FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Locking your bedroom door

Locking your bedroom door

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’m lying in bed and it has just struck me that I may have an odd habit. I live alone but I lock my bedroom door when I retire to it. I do it because should anyone break into the house, they can empty it for all I care but there’s an extra barrier to get to me. I don’t lock the door when I have family or guests staying; only when I’m alone.

Does anyone else lock their bedroom door at night?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't have a lock on my bedroom door.

The only room inside my house that I have a lock on is my dungeon playroom! & that is only so I can lock it away from potential prying eyes of my vanilla friends should they come to visit!

Don’t lock any doors and the keys are left in all our cars but we live in the middle of no where and our area is very safe.

T

"I don't have a lock on my bedroom door.

The only room inside my house that I have a lock on is my dungeon playroom! & that is only so I can lock it away from potential prying eyes of my vanilla friends should they come to visit!"

Are you pulling my leg. I’m a gullible git.

I’m not sure the burglars would stay to take anything else after seeing the ‘equipment’ in there.

"Don’t lock any doors and the keys are left in all our cars but we live in the middle of no where and our area is very safe.

T"

That’s the thing, my area is very safe but I can’t get past that one in a million chance. All it takes it that ‘one’.

By *innocentMan  over a year ago

Littlehampton

I live in a little flat on my own opposite the sea. The only room that has a door is the bathroom, everything else is walk through open plan

"I live in a little flat on my own opposite the sea. The only room that has a door is the bathroom, everything else is walk through open plan "

Sounds lovely, opposite the sea.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I knew of a lady who did that, but she was elderly. She just had one of those push along bathroom door type locks on it, easy enough to break in an emergency if you needed to.

The only doors that get locked in my flat are the front and back door - all other doors are open all the time.

Unless I've got visitors then obviously the bathroom door gets shut

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I don't even lock my front door

Did wake up once to a strange dog running down the hall

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

I don’t even like my bedroom door closed. Years ago, I used to lock an internal door downstairs where I lived before after being burgled. So I understand your reasoning.

By *mooth tongue 4uMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

"I’m lying in bed and it has just struck me that I may have an odd habit. I live alone but I lock my bedroom door when I retire to it. I do it because should anyone break into the house, they can empty it for all I care but there’s an extra barrier to get to me. I don’t lock the door when I have family or guests staying; only when I’m alone.

Does anyone else lock their bedroom door at night?"

I suppose I’m lucky where I live but both doors are often left open , windows open cars unlocked and I feel safe

But yes if your in a large city I can understand your fears

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Just thinking aloud.... but does not locking your front door leave your home insurance invalid? Because you’ve not secured your home? Which might be obvious if there was no visible signs of forced entry?

It’s hit and miss if I even lock the front door at night let alone a bedroom door lol

"Just thinking aloud.... but does not locking your front door leave your home insurance invalid? Because you’ve not secured your home? Which might be obvious if there was no visible signs of forced entry?

"

Probably.

"I knew of a lady who did that, but she was elderly. She just had one of those push along bathroom door type locks on it, easy enough to break in an emergency if you needed to.

"

That’s just about right. I feel myself becoming an old lady.

Justing by your answers, people don’t generally do this. It’s not at all dangerous where I live and I have no idea where this habit comes from.

"Just thinking aloud.... but does not locking your front door leave your home insurance invalid? Because you’ve not secured your home? Which might be obvious if there was no visible signs of forced entry?

Probably. "

That a very good point.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

I never lock my bedroom door because I must have a flow of fresh air through my bedroom at night; otherwise I overheat and have a bad night's sleep.

Without going into all the details I have gone to enormous lengths to ensure I sleep well every night, the most important feature being specially designed blackout blinds (similar to those used in Scandinavia) which render my bedroom totally dark.

Excessive light infiltration, particularly from street lighting, is one crucial reason why many people do not now sleep well, compared to our ancestors who had limited access to artificial lighting.

Anyone with sleep problems should study the material about sleep hygiene that is available online.

Adequate, high quality sleep is crucial to everyone's overall health, both physical and mental.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

My door has the lock on the outside. It gets locked five minutes after curfew

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

I would lock my bedroom door if it had one. I have previously done this when I lived in places that did have one fitted.

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Absolutely not, if someone should break into our home at night I want easy access to them!

"I would lock my bedroom door if it had one. I have previously done this when I lived in places that did have one fitted. "

Do you know why you do it and where the habit came from. It would seem we are a rarity.

I don’t have a lock on my bedroom door, but I do shut the door at night. No idea why

Yes.

I live in a shared house with 5 men tho.

