FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Book club discussion thread

Book club discussion thread

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ea monkey OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

As the inaugural iteration of the fab book club (this time) I’m going to kick off the discussion of;

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

There are no good or bad feelings about it, enjoyed it, hated it or indifferent, the only thing that I’d ask is the all important ‘why’ you felt that way.

Remember that there are no right or wrong opinions, so please don’t attack people for them, discussion is meant to be fun!

Browse owl (thanks Granny) has spoken...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I just read a book by Stephen King “11/22/63”

Absolutely awesome.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I just read a book by Stephen King “11/22/63”

Absolutely awesome. "

I loved that

The TV show also featured a cute twinkly eyed James Franco..I loved that too

Absolutely awesome. "

What’s it about

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I’m still reading it, I’ll g set back to you

Manchester (he/him)

My apologies that it’s taken me so long to get to posting the thread, I’ve had a busy weekend, culminating in a 7 hour drive today.

Im still reading two. About 2/3 in. I just won't look until I finish, no problem.

"Im still reading two. About 2/3 in. I just won't look until I finish, no problem. "

*too

I’m still reading it too think next day or so should finish

By *areasRockinghorsepooWoman  over a year ago

my happy place

"Im still reading two. About 2/3 in. I just won't look until I finish, no problem. "

Same. I found the start really hard really but glad i kept with it so far. Will update when finished.

"Im still reading two. About 2/3 in. I just won't look until I finish, no problem.

Same. I found the start really hard really but glad i kept with it so far. Will update when finished. "

Same. Couldn't get into it.

Manchester (he/him)

Has anyone actually finished it?

If not, it’s not a problem. This thread can be a slow burn for when folks do finish

By *gent CoulsonMan  over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

I read a lot of sci-fi, prefers author J Allen

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

"Has anyone actually finished it?

If not, it’s not a problem. This thread can be a slow burn for when folks do finish"

Got a couple of chapters to go. Soz

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Still reading it, sorry Tea. My concentration isn't what it once was.

By *evil-AngelWoman  over a year ago

If not, it’s not a problem. This thread can be a slow burn for when folks do finish"

I have (teachers pet)

I really enjoyed it but it was a while ago so might have to browse through again to remind myself while others finish it off.

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I finished it today, I absolutely loved it. I don’t feel I can say much more until others have read it. But certainly was thought provoking

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I gave it a read - have tried to keep the following largely spoiler free, but there is a mention of the ending so beware if you've not finished.

I wasn't a fan. Positives I'd say the prose was reasonably well paced and it kept rumbling along, but overall it was just too dripping in mediocrity for my liking. It felt like a long, fictionalised, Sunday paper lifestyle supplement grade self help and philosophy book; shallow and rammed full of on the nose references to Thoreau and Hume etc.

Didn't really buy the depictions of mental health struggles of the rather dull, sexless protagonist. Her characterisation was paper thin. The alternate versions of herself were even more slight. What you're left with is an investigation into southern English middle class existential angst and hand wringing which seemed to push the idea that any exceptional life could be a bit crap too so be happy with your lot.

It's a Wonderful Life played with the idea better. Groundhog Day did it better. Even Quantum Leap riffed on the idea better. The climax, when it came, was entirely too predictable. Her cringey social media post read like the sort of copy paste nonsense which you see getting posted constantly by people who should have better things to do.

I'm glad I read it though. It's good to read something which I wouldn't normally look at.

Brighton - even Hove!

Absolutely awesome.

What’s it about"

That was the date Kennedy was assassinated. Shall I be a story spoiler?

By *he Mac LassWoman  over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

I did start reading it. I adore Matt Haig. However I got sidetracked by Tom Allen’s No Shame which I’m still devouring.

Brighton - even Hove!

"I read a lot of sci-fi, prefers author J Allen"

Ever read a book called ‘Wool’ or ‘Dust’? They’re good.

Manchester (he/him)

"I read a lot of sci-fi, prefers author J Allen

Ever read a book called ‘Wool’ or ‘Dust’? They’re good. "

You know that this thread is to discuss the one book that we chose at the start of the month?

Brighton - even Hove!

You know that this thread is to discuss the one book that we chose at the start of the month? "

Er.....no. Sorry I missed that. *ashamed*

Brighton - even Hove!

