FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Grammatical pickiness

Grammatical pickiness

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *izzy69 OP   Man  over a year ago

London

Do you get pedantic over the way people write?

Personally, I don't mind smelling pistakes (see what I did there...lol). We're all prone to autocorrect.

But it really winds me up when people write "could of" instead of "could have" for example. That isn't even writing as we speak, the phrase literally has no meaning in the English language.

What gets your goat about the way people write?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When say that I am a sexy women.

When you are asked a question and you give a detailed answer , then receive a reply with one or two words with no effort. That grinds my gears.

London

"When say that I am a sexy women. "

Haha. How many of you are there exactly...

By *ingadinga2319Couple  over a year ago

Stoke

People not knowing the difference between your and you're! ...

or incorrect use of apostrophes.

By *gent CoulsonMan  over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

Text speak gets me angry, wtf is that all about

London

"When you are asked a question and you give a detailed answer , then receive a reply with one or two words with no effort. That grinds my gears."

Yup. And they say in their own profile not to write one sentence messages.

London

"Text speak gets me angry, wtf is that all about"

Aha. Clever. I see what you did

yep!

Px

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I get more annoyed by my own mistakes than other people's. As long as the meaning is clear, I won't usually get hung up on the details.

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

I don’t think it’s how something is written that particularly bothers me, it’s more what is written.

For example I can imagine somebody saying could of, now you purport that you shouldn’t write something you wouldn’t say; however if people wrote as a transcript that would finish me off.

There’s only so many so’s and like’s I can take.

"People not knowing the difference between your and you're! ...

or incorrect use of apostrophes. "

Bastard's!

It doesn’t matter on here cause it’s against forum rules to correct grammar, but I must admit my eyelids twitch when I see someone using the wrong ‘your’ or ‘you’re’ though.

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

None of it really matters to me as long as I can read it without too much thought.

It’s not much different to me that struggling to understand someone having a different accent/dialect, or level of fluency with spoken English.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Alot of things, people should of taken the time to proof read and not make no mistakes. Its not that hard to do really but there to busy one hand typing. If only more people had you're knowledge OP, the world would be a better place sadly the affect of social media is widespread.

London

Bastard's!"

Yeah. Hang 'em I say

"When you are asked a question and you give a detailed answer , then receive a reply with one or two words with no effort. That grinds my gears.

Yup. And they say in their own profile not to write one sentence messages."

That’s the one right there. Head scratcher

London

"Alot of things, people should of taken the time to proof read and not make no mistakes. Its not that hard to do really but there to busy one hand typing. If only more people had you're knowledge OP, the world would be a better place sadly the affect of social media is widespread. "

You are hiralious Meli. That must have taken a lot of effort. (Or should that be "must of"?)

By *airyfatmanMan  over a year ago

by 'ere

Bastard's!"

Big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit......

"None of it really matters to me as long as I can read it without too much thought.

It’s not much different to me that struggling to understand someone having a different accent/dialect, or level of fluency with spoken English."

I'm really bad with accents. Loads I can't understand.

They're, there, their.

Boils my piss when people don't know the difference or are too lazy to use the correct spelling

London

"They're, there, their.

Boils my piss when people don't know the difference or are too lazy to use the correct spelling "

"Boils my piss"??!!

Literally rolling on the floor laughing out loud!

by 'ere

"None of it really matters to me as long as I can read it without too much thought.

It’s not much different to me that struggling to understand someone having a different accent/dialect, or level of fluency with spoken English.

I'm really bad with accents. Loads I can't understand. "

I've always had that issue. Turned out it's because I've got hearing issues that were never diagnosed until a few years ago. Hearing aids help but still a struggle, especially on the phone

"Alot of things, people should of taken the time to proof read and not make no mistakes. Its not that hard to do really but there to busy one hand typing. If only more people had you're knowledge OP, the world would be a better place sadly the affect of social media is widespread.

You are hiralious Meli. That must have taken a lot of effort. (Or should that be "must of"?)"

It really did! I'm very proud of it though.

Stratford

I'm really bad with accents. Loads I can't understand. "

I don’t think there’s a problem with that. Many people are the same but we don’t treat that the same way as we would poor command of written language which I find odd.

I find when I speak to uncles from the West Indies it takes me a while to clock what they are saying but I just have to pay a bit more attention.

