sound awful.

The V10 and V12 sound amazing.

Unfortunately road cars are going the same way now smaller engines, less noise or electric which just kills any car for me.

I'm hanging onto my cars and the noise until the day I die

"Yep, they sound awful.

Unfortunately road cars are going the same way now smaller engines, less noise or electric which just kills any car for me.

"

Same 68 Camaro SS and a 07 mustang we picked up this past weekend.i can't stand the sounds of the burners. Then again us americans love 1/4 mile compared to F1.

"Have to agree with what you’ve said. Whilst I admire the tech that goes in to these engines and the now added reliability I can’t get used to the noise. I remember going to the Spanish gp some years ago and the BAR sounded epic and much much louder than all the other engines.

Bring back the 1500hp qually spec engines that lasted a session and were binned "

I studied in uni a mile from the Estoril international track where F1 was held for many years. In off season we could barely do class without hearing the scream of F1 cars during off season. Teams would head there for a week or two of testing.

I cut classes a few times and went to see Schumacher with Benneton Ford, Williams Hill and Ferrari.

Good times

By *eorgio300Man  over a year ago

bromborough

I've been to many F1 races before this new era of engines Mansell Senna Schumacher etc the screaming Ferrari was something that you had to be there .. Bikes the same Barry Sheene and the 2 stroke Suzuki.. noise and the smell lol

By *asilForty77Man  over a year ago

a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road

The beast with the spitfire engine now that's a motor lol

11000 horsepower dragsters. 338 miles a hour in the 1/4 mile. That gets me wet

By *ocksareoffMan  over a year ago

Out n About

Agreed the Honda's from the turbo era and the screaming V10s are on another level. The modern cars exhaust note is nothing more than a drawn out fart.

On the bike front the inline 4 of the Kawasaki's in WSB from the late 90s sounded the absolute muts nuts

By *argoyleMan  over a year ago

dudley

I guess the future is formula E -- pretty much no engine noise at all

By *asualandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Uxbridge

I've not missed a GP since 1987 and have to say I love the ongoing evolution of the sport. It is easy to dwell on the past, and the old V12 engines where an amazing spectacle to hear live. Absolutely deafening. However F1 needs to remain at the cutting edge of technology or will cease to be the pinnacle of the sport.

The fact that they are going faster now than they ever did with those monster engines is a marvel in itself.

Perhaps they should make more of the older cars and promote the Classic F1 series as a part of the F1 umbrella. However those cars are still out there and pounding the tarmac of circuits up and down the country for anyone who wants to see, hear and smell them. And by gawd that smell is amazing.

I'm sure they'd be greatful for your custom.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Forget your F1.

Get out in the forest and listen to the sound of a classic BDA echoing through the trees.

That’s the stuff orgasms are made of.

"Unfortunately this is the world we now live in.

The issue is two fold, the main one being pressed is eco-bs. However with a 1.6l hybrid turbo v6 putting out the bet part of 1000hp the real issue is the power the 3.5l v10’s would be putting out now and the increase in lap times and indeed safety that would ensue.

But yeah, they sound like a wet fart. "

Wet fart . Nail on the head!

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Nostalgia is a strange beast!

Yes the sound was pure adrenaline but they were ridiculously unreliable and often drivers lost races through reliability issues.

Now the engines are more powerful, more reliable and drivers are safer as they actually race each other.

Progress isn’t a bad thing. Personally I like how the sport has developed, it’s taking a long time to shed the Bernie era of pit girls and megalomania led by two or three teams and I’m interested to see how it’s going to further change

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Perhaps the most succesful engine in F1 was the Ford Cosworth 3 litre DFV, 155 Grand Prix wins between 1967 and 1984.

With regard to noise my best experience was being a start line marshal at Silverstone many years ago and the sound of up to 20 DFV's leaving the start line is one I will never forget.

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Way back in the 1950s BRM built a V16 1.5 litre engine, 600bhp at 12.000 rpm,

Sadly it was not succesful, Never got to see one race but have seen one on the hillclimb scene many years ago.

That was real noise.

Engine noise? There is only one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

By *luebellRacerCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

I'd rather there was progress than noise to be honest. There's still thrill from the sound at a track.

Want to reminisce, then get to Goodwood and the likes.

Formula E noise does my head in, but it's the way forward. There's even electric karting series being started, so all drivers, from the get go use electric.

To watch, I much prefer BTCC or Indycar anyway. Mr Racer watches everything and anything much to my dismay! F1, F2, F3, Formula E, Extreme E, Clio cup, bttc, indy, nascar, le mans, indy 500, Dakar... I've probably missed some

By *luebellRacerCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

"I've not missed a GP since 1987 and have to say I love the ongoing evolution of the sport. It is easy to dwell on the past, and the old V12 engines where an amazing spectacle to hear live. Absolutely deafening. However F1 needs to remain at the cutting edge of technology or will cease to be the pinnacle of the sport.

The fact that they are going faster now than they ever did with those monster engines is a marvel in itself.

Perhaps they should make more of the older cars and promote the Classic F1 series as a part of the F1 umbrella. However those cars are still out there and pounding the tarmac of circuits up and down the country for anyone who wants to see, hear and smell them. And by gawd that smell is amazing.

I'm sure they'd be greatful for your custom. "

Exactly! Got the joy of seeing Nelson Piquet’s Grand Prix-winning Benetton F1 car at Cadwell Modified Live in 2019. Watching it rev up the mountain was epic! The cars are still out there, just not in leading technology, F1 races.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

and Formula E for the racing and the skill that's needed to drive the vehicles.

The sound means nothing. You can have all the sound and fury you like. It signifys nothing

I love F1, and I love this new era of engines because I'm a complete technophile! I find it absolutely fascinating!

But yes, I do miss that V10 scream!

By *an hjCouple  over a year ago

Stowmarket

Screaming engines, no one has mentioned the Marta V12 yet.

"Yep, they sound awful.

"

I knew we'd be of similar opinion

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Have not sat through a race for a long time. Might watch Monaco and the Brit one though. Yes, losing the noise is a great loss to the experience.

On a slightly different nostalgic note, Fleetwood Mac The Chain just played on the radio and when the bass kicked in at the end I had goosebumps! What are your thoughts on the new(ish) F1 theme? I've grown to love it!

"On a slightly different nostalgic note, Fleetwood Mac The Chain just played on the radio and when the bass kicked in at the end I had goosebumps! What are your thoughts on the new(ish) F1 theme? I've grown to love it! "

It’s not the Chain. Those are my thoughts.

Along with “it’s not right”.

But then again, new era of the angry hair dryer I guess.

» Add a new message to this topic