FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is anybody as cheap as I am?

Is anybody as cheap as I am?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *partharmony OP   Couple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I (Luke) really count my pennies. I mean, I'm a really tight git. If everybody spent money as cautiously as me the economy would collapse.

My latest wheeze is that when I go to the supermarket, I pick up receipts left by other people at the self-service checkouts, look through them for the ones that haven't used a loyalty card, and then go to the customer service desk and get them to put the points on mine. I use those points to get money off future shopping trips.

Who has any tips for being a real cheapskate and/or making their money stretch? Who contends for the title of Cheapest Fabber?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I save the salt, pepper and sugar sachets that I don't use in cafés etc and take them on holiday, because you never use a pot of salt or bag of sugar on a 2wk self catering hol. My Grandma taught me well

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

I don't save points qnd if I'm shopping and have spent a bit I used to offer my receipt to the person behind

"I (Luke) really count my pennies. I mean, I'm a really tight git. If everybody spent money as cautiously as me the economy would collapse.

My latest wheeze is that when I go to the supermarket, I pick up receipts left by other people at the self-service checkouts, look through them for the ones that haven't used a loyalty card, and then go to the customer service desk and get them to put the points on mine. I use those points to get money off future shopping trips.

Who has any tips for being a real cheapskate and/or making their money stretch? Who contends for the title of Cheapest Fabber? "

There is actually a technical term for that and it is called wombling.

You win OP. I thought I was particularly frugal but I bow to your superior frugality!

"I save the salt, pepper and sugar sachets that I don't use in cafés etc and take them on holiday, because you never use a pot of salt or bag of sugar on a 2wk self catering hol. My Grandma taught me well "

I do this and with ketchup and mayonnaise sachets because they are brilliant take on picnics.

Ruislip

"I don't save points qnd if I'm shopping and have spent a bit I used to offer my receipt to the person behind"

Firstly, I'm shocked. Secondly, I want to be behind you at the supermarket.

That's actually an amazing idea!! I bet you've built up a good bit of money doing that?!

I'm not too tight with money but my dad was very frugal. I remember he used to enjoy his late night trips to the supermarket and he would come back with £60 worth of food for about £3.00 and he was always delighted.

Also there is an app you can find on the app store where you pay £3ish for a goodybag or three of food leftover at the end of the day in restaurants etc and you can get so much for your money. I'm not allowed to name names but it should be easy enough to find on Google if anyone is interested.

North West

"I (Luke) really count my pennies. I mean, I'm a really tight git. If everybody spent money as cautiously as me the economy would collapse.

Who has any tips for being a real cheapskate and/or making their money stretch? Who contends for the title of Cheapest Fabber?

There is actually a technical term for that and it is called wombling. "

I thought Wombling is what you did on Wimbledon Common. Silly me

I thought Wombling is what you did on Wimbledon Common. Silly me "

I mean obviously you can do it on Wimbledon common but also you can do it in Tesco.

By *rafficvanMan  over a year ago

Middletown

Op wtf am laughing here! Never use my points there all a load of bollocks have to spend silly money to save a pound

"Op wtf am laughing here! Never use my points there all a load of bollocks have to spend silly money to save a pound "

Not true and my theory is your spending the money anyway so it doesn't matter if it takes a while to get anything back it's better than getting nothing.

By *aomilatteCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

Half our house is off EBay from China!

Ruislip

"That's actually an amazing idea!! I bet you've built up a good bit of money doing that?!

I'm not too tight with money but my dad was very frugal. I remember he used to enjoy his late night trips to the supermarket and he would come back with £60 worth of food for about £3.00 and he was always delighted.

Also there is an app you can find on the app store where you pay £3ish for a goodybag or three of food leftover at the end of the day in restaurants etc and you can get so much for your money. I'm not allowed to name names but it should be easy enough to find on Google if anyone is interested. "

I have two apps like that, but the nearest participating shops are miles away.

Your dad sounds like he might have done what I did. Where we live there's Morrison's, Boots, M&S and Co-op. I know when all of them do their reductions. When Hannah is away for work I'll do the rounds and feed myself for a week on about £1.60.

Ruislip

"Op wtf am laughing here! Never use my points there all a load of bollocks have to spend silly money to save a pound "

Ah, but I don't have to spend any money at all when I pilfer receipts. Besides, I never spend in order to get points.

The only downside (apart from a sense of shame) is that the offers I get from Morrison's based on my supposed spending are bonkers!

By *LAchillesMan  over a year ago

North London

Do you shop at Waitrose? If so you can have my receipts.

Ruislip

[Removed by poster at 02/04/21 23:33:58]

If you go to the self service checkouts you can put meat through as loose veg, pop it on the scale for a weigh in and it goes right in your bag. Fillet steak...ehem, onions sorry...for 37p? Bargain!

Ruislip

"If you go to the self service checkouts you can put meat through as loose veg, pop it on the scale for a weigh in and it goes right in your bag. Fillet steak...ehem, onions sorry...for 37p? Bargain!"

I'm not talking about stealing!

Ruislip

I mean obviously you can do it on Wimbledon common but also you can do it in Tesco. "

Underground, overground, Wombling free,

The Wombles of Wimbledon, Sainsbury's are we.

Making good use of receipts that we find,

Points that the everyday folks leave behind.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I managed to swap my Tesco points for a weekend away in the Peak District when they were doing breaks.