Some accents and regional dialects are a nightmare to understand

Stratford

"Alot of things, people should of taken the time to proof read and not make no mistakes. Its not that hard to do really but there to busy one hand typing. If only more people had you're knowledge OP, the world would be a better place sadly the affect of social media is widespread. "

I laughed

I've always had that issue. Turned out it's because I've got hearing issues that were never diagnosed until a few years ago. Hearing aids help but still a struggle, especially on the phone"

That's interesting, I struggle on the phone too. I might need a hearing test.

Noffink gets my goat

I don’t think there’s a problem with that. Many people are the same but we don’t treat that the same way as we would poor command of written language which I find odd.

I find when I speak to uncles from the West Indies it takes me a while to clock what they are saying but I just have to pay a bit more attention.

Some accents and regional dialects are a nightmare to understand "

It's awful, I have to ask them to repeat what they said and I'm sure sometimes they think I'm taking the piss but I'm really not.

American friends can understand really strong Scottish accents better than I can.

It’s really tricky.

There are those who are lucky because they got taught, and who aren’t dyslexic/foreign and managing speaking a different language(or a myriad of other reasons), and there are those who weren’t.

How do you know the difference?

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

Yes, definitely the worst out of any and also to and too

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

The thing I can’t manage is text talk in messages. I just don't understand it.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I try to be relaxed about these things none of us is perfect and I have no idea about semi colons, colons etc.

But...

Should, could of really does make me bristle as does forfill fantasies and working progress.

I know it's because people write how they speak and I was about 25 before I realised that thank you was two words so...

by 'ere

I've always had that issue. Turned out it's because I've got hearing issues that were never diagnosed until a few years ago. Hearing aids help but still a struggle, especially on the phone

That's interesting, I struggle on the phone too. I might need a hearing test. "

Had my initial one done as a freebie through specsavers. My mid range (so general speech frequencies) are buggered, but high and low are fine. Means i can hear moans and screaming just fine.....

By *kyblue1878Couple  over a year ago

Southport

Are you two faced, lol x

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

Double negatives, "I didn't do nothing m'lud"

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

Hi, how are you

Literally

Text talk

Innit

Just a few of my ever extending list of word crimes.

By *irtydevil666Man  over a year ago

bristol

The grammar police will have a field day.......

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

We all know that autocarrot can cause the odd problem but apart from my phone trying to outguess what I’m saying, there is absolutely no excuse for bad spelling.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It depends if I can easily decipher what they are trying to say to me. If I can and they have a lovely body then I’ll let it go.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

"It’s really tricky.

There are those who are lucky because they got taught, and who aren’t dyslexic/foreign and managing speaking a different language(or a myriad of other reasons), and there are those who weren’t.

How do you know the difference? "

I pretty much taught myself as didn't concentrate at school and also dyslexic.

As long as I can make out what's been said it doesn't really matter but it's just one of those things that grinds a little at times.

We all have a way to learn if have phones, just takes a little time to get it drilled in so you remember

By *irtydevil666Man  over a year ago

bristol

Is it not just something else people can judge others on.... I am not the world's greatest speller but try my best......

By *ecretlivesCouple  over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

"Do you get pedantic over the way people write?

Personally, I don't mind smelling pistakes (see what I did there...lol). We're all prone to autocorrect.

But it really winds me up when people write "could of" instead of "could have" for example. That isn't even writing as we speak, the phrase literally has no meaning in the English language.

What gets your goat about the way people write?"

People who use "get" when they mean "become", starting a sentence with "But", inaccurate use of "literally" and confusing "writing as we speak" with "writing as it is spoken" (or possibly "said").

Interestingly people would not generally write "could of" for "could have" - they would write it for "could've" which is correct but drummed out of most children by teachers valuing archaic rules over learning.

We are all guilty of errors. If people say nice things I don't care how they do it.

Do you konw taht if the frsit and lsat letetrs of the wrod are lfet and mdidle ltters are jeumbld, you can sittl raed it.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

People who use "get" when they mean "become", starting a sentence with "But", inaccurate use of "literally" and confusing "writing as we speak" with "writing as it is spoken" (or possibly "said").

Interestingly people would not generally write "could of" for "could have" - they would write it for "could've" which is correct but drummed out of most children by teachers valuing archaic rules over learning.

We are all guilty of errors. If people say nice things I don't care how they do it. "

Could of isn't the long version of could've or have I misunderstood you?

