FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > It's usually "you're", not "your", that you want.

It's usually "you're", not "your", that you want.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ewdtenant OP   Man  over a year ago

Sheffield

Just saying. I know I'm a grammar Nazi, but it's a very common error and can give a poor impression.

I have my fire extinguisher ready.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Theiy'er we all know now

Meh dont need an education to put my dick in a blender

"Just saying. I know I'm a grammar Nazi, but it's a very common error and can give a poor impression.

I have my fire extinguisher ready."

OK thanks for you're tip.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Theiy'er we all no know "

Whether its your or you're or yore you can still get the meaning by context - English is good like that.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I only ever say "you are". The only contractions here are those of my pelvic floor

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

Furst whirled problims

Hows yous too nite OP. I should of been paying attention in skool. Thx. I know how to use the words properly now

By *gent CoulsonMan  over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

What annoys me more than bad grammar, is mispronunciation, where I live, they don't get a bus, it's a buzz, they don't go to the hospital, they go to the hospickle. It really does do my head in

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"What annoys me more than bad grammar, is mispronunciation, where I live, they don't get a bus, it's a buzz, they don't go to the hospital, they go to the hospickle. It really does do my head in"

Booooooooooook is a favourite one here, as is buzz. To be fair, we miss at least half of all the bits of words off round here. We go t' shop. Etc.

"What annoys me more than bad grammar, is mispronunciation, where I live, they don't get a bus, it's a buzz, they don't go to the hospital, they go to the hospickle. It really does do my head in"

Isn't that just local dialect rather than mispronunciation?

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"Whether its your or you're or yore you can still get the meaning by context - English is good like that."

Some people like gooder English though.

"What annoys me more than bad grammar, is mispronunciation, where I live, they don't get a bus, it's a buzz, they don't go to the hospital, they go to the hospickle. It really does do my head in

Booooooooooook is a favourite one here, as is buzz. To be fair, we miss at least half of all the bits of words off round here. We go t' shop. Etc."

ot t'Asda

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

You spelled lieutenant wrong by the way

Your being to much, it isn't you're place too say that my grammar is bad.

L o L

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

"Hows yous too nite OP. I should of been paying attention in skool. Thx. I know how to use the words properly now"
yous seems to get it innit.

bad words innit m8, funnies yous innit.

I've seen essays written like this.

"Whether its your or you're or yore you can still get the meaning by context - English is good like that.

Some people like gooder English though."

ye, should speak proper like what I do

"Just saying. I know I'm a grammar Nazi, but it's a very common error and can give a poor impression.

Your kidding me...

"Whether its your or you're or yore you can still get the meaning by context - English is good like that.

Some people like gooder English though."

Reminds me of my niece who has learning difficulties - she spells everything phonetically - still know what she means though.

English is a mish mash of lots of other languages all smashed together and is malleable and elastic. It is something organic which lives and breathes and mutates over time - that is where it's beauty lies.

"Hows yous too nite OP. I should of been paying attention in skool. Thx. I know how to use the words properly now yous seems to get it innit.

I've seen essays written like this."

Please tell me you jest!!

"Whether its your or you're or yore you can still get the meaning by context - English is good like that."

100% this for me, i even find my brain swap out words for things that just sound the same because it goes faster than my hands can type and i read it back and go

if i can get the point someone is trying to make i couldn’t care less about their grammar, not trying to grade papers

language also evolves over time and with it being less and less formally written now, it wouldn’t surprise me if grammar rules evolve and become less important too

"I only ever say "you are". The only contractions here are those of my pelvic floor "

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I hate making pour impreshuns

100% this for me, i even find my brain swap out words for things that just sound the same because it goes faster than my hands can type and i read it back and go

if i can get the point someone is trying to make i couldn’t care less about their grammar, not trying to grade papers

language also evolves over time and with it being less and less formally written now, it wouldn’t surprise me if grammar rules evolve and become less important too "

My brain does that to. And when I'm reading I often realise I've re-written a sentence in my head and read it like that.

Tatooine

"Hows yous too nite OP. I should of been paying attention in skool. Thx. I know how to use the words properly now yous seems to get it innit.

I've seen essays written like this.

Please tell me you jest!!"

