FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Question for everyone but mainly wishy and madchick

Question for everyone but mainly wishy and madchick

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Carrying on from the minor discussion about spelt and spelled i was telling jay and of cause he knew and he came up with two others, so WITHOUT GOOGLING which would you say and why

hung and hanged

lit and lighted

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lwayshorny70Man  over a year ago

Redditch

great question !!

not sure why but id use

hung

and

lit

no reason except my preference

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

it depends in which context you wanted to use them,for instance you could use "well hung" for a guy but "well hanged" doesn't seem to sit right.

A Judge might say "hanged by the neck until you are dead".I don't know if he'd say "hung by the neck",or would he?

Game is often eaten after being "well hung" not "well hanged".

Also someone may have "hung about" but not "hanged about" surely, but what do I know,lol?

Ric

XX

P.S: As for lit and lighted,that seems easier,I'd go for lit.

Ric

XX

i am well hung.

this room is nicly lit.

btw i have no idea what ur going on about or nothing lol

He's hung like a horse or we strung the fecker up

Sh@t, it's on fire !!!!!!!!!

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"Carrying on from the minor discussion about spelt and spelled i was telling jay and of cause he knew and he came up with two others, so WITHOUT GOOGLING which would you say and why

hung and hanged

lit and lighted"

To be grammatically correct it's......

Hung

Lit

To use 'lighted' you generally have to put an 'a' before it.....

ie.. "she alighted from the bus"

Lesson over children. You may all go to bed, fuck yourselves witless (or in the case of Doris's......just fuck) and I'll read you a story in the morning!

Sleep well dolly day dream but when you wake consider

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=46085&dict=CALD

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=46085&dict=CALD

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lighted

Lighted without an a..............the children are giggling like a giggling thing, now about changing your spell checker from Swahili back into English

OK, the first set; Hung or Hanged

They can both be used as verbs, with or without objects, but only 'hung' can be used as a noun ('hang' or 'hangs' are nouns, 'hanged' is not).

Example:

-verb (with objects)

* to put to death by suspending by the neck from a gallows, gibbet, yardarm, or the like: He was sentenced to be hung at dawn. He was hung at dawn.

* to suspend (oneself) by the neck until dead: He hanged himself from a beam in the attic.

* to furnish or decorate with something suspended: to hang a room with pictures.

* to suspend (something) in front of anything: to hang curtains on a window.

-verb (used without object)

* to be conditioned or contingent; be dependent: His future hangs on the outcome of their discussion.

* to be doubtful or undecided; waver or hesitate: He hung between staying and going.

* to linger, remain, or persist: He hung by her side, unwilling to leave.

* to float or hover in the air: Fog hung over the city.

-noun

* the way in which a thing hangs.

* Informal. the precise manner of doing, using, etc., something; knack: to get the hang of a tool.

* Informal. meaning or thought: to get the hang of a subject.

* the least degree of care, concern, etc. (used in mild curses and emphatic expressions as a euphemism for damn): He doesn't give a hang about those things.

-------------------

As for 'lit' and 'lighted'; either can be used as nouns, adjectives or verbs but 'lighted' is rarely seen on its own and is often hyphernated with a preceding word, as in 'well-lighted', or prefaced with a single letter, such as 'alighted', as you correctly stated in the OP.

Examples:

-adjective

* having light or illumination; bright; well-lighted: the lightest room in the entire house.

-verb (used with object)

* to give light to; furnish with light or illumination: The room is lighted by two large chandeliers.

* to make (an area or object) bright with or as if with light (often fol. by up): Hundreds of candles lighted up the ballroom.

* to cause (the face, surroundings, etc.) to brighten, esp. with joy, animation, or the like (often fol. by up): A smile lit up her face. Her presence lighted up the room.

verb (used without object)

* to ignite a cigar, cigarette, or pipe for purposes of smoking (usually fol. by up): He took out a pipe and lighted up before speaking.

Good thread. It was a challenge.

(used dictionary.com for reference phrases)

Wishy x

lighted can't possaibly be a real word? lol

"lighted can't possaibly be a real word? lol"

Er.... read the post above yours lol

By *itFunGuyMan  over a year ago

Around & about

This ones mainly for _adchick.....

Make me a coffee would ya?? x

Wishy are you seriously telling me you wrote all that post with out googling or using any search engine??????????????