By *ean counterMan  over a year ago

Kettering

People who don't know the difference between to and too !! Basic English language!!!

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

It doesn't bother me, my brain corrects it for me, so I understand it.

East London

People complaining about others' spelling and grammar should always proof-read their own profiles.

FABWatch HQ

We are all guilty of errors. If people say nice things I don't care how they do it.

Could of isn't the long version of could've or have I misunderstood you?"

People say could've/of as they are phonetically very similar then continue the error when writing, so it seems unlikely they thought of "could have" even if it was the interpretation. All bets are off when writing speech, as "you can say it 'ow ya bleedin like, specially in 'Astings"

by 'ere

Most spelling doesn't bother me if it's obvious what someone is trying to say. It's missing fullstops and commas etc that make things extremely difficult to follow sometimes. It can make a couple of sentences mean something completely different if not clear where one ends and another begins....

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Was that painful to type and post?

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

The average reading age in the UK is nine. It shows.

I could spend every waking moment copy-editing other people's writing, but it won't get me paid and it won't get me laid, so fuck it.

I routinely come across posts on here that are so broken I can't fully decipher what they're supposed to say.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Text is a blunt inaccurate medium... meanings easily get lost or misconstrued

I’m an English teacher, so there are many, many things that infuriate me when it comes to people’s command of written language. Incorrect homophones are definitely number one on the list, for me.

East London

"The average reading age in the UK is nine. It shows.

I could spend every waking moment copy-editing other people's writing, but it won't get me paid and it won't get me laid, so fuck it.

I routinely come across posts on here that are so broken I can't fully decipher what they're supposed to say. "

Where did you get that information from?

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

When I have to Google the saying because I don't get it

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple  over a year ago

Fucksville

My friends call me the grammar police.... But it winds me up even more if I've made a mistake! It does get to me if spelling is off etc but if they're funny or they stand out I'll let it slide x I don't mean to be like this it's just a pet peeve

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

People do say could of and not could have so it is writing in the vernacular. It doesn't bother me unless someone is correcting another person and gets it wrong lol

Was one on a thread the other day where someone thought they were bring clever but just looked like a dick.

"Alot of things, people should of taken the time to proof read and not make no mistakes. Its not that hard to do really but there to busy one hand typing. If only more people had you're knowledge OP, the world would be a better place sadly the affect of social media is widespread.

Was that painful to type and post? "

Pleasurably so.

By *retty womanWoman  over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

Me too.

And there, they're, their

"I’m an English teacher, so there are many, many things that infuriate me when it comes to people’s command of written language. Incorrect homophones are definitely number one on the list, for me."

I deplore homophonia - disgusting.

By *ohnywrongunMan  over a year ago

Epping

cant see you, but I bet you are sexy

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

No I don’t. And I don’t think correcting the spelling or grammar of others on a public forum is big or clever really.

However, I prefer for folk to not use text speak as I’m not down with the kids when it comes to the lingo.

"I’m an English teacher, so there are many, many things that infuriate me when it comes to people’s command of written language. Incorrect homophones are definitely number one on the list, for me.

I deplore homophonia - disgusting. "

We need an anti-homophonia support group.

I get people make mistakes, maybe now and then use the wrong word, spelling mistakes... these things happen.

But, one thing I can’t live with is lack of commas.. and excessive text talk. I find it so much effort to piece together what’s being said in one long sentence, so tend to not bother reading it.

"No I don’t. And I don’t think correcting the spelling or grammar of others on a public forum is big or clever really.

However, I prefer for folk to not use text speak as I’m not down with the kids when it comes to the lingo.

"

This .

Also, agree with the text talk, mainly because I don’t understand it .

I have fairly low standards for other people's messages but when people abandon punctuation totally I find it difficult to ignore.

I believe languages are living and evolving as we do, so while technically OP you are correct in what you say, I do think that language works for us and that as long as you are communicating clearly then the actual way things are said is less important.

I'm Irish and our language places words in different places. For example the black dog is an madra dubh. Word for word translation is the dog black.

I'm saying all that to explain why some people put sentences together in ways that are not "standard" I live in an area that was irish speaking a generation ago and the English spoken here is influenced by an older language. Maybe that's why I am ok with mistakes and bad grammar.

I really, honestly try not to let grammatical abuse get to me. I know there are far worse things in the world, but....

