FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sciatica.....

Sciatica.....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *evaquit OP   Couple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

...really hurts. Bum and back of the legs are agonising, is there any relief? Only the second time it's happened, didn't quite understand the first time.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I use a tens unit for mine.

By *offiaCoolWoman  over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Acupuncture worked for me, no pain over 15 years ago.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

When you lie down, prop the affected leg up on pillows. High pillows. Takes the pressure off the lower back and eases the pain slightly.

"I use a tens unit for mine."

Tens is the business

Failing that I found heat a great help, even a good old hot water bottle

By *amie HantsWoman  over a year ago

Atlantis

If you sleep on your side, having a pillow between your knees helps.

If you sit at a desk for work, I’d try alternating between sitting and standing. Stand up desks make such a difference

By *hesexpistolsCouple  over a year ago

Kent

Tens definitely the way. The electrastim got a new lease of life!

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"If you sleep on your side, having a pillow between your knees helps.

If you sit at a desk for work, I’d try alternating between sitting and standing. Stand up desks make such a difference "

Pillow between your knees worked for me. But it was a pregnancy pillow so you kinda spoon it.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Pain killers from the doc when mine flares up and as someone else mentioned about sleep laying on ya side with pillow bwtween ya knees seems to help at night

Had this problem for years, I've found laying on your back, knees bent to a comfortable position, until the pain subsides then with your knees together move them side to side. All movement should be done gently if there is any pain at all stop until it stops then begin again.

By *akedduo66Couple  over a year ago

Near Bordon

I (male half) used to suffer badly with this.

Nothing worked until I worked up my core muscles with press ups and sit ups, I do one or the other nearly every day.

Each case is probably different but that is what works for me.

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

Heat pads or electric blanket, tens machine and I use prescription anti inflammatory pain relief gels with it, pain meds, usually a slow release but keep topped up in between.

Raised and propped helps, when I am bad, I am surrounded with pillows. I find the full length body pillow helps.

Baths can relieve pain but be careful getting in and out. I found that to difficult when ever I was very bad.

Hope you get some relief

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

Stretching the sciatic nerve can give relief over time.

Sit up and put your leg out in front of you...perfectly straight.

Push your chest out and ease forward.

It will kill but if you hold for a minute it will subside.

After a few days of this, hook a towel over your foot and keeping your back straight and chest pushed out, pull on the towel.

This stretch works with patients I treated in the past.

Short term -ibuprofen and ice/cold applied to the area helps remove inflammation.

I've had it in the past to the point where it needed surgical intervention. It's worth getting it checked out to identify the cause. Not medical advice, but I was given painkillers (eg ibuprofen, paracetamol or co-codamol - check what can be combined with what). Bed rest was usually limited to a couple of days if needed. Then gentle movement, like walking. Don't overdo it. If it hurts don't do it any more. In terms of prevention, look up Stuart McGill (professor of spinal biomechanics). He advocates the "big three" exercises (simple ones) to strengthen the core. Good luck.

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Definitely pillows.

Tennis ball under your bum cheek at the source of the pain also helps, as you lie in bed.

Alternate hot/cold pack on area too.

By *arker secrets 321Man  over a year ago

West Bromwich

My nephew as same problem 4 couple of years tried everything till he tried yoga swears by it x

I had it for a few days after sleeping in a different bed. I used Advance7 cream and that seemed to work for me.

By *amie HantsWoman  over a year ago

Atlantis

If you sit at a desk for work, I’d try alternating between sitting and standing. Stand up desks make such a difference

Pillow between your knees worked for me. But it was a pregnancy pillow so you kinda spoon it. "

I was thinking of getting one of those for this. I’m a wiggly sleeper so I want something I can spoon so it stands a chance if staying between my legs!

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Pillow between your knees worked for me. But it was a pregnancy pillow so you kinda spoon it.

I was thinking of getting one of those for this. I’m a wiggly sleeper so I want something I can spoon so it stands a chance if staying between my legs! "

That's exactly why I found it works for me, I'm less likely to roll about with one. I've found them really good.

By *razzyhorseMan  over a year ago

cambridge

Hot and cold compress on your back. Half hour hot as you can bear then ice pack for half hour. Repeat for as long as you can helps the muscles in your back relax. Works every time!

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I see a Chiropractor when mine plays up - only thing that really shortens the time I’m in pain with it.

I took up running, and it really helped, the pain before was bad

By *ickingFantasticMan  over a year ago

Fareham

Several years ago for me, saw a chiroproactor instead of just taking the anti-inflammatories the GP prescribed, went in bent over double, walked out standing straight on the first visit (albeit for only about 10 mins, so more sessions required) Advice I got while seeing him was cold pack on affected area wrapped in towel for 20 mins at a time a couple of times a day, exercise to build up core muscles which would hopefully prevent in my case the trapped nerve popping out again. But I am guessing each persons reason for sciatica is probably different so need to identify cause to choose the right solution for you

Catthorpe

Really appreciate the advice, just trying the pillow between the legs as struggling to sleep, will give the stretching and the cold packs ago. Ordering a tens too. Thanks. Xx

By *ch WellMan  over a year ago

Scotland

As a couple have mentioned, chiropractor and tennis ball. I personally didn't get much relief with tens machine

What’s a tens..??

I get it quite often these days after smashing my hip up in a motorbike accident just over 2yrs ago and I get the blasted thing from time to time now..willing to give that tens thing a bash for sure

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"If you sit at a desk for work, I’d try alternating between sitting and standing. Stand up desks make such a difference "

This is what sorted it out for me. Turns out that cramming a bloke my size into office furniture designed for normal people is a bad thing.

