FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > A throw away comment!

A throw away comment!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *nabelle21 OP   Woman  over a year ago

B38

I was talking about recycling the rubbish and someone said "don't know why you bother, it all ends up together at the end if the day!"

Now this thought really bothered me.

So I'm wondering if anyone's in the know?

What does happen to the recycling once collected?

It really saddens me to think of the mountains of land fill...the environmental impact of it all.

Plastic in the oceans..washing up on beaches.

We've got animals using it to make nests.

Others getting trapped in it..the negative impact list is endless!

I'm wondering how many people think recycling is a waste of time?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

As far as I'm aware most items are dealt with the way they should be. So I recycle every thing I can

B38

"As far as I'm aware most items are dealt with the way they should be. So I recycle every thing I can"

I'd like to think so.

It's not the first time I've heard such comments!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It doesnt all end up the same place.

Metal, card/paper, wood is all recycled in most places.

The stuff that isn't recyclable or mixed waste some goes to landfill, a lot is now being burnt in power stations to generate electricity.

Cheaper to burn it and generate power, also more environmentally friendly with the exhaust gas treatment systems now in place.

The waste from burning, fly ash and bottom ash is also recycled and used in construction materials.

By *eyond PurityCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Recycling is never a waste of time. These items are getting recycled again and again and will/do help the environment.

I despair more for the narrow-mindedness of people who think it’s fine to not do their bit!

If we all decided to not bother the impact on the oceans and wildlife would be considerably worse.

To quote MJ ‘heal the world, make it a better place....’

K

I don't think its waste of time but I would have serious doubts about what happens to the huge amounts of waste we ship abroad, especially plastic. In an ideal world we would produce much less waste to begin with.

By *44bertCouple  over a year ago

Inverness

"I was talking about recycling the rubbish and someone said "don't know why you bother, it all ends up together at the end if the day!"

It really saddens me to think of the mountains of land fill...the environmental impact of it all.

"

I used to work in the recycling industry - I can assure you that pretty much everything than can be recycled is recycled.

This is not aimed at you, but this particular conspiracy theory has never made sense to me. I mean, there is an entire industry and thousands of council workers who do this job - somebody would have spilled the beans by now!

B38

"I don't think its waste of time but I would have serious doubts about what happens to the huge amounts of waste we ship abroad, especially plastic. In an ideal world we would produce much less waste to begin with. "

Yes..we should!

I was thinking about lockdown and how it must have had a positive impact in some ways on the environment.

No travel therefore less pollution and a lower carbon footprint.

Less landfill, even if we're just talking take away coffee cups.

B38

"I was talking about recycling the rubbish and someone said "don't know why you bother, it all ends up together at the end if the day!"

I used to work in the recycling industry - I can assure you that pretty much everything than can be recycled is recycled.

This is not aimed at you, but this particular conspiracy theory has never made sense to me. I mean, there is an entire industry and thousands of council workers who do this job - somebody would have spilled the beans by now! "

It just amazes and saddens me that people think that way.

I had no idea what actually happens after it's collected but trusted that it would be recycled.

B38

[Removed by poster at 27/03/21 17:40:08]

B38

"Recycling is never a waste of time. These items are getting recycled again and again and will/do help the environment.

I despair more for the narrow-mindedness of people who think it’s fine to not do their bit!

If we all decided to not bother the impact on the oceans and wildlife would be considerably worse.

To quote MJ ‘heal the world, make it a better place....’

K

"

Yep..I'm down with that idea

B38

"It doesnt all end up the same place.

The stuff that isn't recyclable or mixed waste some goes to landfill, a lot is now being burnt in power stations to generate electricity.

Cheaper to burn it and generate power, also more environmentally friendly with the exhaust gas treatment systems now in place.

The waste from burning, fly ash and bottom ash is also recycled and used in construction materials."

I had no idea...that's good to know

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

We send our plastic to poor countries to deal with.

No idea

But recycling is confusing, bits are, bits aren’t, widely recycled, check locally .... I’m never too sure what is recyclable x

"I don't think its waste of time but I would have serious doubts about what happens to the huge amounts of waste we ship abroad, especially plastic. In an ideal world we would produce much less waste to begin with.