Lu

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

No locks on doors including bathroom (door/frame warped). We were advised by fire brigade (when fitting smoke alarms) to ensure all internal doors are shut as much as possible as an extra layer of protection in the event of a fire.

J x

Mine is always open a tiny bit for the cat to come in and out.

If I didnt have the cat and lived alone though this would be my logic too

"I don’t have a lock on my bedroom door, but I do shut the door at night. No idea why "

Would you lock it as well, if it had a lock?

I think the door closing for me is the sense of privacy but from whom??? I’m alone!! Something weird going on in my head.

"Yes.

I live in a shared house with 5 men tho.

Lu "

You’re excused as being perfectly ‘normal.’

By *isAdventure69Woman  over a year ago

Hampshire

I don't even shut the door ...

I'm generally useless with security , I've left my keys on the front door on the outside many a time and seldom lock the French windows ...

"No locks on doors including bathroom (door/frame warped). We were advised by fire brigade (when fitting smoke alarms) to ensure all internal doors are shut as much as possible as an extra layer of protection in the event of a fire.

J x"

Now, this is what I do. I close all the doors but hadn’t thought about the fire implications. I think I’ve just realised it’s because I like the cosiness of a room with the door closed. It feels like a private space hugging me when I’m alone.

"Mine is always open a tiny bit for the cat to come in and out.

If I didnt have the cat and lived alone though this would be my logic too"

My soul mate.

By *uke OzadeMan  over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

I rarely even lock the house and have latches on the internal doors but I still close my bedroom door anyway

"I don't even shut the door ...

I'm generally useless with security , I've left my keys on the front door on the outside many a time and seldom lock the French windows ...

"

I often forget or lose my keys and I have left the keys in the door at rented properties many times. For this reason, my doors at home are always electronic. It also helps when I have guests who don’t need keys to come and go.

"I rarely even lock the house and have latches on the internal doors but I still close my bedroom door anyway "

You close the door but wouldn’t lock it, is that right?

Ho Chi Minge City

"I rarely even lock the house and have latches on the internal doors but I still close my bedroom door anyway

You close the door but wouldn’t lock it, is that right?"

It’s a cottage so just has latches which can be opened either side but generally the front or back door are unlocked anyway

I'm the opposite, all doors open and no locks on internal doors, actually very rarely lock external doors

"I rarely even lock the house and have latches on the internal doors but I still close my bedroom door anyway

It’s a cottage so just has latches which can be opened either side but generally the front or back door are unlocked anyway "

I wonder if I could do that now, leaving everything unlock in the manner.

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

If they get into your house I would suspect getting into your bedroom wouldn't be much of a problem.

Perhaps this will make them all the more eager to get into your bedroom and see what is so good it needs to be locked away.

"I'm the opposite, all doors open and no locks on internal doors, actually very rarely lock external doors "

Do you live alone?

"I'm the opposite, all doors open and no locks on internal doors, actually very rarely lock external doors

Do you live alone?"

Yup

Opposite. Always slightly open.

"I'm the opposite, all doors open and no locks on internal doors, actually very rarely lock external doors

Do you live alone?

Yup "

In my old house the front door lock broke and we couldn't lock it for eight years! So even when we went away it was unlocked hahahahahahahaha

Ho Chi Minge City

It’s a cottage so just has latches which can be opened either side but generally the front or back door are unlocked anyway

I wonder if I could do that now, leaving everything unlock in the manner."

I is never used to when I lived in an urban area but out in the sticks I’ve got nothing to worry about. I lock the house if I’m away for a few days but day to day when I go to work it’s unlocked

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

We don't have locks on any internal doors, we keep the external doors locked all the time though (unless we're walking through them!)

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I get into that mindset when I'm anxious, but have no internal locks on my doors (maybe bathroom but it doesn't work and I live alone, so *shrug*)

No I don’t, I think as someone above said if somebody breaks in I want easy access to them

Do you live alone?

Yup "

Interesting. I can’t seem to make myself leave it unlocked. I have no idea why.

"Opposite. Always slightly open. "

I’m beginning to wonder if I have trust issues.

Do you live alone?

Yup

In my old house the front door lock broke and we couldn't lock it for eight years! So even when we went away it was unlocked hahahahahahahaha "

That is HILARIOUS!! When I was little, we live in Malta for about 8 months. No one there locked any doors. Not sure if they do now.

The only time I've locked a bedroom door was to stop parents inadvertantly walking in when I was with a girl.

I wonder if I could do that now, leaving everything unlock in the manner.

