FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Walking shoes: Recommendations?

Walking shoes: Recommendations?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Want to take up walking, but want to get some decent walking shoes. Can anyone recommend the good brands. Also, do you have to buy a size bigger?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh I'm watching this thread.. Mine are destroying my feet.. No leather for me though (I'm vegan)

The stitching /material on one of the heels is so firm /hard and my feet are so soft after wearing slippers for a year that i am really suffering

Depends on your budget, I’ve got a pair of Hi-Tec from a retailer in the Lake District about 3 years ago which was reasonably cheap and they’ve done the job perfectly for me for years.

Wear thick comfortable socks when trying them on - you might need a slightly bigger size for thick socks.

Remember to re-waterproof periodically to prolong the life

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Following as well, mine are knackered I've worn the tread off and they are no longer waterproof. Any recommendations for ones that support your ankle would be amazing

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

If you are starting out, then trainers are good enough...assuming dry weather.

Once you are fully embedded then start looking and you will have met peers who can make recommendations then.

By *ordo320Man  over a year ago

Gatwick

It depends upon the type of walking you’re wanting to do. Gentle paths and tracks, rambling etc then a god pair of walking trainers are good. Then they build up to walking trainer boots offering more support before getting into proper walking boots.

For the trainer side I really like adidas ones. Especially gore tex so my feet don’t get wet when there is moisture on the ground. For proper waking boots, wait for the shops to reopen and find something that fits you well. Something that’s really comfy for one person isn’t the same for the next. Go to a good shop with knowledgable staff and they’ll be able to point you in the right direction for your budget.

"It depends upon the type of walking you’re wanting to do. Gentle paths and tracks, rambling etc then a god pair of walking trainers are good. Then they build up to walking trainer boots offering more support before getting into proper walking boots.

For the trainer side I really like adidas ones. Especially gore tex so my feet don’t get wet when there is moisture on the ground. For proper waking boots, wait for the shops to reopen and find something that fits you well. Something that’s really comfy for one person isn’t the same for the next. Go to a good shop with knowledgable staff and they’ll be able to point you in the right direction for your budget. "

Thank you, some great advice. I knew that there would be some knowledgeable folks on here

"Following as well, mine are knackered I've worn the tread off and they are no longer waterproof. Any recommendations for ones that support your ankle would be amazing "

The sole fell off my old pair.. I had to duct tape it on for the walk. Boots cost me £160 but just rotted - they were hardly worn lol

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"Following as well, mine are knackered I've worn the tread off and they are no longer waterproof. Any recommendations for ones that support your ankle would be amazing

The sole fell off my old pair.. I had to duct tape it on for the walk. Boots cost me £160 but just rotted - they were hardly worn lol "

I had cheap walking shoes and they've lasted me years to be fair. Generally go hill or mountain walking, so want to upgrade to something with better support. I think if cry if I spent that much and they were rubbish

By *oxyVikingCouple  over a year ago

East Anglia

Not much of a walker but work with horses so spend most of my days on my feet. I’ve got Karrimor Hot Rock walking boots, wear them all day and do several miles a day and they never hurt. Reasonably price and good support for ankles. Or I have karrimor trail running shoes for work as well, same there, good grip and comfy and good price. They aren’t water proof though so only use those during summer...

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Really depends on type of walking - trails, peaks, fells? Season - dry, wet , hot , cold, and how much you want to pay. I use ASICS or Salomon or innov8 for mud and snow, walking or running in winter.

Sometimes I prefer to have shoes that expel water than use Goretex. Especially in summer , gortex makes heat and heat causes blisters

My go to is a pair of Salomon X Ultra , even a quick walk around a lake in summer

For years people used to advise to wear boots but it’s bad advice, you get weak inflexible ankles and carry extra weight , you’re better off using trail shoes , nice and light but if you’ve rock underfoot you need a good thick base

East Anglia

[Removed by poster at 09/04/21 14:07:22]

East Anglia

"Not much of a walker but work with horses so spend most of my days on my feet. I’ve got Karrimor Hot Rock walking boots, wear them all day and do several miles a day and they never hurt. Reasonably price and good support for ankles. Or I have karrimor trail running shoes for work as well, same there, good grip and comfy and good price. They aren’t water proof though so only use those during summer... "

This is Freya by the way

I'm a boot rather than a shoe hiker. Current walking boots are Berghaus as they suit my wide feet and high instep.