Mixing up seen and saw, gone and went, all the "theirs" etc. It's like nails on a blackboard. One I hate most however is "ain't". I know it's just a contraction and used in common parlance but it's widely regarded as nonstandard verging on slang. I manage to cope though. I have way more things to bother me but things grate when they ain't great.

Nope, even though I'm in the grammar & spelling brigade, as well as incredibly pedantic about semantics ... I definitely don't stress about it and have much better things to do than even slightly think about it! A very dyslexic daughter has shown me that it means diddly squat in life and I would never judge (or even think about it) other people on how they write!

London

"It’s really tricky.

How do you know the difference? "

Using incorrect pronouns or lacking in pronouns or incorrect grammar shows that English might not be their 1st language, which is absolutely fine.

London

"The thing I can’t manage is text talk in messages. I just don't understand it. "

WTF Babs WTF!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Sadly , the days of people using correct English have went.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

You've picked exactly the one that I detest. You might say:

I have done this

That makes sense. "Have" is a verb. These things are directly related:

I should have done this.

I could have done this.

I would have done this.

You would not say:

I of done this

That doesn't make any sense at all. "Of" is not a verb. Therefore "should of", "could of" and "would of" equally make absolutely no sense.

They are a misunderstanding of the abbreviation "would've" etc., which is and abbreviation of "would have" not "would of".

Sorry, am I boring you?

London

"I have fairly low standards for other people's messages but when people abandon punctuation totally I find it difficult to ignore.

I believe languages are living and evolving as we do, so while technically OP you are correct in what you say, I do think that language works for us and that as long as you are communicating clearly then the actual way things are said is less important.

I'm Irish and our language places words in different places. For example the black dog is an madra dubh. Word for word translation is the dog black.

I'm saying all that to explain why some people put sentences together in ways that are not "standard" I live in an area that was irish speaking a generation ago and the English spoken here is influenced by an older language. Maybe that's why I am ok with mistakes and bad grammar. "

I liked this. Very well articulated Mr and Mrs Arrow

London

You've picked exactly the one that I detest. You might say:

I have done this

That makes sense. "Have" is a verb. These things are directly related:

I should have done this.

I could have done this.

I would have done this.

You would not say:

I of done this

That doesn't make any sense at all. "Of" is not a verb. Therefore "should of", "could of" and "would of" equally make absolutely no sense.

They are a misunderstanding of the abbreviation "would've" etc., which is and abbreviation of "would have" not "would of".

Sorry, am I boring you?"

Haha. That got your back up didn't it.

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"When you are asked a question and you give a detailed answer , then receive a reply with one or two words with no effort. That grinds my gears.

Yup. And they say in their own profile not to write one sentence messages.

That’s the one right there. Head scratcher"

I think it is probably fair to say that they are showing you that you aren't what they are looking for.

London

"Nope, even though I'm in the grammar & spelling brigade, as well as incredibly pedantic about semantics ... I definitely don't stress about it and have much better things to do than even slightly think about it! A very dyslexic daughter has shown me that it means diddly squat in life and I would never judge (or even think about it) other people on how they write! "

There's no "stress" involved. I speak 4 languages and can claim to be totally fluent in only 1 of them, so I know what it's like to be talking gibberish in a foreign tongue.

I also have a brother with learning difficulties who still cannot string a coherent sentence together in his twenties. So I'm well aware of and sensitive to some people's limitations.

This is just about the spiralling demise of the most basic elements of English in the average populous. (And only a bit of fun)

London

"Sadly , the days of people using correct English have went. "

Do you mean went...or do you mean "past"? ;-p

"Nope, even though I'm in the grammar & spelling brigade, as well as incredibly pedantic about semantics ... I definitely don't stress about it and have much better things to do than even slightly think about it! A very dyslexic daughter has shown me that it means diddly squat in life and I would never judge (or even think about it) other people on how they write!

There's no "stress" involved. I speak 4 languages and can claim to be totally fluent in only 1 of them, so I know what it's like to be talking gibberish in a foreign tongue.

I also have a brother with learning difficulties who still cannot string a coherent sentence together in his twenties. So I'm well aware of and sensitive to some people's limitations.

This is just about the spiralling demise of the most basic elements of English in the average populous. (And only a bit of fun)"

Instead of saying that I don't get stressed about it, maybe would have been easier if I worded it that it just doesn't bother my goat? He's pretty chilled too ...