I say essay, they write about one side of A4 and yes, that bad.

By *arlot_CharlotteWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

I’m a cunning linguist (no lies!) and I find it such a turn off when I read poorly written profiles I appreciate we’re all different and it doesn’t bother some in the slightest - but if you excite my brain, I’m wetter than an otter’s pocket

language also evolves over time and with it being less and less formally written now, it wouldn’t surprise me if grammar rules evolve and become less important too

My brain does that to. And when I'm reading I often realise I've re-written a sentence in my head and read it like that."

life was easier on paper when your brain also knew what letter shapes it had put to paper , now every letter is the same motion of tap tap tap its harder to signal to the brain - wait the fingers are not keeping up with you we are 2 sentences behind

By *uke OzadeMan  over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

I mustard mitt I can’t stand it either when people just interpret grammar incorrectly. Try that round here and there will be reaper cushions.

I don't think poor grammar gives a bad impression at all.

I think people that feel the need to point it out when it's perfectly obvious what is being said gives a poor impression.

My brain does that to. And when I'm reading I often realise I've re-written a sentence in my head and read it like that.

life was easier on paper when your brain also knew what letter shapes it had put to paper , now every letter is the same motion of tap tap tap its harder to signal to the brain - wait the fingers are not keeping up with you we are 2 sentences behind "

The art of letter writing. Although I do enjoy the unintentional typos and corrections you can get when typing on a keyboard.

Tatooine

I’m a cunning linguist (no lies!) and I find it such a turn off when I read poorly written profiles I appreciate we’re all different and it doesn’t bother some in the slightest - but if you excite my brain, I’m wetter than an otter’s pocket "

Don't look at my profile in that case, (refering back to the reverse psychology tip, from the Magnum ice lolly stick).

I have very good English and know the difference, however, when I am typing fast I often make errors.

If your point was understood and it isn't an important letter or exam, I don't see why it matters.

Especially on something like a kik group chat or a fab forum

By *arlot_CharlotteWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

I’m a cunning linguist (no lies!) and I find it such a turn off when I read poorly written profiles I appreciate we’re all different and it doesn’t bother some in the slightest - but if you excite my brain, I’m wetter than an otter’s pocket Don't look at my profile in that case, (refering back to the reverse psychology tip, from the Magnum ice lolly stick)."

Ok then I won’t

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I’m a cunning linguist (no lies!) and I find it such a turn off when I read poorly written profiles I appreciate we’re all different and it doesn’t bother some in the slightest - but if you excite my brain, I’m wetter than an otter’s pocket "

It's also a generational aspect too. I take care with my messages, comments etc, but as an ex-proofreader with my own home based business years ago, I always check what I've written before sending it.

But, the number of times I have received favourable comments about my grammatically correct message, along with correct spelling & punctuation, the positivity in those people contacting me has resulted in me gaining a meet with people of my own age group.

Putting in that scholarly effort impressed them, and I did learn these persons were in turn, turned off with badly presented profiles and communication.

By *oistknickersCouple  over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 13/04/21 00:24:51]

"....but it's a very common error and can give a poor impression.

"

*Woody B - giving poor impressions since 1987...

Cheers op. Not only do we to tackle other misconceptions , we have the spelling Police telling us we not worth entertaining, as there are more worthy intelligent people that should be at the front of the queue.

(Spell checked with my iPhones autocorrect for “you’re” pleasure, not mine).

I am attracted to personality, you don’t need an A* for that.

Correcting someone's grammar can also give a poor impression. Just saying

I make that mistake once every so often. It isn't that I don't know any better I just forget. Or I'll unintentionally miss out words while typing out.

No biggie, just happens now and again when I don't reread properly.

I love pendants

By *.R.MMan  over a year ago

Norfolk

Get orf moi laaand

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

The grammar police, the only people who love to put others down even though they understand exactly what the person is saying.

Sure it's a kind of snobbery, let's put people down, especially certain demographics which used to have their own dialects which they've adapted to the Queen's English or those who have dyslexia etc. You've learnt a load of rules in parrot fashion not exactly the pinnacle of intelligence is it?

[Removed by poster at 13/04/21 08:03:12]

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

My grammar nazi died ages ago...I've still got her iron cross

» Add a new message to this topic