FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > VOLKSWAGON SCIRROCCO

VOLKSWAGON SCIRROCCO

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *unlovers OP   Couple  over a year ago

rotherham

Does anyone know much about these cars as I have a warning light on and want to know how serious it is

I know its a daft question to ask in here but thought there might be some guys in the room that own one

Tried phoning for help but they are closed

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

Which light?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is it more than 3 years old ? If not get it checked out ! On the warranty

How old is the car…. ie, MK1 or MK2?

Most VW have the similar electronics… best to google a VW forum and join (most are free) and ask in there.

Many folks in there will have a lead to plug into your car and find out whats up, probably just cost you a few beer tokens.

Or, just take it to a dealer, VW preferably but if its urgent and VW are too far away, yoy may find a Skoda, Seat or Audi dealer will have a look for you.

steve

London

Even the smallest backstreet garage has a code reader now and should be able to reset the light

The problem arises when one code can mean several faults

rotherham

Its 3 years old in september

Something to do with exhaust it says in manual.....we planning a run to arousals on sat night and not sure if it will be safe

it could be the dpf not getting up to a high enough temp if your not doing long runs... need to take for a run and burn off all the particles in the dpf.... IF thats whats wrong........

rotherham

Hubby has just taken it for a good thrashing down the motorway and the light has now gone out so you must be right

Possibly cos i dont go far in it and its a car that likes a good kicking which i darent do

xxxx

Thanx for all your help guys

xx

"Its 3 years old in september

Something to do with exhaust it says in manual.....we planning a run to arousals on sat night and not sure if it will be safe"

That could be a problem with the catalytic converter. If it's not yet 3yrs old, go to the nearest VW main dealer as that should be covered by the original warranty. DON'T LEAVE IT cos if you are pulled by a roadside vehicle check, it's possibly polluting and you'll end up with points in your licence because of it. Had exactly that happen with a Zafira last year and now I have 6pts to show for it....

"How old is the car…. ie, MK1 or MK2?

Most VW have the similar electronics… best to google a VW forum and join (most are free) and ask in there.

Many folks in there will have a lead to plug into your car and find out whats up, probably just cost you a few beer tokens.

Or, just take it to a dealer, VW preferably but if its urgent and VW are too far away, yoy may find a Skoda, Seat or Audi dealer will have a look for you.

steve"

Cost us £75 to just have it plugged in and checked

By *hite SnakeMan  over a year ago

leeds

If its a petrol engine it wont have a dpf but it could be the lamda sensor instead.

London

Could be the egr valve sensor

Very cheap to fix, always play up on vag cars

"Hubby has just taken it for a good thrashing down the motorway and the light has now gone out so you must be right

Possibly cos i dont go far in it and its a car that likes a good kicking which i darent do

xxxx

Thanx for all your help guys

xx"

Is it petrol or diesel? Is the light Amber or Red...generally Amber is less of a concern than Red. If the car is under 3 years old though you will have Roadside Assistance (comes with the car) and most VW Group cars have warning light guides in the Manual...might even be a quick reference guide too.

If it is diesel then could well be the DPF if the light has now gone out...they do occasionally need a 10-15 minutes blast at around 40-50mph in a lower gear than usual if your doing a lot of short stop start journeys to get the exhaust up to temperature to burn the 'crap' off...this would normally happen on longer journeys without any need for extra running, but you can get a build up if you do a lot of short stop/start journeys x

Go onto volkszone.co.uk it's vw special site lovely people (like me lol) and there's a few posts on the car there

rotherham

Some brilliant advice on here and thanks again

The light is now out but im still worried because of the short distance i do to work and back every day but will have to get hubby to blast it every now and again if thats the case

As long as im not damaging anaything

xxx

"Some brilliant advice on here and thanks again

The light is now out but im still worried because of the short distance i do to work and back every day but will have to get hubby to blast it every now and again if thats the case

As long as im not damaging anaything

xxx"

Is it like a little rectangle with dots in the middle and pipes leading in and out? like an exhaust full of spots? If it is, that's basically telling you to run the regen process...which is the taking it for a run to burn the crap off. If this is the first time it's come on since you bought the car nearly 3 years ago I wouldn't worry...however if it keeps coming on then you may want to nip into the centre to have it checked

If you google VW DPF filter it will bring up a page on the VW website explaining the filter and the regen process x

Tell me it's not the bluemotion , if it is then your looking at 600 to replace the part ! Bluemotion not good unless motorway miles

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

We remove these units (DPF) from lots of different cars not just VW's on a daily basis as they are very troublesome and very costly. even if you bought your car new only a few weeks previous and the DPF light came on the dealers would not fix it under warranty as they tell people "It is the way you are driving it" I have even heard of one instance of a customer grabbing hold of the service manager after being told he was not driving his car right People who buy new diesel powered cars are not being told about the problems these cars are giving and this problem is getting worse . If you are thinking about buying a new diesel car please google "DPF PROBLEMS" first.

"We remove these units (DPF) from lots of different cars not just VW's on a daily basis as they are very troublesome and very costly. even if you bought your car new only a few weeks previous and the DPF light came on the dealers would not fix it under warranty as they tell people "It is the way you are driving it" I have even heard of one instance of a customer grabbing hold of the service manager after being told he was not driving his car right People who buy new diesel powered cars are not being told about the problems these cars are giving and this problem is getting worse . If you are thinking about buying a new diesel car please google "DPF PROBLEMS" first. "

It's more driving style than bad driving though...people do need to be better advised, but a lot buy at a distance via internet brokers these days so they don't get the right advice. You should only really get an engine with a DPF filter if you are going to be doing some longer journeys...wouldn't advise them to anyone doing less than about 8/9k pa and/or doing mainly shorter town journeys. You will find that some dealers will do a regeneration once, but they won't replace the parts as it isn't a fault with the part to be fair. I know there have been lots of complaints about them, but it is generally due to being misinformed. Diesel isn't always more cost effective than petrol, especially on lower mileages, but there seems to be a perception that it is x

» Add a new message to this topic