FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Knowledge's objectivity

Knowledge's objectivity

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In my opinion, knowledge is subjected to the same biases as the ones who produce it, consequently it can be truly objective. The lens in which knowledge is seek or perceived will influence the result of it.

Knowledge is situated, in a time, place, culture and so on. What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Urmm... 42?

Px

"What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ? "

Exactly. Yesterday was Thursday and today is Friday. But I bet this won't be the case tomorrow.

"What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ?

Exactly. Yesterday was Thursday and today is Friday. But I bet this won't be the case tomorrow. "

Thought we were Tuesday

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

"

In my opinion, knowledge is subjected to the same biases as the ones who produce it, consequently it can be truly objective. The lens in which knowledge is seek or perceived will influence the result of it.

Knowledge is situated, in a time, place, culture and so on. What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ? "

Is water wet? Do you breath when living? Is every solid, liquid, gas, and plasma composed of neutral or ionized atoms?

"What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ?

Exactly. Yesterday was Thursday and today is Friday. But I bet this won't be the case tomorrow.

Thought we were Tuesday "

We'll always have Tuesday

I doubt it. There have been studies that show how researchers will consistently interpret data to fit their preconceptions. I'm not sure if those studies themselves have been proven to be free of confirmation bias. It's a bit of a catch 22!

By *layful HarlequinMan  over a year ago

uxbridge

"Urmm... 42?

Px "

And a beach towel

But we can look at knowledge objectively can’t we? Whisky it changes and depends upon as you say many biases, it doesn’t mean the knowledge or information at that time is biased if we are objective.

"

Knowledge is situated, in a time, place, culture and so on. What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ? Is water wet? Do you breath when living? Is every solid, liquid, gas, and plasma composed of neutral or ionized atoms? "

I do see your point there, I should have clarified that I was talking about how knowledge rules how social world. People thought was colonisation was a good thing. Not anymore. Not a lot who will publicly admit it

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

This is the reason the scientific method was made.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think objectivity is a goal, but never an obtainable one. There's more and less objective, but we're invariably infallible to our biases and cognitive deficits.

"I doubt it. There have been studies that show how researchers will consistently interpret data to fit their preconceptions. I'm not sure if those studies themselves have been proven to be free of confirmation bias. It's a bit of a catch 22!"

Exactly. Therefore I cant be sure be sure of anything

Manchester (she/her)

Fallible. Ffs

"This is the reason the scientific method was made.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method"

It doesn't mean that that method is truly objective and stripped off from the researchers' subjectivities.

w

It doesn't mean that that method is truly objective and stripped off from the researchers' subjectivities. "

Which is why experiments are often repeated by different people, double blind controls exist, and there specific measures put in place to remove bias as much as possible.

It’s not perfect but it’s the best we got and it’s invented everything you see before you, it’s the reason most of us are alive, so it’s gotta work

Manchester (she/her)

It doesn't mean that that method is truly objective and stripped off from the researchers' subjectivities. "

I see the scientific method as a way to compensate for our cognitive frailties.

"But we can look at knowledge objectively can’t we? Whisky it changes and depends upon as you say many biases, it doesn’t mean the knowledge or information at that time is biased if we are objective. "

Actually it does, if your biases have influenced the production of knowledge.

It doesn't mean that that method is truly objective and stripped off from the researchers' subjectivities.

Which is why experiments are often repeated by different people, double blind controls exist, and there specific measures put in place to remove bias as much as possible.

It’s not perfect but it’s the best we got and it’s invented everything you see before you, it’s the reason most of us are alive, so it’s gotta work "

Oh yes definitely but still... It doesn't make it objective nonetheless

Watermelons will always be good for you, that’s just one of the basics. And leafblowers on tits will always be mesmerising, I feel these things are truly objective facts.

w

It’s not perfect but it’s the best we got and it’s invented everything you see before you, it’s the reason most of us are alive, so it’s gotta work

Oh yes definitely but still... It doesn't make it objective nonetheless "

Dunno then. What’s your opinion on it?

For me, if they want to land on the moon and they did it, that to me means it’s worked

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"

Knowledge is situated, in a time, place, culture and so on. What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ? "

Tripe

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

You're taking the epistemology

Manchester (she/her)

"

Knowledge is situated, in a time, place, culture and so on. What was true yesterday, isn't necessarily true today, so can knowledge be truly objective ?

You're taking the epistemology "

"

Tripe "

Beef, sheep or pig?

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"

Tripe

Beef, sheep or pig?

"

Oink ??

"

I prefer it when you talk about tits

Truth and knowledge are often reframed, it’s an interesting perspective and arguably one of the few truths out there is that a lot of knowledge is ever changing in varying contexts.

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Duns

There’s data, there’s information and then there’s knowledge - as each step is processed into the next as understanding, humans must be involved and there is always room for biases to interfere.

There’s also the issue of having some knowledge but not some different piece, and the biased view that could create in a person.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

True we can see this by the MMR vaccine scare. How scientists can publish in high impact journals based on their own bias.

We plan experiments we think will work so there is an inherent bias in that.