You know that this thread is to discuss the one book that we chose at the start of the month?

Er.....no. Sorry I missed that. *ashamed* "

Oh. Yes sorry. I was distracted because you said ‘brown hole’

Brighton - even Hove!

Can we make it a book a week cos I read fast.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Ive never done a book review before so apologies in advance.

I really enjoyed it..the obvious comparison was a wonderful life(which I love)

Sometimes you come across books which make you 'feel'and this was certainly one of those.

The chapter where she found the perfect life with the little girl in particular struck a chord.

Highly recommend.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yes. I finished it. I put in the effort as the date of this weekend was agreed. Not to worry I'll wait until people have finished.....

Reading tales of old Japan.

2nd time fascinating book

Manchester (he/him)

If not, it’s not a problem. This thread can be a slow burn for when folks do finish

Yes. I finished it. I put in the effort as the date of this weekend was agreed. Not to worry I'll wait until people have finished..... "

You get a gold star Granny

King's Crustacean

Yes. I finished it. I put in the effort as the date of this weekend was agreed. Not to worry I'll wait until people have finished.....

You get a gold star Granny "

Make it two. I said the above through gritted teeth.

King's Crustacean

and used a smiley

By *wosWoman  over a year ago

east london

Finished it ages ago... think I've read 3 or for since..

Think I picked it up , read the first few pages , and really wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it.. 2nd go I found it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it was going to be and really enjoyed it.. so true that the grass isn't always greener

A review:

At the Midnight Library you can never borrow the same book twice which in the case pf this novel that really isn't a problem.

I love Matt Haig, his books on how and why people struggle with the modern world  (how to stop time, notes on a nervous planet) are fascinating reads and I strongly recommend them. However the best bits of this novel are insights from those books. It was clear 30 pages in, how the story would end.

It reminded me of reading The Celestine Prophecy in the 90s. Good as a self help book, not great as a novel.

A gentle and pleasant enough read though. If you hadn't read his non fiction you may enjoy this more than I did.

King's Crustacean

I have wondered often where you are.

I have!

I found it an easy read and really enjoyed the concept of the book. There were a few bits that resonated with me, and especially early on almost for my highlighters out for quotes that really got me...must revisit.

The big focus here is guess for me was the what ifs of life...where do we fit and out worth...sometimes we lose ourselves and don’t see value or worth where others do, we don’t see how we touch people’s lives...

Thought provoking in places, choice and consequence...would things be better if turned back time and made a decision? It’s something we all reflect on....I certainly have. Though would the outcome be better? Not necessarily but we look with rose tinted glasses...

I have since looked at some of his other books and added to my wish list

Sorry, halfway through.

So far, not a fan tbh, hense taking so long to read, kind of feels like a chore

Im finding the main character too whiney and the fiction far too child like. Sort of like I would imagine a film for my kids to watch if there wasnt suicide references

my happy place

Just finished it. Tbh i found the start really hard to get through and thought if anyone reading it was in a bad place it may actually drag them lower. But it obviously gets easier to digest.

I thought it was a clever concept and it really got you thinking. But as a singleton i felt too much emphasis was put on a happy life means finding a perfect partner. Or maybe that is one of my regrets

Overall enjoyed it and not something i would normally have chosen. Thanks for organising OP

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

Bookmarking thread: I’m still reading.

liverpool

We gonna do a new one?

King's Crustacean

"We gonna do a new one?"

We haven't done this one yet.

liverpool

"We gonna do a new one?

"

True

"We gonna do a new one?

"

Tea monkey wont be available till tomorrow

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Would anyone like to pass their copy on to me? Been wanting to read this for a while!

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Catch 22 in my top 10, it's where the phrase came from after all, General Dreedles secretary is so sexy also and who doesn't like chocolate covered cotton

Ok, I just finished it.

It was slow and hard to get into, not my kind of story.

I worked out the ending from nearly the beginning which kind of kills any twists along the way.

The moral of the story is great but for me, that was the only good part of the book.

Can we have zombies or vampires next

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

I’m pretty gutted by this as I’m a massive fan of Matt Haig... however...I really don’t think fiction is his thing.

I love the premise of the book but I found the execution really 2 dimensional. I have no warmth towards any characters and thought the mini plots were way too obvious and brief.

