FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Don't keep renewing.

Don't keep renewing.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lirty-Couple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Bexley

This isn't new or rocket science but it's worth remembering. We've been loyal customers for car (3 in our household) and house insurance for ages and every year have had to complain about quite outrageous renewal quotes in order to get them reduced. This year we bit the bullet and moved our insurances to new companies and saved hundreds of pounds. In all cases we were subsequently told by our previous insurers (3 different companies) that they could have offered a better rate. Why didn't they do that at renewal time then? Answer: because they throught they could get away with it. A lot of people don't even notice how much they're being charged/overcharged.

It's important to compare like for like, so do make sure you get quotes for equivalent cover at least. In our case we're paying hundreds of pounds less now for better cover. Win win.

If we get outrageous rebewals next year we'll move companies again.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"This isn't new or rocket science but it's worth remembering. We've been loyal customers for car (3 in our household) and house insurance for ages and every year have had to complain about quite outrageous renewal quotes in order to get them reduced. This year we bit the bullet and moved our insurances to new companies and saved hundreds of pounds. In all cases we were subsequently told by our previous insurers (3 different companies) that they could have offered a better rate. Why didn't they do that at renewal time then? Answer: because they throught they could get away with it. A lot of people don't even notice how much they're being charged/overcharged.

It's important to compare like for like, so do make sure you get quotes for equivalent cover at least. In our case we're paying hundreds of pounds less now for better cover. Win win.

If we get outrageous rebewals next year we'll move companies again. "

For myself, the insurance company I use offers something that most don't. I generally shop around, then challenge them to beat the best price... they always do.

Cal

By *rivateparts!Man  over a year ago

Walking down the only road I've ever known!

I did exactly the same this year too.

Massive hike from my insurer, looked around and got for half of their price quote.

By *c69funCouple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

It's those that don't do the leg work that enable companies to offer reduced savings to those that do shop around, same for everything, phones, Internet etc. I always wait for renewal quote, then shop around for lowest quote, then speak to current supplier and more often than not they will beat the best quote.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Renewal for this years was nearly £300 more, asked why they couldn't really give me a good reason.

Shopped about and found one cheaper than last years price. Phoned back insurer and they reduced it by all of £50.

Bye bye, off to new insurer.

Bunch of thieving bastards

always annoys me that these companies treat old customers worse than new ones,it seams loyalty counts for nothing, we always shop around, save hundreds

"It's those that don't do the leg work that enable companies to offer reduced savings to those that do shop around, same for everything, phones, Internet etc. I always wait for renewal quote, then shop around for lowest quote, then speak to current supplier and more often than not they will beat the best quote. "

fo me thats double leg work though , the shopping around and then the negotiation and potentially even more if they don’t match and you have to go back go one of the other offers to switch,

i move companies for everything every time i get to the end of a contract ... insurance, energy, phones, broadband ... go onto a switch website then the shopping around and switching is all done as one activity , even better if i can get some kind of reward or cash back for doing it ,

then the old company call up trying to keep you and i just say no sorry already done my research and you were not able to beat it then, decision made and no interest in changing my mind sorry

i do wonder how money companies could save without the retention teams they wouldn’t need if they put those savings into decent retention deals for existing customers if that makes sense ... seems circular to pay people to call you up and offer you a saving to stay , when if they had just given the savings to begin with they wouldn’t have to pay teams of people to try convince you to stay

I thought everyone did this and was just one of the basics.

By *lirty-Couple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Bexley

With all the stress right now we just got fed up playing their renewal game. We'll be reviewing our utlities this year too. Pity we have no choice with internet/tv/phone as we are on cable and nobody else offers that here at the moment.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I’ve always shopped around but am struggling to change house insurance due to being underpinned - you can’t use comparison sites for quotes

J x

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

We always change, even when they offer to match the other price. I take that as an admission that they were trying to stitch me up, so tell them to go take a hike. As others have said, make sure you do it through a cash back site, you'll often get an extra £40 - £100 on top!

» Add a new message to this topic