By *wiftieeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Technically, I don't have sciatica, it's the nerve next to the sciatic that affects me. The symptoms are the same but it only goes as far as the hips, the physio showed me on a life-size skeleton.

But it's just as sore, can last for a day, or several.

The first time it struck, I was on an overnight meet with a lady!!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Look up piriformis stretches. There's a small muscle that goes out from the pelvis to the thigh bone (I think) that can cause sciatica if it's tight.

By *hantasmagoriaWoman  over a year ago

Newport

Memory foam mattress! I suffer with it, have for years. When I. Changed yo a good memory foam it helped loads

Pills did’nt do anything for me.stretching and exercise helped in the end

Or see a physio ... and find out if it's true or false sciatica!

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"What’s a tens..??

I get it quite often these days after smashing my hip up in a motorbike accident just over 2yrs ago and I get the blasted thing from time to time now..willing to give that tens thing a bash for sure "

A machine with pads that you attach to sore area and it sends electro impulses that loosen out the area. I paid 80 euros for mine from boots. Have to replace the pads every so often but it's great.

By *ewrocksWoman  over a year ago

button moon

I went to a chiropractor. Went in using a walking stick, came out not needing it. Wasn't a complete instant fix, but the relief was amazing.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I've found a few stretches that help. Laying on your back and pulling your knee up towards your chest is one. The other is laying on your back with your knees bent and twisting your hips so your knees touch the floor beside you while turning your head the opposite way. That one really helps when I get those spasms around the coccyx.

By *aulupforitMan  over a year ago

Corbridge

"I use a tens unit for mine."

So do I but on my penis as well

Swimming seemed to ease it for me and sometimes cleared it completely.

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"I've found a few stretches that help. Laying on your back and pulling your knee up towards your chest is one. The other is laying on your back with your knees bent and twisting your hips so your knees touch the floor beside you while turning your head the opposite way. That one really helps when I get those spasms around the coccyx. "

I have previously found this helpful as well.

By *edheadjMan  over a year ago

High Wycombe

Another vote for sleeping with a pillow between your legs.

Yoga really helped me too

By *evensnipeMan  over a year ago

Rhyl

I suffered with this for a couple of years. I remember the moment it happened! I was just sending my children off to visit in laws in Malta . I'd driven to Manchester airport and got out and twisted my back as I lifted a rucksack out of the car. Something went 'Pop' in my back. I was off work for nearly a year. Saw a consultant and physiotherapist. Consultant wanted to do laminectomy but I decided against as the short term benefits are good but long term is no better than non surgical treatment.. Also the chance of ending up with more spinal damage. So I chose the slow therapeutic physio route. Eight months of daily physio at home four times a day and twice weekly to see physio. I got a stand up desk instead of sitting in a chair to do office work, a wedge cushion to raise my pelvis higher than knee when travelling on train or in car and a lordosis roll for the small lumbar curvature in my back. I got hold of a second-hand Granny/old peoples homestyle upright chair and got an additional wedge for that. Also attended a pilates class for men when I was more mobile. After a year I was pain free, Still pain free 18 years later! A neighbour with a similar problem had the laminectomy and is now on crutches or uses a wheelchair. I still use the wedge in the car and on long train journeys but otherwise I manage okay and can walk a few miles each day before I have to stop because I'm waiting for knee replacements!!!There is hope if you persist with the exercise.

Swimming helps me as I have lower back problems neck problems prostatitis,every time the pool is shut I get flare ups can't wait until Monday to get back in the pool. Hot bath helps as well as a heat pad and Tens machinemeds range from paracetamol co codamol or tramadol or if really bad Tramadol and paracetamol together

By *ocusMan  over a year ago

Cambridge

Look up Bob & Brad physical therapists on YouTube. They’ve got lots of great advice, exercises and stretches to alleviate all sorts of pain including sciatica.

Yea the pillow thing helps.

Also Google piriformis muscle stretches, stretching mine helped a lot when it was really bad.

Anti-inflammatories work too

Catthorpe

"Memory foam mattress! I suffer with it, have for years. When I. Changed yo a good memory foam it helped loads"

Definitely considering this.

Catthorpe

"I've found a few stretches that help. Laying on your back and pulling your knee up towards your chest is one. The other is laying on your back with your knees bent and twisting your hips so your knees touch the floor beside you while turning your head the opposite way. That one really helps when I get those spasms around the coccyx. "

Stretches are a commonly theme throughout the advice, will be trying your technique, thanks. Xx

Catthorpe

"Look up Bob & Brad physical therapists on YouTube. They’ve got lots of great advice, exercises and stretches to alleviate all sorts of pain including sciatica."

Watching now

By *hantasmagoriaWoman  over a year ago

Newport

"Memory foam mattress! I suffer with it, have for years. When I. Changed yo a good memory foam it helped loads

Definitely considering this. "

Spring ones are no good for me anymore

By *inkyfun2013Couple  over a year ago

lewisham

Definitely yoga stretches and an osteopath.

By *agertha73Couple  over a year ago

Cardiff

"...really hurts. Bum and back of the legs are agonising, is there any relief? Only the second time it's happened, didn't quite understand the first time. "

When the gyms reopen... Deadlift. Using an Olympic barbell with standard sized plates. Three times a week. One top set of 5 reps. Increase the weight by 2.5kg every time you go.

Enjoy the relief.

Catthorpe

"...really hurts. Bum and back of the legs are agonising, is there any relief? Only the second time it's happened, didn't quite understand the first time.

When the gyms reopen... Deadlift. Using an Olympic barbell with standard sized plates. Three times a week. One top set of 5 reps. Increase the weight by 2.5kg every time you go.

Enjoy the relief."

» Add a new message to this topic