Deffo worth collecting

Who has any tips for being a real cheapskate and/or making their money stretch? Who contends for the title of Cheapest Fabber? "

Is this actually allowed?! I don’t think it is, at all. Not saying it’s wrong or right, in your world, as clearly you don’t care, I’m just wondering if it is. Previously it’s been stopped as per policy in some places, as it’s fraudulent.

On the note of the thread, if you love big brands and have patience, there are plenty of great furniture pieces on eBay, brand new and untouched. People simply don’t know what to do with them or sell them etc.

Also, not ‘saving’ pennies, but buying or investing in some things means your money is far more valuable than leaving it within inflation or standard savings accounts etc. Different kind of saving but equally makes your money go further.

I mean obviously you can do it on Wimbledon common but also you can do it in Tesco.

Underground, overground, Wombling free,

The Wombles of Wimbledon, Sainsbury's are we.

Making good use of receipts that we find,

Points that the everyday folks leave behind. "

I love that!

By *iddylad87Man  over a year ago

kidderminster

"Half our house is off EBay from China! "

So it was you who brought that blasted virus over

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Is this actually allowed?! I don’t think it is, at all. Not saying it’s wrong or right, in your world, as clearly you don’t care, I’m just wondering if it is. Previously it’s been stopped as per policy in some places, as it’s fraudulent.

On the note of the thread, if you love big brands and have patience, there are plenty of great furniture pieces on eBay, brand new and untouched. People simply don’t know what to do with them or sell them etc.

Also, not ‘saving’ pennies, but buying or investing in some things means your money is far more valuable than leaving it within inflation or standard savings accounts etc. Different kind of saving but equally makes your money go further. "

That sounds interesting can you give us some examples?

The worst I've ever heard is someone we know of who who makes a very good living and can afford to live a very luxurious lifestyle, yet prides himself on the fact he hasn't bought toilet roll for well over a year. He steals them when he goes to a restaurant or bar. How on earth he doesn't feel shame I have no clue.

it's also really embarrassing for whoever he is there with knowing he has just lifted a toilet roll and it's under his jumper or somewhere

Not to the same extent as you OP but all my work expenses, hotels, consumables etc go through top cashback and I always collect either BP or clubcard points on company car fuel. When I am traveling I collect Costa points on coffee, clubcard points on lunch, nandos points on dinner non of which was my money. It's all about the grift...

"Not to the same extent as you OP but all my work expenses, hotels, consumables etc go through top cashback and I always collect either BP or clubcard points on company car fuel. When I am traveling I collect Costa points on coffee, clubcard points on lunch, nandos points on dinner non of which was my money. It's all about the grift... "

i got a few free weekend nandos paid for by my midweek on expenses nandos too lol

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The loyalty schemes aren't free, they are charged for, so it's better to get any customer using unwanted points, than them going to trash. I've been remiss, not having my card sometimes, keeping the receipts but then forgetting to claim them. I'd prefer someone else to, than none of us.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Sorry mate I just ain’t that sad

cheapskate

"Half our house is off EBay from China! "

ChinEbay is the best!

By *uyforfun88869Man  over a year ago

Leigh

Guy at sort drys out used tea bags

By *uyforfun88869Man  over a year ago

Leigh

"Guy at WORK drys out used tea bags"

I’m free ? Is there cheaper than that?

IOU??

By *reakbedsnotheartsMan  over a year ago

bedford

"I’m free ? Is there cheaper than that? "

Love that

"Op wtf am laughing here! Never use my points there all a load of bollocks have to spend silly money to save a pound

Ah, but I don't have to spend any money at all when I pilfer receipts. Besides, I never spend in order to get points.

The only downside (apart from a sense of shame) is that the offers I get from Morrison's based on my supposed spending are bonkers!"

I used to do it when points were worth something. These days you have to spend ridiculous amounts to get anything back.

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"If you go to the self service checkouts you can put meat through as loose veg, pop it on the scale for a weigh in and it goes right in your bag. Fillet steak...ehem, onions sorry...for 37p? Bargain!"

I would be too scared to do this in case I’m caught out.....

A few years ago a well known supermarket used to pay me to take away their produce.

When they had BOGOF offers, technically they charged you for each item, then gave you a full-price refund on the second. I discovered that late in the evening when fresh produce was reduced, if they were on BOGOF they charged you the reduced price but still refunded the full price on the second item... Many times I bought two loaves of bread reduced from £1 to 30p and was given 40p to do so, and the same on other produce.

I am a big fan of going to car boot sales. Charity shopping & to the reuse reclaimation shop at my local tip.

I have picked up some incredible bargains over the years at a fraction of the price if it was all bought brand new.

This is my ideal of being thrifty

It also helps out the charities & stops items ending up in landfill!

Bookmarking this

Could be a thrifty fabbers section

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

Asda stopped doing price check / money back receipts for this exact reason. I just might of done it myself thou.

Oh my days

This thread gave me a morning giggle if nothing else

By *iger-NWMan  over a year ago

Preston

Have a meal just before going on a food shop. You'd be surprised how much less food you buy.

Ruislip

"A few years ago a well known supermarket used to pay me to take away their produce.

When they had BOGOF offers, technically they charged you for each item, then gave you a full-price refund on the second. I discovered that late in the evening when fresh produce was reduced, if they were on BOGOF they charged you the reduced price but still refunded the full price on the second item... Many times I bought two loaves of bread reduced from £1 to 30p and was given 40p to do so, and the same on other produce."