I is never used to when I lived in an urban area but out in the sticks I’ve got nothing to worry about. I lock the house if I’m away for a few days but day to day when I go to work it’s unlocked "

Funnily enough, being out in the sticks makes me check everything is locked even more so. Urban, just shoot out the window. In the sticks, there’s no one to hear you.

i live alone, and only lock the main door. don't bother with anything else and i don't have locks on any bedroom doors. Px

"We don't have locks on any internal doors, we keep the external doors locked all the time though (unless we're walking through them!)"

See, this makes sense. Why do I feel the need to lock my bedroom door, to the extent that I will drag myself out of bed to check that it is.

You obviously haven’t mastered the art of materialising yourself through doors yet. Keep practising.

"I get into that mindset when I'm anxious, but have no internal locks on my doors (maybe bathroom but it doesn't work and I live alone, so *shrug*)"

As a matter of choice, you would lock it then? I am not an anxious person normally. Which is why this aspect had me wondering last night. Curioser and curioser.

Nottingham

"I would lock my bedroom door if it had one. I have previously done this when I lived in places that did have one fitted.

Do you know why you do it and where the habit came from. It would seem we are a rarity."

I live in a world with humans in it. A lot of humans are very bad. The more obstacles between my sleeping body and humans I don't know the better, frankly.

"No I don’t, I think as someone above said if somebody breaks in I want easy access to them "

I think they’d scarper after taking one look at you!! Unless it was a ‘she’ perhaps.

North West

"We don't have locks on any internal doors, we keep the external doors locked all the time though (unless we're walking through them!)

See, this makes sense. Why do I feel the need to lock my bedroom door, to the extent that I will drag myself out of bed to check that it is.

You obviously haven’t mastered the art of materialising yourself through doors yet. Keep practising."

The one special power I'd like to have is the ability to apparate like they do in Harry Potter! Mr KC has to obsessively check the external doors after we get in bed, but internal doors - nah.

"The only time I've locked a bedroom door was to stop parents inadvertantly walking in when I was with a girl."

More so to protect them from the shock than for your own privacy, I presume.

Manchester (she/her)

"I get into that mindset when I'm anxious, but have no internal locks on my doors (maybe bathroom but it doesn't work and I live alone, so *shrug*)

As a matter of choice, you would lock it then? I am not an anxious person normally. Which is why this aspect had me wondering last night. Curioser and curioser."

No, I don't think I would, and in fact I leave it open so my semi conscious arse can easily get to the loo in the middle of the night.

But when I'm most anxious I have a recurring nightmare about someone breaking in.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

We don't even have a lock on the bathroom door. But then we are all girls and family.

"i live alone, and only lock the main door. don't bother with anything else and i don't have locks on any bedroom doors. Px "

Do you even close the bedroom door at night?

"I would lock my bedroom door if it had one. I have previously done this when I lived in places that did have one fitted.

Do you know why you do it and where the habit came from. It would seem we are a rarity.

I live in a world with humans in it. A lot of humans are very bad. The more obstacles between my sleeping body and humans I don't know the better, frankly.

"

You’re 6’4”!!! If you don’t feel safe, what chance have I got??!

"We don't have locks on any internal doors, we keep the external doors locked all the time though (unless we're walking through them!)

You obviously haven’t mastered the art of materialising yourself through doors yet. Keep practising.

The one special power I'd like to have is the ability to apparate like they do in Harry Potter! Mr KC has to obsessively check the external doors after we get in bed, but internal doors - nah."

That’s me as well. I check all the windows and doors as well!!!

"I get into that mindset when I'm anxious, but have no internal locks on my doors (maybe bathroom but it doesn't work and I live alone, so *shrug*)

As a matter of choice, you would lock it then? I am not an anxious person normally. Which is why this aspect had me wondering last night. Curioser and curioser.

No, I don't think I would, and in fact I leave it open so my semi conscious arse can easily get to the loo in the middle of the night.

But when I'm most anxious I have a recurring nightmare about someone breaking in."

Urgh, that would be horrible. I sometimes hear creaks and pops when the wood cools in the house at night. I feel safe because my bedroom door is locked. I don’t bother going check until it’s daylight.

The only internal door that has a lock is the bathroom. I keep the external doors locked at all times though even though they can't be opened from the outside.

"We don't even have a lock on the bathroom door. But then we are all girls and family. "

Oh, to be a guest in your house.

Manchester (she/her)

But when I'm most anxious I have a recurring nightmare about someone breaking in.

Urgh, that would be horrible. I sometimes hear creaks and pops when the wood cools in the house at night. I feel safe because my bedroom door is locked. I don’t bother going check until it’s daylight. "

I live in an apartment block, not ground floor, so realistically I'm pretty safe.