I actually stress myself with spelling mistakes at work ..... I’m nit sure if it’s because I type too fast but I always spell enquiries and available wrong ....... I can spell them but always get it wrong and that annoying little red squiggle appears xxx

London

"Nope, even though I'm in the grammar & spelling brigade, as well as incredibly pedantic about semantics ... I definitely don't stress about it and have much better things to do than even slightly think about it! A very dyslexic daughter has shown me that it means diddly squat in life and I would never judge (or even think about it) other people on how they write!

This is just about the spiralling demise of the most basic elements of English in the average populous. (And only a bit of fun)

Instead of saying that I don't get stressed about it, maybe would have been easier if I worded it that it just doesn't bother my goat? He's pretty chilled too ... "

Well your goat is welcome to chill in my barn and graze on my lawn any time

Yes, but I usually let it slide. Nobody seems to check what they write these days ...

London

"I actually stress myself with spelling mistakes at work ..... I’m nit sure if it’s because I type too fast but I always spell enquiries and available wrong ....... I can spell them but always get it wrong and that annoying little red squiggle appears xxx"

Oh yes. Available always gets typed wrongly. Also "that" becomes "taht" and "and" becomes "amd". I feel another thread in this. Haha

You’ll know you’re a close friend of mine when I no longer care to change my typos and you can decipher the code I write in!

London

"I really, honestly try not to let grammatical abuse get to me. I know there are far worse things in the world, but....

Mixing up seen and saw, gone and went, all the "theirs" etc. It's like nails on a blackboard. One I hate most however is "ain't". I know it's just a contraction and used in common parlance but it's widely regarded as nonstandard verging on slang. I manage to cope though. I have way more things to bother me but things grate when they ain't great. "

I never understood "ain't"! What is that - short for "are not", "is not", "am not"?

The word goat I mean wtf is that about

London

"People complaining about others' spelling and grammar should always proof-read their own profiles.

"

....oh....? Send me a private message if that's a poke at me. I am 95% certain that my profile is devoid of major grammatical sin but full of devilish innuendo. I would welcome any corrections.

London

"The word goat I mean wtf is that about "

Good point. I will google the origins of that phrase.

London

"You’ll know you’re a close friend of mine when I no longer care to change my typos and you can decipher the code I write in!"

Yup. This

Once you get comfortable with someone it stops being a hang up....except for could/would/should of. Grrrr

Yes but they really meant - could’ve which is pronounced could of.

Well done

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Lady's instead of ladies.

I’m guilty of this.

It’s not the be all and end all, but good grammar & spelling is attractive, proves some intelligence and demonstrates that they can apply an attention to detail.

I write a lot at my work and read the written work of my colleagues where, when it’s poor, I do die a little inside.

Does that make me a grammar extremist?

(I’m chilled out normally. Honestly)

By *iercedlotsCouple  over a year ago

Stoke-on-Trent

There (over there)

Their (belonging to them )

They're (They are) and what the hell is a tounge? (tongue) and much much more.

By *elpful and caringMan  over a year ago

Scarborough

I have fat sausage fingers so sometimes I hit the wrong key.

I much prefer people what can spell proper!

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

Apostrophes mainly. In front of practically every s.

V x

"

Yeah, I got a right boner reading dear Deirdre when our milkman wrote in.

I knew it was him by the way he’d written semi skimmed.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Nope. English isn't a lot of people's first language. Even if it is I just find grammar police to be excessively snobby. Congratulations, you've mastered the basics of the English language and have no barriers that make it excessively difficult for you so now spend your time on the Internet mocking those who do.

FABWatch HQ

English is a peasant language that has survived and grown by absorbing the words and phrasing of the countless invaders and overlords. Grammar is in many ways the etiquette of language, and as with other historical forms of etiquette - table manners, flower arranging etc it was little more than an attempt to label, control and divide the rich, religious or academic from the rest of the population. Today it is the last bastion of the middle and chattering classes

Never figured Fab forums as the Uk's version of Académie Français...

Bastard's!"

Fucking Bastard's!

By *aver999Couple  over a year ago

East Mids

I apologize in advance for all the mistakes in this post.

No it doesn't bother me, but then it wouldn't as my grammar is shit and my spelling is crap.