Something similar happened to me last year without me realising it. Boots had a 3 for 2 offer with the cheapest item free. I bought three things but forgot to use my Boots card. They said they couldn't give me the points after the purchase but they could refund me and let me buy them again and get the points that way, so that's what we did.

It was only when I looked at my bank statement a while later that I realised they refunded me for all three and I got £33 back when I had only paid £25 originally!

I would consider it dishonest to do it intentionally so I haven't done it since. I feel a bit bad that I didn't go back to the company and explain the mistake, but I have worked in retail and I'm pretty sure they would consider the individual transaction would not be worth their while fixing. They would just try to fix their system so it didn't work that way in the future.

By *luebellRacerCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

We use quidco (had over £300 cashback) especially good for big purchases.

We also do our online shop and fuel on a Sainsbury's credit card, we get more points and just pay off the balance on payday.

I also love a charity shop bargain!

However, there is something to be said for worth of time... I'd rather be home with my feet up and a cuppa than spend my time stood at customer service with a bunch of receipts for pennies...

By *lint-EverhardMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

Nope, I'm frugal, thrifty and mindful of what I'm spending don't get me wrong. I'm self employed though and my time equates to around £25 per hour. If I'm umming and ahhing about saving 20p then that discussion probably cost me more than 20p. Time is money, literally.

Oh god this all sounds exhausting

I couldn't be arsed to make so much effort to save a few pennies.

My ex was a penny pincher - it used to drive me mad!

We used to travel a lot in India where pounds are mighty against the rupee so we could live very well.

He used to get trains that took days to get to destinations and I often used to get a plane and meet him there

Used to travel a lot with work and I'd always take the soap from the hotel room I was in, plus any other soaps I could get hold of while I was there. I've never had to buy soap, I'm still living off my haul

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

If you spent X amount in our local CO-OP you get a £5 off voucher when you next spend £30 but it’s only valid a week so we’d never use it.

We just give it to someone with enough shopping.

S

I’ve shopped in Sainsburys every week for years and years and I still can’t be arsed to get a Nectar card, I probably could have had a speedboat and a holiday in the Seychelles by now.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I'm Mr reduced to clear....never have to rack my brain as to what to cook ...the reduced to clear gods do this for me.... and if you go to a big enough supermarket the things that I can buy ..I would never think of getting at full price.... luxury at a third off ..

"I’ve shopped in Sainsburys every week for years and years and I still can’t be arsed to get a Nectar card, I probably could have had a speedboat and a holiday in the Seychelles by now."

No you couldn't lol

OP you sound like the kinda the person that disappears when it's their round.....

Yep Ive done the recipt bit, and I seldom look up from the floor because Im scanning for lost change...especially around the trolley bays, found a tenner a few times that way. I like to shop in my lical lidl on a sunday morning when they reduce loads of ready meals to either 20p or 70p then freeze them all until I need them.

I've strapped 2 free carpet samples to my feet in order to get that luxury carpet feeling all through the house. Does that count? M

"I’ve shopped in Sainsburys every week for years and years and I still can’t be arsed to get a Nectar card, I probably could have had a speedboat and a holiday in the Seychelles by now.

No you couldn't lol"

Phew!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I get my dad to buy my shopping from time to time I have his credit card in my purse

Ruislip

"OP you sound like the kinda the person that disappears when it's their round....."

No, I'm the sort of person who doesn't go to pubs because it's cheaper to have drinks at home.

Ruislip

"I’ve shopped in Sainsburys every week for years and years and I still can’t be arsed to get a Nectar card, I probably could have had a speedboat and a holiday in the Seychelles by now."

I think you are getting mixed up between Sainsbury's and Bullseye.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

You won't have missed out on that but until recently (when they changed their points system) you could rack up a fair amount at Sainsburys by using their app and buying things off their weekly bonus points offers (which are based on your previous shops anyway).

I built up £60 by doing that between November and February on a weekly shop of about £50.

As I said they've changed it now so you get less points per shop but it was good while it lasted.

"I’ve shopped in Sainsburys every week for years and years and I still can’t be arsed to get a Nectar card, I probably could have had a speedboat and a holiday in the Seychelles by now.

I think you are getting mixed up between Sainsbury's and Bullseye. "

Who was that bloke with glasses asking me questions on literature at the checkout then ?

"OP you sound like the kinda the person that disappears when it's their round.....

No, I'm the sort of person who doesn't go to pubs because it's cheaper to have drinks at home. "

Surely life is too short for this behaviour

What will you do with all this money you save - use it on your elderly care home?

"If you spent X amount in our local CO-OP you get a £5 off voucher when you next spend £30 but it’s only valid a week so we’d never use it.

We just give it to someone with enough shopping.

S"

I tried to do that with Sainsbury's vouchers but they only let that Nectar card use them.

That is theft.

"Used to travel a lot with work and I'd always take the soap from the hotel room I was in, plus any other soaps I could get hold of while I was there. I've never had to buy soap, I'm still living off my haul "

I used to collect toiletries when I travelled every week for work. But I used to donate all of them to the local Women’s Refuge as women often have to leave their home with nothing but the clothes they are wearing.

"I'm Mr reduced to clear....never have to rack my brain as to what to cook ...the reduced to clear gods do this for me.... and if you go to a big enough supermarket the things that I can buy ..I would never think of getting at full price.... luxury at a third off .. "

Back when I was a young whippersnapper I spent a short while on the dole, times were hard but the Asda ‘whoops’ run often saved the day. I don’t think it’s quite as prevalent now but there was a time my friend and I were picking up meat reduced to 10 or 20p. We once hauled in £57 worth of meat for £2.10

Ruislip

"I'm Mr reduced to clear....never have to rack my brain as to what to cook ...the reduced to clear gods do this for me.... and if you go to a big enough supermarket the things that I can buy ..I would never think of getting at full price.... luxury at a third off ..