"The only internal door that has a lock is the bathroom. I keep the external doors locked at all times though even though they can't be opened from the outside. "

Why? Do you not feel safe with them unlocked? Fear of what?

"The only time I've locked a bedroom door was to stop parents inadvertantly walking in when I was with a girl.

More so to protect them from the shock than for your own privacy, I presume. "

In truth I used to lock the door and tell them I had a girl with me but really it was just me and my hand. Again.

"The only time I've locked a bedroom door was to stop parents inadvertantly walking in when I was with a girl.

More so to protect them from the shock than for your own privacy, I presume.

In truth I used to lock the door and tell them I had a girl with me but really it was just me and my hand. Again."

We’ve all been there, brother.

"No I don’t, I think as someone above said if somebody breaks in I want easy access to them

I think they’d scarper after taking one look at you!! Unless it was a ‘she’ perhaps. "

That made me laugh

"The only internal door that has a lock is the bathroom. I keep the external doors locked at all times though even though they can't be opened from the outside.

Why? Do you not feel safe with them unlocked? Fear of what?"

I don't know to be honest, it's just a habit. My area is very safe, the back garden completely secure and one of my best friends is a rather large Staff.

"The only internal door that has a lock is the bathroom. I keep the external doors locked at all times though even though they can't be opened from the outside.

I don't know to be honest, it's just a habit. My area is very safe, the back garden completely secure and one of my best friends is a rather large Staff. "

I’m the same. My area is very safe. I don’t know why the more alone I am out in the middle of nowhere, the more so I check the locks. It’s not like the local badgers are going to open the door and ransack my fridge.

Manchester (she/her)

"No I don’t, I think as someone above said if somebody breaks in I want easy access to them

I think they’d scarper after taking one look at you!! Unless it was a ‘she’ perhaps.

That made me laugh "

*Prepares house breaking kit*

That made me laugh

*Prepares house breaking kit* "

That made me laugh

*Prepares house breaking kit*

"

He wants easy access to you.

I don't know to be honest, it's just a habit. My area is very safe, the back garden completely secure and one of my best friends is a rather large Staff.

I’m the same. My area is very safe. I don’t know why the more alone I am out in the middle of nowhere, the more so I check the locks. It’s not like the local badgers are going to open the door and ransack my fridge."

Well badgers are sneaky things, they might do

I’m the same. My area is very safe. I don’t know why the more alone I am out in the middle of nowhere, the more so I check the locks. It’s not like the local badgers are going to open the door and ransack my fridge.

Well badgers are sneaky things, they might do "

I live in fear of the little blighters. I mean, for heaven’s sake, how can I trust a creature that never removes its mask!!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I just lock external doors and close internals to, which helps to restrict light in the morning waking me up too early.

By *oonsterblue74Man  over a year ago

Tyne and Wear

"I’m lying in bed and it has just struck me that I may have an odd habit. I live alone but I lock my bedroom door when I retire to it. I do it because should anyone break into the house, they can empty it for all I care but there’s an extra barrier to get to me. I don’t lock the door when I have family or guests staying; only when I’m alone.

Locking the bed room door is a fire hazard and will delay you should you need to escape.

By *moothshaftMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Yes I lock my bedroom door too!

Mainly because I wank most nights to porn, and it's to stop my wife or kids walking in!

"I just lock external doors and close internals to, which helps to restrict light in the morning waking me up too early. "

Internal doors are not a matter of sense of security then?

Does anyone else lock their bedroom door at night? Locking the bed room door is a fire hazard and will delay you should you need to escape. "

What if the fire is elsewhere in the house? Won’t the door help keep the smoke out?

"Yes I lock my bedroom door too!

Mainly because I wank most nights to porn, and it's to stop my wife or kids walking in! "

It’s good that you keep them safe from you.

By *moothshaftMan  over a year ago

Coventry

"Yes I lock my bedroom door too!

Mainly because I wank most nights to porn, and it's to stop my wife or kids walking in!

It’s good that you keep them safe from you. "

We leave all doors open in the hope that a gang of strange men come in and ravage Nicky. As long as they don't steal my Xbox, it's all good!

North West

The one special power I'd like to have is the ability to apparate like they do in Harry Potter! Mr KC has to obsessively check the external doors after we get in bed, but internal doors - nah.

That’s me as well. I check all the windows and doors as well!!!"

He gets all snuggly in bed then gets up to check the doors

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

I don't lock my bedroom door, but I do have to have it closed at night and a window open, not wide enough for the bloody cat to get in then complain that the door is closed.

"Don’t lock any doors and the keys are left in all our cars but we live in the middle of no where and our area is very safe.

