FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Reality TV Protection

Reality TV Protection

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

OFcom have brought out guidance for the producers of Reality shows like Love Island etc to give more protection to the Mental Health of contestants . I reckon that can only be a good thing but on the other hand is prevention better than cure..

Why have these shows that seem to attract the vulnerable and should we not just bin them in Room 47 as a relic from the 2010's

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lol.. Protection for. Contestant's mental health...

Meanwhile the NHS doesn't give a toss about the mental health of us nobodies who are hanging on by a thread.

Maybe I should go and fuck someone on the telly.. Then maybe I'll get the help I've been begging for for years?

P.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think we should either bin them or radically later them. I think it's a bit like visiting Bedlam for entertainment

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Good. They get put on these shows (and yes I know they apply) but are jot adequately prepared for the consequences of going on there.

The general public and online trolls are vile and they think they deserve their pound of flesh from them. Cancel culture is rife and they will hunt out anything from someone's past to discredit them and tear them down.

I rarely watch reality TV (other than drag race). I despise TOWIE, MIC, Geordie shore, married at first site, temptation Island, Jeremy Kyle etc. But I do think that more needs to be done to support them.

As for provision of mh services in the community, I think it's shocking and more needs to be dien to support and help those who need it.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"OFcom have brought out guidance for the producers of Reality shows like Love Island etc to give more protection to the Mental Health of contestants . I reckon that can only be a good thing but on the other hand is prevention better than cure..

Why have these shows that seem to attract the vulnerable and should we not just bin them in Room 47 as a relic from the 2010's "

Because ££££. They attract the vulnerable in two ways bringing in hundreds of millions in ads , 30 seconds ad costs around £50k during shows like love island and props up all the flops and shift to YouTube. Why ? Vulnerable people love to watch other people failing to feel a bit better about themselves. They also buy on impulse and emotion not logic , look at the types of ads they run

Chelmsford

I wonder if more should be done to screen contestants before they get on screen. The criteria for love island seems to be a six pack for the guys and a good backside in a thong bikini for the girls.. and apart from their mental health, what about the viewers who feel inadequate because by some strange coincidence, every contestant has the 'perfect body' ...

Chelmsford

"OFcom have brought out guidance for the producers of Reality shows like Love Island etc to give more protection to the Mental Health of contestants . I reckon that can only be a good thing but on the other hand is prevention better than cure..

Why have these shows that seem to attract the vulnerable and should we not just bin them in Room 47 as a relic from the 2010's

Because ££££. They attract the vulnerable in two ways bringing in hundreds of millions in ads , 30 seconds ad costs around £50k during shows like love island and props up all the flops and shift to YouTube. Why ? Vulnerable people love to watch other people failing to feel a bit better about themselves. They also buy on impulse and emotion not logic , look at the types of ads they run "

Love island had ads for cosmetic surgery at half time

Tv shows will of course offer counselling, mental health assessments and support to cover their own agenda.. this support however takes place after they have the good drama they need for good ratings

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

As for provision of mh services in the community, I think it's shocking and more needs to be dien to support and help those who need it. "

I didn't realise until recently just how bad it was but I've been trying to get help for two of our residents and the support is woeful.

If you are having two young people commit suicide from the same show in the same year, then something is very clearly wrong. If you put out young people who has no experience in media, then the studio has a responsibility to look after them better than they have so far.

Mental health should be given greater priority full stop,for everyone.

My daughter had to slit her wrists and be blue lighted into hospital before they would do anything. Absolutely disgusting.

Chelmsford

I do wonder now then...if the broadcasting company has a greater duty of care for mental health then are they liable in law if a contestant goes on to have a breakdown or worse and how long does that duty of care last after the show ends

By *AABMan  over a year ago

Not far

Because ££££. They attract the vulnerable in two ways bringing in hundreds of millions in ads , 30 seconds ad costs around £50k during shows like love island and props up all the flops and shift to YouTube. Why ? Vulnerable people love to watch other people failing to feel a bit better about themselves. They also buy on impulse and emotion not logic , look at the types of ads they run "

“ Vulnerable people love to watch other people failing to feel a bit better about themselves.” Isn’t this also the reason that Eastenders is a thing?

"If you are having two young people commit suicide from the same show in the same year, then something is very clearly wrong. If you put out young people who has no experience in media, then the studio has a responsibility to look after them better than they have so far."

to be honest its not really the show itself thats caused it, its being thrust into the spotlight, not really prepared for what you signed up for while at the same time being left on your own to learn to cope with it because the show is done and the production team were done with you, no aftercare

i think if your xfactor folk hadn’t been out making albums and had an ongoing management team we would have seen similar from shows like that too

I think the after care should be a greater, some can't handle fame and that doesn't just go for reality tv contestants. Many celebrities end up in rehab, or suicid*l.

Chelmsford

"If you are having two young people commit suicide from the same show in the same year, then something is very clearly wrong. If you put out young people who has no experience in media, then the studio has a responsibility to look after them better than they have so far.

to be honest its not really the show itself thats caused it, its being thrust into the spotlight, not really prepared for what you signed up for while at the same time being left on your own to learn to cope with it because the show is done and the production team were done with you, no aftercare

i think if your xfactor folk hadn’t been out making albums and had an ongoing management team we would have seen similar from shows like that too "

And signing up hoping for everlasting stardom and 12 months down the line nobody is interested..

"If you are having two young people commit suicide from the same show in the same year, then something is very clearly wrong. If you put out young people who has no experience in media, then the studio has a responsibility to look after them better than they have so far.

i think if your xfactor folk hadn’t been out making albums and had an ongoing management team we would have seen similar from shows like that too

And signing up hoping for everlasting stardom and 12 months down the line nobody is interested.."

yes i think they very much attach their personal validation to an internet following, add the trolls in and its recipe for disaster

been seeing it happen with celebrities for many years and end up in and out of rehabs unable to cope with the pressures of fame, the growth of social media has made them so much more accessible to comments from the general public and meant people can blow up overnight rather than gradually too - perfect storm

Chelmsford

And of course.. those who court celebrity are often the most vulnerable.. Fragile ego and self obsession is never a good mix

» Add a new message to this topic