Back when I was a young whippersnapper I spent a short while on the dole, times were hard but the Asda ‘whoops’ run often saved the day. I don’t think it’s quite as prevalent now but there was a time my friend and I were picking up meat reduced to 10 or 20p. We once hauled in £57 worth of meat for £2.10"

If that was done legitimately then I salute you, sir!

Also, not ‘saving’ pennies, but buying or investing in some things means your money is far more valuable than leaving it within inflation or standard savings accounts etc. Different kind of saving but equally makes your money go further.

That sounds interesting can you give us some examples?

The worst I've ever heard is someone we know of who who makes a very good living and can afford to live a very luxurious lifestyle, yet prides himself on the fact he hasn't bought toilet roll for well over a year. He steals them when he goes to a restaurant or bar. How on earth he doesn't feel shame I have no clue.

it's also really embarrassing for whoever he is there with knowing he has just lifted a toilet roll and it's under his jumper or somewhere"

Theft is just wrong and illegal, and sad if he can afford a lifestyle to purchase them in the first place. The problem with becoming so obsessive over things, including money, is that it controls people more than they believe. Like you stated about not buying rounds as you would be drinking at home as it’s cheaper. I get that, and if that is because you cannot afford to go out then that’s totally understandable, but if it’s just to save pennies then I’d encourage you to loosen up, otherwise things like eating out, meeting friends and family etc may even end up compromised. Just a thought.

And the loyalty scheme stuff, well years ago it was a method of shoplifters or the like to increase their ability to get points etc. But they didn’t spend the money, so they cannot place the points on their account, simply put. So it’s fraudulent. An online retailer was hacked and 40% of the transactions went through one customers loyalty scheme, which was very much a case of greed and being a bit stupid and easily caught, but the same principle. It’s not their loyalty points to claim and the company are worse off for it.

North West

"OP you sound like the kinda the person that disappears when it's their round.....

No, I'm the sort of person who doesn't go to pubs because it's cheaper to have drinks at home.

What will you do with all this money you save - use it on your elderly care home?

"

They'll get the delux care home though, not the el cheapo one

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We are very savvy shoppers but we don't take it to extremes. We like Aldi and we're quite happy to wear charity shop clothes but we are happy to pay for quality when the occasion demands it.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

They'll get the delux care home though, not the el cheapo one "

There's no such thing as a cheap care home .

North West

There's no such thing as a cheap care home . "

Okay, the penny pinchers will get one with better chairs and full satellite TV rather than Freeview

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Okay, the penny pinchers will get one with better chairs and full satellite TV rather than Freeview "

The chairs in the posh homes have incontinence pads fitted

Okay, the penny pinchers will get one with better chairs and full satellite TV rather than Freeview

The chairs in the posh homes have incontinence pads fitted "

If you are penniless on your old age and you need care - then you can get subsidised in the nicer places.

Spend your money and give your property away.

The nicer care homes are 10K a month minimum

By *inky_CarpenterMan  over a year ago

Portsmouth

If you guys weren't already on my hot list you would be added for this post OP. XX I love recycling and upcycling stuff and I detest throwing away anything that could be reused. And any tradesman who buys multi tool blades will know what a RIP off they are and why I resharpen them until they are Stubbs!

Yesterday, I took a load of waste to the tip, and came back with an antique valve radio, two fishing rods and a microwave oven.... result!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

The chairs in the posh homes have incontinence pads fitted

If you are penniless on your old age and you need care - then you can get subsidised in the nicer places.

Spend your money and give your property away.

The nicer care homes are 10K a month minimum

"

They are indeed and then you need personal expenses on top of that. Although you can get "acceptable" care homes at around 6k if you're ok with a small room and no en suite shower facilities.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I am quite happy that care costs a lot of money, it should, just as long as it's good care.

North West

The chairs in the posh homes have incontinence pads fitted "

I'm signing up as we speak!

By *onguesandpunsMan  over a year ago

East Midlands

"I'm Mr reduced to clear....never have to rack my brain as to what to cook ...the reduced to clear gods do this for me.... and if you go to a big enough supermarket the things that I can buy ..I would never think of getting at full price.... luxury at a third off ..

Back when I was a young whippersnapper I spent a short while on the dole, times were hard but the Asda ‘whoops’ run often saved the day. I don’t think it’s quite as prevalent now but there was a time my friend and I were picking up meat reduced to 10 or 20p. We once hauled in £57 worth of meat for £2.10"

'Whoops' is very much alive and well. Just to add to to this thread I've about 90 % stopped buying full price produce nowadays, apart from the staples like oil and cereals which generally don't get reduced. At least once per week, I walk around all of the Tesco Metros and Sainsburys Locals in my city centre. They markdown the markdowns again at around 7.30pm and I get whatever is on offer. Normally when I bring stuff home some bits have to be prepped/may need to go straight in the freezer, but my food bill is normally no more than £15 per week and I eat really well.

2l of milk for 40p? Don't mind if I do.. Straight in the freezer!

3 mozzarella cheeses for 60p? Don't mind if I do... Straight in the freezer!

Food generally always lasts much longer than the sell by date anyway.