The last pair were suede Brasher boots. I LOVED them. Walked approx 4000 miles in them and was so sad when they fell apart. The cushioned ankle was bliss and they were reliably waterproof.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I have a pair of walking trainers and a pair of walking boots for additional ankle support for some walks, neither pair cost much. Shop around and read reviews. If you end up with boots, buy good walking socks as well

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Following as well, mine are knackered I've worn the tread off and they are no longer waterproof. Any recommendations for ones that support your ankle would be amazing

The sole fell off my old pair.. I had to duct tape it on for the walk. Boots cost me £160 but just rotted - they were hardly worn lol

I had cheap walking shoes and they've lasted me years to be fair. Generally go hill or mountain walking, so want to upgrade to something with better support. I think if cry if I spent that much and they were rubbish "

Look at something like innov8 rocklite goretex pro g 400, your feet will love you , £200 and will last 10-15 years. They also do without ankle support for around £150 if you want to build flexibility and strength these are much better and you can even run up the hills !

Thanks for all of the advice. Very useful

By *ophienRobCouple  over a year ago

bristol

Don't buy based on a brand name. You need to buy based on the fit (which means going to a shop and trying them on and getting professional advice). Don't buy online (unless you've previously tried them on). Even "top of the line" brands vary wildly in their sizing. If you do buy online make sure to buy two pairs (adjacent sizes) with free returns so you can try them and change your mind. Try them on the afternoon not the morning (feet swell up during the day).

If you are thinking of going "off road" (rough tracks or sustained climbs/descents) then go for proper walking boots which offer decent ankle support. Trainers have no place in the hills or on mountain paths (and will invite the wrath of the local mountain rescue group when they come to your aid!)

By *damantMan  over a year ago

High Crompton

For local walks that include some rough tracks, I have found that Aldi & Lidl boots for around £20 are hard to beat.

This year's Lidl ones are very cushioned and great for towpath type walks. This year's Aldi ones have a much more rigid sole and are better suited to 'off track' or rockier walks.

For anything more adventurous, my Zamberlan's are getting on for 30 years old and still going strong.

The shape of your foot (instep in my case) is just as important as size, there is no substitute for trying them on in a shop.

By *sh6866Man  over a year ago

halifax

Look up 1000 mile socks too... your feet will love you for it. Its essentially 2 pairs of thinner socks ( strategically stitched together). The 2 layers rub against each other and not your feet....never get blisters.

Also swear by my Lowa boots...

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have knee and hip problems so I wear FitFlops most of the time.

I bought the Skandi walking boots and everything is supported. I go for miles in all terrains. I can't recommend them enough.

One for the left one for the right

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

Decathlon do some really good value and good quality boots / shoes. A very good starting place.

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I have a pair of berghaus boots, I’ve walked at least 1200 miles in them, and they were second hand. I love them and taken me many places over the past year.

I prefer boots to shoes because they’re more secure around my ankles. They have a strong sole and waterproof

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

To add, my next purchase will be some Scarpa boots, I tried them on quite a while ago and they were perfect for me

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I have Brasher boots for winter/wet weather or rocky ground...had them years, must have walked thousands of miles in them, and they've never once rubbed.

For summer and more even terrain I have Saucony trail trainers.

For pavement walking I have Skechers.

I have a pair of Berghaus boots. They are the most comfortable I have had and have lasted much longer than others I have had.

By *superfuse663Man  over a year ago

manchester

Of all the many many walking boots I've had, brasher have been the longest lasting and very comfy

You're likely to go through a few types until you find what suits you. I use approach shoes for all sorts of terrain. They are a half size smaller for a really snug fit.

What matters is getting your feet, ankles and posture strong and hardened to regular walking. That just takes time.

Thanks so much. I’ve really learned some useful things

» Add a new message to this topic