I reckon I could have read the first and last few chapters, got the full gist and enjoyed it more.

Really disappointed.

King's Crustacean

I don't think i've ever disliked a book as much as I dislike Midnight Library by Matt Haigh.

I can't work out whether I am blessed to have no previous knowledge of any of his works or if i'd have suffered less had I become an acolyte via his early works and had forgotten how to respond objectively.

The premise was a draw initially, if nothing new. The main character found her way into alternative versions of her life via the selection of library books. Connections were easily made with 'Sliders' - 'Dr. Who' - The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Time Machine and a myriad of others who have produced far more interesting reads. Maybe it's best not to mention Life after Life by Kate Atkinson.... the similarities are too uncomforable to bear. Sadly , The Midnight Library not only made me think of Mr. Benn , a cartoon character of some 40 years since who found his way to adventures by popping into the local costume shop and trying on costumes.

At least I knew Mr. Benn was a children's book and programme. I'd expected an adult book from Matt Haigh but unfortunately I checked more than once to make sure that I wasn't reading a child's book.

I felt deceived. I'd expected a story. What I got was a self help book. Nothing wrong with self help books if that is what you are looking for ( I wasn't )

Each 'life' visited by the main character was short and undeveloped. The characters were much the same. Without depth. This wouldn't have mattered except that halfway through the book I could no longer distinguish between the alternative lives but I could easily predict what was going to happen in the next.

It seemed odd to me that despite being in 'her own life' .... albeit an alternative one - that the main character didn't know where she was or who she was speaking to and had to 'learn' the new life and how she was related to any new characters.

I couldn't help thinking that the constant use of philosophers names served as no more than name dropping. It seemed to be a covert message that readers who were contemplating suicide might like to look up these names and so a bit of salvationary reading.

There's no doubt that Matt Haigh can write. The opening pages were enticing enough ..... in the end there was no meat on the bones and a lot of dust on the books..... Maybe i'm just not his demographic.

Enjoy.

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Ohhhhhhh. I totally forgot about this Will start afresh next month!

This seems to have been quite a flop.

Not many reviews gone up.

Is there any plans to do another book as I am looking to get another read in

Edinburgh

"This seems to have been quite a flop.

Is there any plans to do another book as I am looking to get another read in"

Yeah, everyone talked it up on the thread where a book club was suggested. Typical.. big talk coming to nothing when it comes to actually getting between the sheets. Of paper that is.

I'd be up for taking on another book though.

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

Sat and read Blasted by Sarah Kane, for the 50th time but still loved it.

King's Crustacean

Yeah, everyone talked it up on the thread where a book club was suggested. Typical.. big talk coming to nothing when it comes to actually getting between the sheets. Of paper that is.

"

I'm not up for another FAB FORUM book club ......

I'll find it better to read books I want to read.

I was willing to go along with it but we are WAY past the date ( 27th March ) that was supposed to be discussion weekend. No one gave a shit.

It's a lesson in FAB life....

I'll post my proper review tonight. Though I want to steal some of GC thoughts. It was a struggle. And ditto about self help book. I shuddered.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Ah apologies, real life things took precedence for a bit.

I really wanted to enjoy the book and I tried to navigate through the clunky, slightly irritating narration without sighing or being easily distracted. I finally finished it this morning, employing large quantities of caffeine to prevent me drifting off.

I don't mind self help books and I'm sure for some they found Nora's journey inspiring and it instilled in them a deep sense to do more, to appreciate more. For me it became a bit *too* predictable, rather twee in parts that wasn't aided by a lack in character development and the almost absurd, state the obvious dialogue that kept cropping up. And the name dropping mentioned upthread? Yes... well done Nora for studying philosophy (in case it's not obvious I didn't warm to the protagonist).

I couldn't get behind the final message of the book, that gratitude could suddenly magically cure a mental health condition - a dismissive, tired trope of an idea wheeled out far too oft in these magical, "inspirational" texts. I wanted to like it. I really did.

I'm afraid I didn't.

I just know this book will be made into a film, it is ripe for a Christmas blockbuster unfortunately. Seemed more like a young adult read, simplistic and aimed at a teenage audience?

If you are positive and value life then you may enjoy the premise of this story but, if you're struggling and finding life challenging you may be brought down by the simplistic fantasy and feel bad about yourself because life is not easy.