I totally agree that buying whatever is on offer also helps me to vary what I'm eating a bit as you never know what's going to be on the reduced shelves until you get there, so there's a bit of a 'ready, steady, cook' element to mealtimes.

'Urban Foraging' as nobody is yet calling it has absolutely become a hobby during the pandemic!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Back when I was a young whippersnapper I spent a short while on the dole, times were hard but the Asda ‘whoops’ run often saved the day. I don’t think it’s quite as prevalent now but there was a time my friend and I were picking up meat reduced to 10 or 20p. We once hauled in £57 worth of meat for £2.10

'Whoops' is very much alive and well. Just to add to to this thread I've about 90 % stopped buying full price produce nowadays, apart from the staples like oil and cereals which generally don't get reduced. At least once per week, I walk around all of the Tesco Metros and Sainsburys Locals in my city centre. They markdown the markdowns again at around 7.30pm and I get whatever is on offer. Normally when I bring stuff home some bits have to be prepped/may need to go straight in the freezer, but my food bill is normally no more than £15 per week and I eat really well.

2l of milk for 40p? Don't mind if I do.. Straight in the freezer!

3 mozzarella cheeses for 60p? Don't mind if I do... Straight in the freezer!

Food generally always lasts much longer than the sell by date anyway.

I totally agree that buying whatever is on offer also helps me to vary what I'm eating a bit as you never know what's going to be on the reduced shelves until you get there, so there's a bit of a 'ready, steady, cook' element to mealtimes.

'Urban Foraging' as nobody is yet calling it has absolutely become a hobby during the pandemic!

"

That last paragraph made me laugh .

Forum Mod

East Sussex

There have been times in our life when reduced to clear items have been a god send. I tend to leave them now in the hope that people who really need them get them but now and again I can't resist. My last good buy was three long tubes of chocolate sprouts from Mark's and Spencers for 25p each

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Also, not ‘saving’ pennies, but buying or investing in some things means your money is far more valuable than leaving it within inflation or standard savings accounts etc. Different kind of saving but equally makes your money go further. "

Not to be Peter Policeman, but it’s clearly fraudulent to claim points from other peoples receipts.

Although there is a law permitting taking possession of ‘discarded’ items, the terms and conditions of the card points scheme will trump that.

East Midlands

"

That last paragraph made me laugh ."

All in a days foraging lol!

I'm not sure if it's because my ex was a penny pincher but I find this kind of behaviour really unattractive.

We all prioritise money differently and have different budgets - but being deliberately mean is gross.

East Midlands

"There have been times in our life when reduced to clear items have been a god send. I tend to leave them now in the hope that people who really need them get them but now and again I can't resist. My last good buy was three long tubes of chocolate sprouts from Mark's and Spencers for 25p each "

Yeah I hear that but a house that needs massive renovation +one income household + hours cut at work = needs must.

Although I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy the 'thrill of the chase'.

The shop staff and security guards have started to recognise me now (not because I'm nicking stuff btw).

I bet each one of those chocolate sprouts tasted like victory (that's not a sentence I thought I'd be saying today).

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Not really watching the pennies but something I learned young, I have always spent max 80% of whatever I earned and for a while was in an online group where each year you had to give away your most expensive non essential item. It really help solve my gadget addiction

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"There have been times in our life when reduced to clear items have been a god send. I tend to leave them now in the hope that people who really need them get them but now and again I can't resist. My last good buy was three long tubes of chocolate sprouts from Mark's and Spencers for 25p each

Yeah I hear that but a house that needs massive renovation +one income household + hours cut at work = needs must.

The shop staff and security guards have started to recognise me now (not because I'm nicking stuff btw).

I bet each one of those chocolate sprouts tasted like victory (that's not a sentence I thought I'd be saying today). "

Yeah I wasn't trying to be all superior I just know what reduced items meant for us at one time.

I gave a pack of chocolate sprouts to my dad. He didn't eat them for ages because he thought they were real sprouts

East Midlands

"Not really watching the pennies but something I learned young, I have always spent max 80% of whatever I earned and for a while was in an online group where each year you had to give away your most expensive non essential item. It really help solve my gadget addiction "

Give away to charity or gift to a friend? Either way that's it's an interesting concept!

East Midlands

"There have been times in our life when reduced to clear items have been a god send. I tend to leave them now in the hope that people who really need them get them but now and again I can't resist. My last good buy was three long tubes of chocolate sprouts from Mark's and Spencers for 25p each

I bet each one of those chocolate sprouts tasted like victory (that's not a sentence I thought I'd be saying today).

Yeah I wasn't trying to be all superior I just know what reduced items meant for us at one time.

I gave a pack of chocolate sprouts to my dad. He didn't eat them for ages because he thought they were real sprouts "

No it didn't come across like you were.

Imagines the scene: Awh Dad! Tsk! These chocolate sprouts are wasted on you!

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

Pandemic seems to work miracles for my bank account. I'd prefer to be broke again though x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I gave a pack of chocolate sprouts to my dad. He didn't eat them for ages because he thought they were real sprouts

No it didn't come across like you were.

Imagines the scene: Awh Dad! Tsk! These chocolate sprouts are wasted on you! "

He thought I'd finally lost it buying him sprouts covered in chocolate.

