FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Car paint

Car paint

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *acey_Red OP   Woman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Does anyone know much about car paint? I've just jet washed my car at one of those things at the petrol station and when I've got home I've noticed some of my paintwork on the bonnet seems to have been damaged and looks like it's peeling. There was some bird poo on it but I get that all the time living on a tree lined street and nothing like this has ever happened in the 3 years I've lived here with the same car and the worst part was the roof not the bonnet anyway. I googled it and I've read on a forum mention of a dodgy respray. Literally 2 months ago I had a new bonnet fitted after it was irreparably damaged after a lorry hit the side of a tunnel and brought all the cladding down from the wall onto my car. Is it worth going back to the garage to complain the my 2 month old paintwork appears to be peeling off or will they just say it must be my fault?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Go and complain...two months is unacceptable

By *estman for the jobMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Sounds like the laquer or clear coat has peeled

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Definitely go and complain, I had a similar situation on a rear door, they admitted that the preparation wasn't done correctly

By *akbearMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Two months, sounds like something has gone wrong with the application.

You need to let them know so they can at least use it as a training and learning experience.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Does anyone know much about car paint? I've just jet washed my car at one of those things at the petrol station and when I've got home I've noticed some of my paintwork on the bonnet seems to have been damaged and looks like it's peeling. There was some bird poo on it but I get that all the time living on a tree lined street and nothing like this has ever happened in the 3 years I've lived here with the same car and the worst part was the roof not the bonnet anyway. I googled it and I've read on a forum mention of a dodgy respray. Literally 2 months ago I had a new bonnet fitted after it was irreparably damaged after a lorry hit the side of a tunnel and brought all the cladding down from the wall onto my car. Is it worth going back to the garage to complain the my 2 month old paintwork appears to be peeling off or will they just say it must be my fault? "

They will have a warranty of some kind. There work was not fit for purpose. Ask them to make it good or replace it.

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Yes. They’ve done a botch job.

"Does anyone know much about car paint? I've just jet washed my car at one of those things at the petrol station and when I've got home I've noticed some of my paintwork on the bonnet seems to have been damaged and looks like it's peeling. There was some bird poo on it but I get that all the time living on a tree lined street and nothing like this has ever happened in the 3 years I've lived here with the same car and the worst part was the roof not the bonnet anyway. I googled it and I've read on a forum mention of a dodgy respray. Literally 2 months ago I had a new bonnet fitted after it was irreparably damaged after a lorry hit the side of a tunnel and brought all the cladding down from the wall onto my car. Is it worth going back to the garage to complain the my 2 month old paintwork appears to be peeling off or will they just say it must be my fault?

They will have a warranty of some kind. There work was not fit for purpose. Ask them to make it good or replace it. "

sounds dodgy hubby sprays his own sounds like no clear coat was applied. Good luck

Liverpool

Thanks everyone. I kept having delays getting it back because of Covid so I wouldn't be surprised if something was missed or left to someone less experienced as they seemed pretty stretched. It didn't help the car hire company kept cancelling my courtesy car hire every time we reached the estimated finish date so I kept having to ring them for an updated date as the texts often came through late so they probably felt pressured but I'd rather they have just said they were keeping it another week than keep pushing it back a day or two at a time then rushing the job. Sigh!

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Does anyone know much about car paint? I've just jet washed my car at one of those things at the petrol station and when I've got home I've noticed some of my paintwork on the bonnet seems to have been damaged and looks like it's peeling. There was some bird poo on it but I get that all the time living on a tree lined street and nothing like this has ever happened in the 3 years I've lived here with the same car and the worst part was the roof not the bonnet anyway. I googled it and I've read on a forum mention of a dodgy respray. Literally 2 months ago I had a new bonnet fitted after it was irreparably damaged after a lorry hit the side of a tunnel and brought all the cladding down from the wall onto my car. Is it worth going back to the garage to complain the my 2 month old paintwork appears to be peeling off or will they just say it must be my fault? "

Depends on the integrity and honesty of the garage who did the re spray,

Try to find out if they are a member of a trade organisation who you can go to if they aren't helpful.