Yes..we should!

I was thinking about lockdown and how it must have had a positive impact in some ways on the environment.

"

Agreed, so many everyday ways we could help. In Germany you can take all glass and cans to supermarkets which have machines that give you about 25p each off your bill, don't know why we can't do that here ?

B38

"I don't think its waste of time but I would have serious doubts about what happens to the huge amounts of waste we ship abroad, especially plastic. In an ideal world we would produce much less waste to begin with.

Yes..we should!

Agreed, so many everyday ways we could help. In Germany you can take all glass and cans to supermarkets which have machines that give you about 25p each off your bill, don't know why we can't do that here ? "

Yes. Any incentive to recycle has got to be a good thing.

It's just a shame that incentives are necessary.

You'd think the environmental impact would be enough!

B38

"We send our plastic to poor countries to deal with. "

I never gave this a thought...that's a bit shit for the poor countries

By *elethWoman  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

The waste from burning, fly ash and bottom ash is also recycled and used in construction materials."

Unfortunately I'm not sure that's always the case. I'm aware of an incinerator so big that it seems not only is waste having to be brought from all over the country to feed it, but recyclables too. There is also much controversy about the toxicity of its smoke output in spite of its filters. The jury on incinerators is very much out, for me.

"We send our plastic to poor countries to deal with.

I never gave this a thought...that's a bit shit for the poor countries "

We are burning more and more soft plastics, bags, wrappings etc. Hard plastics are the problem as they give off huge amounts of chlorine when burnt and it's not possible to clean that from the exhaust gasses.

The waste from burning, fly ash and bottom ash is also recycled and used in construction materials.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that's always the case. I'm aware of an incinerator so big that it seems not only is waste having to be brought from all over the country to feed it, but recyclables too. There is also much controversy about the toxicity of its smoke output in spite of its filters. The jury on incinerators is very much out, for me.

"

The last few I have built, the environmetal limits for the permit are ridiculously tight on exhaust gas emissions. Be surprised how clean it is.

New plant is much cleaner, old stuff built 10 years ago will be dirty as hell.

B38

"No idea

But recycling is confusing, bits are, bits aren’t, widely recycled, check locally .... I’m never too sure what is recyclable x"

I think it can be yes.

If in doubt I recycle it!

By *oxyVikingCouple  over a year ago

East Anglia

"

I don’t know exactly what happens to things, I’d like to think the councils have to do everything they can to minimise stuff going to landfill. We do as much as we can to recycle. “Every little helps” and all of that Freya

B38

I don’t know exactly what happens to things, I’d like to think the councils have to do everything they can to minimise stuff going to landfill. We do as much as we can to recycle. “Every little helps” and all of that Freya "

Yes...All the little bits add up to a big bit

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

We have some crows nesting near us and over the past week or so I’ve watched them build their nest and they’ve put plastic in it.

I have worked with local authorities.There are European rules on how much waste we can dump in landfill

Years ago there was a £600 levy per tonne over that quota

So that’s why LA supplied recycle bins at great cost to all households

So yes where possible it goes to recycling

The problem is cash rich societies throw huge amounts away

India is a super recycler but that’s down to poverty and starving people working rubbish sites for recycleable waste

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Our local council recently changed from boxes for paper/card, cans and glass, plastic to just two full size wheelie bins. Cans, glass and plastic now in one, paper & card in the other. I have a recycle bin in the kitchen where I rinse cleanse and anything that can be is!

I did have a discussion this week about used asthma inhaler devices, of which millions go in the bin because there is no company recycling. One company did try it but those they collected in recycle bins are all now sat in a warehouse because they can’t be recycled

By *aver999Couple  over a year ago

East Mids

We saw this a while back "Dispatches’ programme, Dirty Truth About Your Rubbish" and a previous program. A lot gets incinerated for power and some councils up north send it just across to Europe to get incinerated.

And people with this mind set is what is wrong with the world

Her x

» Add a new message to this topic