Dubai & Nottingham

"Not really watching the pennies but something I learned young, I have always spent max 80% of whatever I earned and for a while was in an online group where each year you had to give away your most expensive non essential item. It really help solve my gadget addiction

Give away to charity or gift to a friend? Either way that's it's an interesting concept! "

Either just get rid of it but a Christmas gift to someone who needs it was popular. The idea is it’s meant to help someone, hurt a little , make you think about buying things you don’t really need... it works, I’m much more deliberative now when spending on me

Try the too good to go app

East Midlands

"

He thought I'd finally lost it buying him sprouts covered in chocolate. "

It would definitely be an acquired taste! The only way to eat sprouts is to roast them with some olive oil, then drizzle a bit of balsamic over the top.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

He thought I'd finally lost it buying him sprouts covered in chocolate.

It would definitely be an acquired taste! The only way to eat sprouts is to roast them with some olive oil, then drizzle a bit of balsamic over the top. "

There is no way to eat sprouts in my opinion.

East Midlands

"

Either just get rid of it but a Christmas gift to someone who needs it was popular. The idea is it’s meant to help someone, hurt a little , make you think about buying things you don’t really need... it works, I’m much more deliberative now when spending on me "

Really good idea! Going to Colwick Car boot is also a good way remind ourselves not to buy stuff we don't need!

East Midlands

"

There is no way to eat sprouts in my opinion. "

That's what I thought until I tried roasting them and then drizzling a decent balsamic.

East Midlands

"Try the too good to go app "

Wasn't that impressed with the options in my area when I tried that to be honest, but it's a great idea!

"Try the too good to go app "

I came here to say this. Some deals especially bakeries and fruit & veg are definitely worth going for

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

"Guy at WORK drys out used tea bags"

Not as bad as reusing condoms and hanging them in the line to dry, I think that would take the biscuit

East Midlands

"Pandemic seems to work miracles for my bank account. I'd prefer to be broke again though x"

Yes, for those of us who have been lucky enough to have remained in employment, it's been an opportunity to save some pennies if nothing else! Hopefully you'll be in a position to treat yourself once this is all over.

"Try the too good to go app

Wasn't that impressed with the options in my area when I tried that to be honest, but it's a great idea! "

Yea I've found that too but guess depends where you're based. Good principle though

When I was around 15/16 my mates dad owned a couple of garden centres, we worked out that with a piece of hose pipe we could suck the coins out of the wishing wells.

Back then In the 70's the 10p pieces soon added up to buy booze and fags for the girls.

East Midlands

"

Yea I've found that too but guess depends where you're based. Good principle though "

Definitely. Anything that helps avoid food waste and save a few pennies is a win win.

By *exy studMan  over a year ago

Derby

"I don't save points qnd if I'm shopping and have spent a bit I used to offer my receipt to the person behind"

I would love to be behind you at the check out what a kind person you are

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

This thread is *exhausting*. And I say that as someone who's previously been the sleeping-on-the-floor kind of poor.

They'll get the delux care home though, not the el cheapo one "

No such thing as a cheap care home. If the local council pay for your care you get put in the same home as people who pay for themselves but the council pays slightly less. When my Dad was in a nursing home for 2 years he spent about £85,000 - not a luxurious one either.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

No such thing as a cheap care home. If the local council pay for your care you get put in the same home as people who pay for themselves but the council pays slightly less. When my Dad was in a nursing home for 2 years he spent about £85,000 - not a luxurious one either. "

Currently an average level of care can't be bought for less than £1500 a week. A level of care that I would actively want a relative of mine to have would probably cost £2500 and upwards a week I'd say.

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

I'm cheap also, I look at the prices always, usually buy everything own supermarket branded goods (food/drink). Avoid all branded. My clothes I wear until they rip, Even my phone is pay as you go and use only WiFi.

Hate spending, and if I ever do have to buy something I instantly regret it after, always eBay first option cheapest.

Even tho I can buy and easily afford anything I wanted, I'm cheap as ever.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

There is a guy living in the Republic of Ireland, whom Ben Fogle visited recently, who has become an expert in living without money.

He has also given a TED which is available online, but it was disappointing; he was not an expert communicator at that time.

I think he resides in County Galway, and welcomes visitors who aspire to a less acquisitive, more relaxed and more frugal lifestyle.

His time with Ben Fogle was stimulating and thought-provoking; he came across as a very deep thinker who had become disillusioned with the conventional ratrace.

By *elpful and caringMan  over a year ago

Scarborough

You tight bastard op!

Ruislip

"You tight bastard op! "

I take that as a compliment.

By *ersey GirlCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

I'd call it theft

R

No such thing as a cheap care home. If the local council pay for your care you get put in the same home as people who pay for themselves but the council pays slightly less. When my Dad was in a nursing home for 2 years he spent about £85,000 - not a luxurious one either.

Currently an average level of care can't be bought for less than £1500 a week. A level of care that I would actively want a relative of mine to have would probably cost £2500 and upwards a week I'd say. "

That was 6/7 years ago cost - prices have rocketed since.

Dubai & Nottingham

"There is a guy living in the Republic of Ireland, whom Ben Fogle visited recently, who has become an expert in living without money.

He has also given a TED which is available online, but it was disappointing; he was not an expert communicator at that time.

I think he resides in County Galway, and welcomes visitors who aspire to a less acquisitive, more relaxed and more frugal lifestyle.

His time with Ben Fogle was stimulating and thought-provoking; he came across as a very deep thinker who had become disillusioned with the conventional ratrace."