What gets me is the length some people will go on technical forums especially, to point out mistakes in the questions rather than provide any answers, which begs the question why do they bother posting at all?

Maybe they just have too much time on their hands.

If people are that fussy about a misplaced comma or apostrophe, I'd hate to think how they'd react to a misplaced body appendage! (oh that was a big word )

(Mr)

London

"Nope. English isn't a lot of people's first language. Even if it is I just find grammar police to be excessively snobby. Congratulations, you've mastered the basics of the English language and have no barriers that make it excessively difficult for you so now spend your time on the Internet mocking those who do."

You are correct. English is not my first language. In fact, it's my 3rd. However, it has become my most fluent language despite the "barriers" to which you alluded. So I do think I have the right to be proud of my mastery to an extent that surpasses the native speakers.

"Nope. English isn't a lot of people's first language. Even if it is I just find grammar police to be excessively snobby. Congratulations, you've mastered the basics of the English language and have no barriers that make it excessively difficult for you so now spend your time on the Internet mocking those who do.

You are correct. English is not my first language. In fact, it's my 3rd. However, it has become my most fluent language despite the "barriers" to which you alluded. So I do think I have the right to be proud of my mastery to an extent that surpasses the native speakers."

I think you're amazing. I can't speak any other languages.

Gramma n stuff bother me but I wouldn't correct someone or mention it. Unless it were a little kid and then a would.

By *edGrayCouple  over a year ago

Swindon

Good grammar is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse or helping your Uncle, jack off a horse...

Personally, it's when folk use the words know & no, there & their incorrectly I start to get disheartened.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I see this so often in profiles, it's astounding.

I'm generally not bothered by grammar etc, except for a government that doesn't invest enough in education. I only feel this surprise for this type of error, that I'd guess the writer would notice.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Nope. English isn't a lot of people's first language. Even if it is I just find grammar police to be excessively snobby. Congratulations, you've mastered the basics of the English language and have no barriers that make it excessively difficult for you so now spend your time on the Internet mocking those who do.

You are correct. English is not my first language. In fact, it's my 3rd. However, it has become my most fluent language despite the "barriers" to which you alluded. So I do think I have the right to be proud of my mastery to an extent that surpasses the native speakers."

Being proud of your own abilities has nothing to do with judging or mocking others. That isn't the same thing.

East London

Don't big yourself up by putting others down.

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

I think it's fine to be proud of your ability. I've known so many non-native speakers whose English is better than that of the majority of native speakers, and it always kills me when the first thing they say is "I'm sorry for my bad English..."

English is a tough language, too. I used to work with a Hungarian woman for whom English was her *fourth* language after Italian and Japanese, and she said that English was the hardest of the four due to being so idiomatic. That's really saying something, especially given how complex Japanese is.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I only speak English, and I really regret how badly taught languages are in our education system. My first girlfriend, way way back in the mists of time, spoke *seven* languages...

The usual there, their, they're issue, but general use of text speak or abbreviations as well.

By *odgerMan  over a year ago

Coventry(ish)

When men say they are 'defiantly going to see her again' in veris...doesn't really get my goat but makes me think they must be an excitable chimp.

Don't get me on to thankyou though.

By *luboyoMan  over a year ago

North West / Birmingham

Here here

Coventry(ish)

Or ect for that matter.

Lazy typing + Lazy checking before sending = Lazy person = Lazy meet

I do tour for your too when texting lol xx

Coventry(ish)

Lazy typing + Lazy checking before sending = Lazy person = Lazy meet"

Think you may have hit upon something there...the quality of a meet tends to be directly proportional to the ability to communicate well.

Not all the time but generally (in case anyone's reading)

London

You are correct. English is not my first language. In fact, it's my 3rd. However, it has become my most fluent language despite the "barriers" to which you alluded. So I do think I have the right to be proud of my mastery to an extent that surpasses the native speakers.

Don't big yourself up by putting others down.

"

I didn't mock anyone except myself:

I entitled this thread with the word "pickiness" and even called this sort of annoyance "pedantic". How I have put anyone down except my own behaviour....

"Text speak gets me angry, wtf is that all about"
Surely "WTF" kind of falls into that category ? Just saying.

London

"Text speak gets me angry, wtf is that all about Surely "WTF" kind of falls into that category ? Just saying. "

Think it may have been irony

» Add a new message to this topic