If the bird poo has been left on for ages it might have damaged the paintwork and then the powerful pressure washer if held to close could have made it worse

Hope you get it sorted

Liverpool

"Does anyone know much about car paint? I've just jet washed my car at one of those things at the petrol station and when I've got home I've noticed some of my paintwork on the bonnet seems to have been damaged and looks like it's peeling. There was some bird poo on it but I get that all the time living on a tree lined street and nothing like this has ever happened in the 3 years I've lived here with the same car and the worst part was the roof not the bonnet anyway. I googled it and I've read on a forum mention of a dodgy respray. Literally 2 months ago I had a new bonnet fitted after it was irreparably damaged after a lorry hit the side of a tunnel and brought all the cladding down from the wall onto my car. Is it worth going back to the garage to complain the my 2 month old paintwork appears to be peeling off or will they just say it must be my fault?

Depends on the integrity and honesty of the garage who did the re spray,

Try to find out if they are a member of a trade organisation who you can go to if they aren't helpful.

If the bird poo has been left on for ages it might have damaged the paintwork and then the powerful pressure washer if held to close could have made it worse

Hope you get it sorted

"

They were the "approved repairer" through the insurance job so you would hope legit.

It wasn't left ages, a couple of days which I've done many times before as who can wash their car multiple times a week! I've heard it can cause damage and I've seen people have an outline left of where it was where the paint has become dull underneath but to full on flake off just seems a bit extreme to me when people's cars get pood on by birds all the time . Especially when the part that had most of the bird poo was the roof and the paintwork there is totally fine.

"Sounds like the laquer or clear coat has peeled"

I’ve seen this happen before op. With a jet wash. If it’s an aftermarket respray, jet washes are just to powerful unless the resorts was If a higher standard.

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

It could be caused by a spot of moisture that hadn't been dried properly during the preparation.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Does having had your insurer involved not give you a stronger case Lacey? It could be worth having a chat with them too.

Liverpool

"Does having had your insurer involved not give you a stronger case Lacey? It could be worth having a chat with them too. "

It was the other parties insurer so I'm not sure? Though I did speak to mine about the incident for advice and I'm pretty sure they said something about it being better to do repairs through insurance as I'm covered if anything goes wrong with the repair work so that is a good point thank you! Though if that means making a claim on my insurance I don't really want to do that .

Right. My take as a professional car repairer/sprayer.

Without seeing the car it’s pretty impossible to diagnose what may or may not have caused this issue. It doesn’t mean it’s had a botch job or the garage are negligent. I would advise you to take it back to the people that did it though. There are many reasons this could’ve happened. From the chemicals used at the car wash. A paint chip that’s allowed the lacquer to have water blasted underneath at high pressure. Possibly poor preparation in the body shop. So on and so forth

I would imagine the approved repairer will happily sort it out foc as it’s their reputation.

J

Ps. It’s fresh paintwork and takes time to cure properly. Bird poo is so acidic it can easily damage fresh paint.

J

Liverpool

"Right. My take as a professional car repairer/sprayer.

Without seeing the car it’s pretty impossible to diagnose what may or may not have caused this issue. It doesn’t mean it’s had a botch job or the garage are negligent. I would advise you to take it back to the people that did it though. There are many reasons this could’ve happened. From the chemicals used at the car wash. A paint chip that’s allowed the lacquer to have water blasted underneath at high pressure. Possibly poor preparation in the body shop. So on and so forth

I would imagine the approved repairer will happily sort it out foc as it’s their reputation.

J "

Thank you for the advice. Don't worry, I wasn't about to go in all guns blazing. I'm the type who apologises for bothering a car sales man who sold me a car that had four warning lights pop up within 2 weeks and I had a 30 day money back gaurantee .

J

Thank you for the advice. Don't worry, I wasn't about to go in all guns blazing. I'm the type who apologises for bothering a car sales man who sold me a car that had four warning lights pop up within 2 weeks and I had a 30 day money back gaurantee ."

No worries. Good luck. Like I said. I imagine they will gladly sort. It. Let me know how it goes

J

Liverpool

J

Thank you for the advice. Don't worry, I wasn't about to go in all guns blazing. I'm the type who apologises for bothering a car sales man who sold me a car that had four warning lights pop up within 2 weeks and I had a 30 day money back gaurantee .

No worries. Good luck. Like I said. I imagine they will gladly sort. It. Let me know how it goes

J "

Thank you very much

Bird shit is really bad for paint work, as soon as you see it, wash it off. The acidity in the shit is terrible.

» Add a new message to this topic