T"

Yeah we thought that too until we where burgled twice in a few weeks and my motorbike was stolen (didnt leave the keys in it)

"We leave all doors open in the hope that a gang of strange men come in and ravage Nicky. As long as they don't steal my Xbox, it's all good! "

. Bloody fantastic.

That’s me as well. I check all the windows and doors as well!!!

He gets all snuggly in bed then gets up to check the doors "

Yes, yes!!! That’s me. I will doze off sometimes and suddenly jolt awake, realising i hadn’t checked, the proceed to do it. The worst thing is, I know they’re locked because they were locked yesterday and hadn’t been opened since.

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

I’ve often thought about it as I live in quite a big house which used to be full of people but now it’s just me most nights. Similar thoughts as the OP that burglars can take whatever they like from the rest of the house , but then I get hot at night and like breeze blowing through the bedroom so nahhhh

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

I used to have a front door that wasn't happy being locked or unlocked from inside so it was permanently unlocked with thee chain over. When I expressed my nervousness about if someone cut the chain this to my Dad he pointed out if someone had bolt cutters they were getting into the house even if it was lock so just leave them to take whatever they wanted and hide

I love my dad

"I don't lock my bedroom door, but I do have to have it closed at night and a window open, not wide enough for the bloody cat to get in then complain that the door is closed."

Cats...so imperious, thinking you live for them.

T

Yeah we thought that too until we where burgled twice in a few weeks and my motorbike was stolen (didnt leave the keys in it) "

That’s what I mean. It only takes that one time, even if the chances are out of a million.

"I’ve often thought about it as I live in quite a big house which used to be full of people but now it’s just me most nights. Similar thoughts as the OP that burglars can take whatever they like from the rest of the house , but then I get hot at night and like breeze blowing through the bedroom so nahhhh "

Don’t you feel more cosy with the door closed, particularly because the house is big?

I do. Well everything gets locked and checked 10+ times but that's another thread story.

They say it's about making a safe space for yourself. You probably don't even realise why you did it. I didn't.

"I used to have a front door that wasn't happy being locked or unlocked from inside so it was permanently unlocked with thee chain over. When I expressed my nervousness about if someone cut the chain this to my Dad he pointed out if someone had bolt cutters they were getting into the house even if it was lock so just leave them to take whatever they wanted and hide

I love my dad "

Yes, that’s my theory. Take whatever you want but don’t come into my bedroom.

"I do. Well everything gets locked and checked 10+ times but that's another thread story.

They say it's about making a safe space for yourself. You probably don't even realise why you did it. I didn't. "

Yes to every word you have written. Checking and rechecking, safe space in the guise of cosiness and no explanation as to how this came to be.

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

"I used to have a front door that wasn't happy being locked or unlocked from inside so it was permanently unlocked with thee chain over. When I expressed my nervousness about if someone cut the chain this to my Dad he pointed out if someone had bolt cutters they were getting into the house even if it was lock so just leave them to take whatever they wanted and hide

I love my dad

Yes, that’s my theory. Take whatever you want but don’t come into my bedroom."

To be honest - they'd be disappointed with my house anyway as nothing really worth stealing apart from heavy ass solid wood furniture that takes at least two people to move

I love my dad

To be honest - they'd be disappointed with my house anyway as nothing really worth stealing apart from heavy ass solid wood furniture that takes at least two people to move "

I’d probably pay them to remove my furniture. I need a sofa and a bed to be removed!!

"I do. Well everything gets locked and checked 10+ times but that's another thread story.

They say it's about making a safe space for yourself. You probably don't even realise why you did it. I didn't.

Yes to every word you have written. Checking and rechecking, safe space in the guise of cosiness and no explanation as to how this came to be."

Oh there will be a reason. 100%. It's finding what happened earlier in life that made you feel you need to make a safe space for yourself dude.

Yes to every word you have written. Checking and rechecking, safe space in the guise of cosiness and no explanation as to how this came to be.

Oh there will be a reason. 100%. It's finding what happened earlier in life that made you feel you need to make a safe space for yourself dude. "

I guessed as much but I can’t think what it could be. Probably wouldn’t really want to find out. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I don’t see this habit being harmful to my life in general. Just a peculiarity of mine.