"Watermelons will always be good for you, that’s just one of the basics. And leafblowers on tits will always be mesmerising, I feel these things are truly objective facts."

Haha I can't argue with you there ! Still have to try both though

Oh yes definitely but still... It doesn't make it objective nonetheless

Dunno then. What’s your opinion on it?

For me, if they want to land on the moon and they did it, that to me means it’s worked"

Yes but that achievement where based on calculation, that is a different form of knowledge.

I truly believe that knowing is absolute. Especially when it comes to the production of knowledge. Knowledge that will become taken for granted knowledge depending on the period.

Sl*very was legal and actually based on the belief was black were not humans. It is not true but was true to them (the whites who claimed it, in order to validate and justify their behaviour).

By *roticusCouple  over a year ago

Porthmadog

If we are talking semantics, surely knowledge is simply something that is known. There is no requirement for it to be factual. The role of science is to establish the facts from the known.

It is known that smoke rises. It is a fact that this is caused by convection.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Knowledge is a concept; therefore objective.

By *ondon MikeMan  over a year ago

St Albans

Knowledge is back by maths and science, neither of which claim to 'prove' anything.

Correct concepts are not proved, incorrect ones are disproved. The maths and science only provide supportive data which can change over time - example science used to believe the moon originally broke off from Australia, now it doesn't but both were considered knowledge in their time.

My favourite Einstein quote "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong".

But people believe verifications and statistics are real.

This thread requires deep thinking.

*Parks submarine at the bottom of Mariana trench*

"

Knowledge is factual. The facts seem to point out your lame ass attempt at looking intelligent, you just portray arrogance

I think you’ve been thinking to much beardy one

"

Knowledge is factual. The facts seem to point out your lame ass attempt at looking intelligent, you just portray arrogance "

How on earth is he being arrogant? Do you not understand the question?

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

People are biased and seek to confirm those biases.

Facts are inalienable and the burden of proof is to confirm those facts.

People are flawed creatures that look for tangible and solid proof of what they want to understand, in order to improve.

We may learn and try to understand what we seek in order to confirm our biases but that doesn’t alter the nature of the facts themselves.

In short, no

"

Knowledge is factual. The facts seem to point out your lame ass attempt at looking intelligent, you just portray arrogance

How on earth is he being arrogant? Do you not understand the question?"

If something was true yesterday, the face it was true yesterday is a fact...

By *ondon MikeMan  over a year ago

St Albans

"But people believe verifications and statistics are real. "

Agreed, but believing something doesn't necessarily mean it is so.

For example, 100% of ravens that have ever been seen and recorded have been black so it's reasonable to accept "ravens are black" to be a fact because that's what the statistics say. But if one is born albino one day (in the past or future) then the fact is incorrect regardless of what the stats may say.

This area fascinates me, particularly whether there is such a thing as an "absolute truth". I don't want to derail the thread too deeply but would be more than happy to continue in DM or Kik if anyone is interested in discussing.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

london

Evidence based medicine is ridiculously biased by the preconceptions of doctors that gather the evidence ...to reinforce their bias ...and so the circle of ignorance goes on ...

"

Knowledge is factual. The facts seem to point out your lame ass attempt at looking intelligent, you just portray arrogance "

someone seems a little bit on the edge there , hopefully tomorrow you'll be okay

"

someone seems a little bit on the edge there , hopefully tomorrow you'll be okay"

Fight, fight, fight, kiss

"

someone seems a little bit on the edge there , hopefully tomorrow you'll be okay"

Unfortunately that is just opinion and not fact

"

someone seems a little bit on the edge there , hopefully tomorrow you'll be okay

Unfortunately that is just opinion and not fact"

at least you got that right

"

at least you got that right "

"

at least you got that right

"

Mwah on your bellend x

"

I guess it could. Or maybe the knowledge doesn't change but maybe our perceptions and thought process change over time as we mature and as we assimilate new knowledge.

Could also be physiological as we get older our memory fades clouding the perception so we are left with a version of events rather than the knowledge we had at that moment in time.

Interesting F&B very interesting

"

I have an opinion on this. Past ideas effect future ideas as well...Its like a stack of cards

I could waste years wondering about this... Going with the flow is adequate in most cases

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Very postmodern!

Which is a good thing. Postmodernism got smeared by right wing 'thinkers' and should be reclaimed. It's important.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I have given this a great deal of thought, and come to the following conclusion: too much thinking gives me a headache.

Manchester (she/her)

"Very postmodern!

Which is a good thing. Postmodernism got smeared by right wing 'thinkers' and should be reclaimed. It's important. "

Talk dirty like that some more

"

They say the lifts there are so swift that your tits kiss your ball bag on the way up! .

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"Very postmodern!

Which is a good thing. Postmodernism got smeared by right wing 'thinkers' and should be reclaimed. It's important.

Talk dirty like that some more "

Haha, for you anytime

"

They say the lifts there are so swift that your tits kiss your ball bag on the way up! .

"

Sorry wrong thread.

"I have given this a great deal of thought, and come to the following conclusion: too much thinking gives me a headache. "

Ha

Personally I prefer the hits from constant climaxing when I cum

» Add a new message to this topic