Is he the guy that provides free hostel for people wanting to drop out of capitalism for a while ? I think these places are really good , I know a few dotted around the world, a friend of mine is in one now recovering. It’s good to live without money for a while , tales the focus of grabbing abs consuming and then return and realise what a great tool it is for changing the world

Maybe the people living without money as a life experiment should give their money away to people that need it.

I haven't seen the documentaries mentioned but isn't Ben Fogle friends with the royal family?

Just another rich boy playing dress up.

"Maybe the people living without money as a life experiment should give their money away to people that need it.

I haven't seen the documentaries mentioned but isn't Ben Fogle friends with the royal family?

Just another rich boy playing dress up."

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Anyone on here old enough to remember Green Shield Stamps?

Happy days driving around all the filling stations looking for who was offering quadruple or even sixfold stamps.

When you had enough stamps to buy a casserole or the like you would toddle off to the redemption centre (later to become Argos) to collect your item.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"Anyone on here old enough to remember Green Shield Stamps?

Happy days driving around all the filling stations looking for who was offering quadruple or even sixfold stamps.

When you had enough stamps to buy a casserole or the like you would toddle off to the redemption centre (later to become Argos) to collect your item."

Found some part filled books of green shield stamps at the back of a draw a while back. There were some pages that had stamps double the size of the green ones and were brown I think, presume they were higher value. There was a little catalogue as well. Should have kept them but was having a good clear out so they got binned.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I thought of you yesterday as it happens O.P.

I used the last of the tom puree...... there wasn't quite enough but I didn't want to open a new tube.....

SO....... I cut the bottom of the old tube put some water in .... shook it up n down and poured it into the pan ..... I felt smug.

Saved at least 2p.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I thought of you yesterday as it happens O.P.

I used the last of the tom puree...... there wasn't quite enough but I didn't want to open a new tube.....

SO....... I cut the bottom of the old tube put some water in .... shook it up n down and poured it into the pan ..... I felt smug.

Saved at least 2p. "

Send a cheque for 2p to the op

I'm glad to hear this I always wait for the vouchers and receipts to print them leave the ones I won't use for other to take advantage of. I always wondered if people did. Same with car park tickets if there is lots of time on them.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I thought of you yesterday as it happens O.P.

Saved at least 2p.

Send a cheque for 2p to the op "

Just send me the stamp !

BRIDPORT

I'm glad to hear this I always wait for the vouchers and receipts to print them leave the ones I won't use for other to take advantage of. I always wondered if people did. Same with car park tickets if there is lots of time on them."

I used to always give my parking ticket to someone just parking up as I left.

Ideal if they were just nipping to shop for something quick.

Unfortunately the bastards council round here have installed the meters that you have to put your registration number in and it gets printed on the ticket so cannot do this anymore.

Reminds me of when they had Kensitas coupons in cigarette packets which could be redeemed for goods. I think my grandparents smoked like chimneys for a year just to get a free kettle.

Recycling is good though. If the better half has a birthday or special occasion, it's good to recycle some flowers around dusk from the local graveyard. Granted it's hard to explain why a 'we miss you Grandpa' card pops up in the flowers but it's the thought that counts, and is environmentally friendly.

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

My father in law used to charge his wife petrol money if he drove her to the shops. He also charged her for stamps.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

"Not to the same extent as you OP but all my work expenses, hotels, consumables etc go through top cashback and I always collect either BP or clubcard points on company car fuel. When I am traveling I collect Costa points on coffee, clubcard points on lunch, nandos points on dinner non of which was my money. It's all about the grift... "

I never use loyalty cards ever. These companies never give anything away for nothing, it's a marketing to get you to spend more of your money with them.

I actually make my own sandwiches for lunch, and make my own tea or coffee at home or at work and that saves me loads compared to the people that come into work with a takeaway coffee in their hand and go out to buy sandwiches etc every day for lunch

North West

"My father in law used to charge his wife petrol money if he drove her to the shops. He also charged her for stamps. "

That's just deeply unpleasant

By *ihimbiherCouple  over a year ago

lightwater

If you find a receipt on the floor off a supermarket, pick it up and then shop for those items..... walk out with your receipt a whole trolley for freeeeeeeee!

I'm glad to hear this I always wait for the vouchers and receipts to print them leave the ones I won't use for other to take advantage of. I always wondered if people did. Same with car park tickets if there is lots of time on them.

Unfortunately the bastards council round here have installed the meters that you have to put your registration number in and it gets printed on the ticket so cannot do this anymore. "

see i think thats wrong, you have paid for a space for a certain amount of time , why should it matter what car sits in the space, if its one or if 5 take turns or if i want to sit in it myself with a trolley of crap waiting for a lift (not realistic i know but the point is the same), either way the end time is the same, and they are just selling something again that you already paid for when you leave it early and can’t pass along that ticket

"If you find a receipt on the floor off a supermarket, pick it up and then shop for those items..... walk out with your receipt a whole trolley for freeeeeeeee!"

Ohhhh my that is wrong but genius at the same time hahaha

North West

"Maybe the people living without money as a life experiment should give their money away to people that need it.

Just another rich boy playing dress up."

He's the son of a vet and an actress who came to the public eye through his participation in the reality TV programme "Castaway". His degree is from the University of Portsmouth (hardly prestigious). He's served in the Royal Navy Reserve during the Bosnia war, has undertaken many extremely immense physical challenges for charity, such as rowing the Atlantic, climbing Everest etc.

He campaigns for wildlife conservation, for the rights of indigenous people etc. He allows his Twitter account to be used by various charities to reach a wider audience.