North West

I love my dad

To be honest - they'd be disappointed with my house anyway as nothing really worth stealing apart from heavy ass solid wood furniture that takes at least two people to move "

Same here, we have very little gadgetry, our TV is small and old, laptops are basic work ones etc. Nowt to nick! My car has a hand operated clutch so I doubt they'd work that out quickly enough to steal either

Having thought about this after reading some of the posts here, I realise it’s my fear of someone invading my space. They can empty out the house but must not come into the immediate space that I am occupying. There, issue resolved. I can sleep in peace now.

i would be worried that if there was a fire there was an extra barrier for the firemen to free me

i think because there was a fire in my family home as a kid (luckily day time everyone was out) i see that as a bigger risk than an intruder

I don't have a lock xx

"i would be worried that if there was a fire there was an extra barrier for the firemen to free me

i think because there was a fire in my family home as a kid (luckily day time everyone was out) i see that as a bigger risk than an intruder "

Wouldn’t the door help keep the smoke and fire out? Seal your room as much as possible is what I would likely do if I couldn’t go running out to the garden.

"I don't have a lock xx"

I suspect you wouldn’t lock it regardless.

"i would be worried that if there was a fire there was an extra barrier for the firemen to free me

i think because there was a fire in my family home as a kid (luckily day time everyone was out) i see that as a bigger risk than an intruder

Wouldn’t the door help keep the smoke and fire out? Seal your room as much as possible is what I would likely do if I couldn’t go running out to the garden."

the internal doors are all closed and that creates a barrier for smoke and fire , but a lock doesn’t add any fire protection, only one more barrier to getting out or someone reaching you in an emergency

"

the internal doors are all closed and that creates a barrier for smoke and fire , but a lock doesn’t add any fire protection, only one more barrier to getting out or someone reaching you in an emergency "

True. I’ve never lived somewhere where i can’t easily get out into the garden. I would probably need to rethink the lock if it were a tower block.

Nottingham

You’re 6’4”!!! If you don’t feel safe, what chance have I got??!"

I'm 6' 8". I do feel reasonably safe, because of the steps I take to protect myself. We have similar chances if we're both asleep.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

Wouldn’t the door help keep the smoke and fire out? Seal your room as much as possible is what I would likely do if I couldn’t go running out to the garden.

the internal doors are all closed and that creates a barrier for smoke and fire , but a lock doesn’t add any fire protection, only one more barrier to getting out or someone reaching you in an emergency "

This is how I see it.

I also think if an intruder broke into my house while I was in it it'd be enough to send me to the psych ward anyway so having them finish the job would be better for me in the long term than having me living in terror and unable to sleep from that point forward. That's one hell of a burden to leave someone with.

I'm 6' 8". I do feel reasonably safe, because of the steps I take to protect myself. We have similar chances if we're both asleep. "

I’d you lie very still, they may think you’re a huge mannequin.

[Removed by poster at 16/04/21 13:17:27]

the internal doors are all closed and that creates a barrier for smoke and fire , but a lock doesn’t add any fire protection, only one more barrier to getting out or someone reaching you in an emergency

This is how I see it.

I also think if an intruder broke into my house while I was in it it'd be enough to send me to the psych ward anyway so having them finish the job would be better for me in the long term than having me living in terror and unable to sleep from that point forward. That's one hell of a burden to leave someone with."

It would be terrifying. I think mine is as much to do with my personal space as the thought of intruders.

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I don't even like having the door shut, let alone locked.

But then I have cats, so they come in and out all night.

I always sleep on the side of the bed furthest away from the door though, for those extra seconds in case anyone comes up the stairs

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

"I’ve often thought about it as I live in quite a big house which used to be full of people but now it’s just me most nights. Similar thoughts as the OP that burglars can take whatever they like from the rest of the house , but then I get hot at night and like breeze blowing through the bedroom so nahhhh

Don’t you feel more cosy with the door closed, particularly because the house is big?"

I do actually have it closed when I’m in bed watching Netflix or whatever, it makes me feel more private even if it’s just me

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Apart from the downstairs loo, none of my internal doors have locks.

"I don't even like having the door shut, let alone locked.

I always sleep on the side of the bed furthest away from the door though, for those extra seconds in case anyone comes up the stairs "

Good idea. Plump up the ‘empty’ side with pillows to make it look like someone’s there. That’ll get you a precious extra 2 second.

"I’ve often thought about it as I live in quite a big house which used to be full of people but now it’s just me most nights. Similar thoughts as the OP that burglars can take whatever they like from the rest of the house , but then I get hot at night and like breeze blowing through the bedroom so nahhhh

Don’t you feel more cosy with the door closed, particularly because the house is big?

I do actually have it closed when I’m in bed watching Netflix or whatever, it makes me feel more private even if it’s just me "

That’s how it feels. Although I’m alone at home, the bedroom feels like my intimate space. I think you understand.

"Apart from the downstairs loo, none of my internal doors have locks. "

This seems to be the norm, judging by the responses here.