I get why Matt Haig wrote this book and has had his own mental health struggles but it definitely won’t be for everyone.

my happy place

I was willing to go along with it but we are WAY past the date ( 27th March ) that was supposed to be discussion weekend. No one gave a shit.

It's a lesson in FAB life.... "

Its sometimes nice to read an author you wouldnt normally chose for yourself.

Reading "Dune" by Frank Herbert at the minute. Absolutely awsome.

Manchester (he/him)

It's a lesson in FAB life.... "

There seems to be a fair amount of bitterness regarding this concept and the lack of discussion and completion of the reading!

I’m not massively surprised though. As Granny said; ‘it’s a lesson in fab life’

It's a lesson in FAB life....

There seems to be a fair amount of bitterness regarding this concept and the lack of discussion and completion of the reading!

I’m not massively surprised though. As Granny said; ‘it’s a lesson in fab life’

"

I really enjoyed reading a book that I might not have otherwise ... was looking forward to this month's!!

Manchester (he/him)

I apologise for those disappointed with the slow responses to this thread. Unfortunately life gets in the way at times and precludes other things.

I’ll pop back on with the next thread for choosing in the next day or two

I finished a while ago but held back on a thorough review because people were still reading.

I did enjoy the book and the grass is greener concept was interesting.

As a counsellor, I joke that a lot of people want a magic wand waved to change their life without putting the work in and this book was this I'm action. It was an obvious ending from the start but that didn't really spoil it for me. If I want to think, then I read non fiction so I'm quite happy to read easy fiction.

I wasn't that keen on the main character but I thought the librarian was great.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I finished it ages ago.

It didn't do much for me I'm afraid.

From what I remember he kept quoting philosophers; which is something I really don't like.

I found it a rather depressing read, with no highlights-just lots of lowlights.

It's a good concept that has been done better in the past.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm up for another book if anyone else is.

my happy place

"I finished it ages ago.

It didn't do much for me I'm afraid.

From what I remember he kept quoting philosophers; which is something I really don't like.

I found it a rather depressing read, with no highlights-just lots of lowlights.

It's a good concept that has been done better in the past.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm up for another book if anyone else is.

"

I am

I say keep the flame lit, even if it's only half a dozen of us that stuck with the programme. People can come and go as they please, right?

Not the most auspicious start for sure, but I'm in for more if Tea Monkey and a few of the rest of us are.

Just a thought, but I wonder if it would help if we rotated a turn in picking a book rather than putting each month to a vote? Maybe if Granny picked one she might tarry a while.

I enjoyed reading your review GC, you were far less diplomatic than I.

Edinburgh

I'm game for more. We did have a dozen or so contributors who'd read the book, just they came in over a long time so the chat never got exactly lively. Definitely enjoyed reading the different views.

Was interesting to see the high proportion of negative reactions given how successful the book seems to have been.

As for choosing, pretty open minded about where to go next - whether that's taking turns, suggestions and voting, or finding a list/ lists of books online for inspiration.

[Removed by poster at 09/04/21 19:21:39]

Arrrgh. I had a prejudice towards the book after reading reviews online. It just didn't relate.

The main character was a bit of a grown up, neurotic version of Ann of Green Gables. She irked me and pulled my spirits down. I wanted to shake her every few pages and beg to end this library loop with something twisted. So often it reminded me of other stories and themes, quite worn out ones. And as much as I used to enjoy the Sophie's World and similar, two decades ago... Noras troubles or reflections didn't connect with me much.

Whatever comes next, I'm happy to try. Maybe something from a male perspective now please?

The concept of no matter what we think of our lives now going back and changing things does not necessarily lead to a better life was what I got from the book...given where I am and some contemplation around my life as it is the book designated to that degree. We can change many things we are still us and often over look the little things.

Bring on the next book!

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

How about we pick a genre for the next book, and put forward suggestions from the genre?

"How about we pick a genre for the next book, and put forward suggestions from the genre?

"

Yes!

Another option would be to find a ready made list we could work through. I know Richard and Judy used to do one, I'm sure others do.

There have been different lists over the years, top 50 books or best books by British authors for example

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party.

Finished the book ages ago.

I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. Thought it was predictable.

Happy to read another suggestion.

» Add a new message to this topic