His wife's Grandfather was a peer (he was also the President of the Royal College of GPs) but he has no connection to royalty. If he's friends with royals, it's through his work and activism. Ditto his wealth - it's earned through his work.

Yes, terrible guy. Terrible

By *lyreelMan  over a year ago

King's lynn

"I save the salt, pepper and sugar sachets that I don't use in cafés etc and take them on holiday, because you never use a pot of salt or bag of sugar on a 2wk self catering hol. My Grandma taught me well

I do this and with ketchup and mayonnaise sachets because they are brilliant take on picnics.

"

Basically theft.

Not frugality, the cafe buys them, you all nick them.

Just saying.

"I save the salt, pepper and sugar sachets that I don't use in cafés etc and take them on holiday, because you never use a pot of salt or bag of sugar on a 2wk self catering hol. My Grandma taught me well

Basically theft.

Just saying. "

i dont take them cause i have enough rubbish lying about the house as it is, but if a cafe puts them in your tray, or mcdonalds put them in the bag or whatever- they aren’t ever going back in the stock - you use them, you take them home or they end up in the bin

By *oodlandCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

You shouldn't be afraid to buy things from the 'reduced price' shelf because you can make a family meal from what you find there......... just hope the kids like their shoelace, WD40 and cat food casserole.

North West

Basically theft.

Just saying. "

We take the ones handed to us but that we do not use. I don't take sugar in my tea or put pepper on my food, but sachets are often put on the tray /saucer/with the cutlery and so we save those up. I don't think cafés recycle unused sachets previously handed out to customers? They definitely shouldn't be in the Covid era!

BRIDPORT

Unfortunately the bastards council round here have installed the meters that you have to put your registration number in and it gets printed on the ticket so cannot do this anymore.

see i think thats wrong, you have paid for a space for a certain amount of time , why should it matter what car sits in the space, if its one or if 5 take turns or if i want to sit in it myself with a trolley of crap waiting for a lift (not realistic i know but the point is the same), either way the end time is the same, and they are just selling something again that you already paid for when you leave it early and can’t pass along that ticket "

I think technically the ticket always did have ‘Non Transferable’ written on it, but passing it on was just something most people did. Council obviously thought they were being short changed, but like you say, that time has been bought and paid for so really they are just double charging.

He's the son of a vet and an actress who came to the public eye through his participation in the reality TV programme "Castaway". His degree is from the University of Portsmouth (hardly prestigious). He's served in the Royal Navy Reserve during the Bosnia war, has undertaken many extremely immense physical challenges for charity, such as rowing the Atlantic, climbing Everest etc.

He campaigns for wildlife conservation, for the rights of indigenous people etc. He allows his Twitter account to be used by various charities to reach a wider audience.

His wife's Grandfather was a peer (he was also the President of the Royal College of GPs) but he has no connection to royalty. If he's friends with royals, it's through his work and activism. Ditto his wealth - it's earned through his work.

Yes, terrible guy. Terrible "

Are you his PR?

Who said he was terrible?

I said he was a rich boy playing dress up - which is the case if you choose to live without money rather than it being beyond your control.

North West

Are you his PR?

I said he was a rich boy playing dress up - which is the case if you choose to live without money rather than it being beyond your control."

He's no more wealthy than any other person who is on the telly and he does a damn sight more for charitable organisations etc than a lot of celebs who are more wealthy. He doesn't come from "money", he's earned his wealth. I don't like it when people sneer at those who have earned what they have, especially not when that person endeavours to do good things.

Why Ben Fogle? Why pick on him?

Are you his PR?

I said he was a rich boy playing dress up - which is the case if you choose to live without money rather than it being beyond your control.

He's no more wealthy than any other person who is on the telly and he does a damn sight more for charitable organisations etc than a lot of celebs who are more wealthy. He doesn't come from "money", he's earned his wealth. I don't like it when people sneer at those who have earned what they have, especially not when that person endeavours to do good things.

Why Ben Fogle? Why pick on him?"

Someone mentioned him on the thread.

If anyone is sneering it's you and de railing the thread.

By *aomilatteCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

Had 5 nights at Disneyland Paris for a family of four on Tescos points. Also 2 weeks in Lanzarote. Oh for the days of 4x the value

By *lamorousBeautyLondonWoman  over a year ago

London

Hm, I don't think that anyone is... And I thought I was frugal! Although my frugality is related more to my means and the values I grew up with, the mentality of not wasting and not poluting. So it is both economical and ecological. I think that there are so many things and so much food wasted in the Western world. Of course, having enough wealth to go around means that charity shops are for charity, they are not just second hand for profit so there is bad and good, just like with anything.

Personally, I think that there has to be a balance between economy, ecology, quality of life and our social interactions. When someone is frugal to a fault, it does make me wonder if they are mean in other ways. They might not be of course, it could be just a quirk or downright obsession - but the latter would seriously interfere in daily life so that's a real downside.

It does make me laugh when people make assumptions and think that they have to spend lots of money or buy branded items to get quality things - they really don't. Having a good taste is what matters. As a consumer I am very cynical and tend to see right through various selling ploys. It is not the label that tells me the quality, the ingredients do when it comes to food. Another thing that seems ridiculous to me is people wearing clothing with labels displayed - and they pay a lot of money for them. What a clever trick! A brand gets people to pay a lot of money to advertise them. I don't think so - if someone wants me to advertise them, they will have to pay me - not the other way around

» Add a new message to this topic