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

I don’t lock my doors. Anyone coming through my bedroom door when I have gone to bed better have their own lube.

By *ed VoluptaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral.

"Apart from the downstairs loo, none of my internal doors have locks. "

My bathroom doesn't even have a lock.

And I never fully close any internal doors - as soon as I do, the cat wants in or out x

"I don’t lock my doors. Anyone coming through my bedroom door when I have gone to bed better have their own lube. "

Sounds like you’d enjoy it

"Apart from the downstairs loo, none of my internal doors have locks.

And I never fully close any internal doors - as soon as I do, the cat wants in or out x"

Pussy wants in or out??

Wirral.

And I never fully close any internal doors - as soon as I do, the cat wants in or out x

Pussy wants in or out?? "

I have a very contrary pussy

North West

Pussy wants in or out??

I have a very contrary pussy "

I can confirm, I met it

Pussy wants in or out??

I have a very contrary pussy "

Look what Tmontana says above. He wants easy access. He’ll help pussy decide.

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I always sleep on the side of the bed furthest away from the door though, for those extra seconds in case anyone comes up the stairs

Good idea. Plump up the ‘empty’ side with pillows to make it look like someone’s there. That’ll get you a precious extra 2 second. "

To be fair, one of the cats would probably take any one out on the stairs

Pussy wants in or out??

I can confirm, I met it "

Were you left dazed by its indecision?

Good idea. Plump up the ‘empty’ side with pillows to make it look like someone’s there. That’ll get you a precious extra 2 second.

To be fair, one of the cats would probably take any one out on the stairs "

A guard cat. Who needs a dog, eh?

Nottingham

I'm 6' 8". I do feel reasonably safe, because of the steps I take to protect myself. We have similar chances if we're both asleep.

I’d you lie very still, they may think you’re a huge mannequin."

Well, I'm already widely considered a massive dummy.

North West

Pussy wants in or out??

I can confirm, I met it

Were you left dazed by its indecision?"

It was very in and out

I’d you lie very still, they may think you’re a huge mannequin.

Well, I'm already widely considered a massive dummy. "

Nice one, you have them fooled. Now you’ll look twice as intelligent.

Wirral.

Pussy wants in or out??

I can confirm, I met it

Were you left dazed by its indecision?

It was very in and out "

Cuthbert awaits further petting sessions, at your leisure KC

By *issysbee69Woman  over a year ago

Brandenburg

Hell the front door most of the time isn't even locked....

.but I have locked it, when I am alone and my toys are making an appearance

Not my own but i do lock one room purely because ive had alot of issues with that certain room when people stay in or spend time in there.

No I hate my door even being shut, in any room I am in. Throwback to needing to be able to hear babies crying or waking in the night, I hate my hearing being muffled by doors. I think a burglar would realise there is bugger all to steal from his house long before he got upstairs. And I have dogs as stranger alarms too

"Not my own but i do lock one room purely because ive had alot of issues with that certain room when people stay in or spend time in there. "

Sounds intrigueing.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Yes shut and lock our bedroom door at night, also shut all internal doors.

Apart from kitchen cats get the kitchen and dining room at night.

But always sleep with window and one eye open.

Tradecraft

"Not my own but i do lock one room purely because ive had alot of issues with that certain room when people stay in or spend time in there.

Sounds intrigueing. "

Joys of old houses

"Not my own but i do lock one room purely because ive had alot of issues with that certain room when people stay in or spend time in there.

Sounds intrigueing.

Joys of old houses "

Ooh Im sensing ghosts

Sounds intrigueing.

Joys of old houses

Ooh Im sensing ghosts "

Its something thats been causing havoc for afew years leaving that door locked stopped it. It was my neices bedroom but ive moved her to another room now.

By *ixieandfairyCouple  over a year ago

St Helier

If I didnt have the cat and lived alone though this would be my logic too"

Same here! My Lola would scratch at the door otherwise! As it is she wakes me up by banging on the shower door to turn the tap on in the bidet so she can have a drink!

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I don’t always even lock the door to our house. And I don’t have a lock on my bedroom door.

When my middle kid was 5 or 6 she would investigate any time we locked a door. Sunday afternoon delight was often ruined by her enquiries and knocking. As soon as we would let her in she would wander away again instantly uninterested

No locks on internal doors. I find that odd and a little paranoid.

Ours stays open a little to allow the little queen of the house that is the cat, the ability to come in and out as she pleases.

I don't have internal locks but external doors are locked all the time. My bedroom door is left half open as closing it makes me feel I'm shutting something in with me

I do this when I am in places I’m not familiar with, I close all doors! And the bedroom I sleep in, lol just to be sure.