Ok, lit and lighted are both gramatically correct just the same as spelt and spelled.

Hung and hanged, hung is the correct term EXCEPT in the special instance of when it applies to capital punishment and then it becomes hanged.

Cyprus

"Wishy are you seriously telling me you wrote all that post with out googling or using any search engine??????????????

Ok, lit and lighted are both gramatically correct just the same as spelt and spelled.

Hung and hanged, hung is the correct term EXCEPT in the special instance of when it applies to capital punishment and then it becomes hanged."

Correct Diamond my lovely.

As for the boys that google then cut and past.......... ppppaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Cyprus

"This ones mainly for _adchick.....

Make me a coffee would ya?? x"

Hahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahhaha

Bonk

Thats me laughing my head off! doh!

"Wishy are you seriously telling me you wrote all that post with out googling or using any search engine??????????????

Hung and hanged, hung is the correct term EXCEPT in the special instance of when it applies to capital punishment and then it becomes hanged."

I said right at the foot of the post that I used dictionary.com for reference phrases, why reinvent the wheel, I knew what I wanted to say, they just did it for me.

The word 'hanged' can be used in many ways as I indicated in my post but I'll be hanged if I'm gonna get into an argument over it lol

A painting can be hanged or hung

(It has hanged there for years or it has hung there for years are both correct)

Hanged does no explicity apply to capital punishment, it applies to any form of suspension.

And yes, I wrote THIS post myself with no reference to anywhere lol

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

bump

Now mr wishy you know im not one too quibble but (now i have copied and pasted this)

Hanged means "executed by hanging."

Hung means "suspended" otherwise.

Some WILL except either but to be gramatically correct its hung unless by execution.

But very nice try (insert sarky wink)

"Now mr wishy you know im not one too quibble but (now i have copied and pasted this)

Hanged means "executed by hanging."

Hung means "suspended" otherwise.

Some WILL except either but to be gramatically correct its hung unless by execution.

But very nice try (insert sarky wink)

"

I'm sorry Maddie, but in this case you are wrong.

'Hang' means to fasten or attach (a thing) so that it is supported only from above or at a point near its own top; suspend.

Therefore, 'hanged' and 'hung' are both past participles of 'to hang'. I accept that 'hanged' is almost exclusively used when refering to a living thing that is hung by it's neck until it dies, it is not an absolute rule and there are instances where either 'hanged' or 'hung' could be used and would both be correct.

A lot of it has to do with what looks and sounds right and I do feel that 'hung' sounds a lot better than 'hanged' except when describing the act of execution by hanging.

"He was hanged by the neck until he was dead."

"He was hung by the neck until he was dead."

Both are correct grammatically but hung does sound better.

Forum Mod

I think "he was hanged by the neck until he was dead " sounds better

"I think "he was hanged by the neck until he was dead " sounds better "

ooops - that's what I meant to say, 'hanged' not 'hung'.

"I think "he was hanged by the neck until he was dead " sounds better

ooops - that's what I meant to say, 'hanged' not 'hung'."

Lets just agree to disagree lol, if you point to a beam and say he was hung there it doesnt mean he was necessarily hanged. Oh and mr wishy are me and my dear friend maddie so alike thats twice you have called me maddie lmao

Anyway it was just a little post to make you think. Have to say i do know that lit and lighted are both correct but if i didnt know i would never even think lighted was a wordxxkaren (not maddie) lol

Cyprus

"I think "he was hanged by the neck until he was dead " sounds better

ooops - that's what I meant to say, 'hanged' not 'hung'.

Lets just agree to disagree lol, if you point to a beam and say he was hung there it doesnt mean he was necessarily hanged. Oh and mr wishy are me and my dear friend maddie so alike thats twice you have called me maddie lmao

Anyway it was just a little post to make you think. Have to say i do know that lit and lighted are both correct but if i didnt know i would never even think lighted was a wordxxkaren (not maddie) lol"

Evening maddie xxxxxxxxxxxx

**hehehehehehehe, you get the mantle of responsibility for the Pussy Posse and I get some peace**

You got to love it......Wishy proves conclusively he's right and the only possible riposte is "lets agree to disagree"

You birds are definitely losing your touch

» Add a new message to this topic