For whatever reason also I can’t sleep with a wardrobe door open... weird

"No locks on internal doors. I find that odd and a little paranoid.

"

Definitely not a paranoia trait.

Do you close the bathroom door if you live alone?

"Do you close the bathroom door if you live alone? "

No

Nottingham

"Do you close the bathroom door if you live alone? "

Strangely, given how assiduous I am about closing all the other doors, no. It's often so I can still hear whatever I was listening to in the other room, though.

After watching some LPL I found locks are only to keep honest people honest and 90% off locks are a joke and and be opened In less that 10 seconds

keep a key in the lock at all times prevents it though but apart they useless

By *heDesiCandiTV/TS  over a year ago

visiting

Sometimes I forget to lock my front door - remembering to lock the bedroom door would just break me

"Hell the front door most of the time isn't even locked....

.but I have locked it, when I am alone and my toys are making an appearance "

What? Only the front door. Does anyone else have the keys to it? I mean, it would certainly ruin my mood if they were to walk past my bedroom with its open door. You never know.

[Removed by poster at 18/04/21 11:24:43]

"No I hate my door even being shut, in any room I am in. Throwback to needing to be able to hear babies crying or waking in the night, I hate my hearing being muffled by doors. I think a burglar would realise there is bugger all to steal from his house long before he got upstairs. And I have dogs as stranger alarms too "

Funnily enough, with guests staying, I’m less likely to even close my door, especially when family are staying. I never close it when my son is at home.

"Yes shut and lock our bedroom door at night, also shut all internal doors.

Apart from kitchen cats get the kitchen and dining room at night.

But always sleep with window and one eye open.

Tradecraft"

Intriguing. Tradecraft. Do you drive a DB5 and carry a Walther PPK as well?

Sounds intrigueing.

Joys of old houses

Ooh Im sensing ghosts

Its something thats been causing havoc for afew years leaving that door locked stopped it. It was my neices bedroom but ive moved her to another room now. "

I have no havoc being wreaked but I get plenty of those pops and cracks as the house cools at night. Windy days are the creepiest!

[Removed by poster at 18/04/21 11:39:50]

Only to stop my mum walking in on me when I'm wanking.

If I didnt have the cat and lived alone though this would be my logic too

Same here! My Lola would scratch at the door otherwise! As it is she wakes me up by banging on the shower door to turn the tap on in the bidet so she can have a drink! "

Wow, that’s an erudite cat.

"I don’t always even lock the door to our house. And I don’t have a lock on my bedroom door. "

With no bedroom lock, wouldn’t you even think of locking you main door? So many of you don’t lock your doors.

"When my middle kid was 5 or 6 she would investigate any time we locked a door. Sunday afternoon delight was often ruined by her enquiries and knocking. As soon as we would let her in she would wander away again instantly uninterested "

I have heard many similar tales told of their little ‘uns. Karma, I say. They’ll get theirs when their time comes.

"

I am. It’s one in a million chance. One in only a million!!

"Ours stays open a little to allow the little queen of the house that is the cat, the ability to come in and out as she pleases."

Seems like cats rule many households in this thread. Little imperious rascals!

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I keep my door open ..my mum's alarm box has to be in my room

"I don't have internal locks but external doors are locked all the time. My bedroom door is left half open as closing it makes me feel I'm shutting something in with me "

This made me spit out the coffee I was trying to suck up through my Twix bar (see Slurpy thread. It’s an art, apparently). Now, THAT is paranoid or is it reverse psychology???

"Do you close the bathroom door if you live alone?

Strangely, given how assiduous I am about closing all the other doors, no. It's often so I can still hear whatever I was listening to in the other room, though. "

Likewise. I leave my bathroom door wide open when I’m in there but close it when I’m out of it. .....caveat being that my bedroom door is already locked.

Does anyone else lock their bedroom door at night?

I do this when I am in places I’m not familiar with, I close all doors! And the bedroom I sleep in, lol just to be sure.

For whatever reason also I can’t sleep with a wardrobe door open... weird"

I don’t have wardrobes in my room but I would have to close them as well, if I did.

Definitely not a paranoia trait."

I’m sensing you’re implying I have some sort of psychological reason for my behaviour and not merely some sort of weird peccadillo.

"After watching some LPL I found locks are only to keep honest people honest and 90% off locks are a joke and and be opened In less that 10 seconds

keep a key in the lock at all times prevents it though but apart they useless "

Interesting. I wonder how naughty and dishonest I’d be if I didn’t lock myself in when I’m alone. I may go around mole*sting myself more often!!!